The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

102 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.6 - Mazza1's Task: First Friday

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 07, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
30.6 - Mazza1's Task: First Friday
This year I have been lucky enough to get tickets for Wimbledon in their lottery draw. They are for the First Friday and I am very excited. That term First Friday brought back other memories which are the basis of this task

THIS IS A 2 BOOK TASK - choose 1 book from each of 2 different options. REQUIRED: state the options you chose in your post.

No books with the main page genre childrens or kids may be used for this task.

Option 1
First Friday at Wimbledon always falls in late June or early July

Read a book first published between 25th June and July 7th, inclusive, of any year. The publication date must be stated in the Goodreads record.

Option 2
First Fridays are the base of a Novena in the Roman Catholic Church that my mum was always encouraging us to do. You have to attend Mass on 9 consecutive First Fridays to attain the Novena. I realise not everyone has a religious idealism so for this task read a book from the first 2 pages of any of these lists

Catholic Fiction
Notable Atheist Books
Wicca and other Pagan based Fiction

Note: There are several compilations on these lists. You may read any one book included in the compilation, as long as it has been separately published as an individual book and otherwise meets SRC requirements (length, etc.). In your post, along with the information about the list and number, include a link to the separately published book you read.

REQUIRED: State the list and the page number on which your book is found when posting your completed task.

option 3
First Friday is both alliterative and a tautogram

Read a book whose title, not including subtitles, exceeds two words and is either alliterative or a tautogram

ALLITERATION
The occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words - "the alliteration of ‘sweet birds sang’"
Alliteration is predominantly phonetic so 2 or more words need to start with the same sound - they may start with the same letter but that is not essential. The alliterative words do not need to be next to each other but should not be separated by more than 2 other words.
Examples: The Silver Circle has 2 words that start with the same sounds but not same letter.
The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant has 3 alliterative words that start with the Uh sound and coincidentally also start with the same letter

The alliteration may include, but not consist entirely of, articles (a, an, the) or conjunctions (and, but). For instance, The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted: And All the Brilliant Minds Who Made The Mary Tyler Moore Show a Classic would not work, because the alliterative words are entirely articles (the) or conjunctions (and).

TAUTOGRAM
A text in which all words start with the same letter.
Terribly Twisted Tales is a tautogram, since all words start with the same letter


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments I found a combo for this task that I'm excited about. I've been wanting to read this two-book series for more than a year and this is the perfect task for them!

Option 2: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. This is found on the Pagan list.

Option 3: First Frost, the sequel to Garden Spells


message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Will this work for option 3?

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built

Thanks


message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments who can resist a book called The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...not I


message 8: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments So for option 3. Would Speak Easy, Speak Love work?


message 9: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 26, 2017 06:06AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments BriKie wrote: "I found a combo for this task that I'm excited about. I've been wanting to read this two-book series for more than a year and this is the perfect task for them!

First Frost will not work for option 3 as it is only a 2 word title - titles need to be more than 2 words



message 10: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Will this work for option 3?

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built

Thanks"


I am going to say yes for the alliteration they are all T sounds


message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments JennRenee wrote: "So for option 3. Would Speak Easy, Speak Love work?"

yes


message 12: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Dee wrote: "who can resist a book called The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...not I"

OH god Dee which list is that on


message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Marie wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Will this work for option 3?

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built

Thanks"

I am going to say yes for the alliteration they are all T sounds"


SUPER--- Thank you!


message 14: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments For option 3, would The Third Target work?


message 15: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Bea wrote: "For option 3, would The Third Target work?"

it would indeed it is a tautogram


message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 628 comments Is this enough alliteration?

Blood and Beauty: The Borgias

Thank you


message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Marie wrote: "Dee wrote: "who can resist a book called The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...not I"

OH god Dee which list is that on"


its on the atheist list


message 18: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Kim wrote: "Is this enough alliteration?

Blood and Beauty: The Borgias

Thank you"


we are only counting the title but yes that is enough


message 19: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Oh I misread the directions as "at least two words." I'm glad I posted. How about these instead?

Kind of Kin
The Lonely Hearts Hotel
Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives


message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Please confirm Between the Devil and Desire for option 3 - alliteration.
Thanks.


message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3611 comments Alliteration: Town Talking

The Whole Town's Talking


message 22: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments BriKie wrote: "Oh I misread the directions as "at least two words." I'm glad I posted. How about these instead?

Kind of Kin
The Lonely Hearts Hotel
[book:Better Than Before: Mast..."


they work


message 23: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Between the Devil and Desire for option 3 - alliteration.
Thanks."


verified


message 24: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Alliteration: Town Talking

The Whole Town's Talking"


that works


message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2027 comments Would The Ship That Sailed the Time Stream work for option 3?


message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments clarifying for option 1: A publication date of June 25th or July 7th qualifies right? The wording was "in between" which made me question whether the first and last dates qualified. :)


message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Aha I think I have this...
Option 1: Some Enchanted Eclair (July 1)
Option 2: alliterative- or is this a tautogram?
Magic and Macaroons


message 28: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Nicole wrote: "clarifying for option 1: A publication date of June 25th or July 7th qualifies right? The wording was "in between" which made me question whether the first and last dates qualified. :)"

yes it does


message 29: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Coralie wrote: "Would The Ship That Sailed the Time Stream work for option 3?"

yes


message 30: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Nicole wrote: "Aha I think I have this...
Option 1: Some Enchanted Eclair (July 1)
Option 2: alliterative- or is this a tautogram?
Magic and Macaroons"


option 1 works
Magic and mushrooms i am afraid doesn't work as a tautogram all the words have to start with the same later
so the "and" spoils it


message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Marie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aha I think I have this...
Option 1: Some Enchanted Eclair (July 1)
Option 2: alliterative- or is this a tautogram?
Magic and Macaroons"

option 1 wor..."


I thought it was alliterative? I was saying it's alliterative but just asking about tautogram because I was checking to see if I correctky grasped the concept :)


message 32: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Nicole wrote: "Marie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aha I think I have this...
Option 1: Some Enchanted Eclair (July 1)
Option 2: alliterative- or is this a tautogram?
Magic and Macaroons"..."


Sorry Nicole i only notice tautogram yes it is alliterative - don't know where my head was this morning


message 33: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments For Option 3, Mom & Me & Mom works, doesn't it?


message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Marie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Marie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aha I think I have this...
Option 1: Some Enchanted Eclair (July 1)
Option 2: alliterative- or is this a tautogram?
[book:Magic and Macar..."


oh you are fine!!! I could have misread too which is why I like to double check. Allergies are killing my brain cells!

YAY. I found this series and decided to work it into the challenge because it seems like fun reading for summer.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments for option 2- Wiccan and Pagan fiction-The Firebrand on page 1 #24 on the list

For option 3 Fatally Flaky for tautogram


message 36: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "for option 2- Wiccan and Pagan fiction-The Firebrand on page 1 #24 on the list

For option 3 Fatally Flaky for tautogram"


the wiccan works as long as it is the first 2 pages of that list which it is

Fatally Flaky does not work as the title is only 2 words and the requirements are for more than a 2 word title not including subtitles


message 37: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Assuming this works for option 3 but double checking:
Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure


message 38: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Sally wrote: "Assuming this works for option 3 but double checking:
Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure"


yes you have alliteration in wine and war


message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments For a tautogram: Out of Oz ??


message 40: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Cindy wrote: "For a tautogram: Out of Oz ??"

yes that works


message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane (didi3023) | 12 comments Does The Hitman's Guide to Housecleaning work for option 3?


message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Would a title where the alliteration comes from the same word work? Like in Guards! Guards! ?


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments Would The Big Bad Wolf work for option 3


message 44: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Diane wrote: "Does The Hitman's Guide to Housecleaning work for option 3?"

yes thats fine


message 45: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Melanie wrote: "Would a title where the alliteration comes from the same word work? Like in Guards! Guards! ?"

the word can be repeated but this specific book cannot be used as it only has 2 words in the title the task asks for 3 or more


message 46: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would The Big Bad Wolf work for option 3"
yes thats fine


message 47: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 22 comments Will this work for option 3

Pies and Prejudice


message 48: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments frugalitymom wrote: "Will this work for option 3

Pies and Prejudice"


it will i was a bit disappointed by that book though - thinkyou may love it would be interested to hear what you


message 49: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 22 comments Thank you I'll let you know what I think


message 50: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 407 comments Does Undead and Unappreciated work as alliteration?


« previous 1
back to top