Start by marking “The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Behold the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM), today’s fastest growing carbohydrate-based religion. According to church founder Bobby Henderson, the universe and all life within it were created by a mystical and divine being: the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What drives the FSM’s devout followers, a.k.a. Pastafarians? Some say it’s the assuring touch from the FSM’s ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Villard (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, please sign up.
XaurreauX Danks for the memories. [Sorry, I couldn't resist.]

Start your review of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Clay
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Our pasta who "arghhh" in the colander, swallowed be thy sauce. Thy serving come, thy strands be wrung, o forks as they are on spoons. Give us this day our garlic bread, and forgive us of our starchiness, as we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss, and lead us not into Kraft parmesean, but deliver us from Chef-boy-ARGHH!-Dee, for thine are the meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever.
RAmen........

We propose a new curriculum for all classrooms. One that gives equal
Manny
Repent! Repent, I say unto ye, while yet there is time! Repent, O Goodreads Administrators, of thy iniquity and hypocrisy! For did ye not say, that all Holy Books shall be deemed anonymous of authorship? Did ye not say, that the Playing Field should be level?

And what, now, do we see, to our everlasting shame? The Bible and the Torah have ye marked as Anonymous. Yea, also the Quran have ye treated in this wise. But the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have ye marked as the work of His
David
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, religion
This is the funniest book I've read in a long time. Bobby Henderson is a young graduate in physics, and he did not like the trend he saw in science education. He wrote a letter to the Kansas State Board of Education, suggesting that if they require Intelligent Design be taught along with Evolution (which is "just" a theory), then equal time must be spent teaching his newly invented religion, "Pastafarianism". Let the students hear all sides of a controversy, and then let them decide.

Henderson
Todd Martin
The idea behind the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is a good one. It's modeled on the argument used by flat-earthers and creationists to try to get their nutty and intellectually dishonest ideas taught in the high school science classroom. If you thought they'd given up after the embarrassment of the Scopes trial in the 1920's you'd be sorely mistaken. Instead they've simply changed their strategy and have been pushing their inane message of 'teach the controversy' and 'present alternative ...more
Anna Kļaviņa
I might have been converted to Pastafarianism after reading this Holy Book. This book is an eye opener! I'm only a bit hesitant because I hate strongly dislike a beer the holy beverage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's followers, however my boyfriend assures me that a ginger beer should be OK too.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's website

Ramen.

Robert Beveridge
Jan 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Bobby Henderson, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Villard, 2006)

Can I get a Ra-men? The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is here, and pirates the world over rejoice. If you're familiar with the noodly one, you've probably got a good idea of what to expect here-- it's offensive, it's lowbrow, it's amusing, in some vague, distressing sense of the word. It is, overall, a parody of the Intelligent design movement, and as such, it is filled with pseudointellectual parodies of
Shauna
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTERISM
Have you been touched by His Noodly Appendage?
The truth is that the FSM is hidden all around us. And He's left clues like Italian-style bread crumbs to show us the path to His Eternal Noodliness. He's in our language—every time someone tells you to use your "noodle" they're unknowingly directing you to turn to Him for guidance.

I have mixed feelings regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself. Its a difficult thing to decide whether the thought of being constantly
Josh Hanke
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
What started as an innocent letter to the Kansas State Board of Education has now started the transformation of the world's non-believers into their once-loathed, faith-based, subservient counterparts. Sarcasm aside, this is an entertaining satire of religion for the open-minded reader of any particular belief. Some atheists have complained that this will not convert any non-believers and the condescending tone furthers the misunderstanding between the fact- and faith-based communities. I think ...more
Shockwave
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is so blatantly the writings of the real Prophet of the One True God. Yes, the real and true God is the Flying Spagetti monster, and no one can prove it isn't.

It has much less wrong with it than the Christian Bible,and as we all know that that inconsistencies and mistakes are deliberately put in all holy books to test blind faith.

Pastafarianism is the fastest growing religion among the most intelligent people in the world today.

Keep up to date at http://www.venganza.org/

RAMEN
Chris Cooper
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
What is a funny idea & gained a huge cult following for The Flying Spaghetti Monster, did not make a fun/funny read after a chapter or two. I was excited to read this & thought it would be really funny, but the jokes get old & there really wasn't enough humor to make a full book.
Brenna
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
"All points of view should be available to students studying the origins of mankind," said president-reject John McCain in a 2005 interview. The context was with regards to the teaching in schools of the theory of Evolution alongside the theory of Intelligent Design (ID). This statement made by the senator has since been obfuscated to represent all points of view, quite literally.

Including that of design by the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM). And, argues author/self-proclaimed-prophet Bobby
Julissa Dantes-castillo
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.7 is the real rating here. This was by far one of the most funny to read book I've read, but after the first half of the book everything was too repetitive and tiresome.

It was funny to see the pictures, the logics, and the side notes, nothing was a waste, this is a cool book to read if you are feeling down or great because it will brighten your mood.
Arya Ptb
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, philosophy
Meh, it was alright.

Our great prophet Bobby Henderson (sauce be upon him) has clearly overextended his literary talent. His first holy scripture, the letter through which he unveiled His Noodliness for the first time, is a delightful read. This book, however, was much too long for the seriousness of its subject matter. Let alone for having been penned by not the best of writers.

The book lacked a central theme and narrative style. Mostly it was in the form of weak pseudo-scientific and scholastic
JeLo
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
I was guided by His Noodly Appendages...

I was overwhelmed and enlightened upon reading the "The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" by the great prophet Bobby Henderson. This religious tome has shown me the way of Pastafarianism. It provided me of the best that has to come. Their heaven is something you'll be dreaming of: a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory. How can you match your Heaven with that?

This religion is not just a hocus-pocus stuff, this is backed up by hard science - empirical
Rachel Jackson
Mar 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Everyone seems to love this book. I remember reading it years and years ago, but clearly none of it stuck with me then, and I almost wish I hadn't wasted the time trying to reread it now. The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is supposed to be a satirical take on modern religion, how anti-science people use religion to get what they want and brainwash people. I get it. The approach is there. But Bobby Henderson does it so painfully and annoyingly that this book was impossible to read. The ...more
Morgan
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who isn't close-minded or who appreciates humor
Recommended to Morgan by: My brother
This book is well on its way to become a favorite amongst the younger and the less uptight about their relgion. It was an absolutely wonderful commentary on the stupidity of religion and the arguments of it.

Overall, I took away: play nice and be friends. What a simple and wonderful message that everyone could do a little better if they only followed it.

My recommendation goes out to everyone and anyone. This book is a real eye-opener. However, it could be difficult to understand and is slightly
Moe
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 12th-grade
This book was really good the first half. It was more funny than anything. I don't think that the author was taking anything seriously; It was just loose opinions and clumsy paragraphs about pirates and spaghetti. The second half just got repetitive, and the book is longer than you think so I got really irritable as the book kept droning on about "His Noodly Appendages." Anyway, a good book to just relax with, and who knows, maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster really exists? You should probably ...more
John
Mar 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
While this book can be read solely for the sheer entertainment value, it has a much larger goal. It makes painfully clear what a farce all too much of dogma steeped religious thought is today. That said, it should not be taken too seriously; it is a joke with a purpose. If read in this light, it succeeds admirably in both cases.
Nick Wallace
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Crap. Thanks for pointing out that intelligent design is a con, Johnny Obvious. Another book that caters only to people who already hold the same opinion, in effect eating itself.
Marshall Wayne Lee
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant founder of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Bobby Henderson's _The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster_ receives three stars from me based on the brilliant way that he addressed the creationists, which I found fun.

Confession: I skipped a big part of this as it gets a bet redundant and repetitive. I also didn't like the sections on the heretics, it just seemed a bit silly. However, I think what Henderson is attempting to do is claim as followers of the FSM people from
Sara Goldenberg
Disrespectful and embarrassing. Shame on the author. SHAME!!!!
Simon
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Consider me converted.
Alex
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m honestly using this for a research paper for college and I think it’s the most fun paper I’ve ever had to write.
John
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is one of the funniest things I have come across in a while. Bobby Henderson, a physics grad student, has ingeniously crafted a mock religion that effectively parodies the fundamentalist aspects of western religions (especially Christianity) that mainstream Christians and non-Christians find groan-worthy.
Henderson created the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, also known as Pastafarianism, in response to the recent trials over Intelligent Design
Ms. Smartarse
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I started reading this book full of hope. As a 95% atheist (and 5% agnostic) myself, I was expecting an amusing, but (more) intelligent alternative to Christianity. To a certain extent I got it (hence the 2 stars):
(view spoiler)
Mike Michaels
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is Satire at its Finest.

I often laugh out loud listening to stand up, or watching a sketch, but only smile or giggle while reading jokes. Before I read this only 3 authors made me laugh out loud a lot while reading. This book right here made one of my favorite book lists, Mike's "Laugh Out Loud" book list. Right up there with the writings of Douglas Adams, Jon Stewart, and Steven Colbert, I laughed A LOT while reading this gem of a book.

Packed full of
Greg
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book and the religion that follows it makes a concise, undeniable, and scientifically backed case for the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster that has, for years had its doings falsely attributed to a number of false deities. Jam packed with testimonies and scientific proofs, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster joins the ranks of the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, or any other popular story book with an equally valid explanation for the universe as it currently exists. In fact, this ...more
Tyne
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young adult+, anyone with interest in parody religions or counterculture
A friend introduced me to The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It is a parody religion, something along the lines of Discordianism but more modern. The church's purpose is to expose the flaws in modern religious institutions and spiritual beliefs, with special emphasis on intelligent design.

I was surprised to find the book “Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” at my local library. It is a collection of topics and essays explaining the religion and its goals. Topics as varied as dogma,
Sydney Miller
From now on my god of choice is The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He sounds bitchin'! Bobby Henderson is a genius, the topic of FSM is both hilarious and a huge punch to the face of organized religion. I laughed out loud in so many occasions while reading this, even in public! This book, be it fiction or nonfiction, is a work of art. Thank you to everyone that contributed to writing it, it is fantastic!
If you find organized religion as humorous and silly as I do, this book is going to kill you with
Lauren
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started off so well, it was even genuinely funny! Then it just got repetitive a little past the halfway mark, and I started to get the feeling Bobby Henderson was trying too hard to fill pages. Love the idea but this book was meh and seemed to carry on for ages.
I'm an atheist but... 5 50 Oct 14, 2017 02:17PM
Literary apparitions of FSM 1 5 Feb 09, 2015 11:55PM
Is there anybody else who thinks Gospel of the FSM just goes to far? 7 133 Jan 19, 2015 01:23PM
Join my Church 1 35 Jan 17, 2008 05:18PM

• God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question - Why We Suffer
  • Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
  • Atheism: The Case Against God
  • Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Pirate Cinema
  • The God Delusion
  • Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam
  • The Reality Bubble: Blind Spots, Hidden Truths, and the Dangerous Illusions That Shape Our World
  • The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
  • The Atheist's Bible: An Illustrious Collection of Irreverent Thoughts
  • The Four Horsemen: The Conversation That Sparked an Atheist Revolution
  • İran Masalları
  • How to Survive a Horror Movie (How to Survive)
  • العقل القوي
  • Might is Right
  • The Great Bazaar & Brayan's Gold
  • Hitler's Second Book: The Unpublished Sequel to Mein Kampf
Bobby Henderson is an American physicist and author, best known internationally for creating the "Flying Spaghetti Monster", a religious parody that has since spawned an entire mock religion embraced by critical thinkers all over the world.
“Disclaimer: While Pastafarianism is the only religion based on empirical evidence, it should also be noted that this is a faith-based book. Attentive readers will note numerous holes and contradictions throughout the text; they will even find blatant lies and exaggerations. These have been placed there to test the reader's faith.” 8 likes
“Someone has described religious warfare as “killing people over who has the best invisible friend.” 7 likes