Play Book Tag discussion

June 2017: Coming of Age > Announcing the June tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (last edited May 23, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Wow, another super close vote this month, but in the end, the following tag was selected.

coming of age

73 votes were cast for coming of age versus 66 for suspense. Once again though, only 18 people chose coming of age versus 26 selecting suspense. The coming of age folks used their participation points more aggressively.

Please share your reading plans and recommendations below!

Remember, for the regular monthly reads, the book can be shelved as coming of age on Goodreads, or be a book that is not yet shelved that way but you feel should be.

To find books to read for this tag, please visit:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

or

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/comi...

Stay Tuned!!!! A new game is on the drawing board! We will be announcing it soon. The start date will be June 7th, but there's at least a couple of weeks of setup work to do, so we will need people to sign up very soon.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments This one is a tough one - - I'm leaning toward reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet because it fits my Hitting the High Notes challenge. But I'm going to see what other people recommend before committing. I'd really love a memoir because I need some for my Climbing the PBT stairs challenge. Anyone have some good suggestions for coming of age memoirs I might like?

Another book of interest to me is Marlena - - it fits and has some buzz right now.

Finally, I really like Jeffrey Eugenides so The Virgin Suicides is tempting . . .

Decisions, decisions . . .argh . . .I love this tag so really think there are too many options.

In so far as recommendations, I feel that The Nix is both current and fits. An older book I had trouble putting down was White Oleander.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8516 comments This voting patters of people versus votes is becoming quite interesting. Personally, I picked coming-of-age, and only gave it one extra vote. I was tempted by suspense because so many of the books I read her the same, and that would be something I'd enjoy and a bit out of my usual genres. On the other hand, coming-of-age really helps me seriously clean off my TBR. So when faced with easy versus different, ultimately I went with easy. And that surprised me a little bit, because usually when one wrestles, one with Tend to go with the less safe choice. In any case, I am reading Americanah right now, which is classified as coming of age. But they were out of things on my TBR that match. Ready player one, revolution, the God of small things, in fact I have a list of nine books that match. It felt strange to pick anything else. I'll go back and check what the other five more, but those are the four I'm shooting for in June. Wondering what everybody else will pick to read? It feels like it's a very wide range.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8516 comments Sorry. Voice texting worked terribly for me up there. Perils of phone.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Amy wrote: "Sorry. Voice texting worked terribly for me up there. Perils of phone."

Ha ha, I've never tried voice texting. Interesting to see how it works. The God of Small Things is excellent, but not a fast paced read, so you'll have to see if you are in the mood. But I do recommend it.

message 6: by Joni (new)

Joni | 612 comments There is always something that I can read. I think I have my pick selected. Now to just get it off the library shelf before it's checked out by someone else. :)

message 7: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments There's already so many books on my TBR that fit, I'm almost afraid to start reading everyone's suggestions!

Books I recommend:
Girl at War by Sara Novic
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
City of Thieves by David Benioff

My likely choices:
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi
Adichie

The first two are most likely as I own them and am currently on a kick of trying to read more books I own.

message 8: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments How about we all just read/re-read the Harry Potter series?! No? I'm only sort of joking!

Oh man so many options, so many roads to go for this tag.
I'll be looking at reading
-Harry Potter- you know, as "preparation" for going to London
-Everything, Everything- new movie out.
-Something by John Green
-The Catcher in the Rye, a classic I've been meaning to reread

Crossovers to the PBT 100 I'm looking at
Little Women
A Wrinkle in Time
The God of Small Things
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

I only have 3 years left for high notes, so I'll have to see if any of those have crossover. I think Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet like Anita mentioned is a year I haven't made it to yet.

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5759 comments Coming of age is one of my favorite tags and I like suspense as well, but I thought we had a tag similiar to suspense recently so chose coming of age and did put some extra votes in it, because I really didn't want the fantasy romance one. I wasn't actually voting against suspense.

My more recent suggestions are:
The Last Days of Café Leila
Girl at War
A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
Be Frank With Me
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North

message 10: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments Maybe this will push me to finally read Kite Runner!

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments I was ok either way, but was really hoping for suspense! Oh, well. I'll come back with options (and possibly recommendations) a bit later. f2f book club tonight.

message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Wow! Did a quick "tagmash" at LT for coming of age and my initials - I have sooo many options! I've also just finished a few that fit. The most likely ones are ones I'll be reading, anyway, but I might add in an extra one that's been on the tbr a long time or one for the High Notes. Back later to list some of my options.

message 13: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments annapi wrote: "Maybe this will push me to finally read Kite Runner!"
It's an excellent choice for the tag. I hope you go for it!

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Ok, instead of checking facebook before my book club, I decided to finish posting here. :-)

So, books I'm reading anyway in June with the tag (at LT):
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves / Karen Joy Fowler (I'll probably get started on this a bit early, as the hold for the audio has already come in for me)
- Shotgun Lovesongs / Nickolas Butler

Other possibilities:
- City of Thieves / David Benioff (High Notes)
- Love Walked In / Marisa de los Santos (High Notes)
- The River / Gary Paulson
- Born a Crime / Trevor Noah
- Becoming Marie Antoinette / Juliet Grey
- Belle Epoque / Elizabeth Ross
- Cool Water / Diane Warren

And there are so many more I could do!

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Recommendations:

(I had more, but there were way too many, so I'm going just off my favourites list.)

- Joyland / Stephen King
- Testimony / Anita Shreve
- The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes / Diane Chamberlain
- Ready Player One / Ernest Cline
- Will Grayson, Will Grayson / John Green
- Cleopatra's Daughter / Michelle Moran
- The Hunger Games / Suzanne Collins
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet / Jamie Ford

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments My number one recommendation is Jasper Jones, a classic Australian coming of age story that I absolutely adored.

I'm going to read The Interestings, and also in the list are Atonement, Love Walked In, All the Pretty Horses, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Commonwealth, & Shotgun Lovesongs. So many choices!

message 17: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 491 comments I was surprised that I have read several for the tag and have several more possibilities. My recommendations are:

Wonder
Before I Fall
Between Shades of Gray
A Great and Terrible Beauty

As for what I'll read. I have these on my list:

Eleanor & Park
Everything, Everything
We Were Liars
I'll Give You the Sun

message 18: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I will be reading The Impossible Fortress. I am next up in the queue for the audio from the library so it should work out perfect!

message 20: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments A favourite of mine is The Virgin in the Garden by AS Byatt. I've been meaning to reread it, so now might be the time ... but then again you've all given me too many other great options to consider!

Susie, I may take you up on Jasper Jones - it looks excellent.

I also borrowed I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban some time ago from a friend and need to read it so I can return it - I guess this fits the tag (though "coming of age" seems rather a trite label for it)

message 21: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I voted for suspense, with some extra points thrown in, in order to avoid paranormal romance, lol! But I'm perfectly fine with coming of age, too.

Some recommendations:

The Book Thief
Speak
The Kite Runner
Middlesex
and... do I need to mention Harry Potter? :D

I will read either To Kill a Mockingbird or The Help, since they both fit a game in another group. Any recommendations as to which one I should choose?

message 22: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I have hardly read anything this month. I have been working through Pillars of the Earth but I haven't really been reading anything besides college materials otherwise. I am glad for the easier reading month as I really enjoy coming of age fiction.

My top recommendation is:
Fangirl

But some other good books are:
Everything, Everything
Little Women
All the Light We Cannot See
The Hate U Give
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

I will try and read at least one of the following:
The Girls
The Name of the Wind*
The Lost Hero*
City of Bones*
Crossed
Six of Crows
Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
The Mothers
Between the World and Me

All of these books I either own or have out from the library (*). This just shows how behind I am on my reading as I have been wanting to get to these for quite a while. But after June 12th I should free up a little bit.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 687 comments I've got so many to read for this tag on the first page alone, so I'm going to create an excel spreadsheet and then use a random number generator! 😂

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Marina wrote: "I voted for suspense, with some extra points thrown in, in order to avoid paranormal romance, lol! But I'm perfectly fine with coming of age, too.

Some recommendations:

[book:The Book Thief|19063..."

Both are really good, but if you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird, I'd go with that one!!

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Charlie wrote: "My recommendations are as follows:

Snow in August
The Tender Bar
Sleepers
The Body
Wait Till Next Year
[book:The Coldest Night|1..."

The Tender Bar is a good one . . .

message 27: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments Little Women and The Goldfinch are both good options for this month!

I'm thinking of reading Gods in Alabama - it's tagged as coming-of-age by a few people so I'm hoping it's suitable!

message 28: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Ok, instead of checking facebook before my book club, I decided to finish posting here. :-) .."

I can recommend both Love Walked In and City of Thieves. One nice thing is that they are both pretty quick to read.

message 29: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "I was surprised that I have read several for the tag and have several more possibilities. ..."

I'll recommend Eleanor & Park from your list.

message 30: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Charlie wrote: "Books I may read include (any of the following): ..."

From your list I've read and enjoyed:
All the Light We Cannot See
Cutting for Stone

message 31: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments AJ wrote: "I have hardly read anything this month. I have been working through Pillars of the Earth but I haven't really been reading anything besides college materials otherwise. I am glad for the easier rea..."

Name of the Wind is kind of long but so good that I've read others in the series too.

message 32: by Nicole (last edited May 25, 2017 05:23AM) (new)

Nicole | 429 comments I think I'm going to be picking up one of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize winners: Barbarian Days. I do believe it will fit "coming of age" but can't be certain, it hasn't been sorted on to many shelves at this point. It's a memoir about a surfer/war journalist, should definitely be interesting!

message 33: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Marina wrote: "I will read either To Kill a Mockingbird or The Help, since they both fit a game in another group. Any recommendations as to which one I should choose?"

Though I liked The Help better, I think To Kill a Mockingbird fits "coming of age" better.

message 34: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Barbara wrote: "I can recommend both Love Walked In and City of Thieves. One nice thing is that they are both pretty quick to read...."

Good to know! Thanks!

message 35: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Barbara wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Ok, instead of checking facebook before my book club, I decided to finish posting here. :-) .."

I can recommend both Love Walked In and City of Thieves. One nice thing is that t..."

The audio for City of Thieves is marvelous.

message 37: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I second I Am the Messenger! Great book.

message 38: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Thanks, Anita and LibraryCin! To Kill a Mockingbird comes highly recommended and I'm a bit ashamed about not having read it yet, so I'll probably go with it.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8516 comments I'm going to Third Tell the Wolves I'm Home as a lovely moving Coming of Age read.

message 40: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Charlie wrote: "My recommendations are as follows:

Snow in August
The Tender Bar
Sleepers
The Body
Wait Till Next Year
[book:The Coldest Night|1..."

The Goldfinch and All the Light We Cannot See are in my top ten!

message 41: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments KateNZ wrote: "A favourite of mine is The Virgin in the Garden by AS Byatt. I've been meaning to reread it, so now might be the time ... but then again you've all given me too many other great option..."

I hope you love it! It was adapted in to a stage show last year and it was fabulous. It has also been made in to a film which I hear is not so good.

message 42: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm feeling a little bit excited for those of you who are thinking of The Goldfinch. If you are audiobook listeners, it is one of the finest I have listened to thus far.

message 43: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments A lot of the books that have been suggested that are also on my to-read list are books that I've already finished booo. But I think I might read either Crooked Kingdom or All the Ugly and Wonderful Things (if I can get a copy of that from the library, since it appears to be on hold by a lot of people). Or maybe I'll just continue my Harry Potter reread and use this as an opportunity to finally get through the 5th book, which is my least favorite!

I recommend:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Everything I Never Told You
Six of Crows
Ready Player One
In the Time of the Butterflies
And obviously any of the Harry Potter books

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I just read Tell the Wolves I'm Home last week and loved it.

I also recommend:
Ordinary Grace
I Am the Messenger
Charlotte's Web
[book:I C..."

Lol, okay this is also on my TBR. Why do these decisions have to be SO HARD?

message 45: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I might finally get to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

message 46: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Blueberry wrote: "I might finally get to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

I didn't even think of that one! It is definitely on TBR.

message 47: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "I will be reading The Impossible Fortress. I am next up in the queue for the audio from the library so it should work out perfect!"

It's perfect for the tag.

message 48: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Blueberry wrote: "I might finally get to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

I didn't even think of that one! It is definitely on TBR."

My favorite book of all time. I've read it three times, as a teen, as a mom and now as a grandmother. It's been a different experience every single time.

message 49: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I will be reading The Impossible Fortress. I am next up in the queue for the audio from the library so it should work out perfect!"

It's perfect for the tag."

Yes! I just got this from the library, so I'll be reading it also.

message 50: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments My planned reads:
Beautiful Creatures

Fits the tag, plus my TBR challenge as well as a PopSugar category.

I also have these three library books, all three of them fit the tag:

The German Girl
Do Not Say We Have Nothing
Ginny Moon

My recommendations:
Born a Crime: Stories From a South African (Childhood - Recommend the audio
The Hearts of Men
The Goldfinch
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - Recommend the audio
The Graveyard Book - Recommend the audio
Wonder