The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 15.1 - A One and A Two Cha Cha Cha

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
15.1 - A One and A Two Cha Cha Cha
Accordionist and bandleader Lawrence Welk hosted the musical variety TV program The Lawrence Welk Show. It made its national television debut on ABC Television on July 2, 1955. A famous "Welk-ism" was his trademark count-off, "A one and a two…,” See it on YouTube

Read one Book 1 AND one Book 2.

Book 1: Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #1 in a series. Whole numbers only.
AND
Book 2: Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #2 in a series. Whole numbers only. The book may be in the same series as Book 1 or in a different series.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments So this may be a more general question, especially since I'm still gophering and not sure if I'll use these books or not. If you look at Natchez Burning by Greg Iles, it's listed as #4 in the Penn Cage series, but #1 in the trilogy. Am I able to use it as #1 for this task or is it strictly by the use of series and not inclusive of the trilogy? Thank you in advance!

message 6: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments This is what I'm referring to with the series vs the trilogy. I was hoping to get all three in during this summer challenge, but that might be a bit much!

Original Title
Natchez Burning
ISBN
0062311077 (ISBN13: 9780062311078)
Edition Language
English
Series
Penn Cage #4, The Natchez Burning Trilogy #1

message 7: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments Well, I've found other places I can put the trilogy so I don't need these verified any longer. I guess now it's just a curiosity for future reference. I suppose it's obvious that they're not #1 & 2 in the series so maybe I was just looking for a loophole.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 660 comments I'm not a Mod, but if I recall correctly, they usually require you to go by the series that shows up as the default on the main page when there are multiple series. So, in this case, the book would be #4.

(I remember this coming up with Discworld/City Watch books).

message 9: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments Ok, thanks for answering! I felt that may be the case, but it was my first time with a 'series' within a series. Now that you mention Discworld, it makes perfect sense.

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17603 comments Mod
Sorry for the delay, we were doing a seasonal rules review.
The series that displays after the title is the series and number that should be used.

message 11: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments Thanks Dlmrose. Like I said, I was looking for that loophole! It's all good, keeps me stretching myself in my reading, which is why I joined this group in the first place!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 348 comments Hello! I was hoping to read Bitch Planet, Vols 1 & 2 for this, but for some reason the meta data next to the title just says (Bitch Planet (Collected Editions)). I was wondering if this was allowed since they are obviously numbers 1 and 2 in the series?

Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine
Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch

message 13: by Bridgett (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:53PM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Stephanie, you can request a Goodreads librarian to collate them into a series using the correct format in the SRC's "anyone with librarian status" thread or in the Goodreads Librarians group, which you can join.

The Librarian group is good for more complicated requests. The SRC thread is good for simple requests like adding page numbers or book covers.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 348 comments BriKie wrote: "Stephanie, you can request a Goodreads librarian to collate them into a series using the correct format in the SRC's "anyone with librarian status" thread or in the Goodreads Librarians group, whic..."

Thank you for the suggestion! I just asked over there.