Start by marking “Heartless” as Want to Read:
Heartless

Heartless

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  71,603 ratings  ·  14,218 reviews
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland—the infamous Queen of Hearts—she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend. But according to her mother, such a
Published November 8th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.
John YES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of…moreYES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of Cinder. It's action, adventure, romance and SCI FI all rolled into one. (less)
Laura Heff I just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad…moreI just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad I don't have that "I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR?!" feeling I was anticipating. I'm a middle school English teacher and am excited to use this book as my next book recommendation for my classes. Marissa Meyer does an amazing job appealing to both girls and boys - I do wish the marketing were better towards both genders. I have to "trick" a guy or two into reading her by putting them into a Cinder book club for class and then all of the sudden they are off and devouring the Lunar Chronicles as if it were their own idea - what more could a teacher ask for? Thank you, Marissa!(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,119 books — 9,695 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,313 books — 6,922 voters

More lists with this book...

·  71,603 ratings  ·  14,218 reviews

C.G. Drews
It started off so so well with immense amounts of baking and the promise of the bizarre and creative nonsense that every Wonderland retelling should hold. But then...disappointment.

I had high expectations due to my love of the Cinder & Co and also because I'm a rabid lover of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland. Sadly, the only Wonderland story that's impressed me so far is Splintered. Everything else...meh meh. And Heartless falls into the puddle of squash too.

L I K E S:

There is literally so much CAKE/>•There/>L
Emily May
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
“These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,” he said, vanishing up to his neck. “They happen only in nightmares.”
His head spiralled and he was gone.

This was so good. Meyer's writing and stories just seem to keep improving, and her latest foray into the world of Alice in Wonderland was exactly the right combination of prophecy, romance, Victorian-style female repression, and weirdness. It was unputdownable.

Also: I really really want macarons right now.

I mentioned this befo
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Cheshire’s yellow eyes slitted as he held her gaze for one beat, two. Then he began to unravel from the tip of his tail, a slow unwinding of his stripes. ‘These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,’ he said, vanishing up to his neck. ‘They happen only in nightmares.’

Honestly, I didn't have high expectations for this book after reading the "...she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love" blurb. Fortunately, I was wrong. This book was great. Don't get me wrong, it was unexpectedly dark at some poin
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Kindle US $2.99 today 11-27-17

OMG! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE WHITE EDITION OF THIS BOOK TO GO WITH MY BLACK ONE AND WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE TO FIND THAT IT CAME IN MY NOVEMBER OWL CRATE BOX! IN THE PICTURES I PLACED THE BLACK ONE NEXT TO THE WHITE ONE THAT WAS AN OWL CRATE EXCLUSIVE, JUST SO YOU COULD SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE TOGETHER! I LOVE THEM BOTH. ALSO GOT OTHER GOODIES IN THE BOX AS USUAL! YAY! OWL CRATE FOR GETTING THE SECOND COVER (white) AND ME GETTING IT TOO. LOL

Kindle US $2.99 today 11-27-17

Lets freaking do this party people!!! Yasssss!!! Woot!!!

This made it to my favorites lists! And just look at the gorgeous cover!

I was lucky enough to get a magnetic bookmark and a recipe! ♥

This is one of the best, if not the best, retelling of Wonderland I have ever read! Although, I don't think I have ever read a prequel to the Alice story but Marissa Meyer pulled this one off brilliantly. In my opinion anyway.

I am in love with Jest!

I love all of the characters, even the evil characters are written beautifully! I am just in love with this book and oh the name "Heartless" had meaning on so many levels. You will find out when you read it.

All Cath wants in life is to have her own bakery with her best friend. But that is not to be, she can't do something as lowly as that, her parents want her to marry the King of Hearts. Sigh, Cath doesn't want to marry him, he's just, no . . . no . . . no . . . if she were to ever get married it would be someone she chose and fell in love with and she could bake and make the most wonderful tarts and pies in the world. She already does in their part of the world anyway.

Then Cath meets the wonderful Jest and has to figure out how she can love him and do what her parents and the King want at the same time. <--- Not a spoiler, it's pretty much in the blurb.

There are wonderful creatures in the book as there always is in Wonderland. Rocking-horse flies, with are really little rocking horse flies that are really horses and they fly (lol). Talking candles, animals, and everything else in between. We have Hatta who makes the brilliant hats of course, we have rabbit and the jabberwock and things and stuff and what not. It is just filled with great things.

But not all things in fairy tales have a happily ever after. It's very sad and I hated it but it put a new insight on things to come. Even so, I still loved the book so much! ♥

and thus it begins . . .

I hope a lot of people will love this book as much as I did ♥

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, fantasy, retellings
Review/discussion: https://youtu.be/YSd8MDc98_0

Reread January 2017
Bumped rating up to 5 stars.
I decided to reread this in a 24 hour period because I want to write a paper on it (which is of course due in a couple of days). I loved it even more the second time around!

Original reading October 2016
4.5*
I loved this, but I did have a couple of issues. I was sent the audiobook to review (and do a giveaway on my channel soon!) from Macmillan so a big thank you to them! My video review
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing

❝Now mine eyes see the heart that once we did search for, and I fear this heart shall be mended, nevermore.❞

A big thanks to Macmillan and Fierce Reads for giving me the opportunity to snag a beautiful box and ARC of Heartless at YallWest!

(Review will be posted once we are closer to release day)

Heartless was beautifully tragic. I have no words to describe just how broken this book has left my heart.

That ending... Ugh. HEARTBREAKING.

FANS OF THE LUNAR CHRONICLES:
Beware. You might have a new favorite coming soon. ;)
emma
UPDATE: I think...oh god...I think this book put me in a reading slump.
-------------------------------
At a certain point, I really have to start blaming myself. Do I have no idea of my own interests? Because I truly thought this would end up on my all-time favorites shelf, my first add to an as-yet-nonexistent 2017 favorites list. Is that not a fair expectation? After all, Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book, Marissa Meyer one of my favorite authors. This came in the best Owlcrat
Nat
Dec 23, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
description
Source

This review contains *spoilers* for the first half of this book.

Heartless is an epic retelling of Alice in Wonderland, with the focus being on The Queen of Hearts.

All Catherine wants is to be declared the office tart baker of the kingdom. She and her best friend, Mary Ann, dream of launching their very own bakery. Even their friendship hit it off upon discovering one another's mutual love for food:

“One wouldn’t know it to look at Mary Ann, but she had an appetite to rival Cath’s own. They’d bonded over their love of food years ago, not lofood:
“Onebook.
Gillian Berry

I REQUIRE THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE IMMEDIATELY.

Marissa's announcement
Lola
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
Like many people, I hate the Queen of Hearts. But perhaps that is too strong of a word, seeing that she does entertain me. Still, I dislike her tremendously.

Which is why I needed to read this book. I needed to see what made the Queen of Hearts become such a blubbering, humourless, merciless and heartless terror.

The first chapters boggled my mind, before I got used to seeing Catherine Pinkerton being so pliable, understanding and simply GOOD. But you know what, life is dif
Natalie Monroe

“When pleased, I beat like a drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back. What am I?”

Slow clap for Marissa Meyer for another amazing fairy tale retelling. Looking at the blurb, it's hard to imagine Catherine, who just wanted to open a bakery and fall in love, would ever become the short-tempered, unpredictable Queen of Hearts we all know.

The transformation is incredibly well-done. You know it's coming, tha
stars
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”It had been a hazy, beautiful dream, and in it there had been a hazy, beautiful boy. He was dressed all in black and standing in an orchard of lemon trees, and she had the distinct sensation that he had something that belonged to her. She didn’t know what it was, only that she wanted it back, but every time she took a step towards him he receded further and further away.”

And so it begins! The transformation of Lady Catherine Pinkerton of Turtle Rock Cove into the Queen of Hearts! When I star
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

With all due respect to the hatter, I am so mad, that's not even funny. That's what being trolled by a novel feels like, I guess. Above that, I am so, so disappointed. Indeed, it's no secret that my reading time has been seriously reduced over the previous months, making me wonder if I should stay on GR, because what's the point?! Heartless, though? It sounded so amazing that I made room for it, school and politics be damned. I wish I would have loved it, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. Sigh.

Me : You don't
Bibi
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arrrgggh... I can feel the knives being sharpened. *gulp*

So, can we talk about this book first before you send the knife my way?

Heartless is an imagined prequel to Alice in Wonderland but with its main focus being the "Queen of Hearts", she of the famous "Off with their heads" quote.

Arrrgggh... I can feel the knives being sharpened. *gulp*

So, can we talk about this book first before you send the knife my way?

photo 26926e15-1b5c-426b-8489-6b0e19db04fa_zpslsykouv3.png

Alice in Wonderland is a fantastical story written in 1865 by Lewis Carrol, who created the glorious dystopian world of Wonderland replete with a talking cheshire cat, a bumbling rabbit, knaves, Jabberwocks and much more. I truly liked and enjoyed Alice in Wonderland; the book and the movie.

As this is my first Meyer book, I went into this with zero bias but with an expectation of getting, at the least, a fabulous intro to this best-selling author's work and at most, a thrilling account of the QOH's descent into madness. And yes, there is a good reason. A very tragic one, in fact.

So, who was the QOH? The book blurb -below- does a spiffing job of summarizing the story perfectly. Emphasis by me.

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend.....

Then Cath meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker.......... she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

Let's talk about the parts that were underlined.

One. (view spoiler)

Two. Desired by whom? (view spoiler)

Three. Gosh, I'd never wanted a pie so badly. (view spoiler) So, yes, mad props to Catherine for her baking skills.

Four. Jest. The mysterious Joker who mesmerizes Cath, both with his talent and his beauty. (view spoiler)

Meyer had taken enough literary liberties with this story and could have done so much more with Jest. So much more. (view spoiler) Their love was supposedly forbidden therefore I expected frothing emotions and escalating tensions. I wanted to feel that heart-pounding despair evoked by young and desperate lovers who could not exist without the other.

Had Meyer not spent more time invoking the spirit of the original AIW, had she not included any and every character from that book, Jest and Catherine may have had more time together building their longing for each other. Between the croquet matches; the uninteresting balls; Catherine's never-will-happen dream of opening a bakery; and the detailed descriptions of the aforementioned endless list of creatures; these two had less than 5 intimate moments. 5! In a book with 450+ pages!

Of the 450+pages, nearly 360 pages were nothing more than a retelling of the original AIW, the story only picks up momentum at the 80% mark but by which point,
I. WAS. FRIGGING. BORED. OUT. OF. MY. MIND.

(view spoiler) And thus, we finally are gifted with the whys of her apparent madness. Ultimately, Meyer does serve up a plausible accounting of the Queen's descent into madness, but like I said, during the entire journey to that conclusion:
I. WAS. FRIGGING. BORED. OUT. OF. MY. FRIGGING. MIND.

Melanie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Mary
Heartless blew me away. If you've been following my reviews for a while, you will know that I wasn't the biggest fan of The Lunar Chronicles. Yes, I know, I can barely believe it either. So, I went into this book not expecting much, and maybe that helped, because this book blew me away. It surpassed every expectation I set for a five star book, and it was nothing short of perfection.

Also, regarding The Lunar Chronicles, Fairest was my favorite installment in that series, and the book I gave the highest rating. So, maybe I just really enjoy "villain
Simona Bartolotta
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

"She would not allow fate to trick her out of this dream."

I almost didn't read this. I thought, Oh well, another retelling. It can wait. I've got more promising things to read at the moment. But when I saw how stunning this hardback was, the shallower half of me immediately decided she had to read it like yesterday.
Have I mentioned how much I love Shallow-Me?

•First of all, I think Marissa Meyer showed great wisdom in the choice of the story. Retelling the Queen of Hearts gave her
maram ☂︎
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Red Roses

"A finely crafted hat makes a person ... bolder."

This is my first novel from Marissa Meyer and I have to say that I'm very happy with what I got. I pretty much went into it with no expectation. I only knew that it's somehow a retelling of Alice in Wonderland but really, it's the villain's story before she became the notorious Queen of Hearts and that was intriguing enough for me. Yet, Meyer managed to fill it up with a beautiful and fast-paced story that I was hooked from sta/>"A
Elena
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
They were all a little mad, if one was to be forthright.

BUDDY READ WITH SUNNY, MY FAVORITE CHILD.

Okay so, it's a big surprise I enjoyed this. I knew I would simply because it's Marissa Meyer and she did not disappoint me with her Lunar Chronicles series, so I knew this would happen. Marissa is the only author that is able to write novels that captivate me from the very first sentence. To be honest, I dislike retellings a lot. I won't say I hate them, but we aren't very good friends. Every retelling I read (o
Anne
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF 53%
I almost never give up on a book, but...
Yikes. Um. Yeah, no.
Sorry this one just isn't for me. I tried. But, it was just too boring for my personal taste.
I should probably mention that I'm not an Alice in Wonderland fan. I've never read it, and I never plan to. In fact, I've never even made it all the way through the Disney movie. I know it's a classic and all, but even the animated version bores me.

description

I'm not saying this sto
Tiea Martin
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
ANOTHER BOOK BY MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE AUTHOR?!!!??
excited photo: SNL - Excited Trek fans gif STSNLTrekkiesExcited.gif

pouting photo: goaway.gif
P
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“Roses are red, violets are blue,
I would even trim my moustache for you!”

This book is magic. I could feel it everywhere when words were recounted, when songs were chanted and when hearts were broken. Other than that, the book made me giggle continually. Catherine has the great development since the beginning. Her character is played out an exact direction as a good girl constrained by traditions. And then she meets Jest, her heart is conveyed out of the path of marrying the King of Hearts. Cath was
Sophie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I cried.

IN DEPTH VIDEO REVIEW COMING SOON.

I... am speechless.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. — Oscar Wilde

Heartless is such an emotional masterpiece. If The Lunar Chronicles gave you a lot of feels, then this book will give you tons more. I cannot go into detail in fear of spoiling anyone. However, trust me when I say that this book won't make you think about rainbows, unicorns, cotton candy, and the like. After all, it's about the early life on an anti-hero.

Since Heartless is a prequel to Alice in Wonderland, it i/>
Joelle (Throne of books)
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
   *3.5 stars*
Heartless by Marissa Meyer is an Alice in Wonderland prequel set long before the infamous Queen of Hearts was the terror of Wonderland. Back when she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

While being one of the most beautiful girls in wonderland and a favorite of the King of Hearts, as a talented baker all Catherine wants is to open a bakery with her best friend.  Unfortunately, her parents such a dream is absurd for someone who could be the next queen.
  Not r
alexandra ling
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016, macmillan
***FULL REVIEW ORIGINALLY AT www.twirlingpages.com!

marissa meyer twisted together a tale that is different, and yet familiar.

i had high expectations going on HEARTLESS. marissa meyer is one of my favorite authors and ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of my favorite stories. naturally, the mix would be amazing. but this book is nothing like THE LUNAR CHRONICLES, and this story is not your ordinary retelling. i came to love the story and its characters, but i do have s/>marissa*** ...more
Charlotte May
“These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,’ he said, vanishing up to his neck. ‘They happen only in nightmares.’

This was great! In the beginning, I wasn’t sure - it was rather cutesy, and I found Cath slightly irritating.
But as I carried on, this book grew darker and darker! I loved being immersed in Meyer’s version of Wonderland, with many characters to be recognised; including the Caterpillar, the White Rabbit, the Hatter, March Hare, Doormouse, Cheshire Cat and even Mary-Ann for any
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒

My Rating:

Synopsis:

“It was impossible, and she absolutely believed it.”

Catherine Pinkerton lives in Hearts. She is the only daughter of Marquess and Marchioness. King of Hearts fancies her to be his wife and Queen of Hearts. But Catherine has other plans. The throne of Hearts does not appeal her. She is a baker at heart and has a dream of opening her own bakery where she could make delectables that no one has ever tasted. But that is not the only thing she dreams about.

Both her dreams can lead her astray from a reput
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Marissa Meyer has recently become one of my honoured auto-buy authors. I read Cinder about a year and half ago, not really expecting much, and surprised myself by obsessing and devouring the rest of the Lunar Chronicles Books in record time.

I read Alice in Wonderland ten years ago and the Disney movie was one of my favou
Drew
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
“If ever I get married, I want there to be romance, and passion. I want to fall in love.”

4 1/2 stars. This book broke my heart. What a cruel ending. And yet, I saw it coming the whole time, which probably made it even harder to bear.

Oh my goodness, this book! I loved it so much and I think I'm in danger of becoming a hardcore Marissa Meyer fan. Like, I want to go to her house and demand she write a sequel. And bring a certain character back to life. *sobs*

Heartless is an evil, torturous addictive, clever retelling of Alice in Wonderland. It follows the Queen of Hearts' backstory—how did she become a tyrannic ruler with the bad habit of beheading people?

Meet Catherine, the daughter of a Marquess, who loves to bake and has every intention of opening up her own bakery. But her parents have other ideas and want her to marry the King of Hearts, who has taken an interest in her. Cath suddenly finds herself whisked into a courtship with the silly, unintelligent King, while at the same time falling for Jest, the King's Joker.

I loved the romance so much. Jest was ridiculously sexy and had me swooning nearly the minute his character was introduced. There was so much chemistry between Cath and he; I wanted Cath to find a way to marry Jest and understood her frustration toward her parents, who only cared about Cath becoming Queen.

There were many other wonderful characters such as Cheshire, Hatta, and Raven that held similarities to the original characters with Meyer's own unique spin. In an imaginative, dreamlike world full of quests, prophecies, kingdoms, forbidden love, and sweets that made my mouth water, the twisty plot took different directions and was full of so much goodness. Individual scenes were perfection and I loved the touches of humor that reminded me of The Lunar Chronicles.

“Are you here for a reason, Cheshire?”
“Why, yes, I would enjoy a cup of tea. I take mine with lots of cream, and no tea.”

Probably the best thing—though it was also the most heartbreaking—was Cath's gradual unraveling of a smart, headstrong, lovable girl into a cold, ruthless Queen. I knew it was coming, but I was never quite prepared for it. The ending was dark and gory and Cath's change was a disturbing one. I think it shows the sign of a good writer when you find yourself able to care so deeply about a villain.

“She spoke without feeling, unburdened by love or dreams or the pain of a broken heart. It was a new day in Hearts, and she was the Queen.”

A new, exciting take on Lewis Carroll's world.
Denisse
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5Marissa, you creative human being. I love you. But YA is no longer a genre I enjoy. Heartless has both respect for the source material and enough imagination to become something unique, as it has been the author style so far. But as any YA book, it leaves its most heavy plot lines to rest in the shoulders of young romance, which I have always found difficult to read. It is a good young adult story, with great characters and great ending and I cannot not recommend a Marissa Meyer. I enjoyed the read, nothing ...more

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Other Worlds
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • The Forbidden Wish
  • Shadows on the Moon (The Moonlit Lands, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Stitching Snow
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • Belle: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Twilight of the Gods
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
  • Dreamstrider
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)
  • The Iron Warrior (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #3)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

“But hoping," he said, "is how the impossible can be possible after all.” 448 likes
“It is a dangerous thing to unbelieve something only because it frightens you.” 377 likes