The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

68 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.4 - Sandy's Task: Follow the Author

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2017 11:13AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
30.4. Sandy's Task: Follow the Author

This is a two book task.

No books with a main page genre of children or kids may be used. Your books must have a combined page total of at least 500 pages.

For book 1, read a book of your choice written by a single author.

For book 2, read a book with at least one word in the title/subtitle that begins with each of the initials of the author of book 1. All initials in the book 1 author's name must be used. Articles (a, an, the) and conjunctions (and, but, or) cannot be used.

Examples:
Book 1 - The Girls by Emma Cline.
Book 2 - The Disappearance of Ember Crow. "Ember" beginning with E, "Crow" beginning with C.

Book 1 - Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Book 2 - High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic - "Classic" beginning with C, "Noon" beginning with N, "American" beginning with A.


message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Reserved


message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Reserved


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Can the book be by the same author?

For instance:
Book #1: The Perfect Lover by Stephanie Laurens
Book #2: The Lady Chosen by Stephanie Laurens

Thanks


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Can the book be by the same author?

For instance:
Book #1: The Perfect Lover by Stephanie Laurens
Book #2: The Lady Chosen by [author:Stephanie Laurens|924..."


sure - but I don't see the initials S and L in the title words of book 2.


message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments Nice task sandy!


message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Sandy wrote: "sure - but I don't see the initials S and L in the title words of book 2.."

I see now that it must be the first letter of the word in the title.
I'll have to find a different pairing :)


message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "Nice task sandy!"

Thanks!


message 10: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will these books work?

Book 1: Heidelberg Requiem by Wolfgang Burger

Book 2: Everything We Left Behind

W & B in We & Behind

Another option:

Book 1: Earthly Remains by Donna Leon

Book 2: Love You To Death

D & L in L & Death

Thanks!


message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Pia wrote: "Will these books work?

Book 1: Heidelberg Requiem by Wolfgang Burger

Book 2: Everything We Left Behind

W & B in We & Behind

Another option:

Book..."


Both combos work.


message 12: by Coralie (new)


message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments making sure I get this

bk 1 - Opening Hearts - Iona Findley
bk 2 - Fantasy in Death


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Coralie wrote: "Would this work?
Claudine's House by Colette
and The Clockwork Rocket"


yes


message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "making sure I get this

bk 1 - Opening Hearts - Iona Findley
bk 2 - Fantasy in Death"


yes


message 16: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Could I just check this combination works, please.

Book one: Saturday by Ian McEwan
Book two: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Thank you!


message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "Would this work or am I just not playing fair?

Book 1: The Whispering Muse by Sjón
Book 2:She by H. Rider Haggard"


The book 1/book 2 combo would work, but doesn't appear to add up to 500 pages.


message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Bryony wrote: "Could I just check this combination works, please.

Book one: Saturday by Ian McEwan
Book two: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Th..."


that works.


message 19: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thank you!


message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 538 comments Checking which initials I would use for Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle


message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Checking which initials I would use for Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle"

M and L


message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments I confused myself several times with this one, so I just want to verify I've pinned it down:

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
The Periodic Table by Primo Levi


message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "I confused myself several times with this one, so I just want to verify I've pinned it down:

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
The Periodic Table by Primo Levi"


yep


message 24: by Trish (last edited Jun 21, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2455 comments Just for paranoia's sake, the combination of:
Rosemary and Rue, Seanan McGuire and
Murder of a Small-Town Honey ,
works, doesn't it? M from murder, and while the S is from a hyphanated word, it is at the start of it.


message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Trish wrote: "Just for paranoia's sake, the combination of:
Rosemary and Rue, Seanan McGuire and
Murder of a Small-Town Honey ,
works, doesn't it? M from murder, an..."


yes


message 26: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2455 comments Sandy wrote: "yes "

Thanks.


message 27: by Bryony (last edited Jul 13, 2017 01:47PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Just rearranging my reading plan a bit, would Boulting's Velosaurus: A Linguistic Tour de France be okay as book two if the initials of my book one author are DB? The D would be in "Tour de France" so I just wanted to check this is acceptable. Thanks!


message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15680 comments Mod
Bryony wrote: "Just rearranging my reading plan a bit, would Boulting's Velosaurus: A Linguistic Tour de France be okay as book two if the initials of my book one author are DB? The D would be in ..."

yes


message 29: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thank you!


back to top