Stephen King Fans discussion

The Stand Buddy Read > The Stand Part One: June 1 - June 30

Comments Showing 1-50 of 159 (159 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments We will be reading this over three months as that is the easiest way to divide it. For the month of June we will be reading Part One. I originally mentioned analysis but I want to make sure the discussion is open to how you are feeling as you read. Please be sure to set off spoilers for those who may be reading for the first time.

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments Which version will you be reading? Readers reading either version are participating in this discussion. Feel free to explain why you have chosen that version if you wish.

message 3: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments I have read the original version two or three times so this go around I will be reading the uncut.

message 4: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments I tried to locate a copy of the original version, just out of curiosity, but didn't see one available

message 5: by Karen B. (last edited May 22, 2017 01:48PM) (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments not familiar with using ebay and amazon did not have it listed.

like I don't have enough to read taking on the uncut version and the book IT *S*

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments I'd like to join in, there it's still possible.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments I want to join. can't wait to get started!

message 8: by Seanna (new)

Seanna | 3 comments I'd like to read along and join in the discussion too! I'm reading the ebook version this time, but have spent many summers with this book in both versions. It was also a tradition for me to read every few years.

message 9: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments Holly, Seanna, Lisa of course ... welcome. I will be reading on my Kindle because I need large print. I have a physical copy here too just to compare page numbers if I reference something. I don't think it makes a big difference. This isn't school *S*

message 10: by Seanna (last edited May 23, 2017 01:07PM) (new)

Seanna | 3 comments Thanks Karen B.......suddenly hearing faint strains of "Schools Out for Summer".....

:)

message 11: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments The point is to enjoy the read and each other's company and insight.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments Karen B. wrote: "I tried to locate a copy of the original version, just out of curiosity, but didn't see one available"

Hey, Karen,

You prompted me to go on a search for a copy of the original version!

I found a site that sells used books and also lists the publication year, thankfully (there's like an $80 difference between a first edition 1978 on ebay and the 1980 version on this website- WOW!).

Here's the page I found:

https://www.alibris.com/search/books/...

I also used the coupon code FANG and it took off 15%.

It seems you can see other years too if you want a different year and you're willing to navigate around a bit. As long as its before 1990 it should be fine.

On that note, I read the Uncut version once and look forward to reading the original for this read through! :).

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments I know some of you have read The Stand before, but this is my first time...so I'm pretty excited to read along and share my thoughts with other King fans.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments I would like to join in. I have read it 3 times but willing to read again.

message 15: by Karen B. (last edited May 24, 2017 04:44AM) (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments I'm just curious now, how many are reading the uncut version besides me? I'd hate being the lone one. For those who have read both versions, will it make a big difference for discussion?

message 16: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments Karen, I am also reading the uncut version.

message 17: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I'm reading the uncut version as well.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments I'm also reading the uncut version.

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ann | 2 comments I'm in. I just reserved mine at Barnes and Noble. The info says it contains the missing parts. This is my first time reading it. I look forward to reading with all of you over the summer! Cheers!

message 20: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 59 comments I'm in! My in person book club chose this for June so I plan to read ahead but I'm still looking forward to discussing.

message 21: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Lisa wrote: "I know some of you have read The Stand before, but this is my first time...so I'm pretty excited to read along and share my thoughts with other King fans."

We are looking forward to seeing your reaction and feelings on this. It will be like reading it for the first time again but through your eyes.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm also reading the uncut version."

me too - a rare find at a book sale. You never see The Stand.

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments Karen B. wrote: "I'm just curious now, how many are reading the uncut version besides me? I'd hate being the lone one. For those who have read both versions, will it make a big difference for discussion?" I am.

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Miller (charlottemiller) | 7 comments I'm reading the uncut version.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments Out of curiosity, is anyone else reading the original?

message 26: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I am I was going to read the uncut version but my wife loaned it out to a friend and there is little I can do about it before Jun 1. I am reading the very first copy I bought in 1982 when it was first published in England in paperback. It's a bit tattered but I have had it for 35 years.

message 27: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments What's amazing is that it has been across the Atlantic three or four times traveled over 15,000 miles and it is still in one piece.

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments mrbooks wrote: "What's amazing is that it has been across the Atlantic three or four times traveled over 15,000 miles and it is still in one piece."
I have had 3 paperbacks and 1 hardcopy over the years. They disappeared as if by magic from my bookcase one at a time. I have a new copy and I'm putting a mousetrap inside the copy...just in case.

Teresa Candelario (Chi_DMB) (teresacandelario) | 3 comments I *just* finished the uncut 1990s version of this. I'll still discuss it as you go along.

message 30: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Deborah wrote: "mrbooks wrote: "What's amazing is that it has been across the Atlantic three or four times traveled over 15,000 miles and it is still in one piece."
I have had 3 paperbacks and 1 hardcopy over the ..."

Deborah forget the mouse trap, attach a small wire element to the book the attach that to a car battery that will stop them from taking the book but if you don't want to cause physical damage to the perpetrator the put a motion sensor and camera on your book case so you can see who is taking your books. LOL

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments mrbooks wrote: "Deborah wrote: "mrbooks wrote: "What's amazing is that it has been across the Atlantic three or four times traveled over 15,000 miles and it is still in one piece."
I have had 3 paperbacks and 1 ha..."

I'm old Mr. Brooks and I do not want to give just cause to me thrown is old age home for the insane (inserting evil laugh here heheheh)

message 32: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh they wont throw you in the insane Asylum they wont do anything once you tell them you were defending a Stephen King book. Tell them you were in fear they would hold it for ransom.

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments mrbooks wrote: "Oh they wont throw you in the insane Asylum they wont do anything once you tell them you were defending a Stephen King book. Tell them you were in fear they would hold it for ransom."

Good one! I think I will leave it in my Will to my favorite child. What do you think?

message 34: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments They will probably love it unless they aren't into reading that is. Does this younger generation know what a real book is? I always tell them it is the Play station of my generation.

message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 15 comments Two of my children have read all or most of all ... Stephen King's book. I not sure if my 9 grandkids have ... but most of them are still wee ones.

message 36: by Angel (new)

Angel (karmasmommy) | 10 comments Nicole wrote: "Karen B. wrote: "I tried to locate a copy of the original version, just out of curiosity, but didn't see one available"

Hey, Karen,

You prompted me to go on a search for a copy of the original v..."

Thanks so much for sharing this website!

message 37: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments I have hardback, first editions of both the originally released and the uncut. I pretty much don't read any of my "real" King books anymore, because like someone else said, I need larger print now. I've been slowly downloading the ebooks of his. I'm not sure if my ebook is the original or the uncut. I get confused with ebooks because the pages are always wrong, so not a good indicator. I'll need to do some investigating. O_o

I love experiencing a book with someone who is reading it for the first time. They almost always notice or comment on something I missed or take for granted.

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments So excited!!

message 39: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments Me too, Holly! It's almost time.

message 40: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I am ready to go, let the challenge begin and the conversation flow.

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments So close.....

message 42: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments And it starts!! So excited! :)

message 43: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I am going to have to slow my self down I could finish the first part in three days if I'm not careful. I have devised a plan where I read only 10 pages a day, failed already though now at 40 pages in. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments Today begins our reading of The Stand . Does anyone want to discuss anything about the first few chapters? From what I read last night there wasn't a whole lot to discuss about the beginning of the book but maybe you have something. Please remember to use spoiler tags for those who are reading it for the first time.

message 45: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Just sneezing and a runny nose...

message 46: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments I wasn't able to start today but I will catch up!

message 47: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 155 comments There's no rush ElleEm, we have the whole month to read and discuss Book I. I have to say I am really noticing the difference of King's updating to the 90's. He'll have things that are more appropriate to the 70's blended right in with mentioning that it's the 90's. I read somewhere that the uncut version was what he really wanted to do but the publisher insisted that he cut the book down for that original release. It sounded to me as though the uncut version was what he really wanted from the beginning.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments mrbooks wrote: ..."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments ElleEm wrote: "I wasn't able to start today but I will catch up!"

I couldn't start either, my original copy hasn't come in the mail yet and I lent my uncut copy to my best friend last week, haha.

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments Karen B. wrote: "There's no rush ElleEm, we have the whole month to read and discuss Book I. I have to say I am really noticing the difference of King's updating to the 90's. He'll have things that are more appropr..."

Karen, my uncut copy has an intro from King where he says what you mention. The publishers basically said it was too long and asked him if he wanted to do it himself or they would. He did it himself but really wanted the uncut version.

« previous 1 3 4