Start by marking “Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine” as Want to Read:
Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine

Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine

(Bitch Planet (Collected Editions) #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  19,858 ratings  ·  2,043 reviews
Eisner Award-nominated writer Kelly Sue DeConnick (Pretty Deadly, Captain Marvel) and Valentine De Landro (X-Factor) team up to bring you the premiere volume of Bitch Planet, a deliciously vicious riff on women-in-prison sci-fi exploitation.

In a future just a few years down the road in the wrong direction, a woman's failure to comply with her patriarchal overlords will res
Published October 7th 2015 by Image Comics (first published July 10th 2015)

·  19,858 ratings  ·  2,043 reviews

Anne
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, I loved the feminist slant, and I loved the in-your-face attitude of the comic. Especially the stuff about body image. LOVED IT!

description

But as far as the actual plot went, I was a little disappointed.
Maybe because I'd read so much hype about this one? I'm just not sure.
description
In dystopian future women are arrested and imprisoned for being non-compliant. Just about anything from being overweight to outspoken can result in incarceration on (what is commonly called) Bitch Planet.

description

There's lots of nudity in this
Bradley
This series is SO DAMN REFRESHING. It is an absolute indictment against all kinds of double-standards, it reads like a play-by-play scrapbook of everything that's wrong with PEOPLE. It's not just men versus women. It's everyone against everyone, with the heroes being only those people willing to live by the "I just don't give a fuck anymore," standard. Good for them!

Is this a book about modern feminism? Hell Yes. Is it skewering in bright satire everything that's wrong with us? Hell YES.

Men are
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Well, well, well, look who didn't like a book everyone else loves!

» Blurb: "Think Margaret Atwood meets Inglourious Basterds."
» Me: "I don't give a damn about Tarantino, but please don't insult Margaret Atwood."

It is the second time I read a graphic novel by Kelly Sue DeConnick. It is the second time that the first thing that comes to my little mind after reading a graphic novel by Kelly Sue DeConnick is: "ERR…"

ERR…because most disappointing feminist slant ever.
ERR…because great premise bu
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You are non-compliant, prepare for AWESOME.
Nat
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I was feeling a bit under the weather these past few days, so this came at the perfect time for me to read and escape into.

In a future not so far away, troublesome and offensive women are jettisoned to the off-world penitentiary commonly referred to as Bitch Planet.

There's an incredible variety of characters that brought this volume to life, with my personal favorites being Kamau Kogo and Penny Rolle (issue three was my favorite because Penny got to be the star)
Whitney Atkinson
This book has such an AMAZING idea. a graphic novel about a prison on a separate planet that women are sent too for being bad mothers, too fat, an accident, etc.? Count me in. It's incredibly diverse, full of powerful women, and is just such a great satire about the patriarchy and I was on my way to loving it.

But the execution of it is so sloppy. Half of this story takes place on Earth where men-- who we aren't adequately introduced to-- are just discussing Bitch Planet. I wish we could have foc
Steph Sinclair
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Steph by: Leigh Bardugo
I haven't been reading a lot this year, because Life has been very unkind to my hobbies, but I saw Leigh Bardugo talking about this on instagram one day and so I decided to check it out. So let me start telling you how much you need this in your life immediately.

The comic is a work of brilliance. It tackles patriarchy and sexism in a way that will make you angry and empowered simultaneously. It makes you want to give the entire world the one finger salute and while healing it. It made me want t
Melki
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine a society where men make all the rules regarding women's rights and behaviors . . . and they want all women to be seen and not heard. They want them to look like FOX News bimbos, spout the party line, and have no opinions of their own.

They want women to be compliant.

Imagine . . .

description

Sadly, it's not that hard to do.

Welcome to Bitch Planet, gals, where it seems you'll spend half your life walking around nekkid. (At least you'll be allowed to have pubic hair - I found that surprising.) This i
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

It's good. It's smart. I'm a dude.

Doing any kind of review on this kind of scares me.

Yeah. I'm intimidated. fuck you.

The truth is, besides being scared, I just don't think I'm smart enough to review this properly. I mean, I'm smart, I just...I dunno. I'd just end up shitting my pants.

So fuck it.

Without getting into what this comic should mean to people...human rights, feminism, and all those smart ideas, I can say that beyond that, after all that, this is still a fuck-ton of fun to read. What
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
2.5 stars - I expected to like this a whole lot more than I actually did. Expectations.

I see why people like this. The stuff about body image and unruly women and women not being allowed to be "too" this or that. I get it totally. There was just something in the execution that fell flat for me.

The illustrations were a bit meh and the storylines were meh too.

Oh well! :)
Char
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this feminist-driven volume!

Imagine a woman being rude, or fat, or insubordinate. During this time period, women must be perfect at all times and if not, off to the Bitch Planet they go.

I liked this more than I thought I would and am going to continue with this series.
Jean Menzies
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, comics
This volume did not let me down. I expected it to be very aggressively in your face with references to sex violence and lots of nudity because I'd been forewarned but generally speaking I think all of this worked perfectly. I thought the tone of the whole volume was really engaging. About mid way through a plot point was introduced that was essentially a rip off of The Longest Yard, this might irritate some (I'm somewhat indifferent although I did roll my eyes at the time) but I think it's going ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Imagine a world where the white men in power, rather than making and enforcing laws equitable for everyone, just remove the people they don't want to have to deal with from their vicinity, for any level of infraction. This is real life! In the news this week, it is people from specific countries and religions even with legal residency status in our country, barred from re-entry. In this graphic novel, it is "non-compliant" women, relocated to another planet. I decided to read it, thinking perhap ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Ha ha ha. I can't  believe the time for me to review this finally came. You know, considering the fact that I read it half a year ago and I kind of never found the time and motivation to write this review. Except that now it is exam time, so of course there is time to write random reviews. Uh-uh.

When I was introduced to the story of Bitch Planet by my comic book guru, I thought "That sounds so cool!" Yeah... about that.

It was too much for me on so many
David Schaafsma
I very much like the energy and originality and edginess of this comic's first volume. Women who do not fit into society's ideal image for women--physically, emotionally, and so on--get sent to Bitch Planet, and as they say on the cover, these women are "caged and [justifiably] enraged." Men take a hit in this one, of course, but women take their fair share of abuse, for buying into and helping reinforce societal standards.

There's plenty of humor with the political commentary, which is perhaps
Donovan
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it

"Hey Kids, Patriarchy!"

Okay, I finally get it. I mean, I "got" what Kelly Sue DeConnick was trying to do last time, but on this reread, because I'm that dedicated to understanding, I really got it. And I actually laughed because it's absolutely absurd.

"Earth is the father. And your father... has cast you out."

Try to imagine the utmost patriarchal society. I bet it's not as patriarchal and bigoted as Bitch Planet, because in this book sexism has won. Women have "complied" and become crazy dietin
Macarena Yannelli
"Sos... ¿muy gorda? ¿Muy flaca? ¿Muy ruidosa? ¿Muy tímida? ¿Muy sexual? ¿Muy negra? ¿Muy lo que sea que quieran juzgar? Entonces tal vez pertenezcas al... ¡¡Bitch Planet!!"
Clasificada M por contenido maduro
Esta novela gráfica es una hipérbole del Patriarcado. Es tanto así que las mujeres "no complacientes" son enviadas al Bitch Planet un planeta/cárcel para mujeres.
Las mujeres en este mundo solo sirven para el gusto de los hombres. Que hoy en día es una hipérbole que estamos tratando de alej
Paul E. Morph
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm very much pro-sexual equality, because I'm not a cretin, but having a feminist message doesn't guarantee a good review from me, I'm afraid.

Despite this book's overall message, I just found it to be a little too much Orange Is The New Black in space, despite the bait-and-switch of principle protagonist early on in the story... which was too much of a blatant 'Look! We're not really just doing OITNB in space!' moment for my tastes.

Also, didn't Dark Horse do this exact concept in their (admitte
Melanie
I don't read a lot of comics or graphic novels, but Bitch Planet is the best I've ever read. I'm not sure if it's because it's the only feminist comic I've ever read, but I'm officially addicted and need more. The art is fantastic, the banter is wonderful, and the messages are perfect.

And at the end of each comic there are ads, but not the regular marketing ads, but Bitch Planet ads. I loved this touch, and it really makes you feel like you're in this world. Some ads are messages from people in
Ashley
I don’t even really know what to say about this book, other than you should probably read it.

I was a bit skeptical going in to Bitch Planet, despite glowing reviews, because I’d read Kelly Sue DeConnick’s other non-superhero ongoing comic, Pretty Deadly, earlier this year, and was pretty unimpressed with it at the least, actively turned off at worst. Still can’t decide which at this point. (The art was gorgeous, though.) But holy crap, I shouldn’t have been worried. This was AWESOME. Like, I nee
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
So- I recently read Y, The Last Man and it was the first graphic novel I ever read. I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. It was a much needed break from my regular reading. It spurned me to go check out what other graphic novels I might enjoy (as I wait for book 2 to become available).

I found Bitch Planet at my library and was immediately intrigued. I really enjoyed the art work- which includes full page advertisements for silly things like “signatures” or “garbage removal”.

It was kin
Sesana
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

The title kind of put me off this one for a bit. I don't know about you, but I don't relish carrying around a book with "bitch" in huge letters on the cover. But I heard so many great things about this book, and I love the cover, and I generally trust DeConnick. So I jumped at the chance to get it from Netgalley, and I'm very glad I did.

Bitch Planet is a deeply feminist take on "women in prison" exploitation media, and it's damned good. It has all the action
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was recommended to me by one of my seminar tutors, and I'm so glad I picked it up! It was awesome and powerful, and I can't wait for Vol. 2!
Tori (InToriLex)
Find this and other Reviews at InToriLex
This was an awesome Mashup of satire, humor, truth and awesome visuals. I recommended this for mature readers over 18.  In this dystopian future women are sent to Bitch Planet for non-compliance=not following the manipulative script the ruling men, have decided all women must follow. The visuals are fantastic, and there's gems all over the place taking aim at all the crap society tell women they must be. Loving yourself for who you are in this world, is a
Mike
Gorgeous art, arresting premise, good storytelling.

I have the great fortune to live in Portland, where Kelly Sue either (a) lives or (b) has stationed an incredible LMD to keep us fooled.

I have gone out for nearly every signing that Kelly Sue has held, and taken the time to get to know her as a person (almost moreso than as a writer).

Kelly Sue's a fascinating person - opinionated and generous, painfully self-critical and talented and expressive as soon as she gets out of her own way. Successfu
Dennis
Way better than I expected it to be. What a pleasant surprise.

I basically only picked this up because the second volume was nominated for a Hugo and I thought I should probably give it a try. Though neither the premise nor the title or what little I saw of the art convinced me to immediately buy the second volume as well. I thought there was a substantial possibility I wouldn’t like it and move on to the next nominee after only one volume. Boy, was I wrong.

description

So why that title? The story is set in
Ish Jones
Jul 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
God this was a disapointment.
1. The art style is hideous.
2. Characters (other than Penny) are not memorable and pretty boring.
3. Suppose to give a femist view (equality) but makes out that all white males are vile creatures.
4. Plot was quite boring and dumps alot on you at once, quite confusing.
5. Dialoge is so plain, no humour, not fun, just so bland.
I literally had to force myself to get through this and skim read the last half, this was such a disapointment especially after i heard so many
Chelsea
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just consider me non-compliant.
Carla Estruch
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
¿Qué pasaría si todo lo que el patriarcado nos impone socialmente fuera obligatorio por ley? Esto es: es ilegal estar gorda, cortarse el pelo de forma extravagante, ser más fuerte que un hombre, ser mala madre, ser irrespetuosa.
Lo que pasaría es Bitch Planet.
O las cazas al vuelo, o no las pillas. Fíjate en los detalles, en lo que esconde el diálogo principal. Siente los puñetazos de Penny y la velocidad de Meiko. Y odia al padre Tierra.

*relectura en febrero de 2018*
Me ha venido bien releerlo par
Sabrina
Not in love with the story yet, but this comic deserves all of the props for unabashedly tearing down the patriarchy and celebrating intersectionality. The latter is particularly important because it is often neglected in more popular feminist works (Caitlin Moran's How to Be a Woman, for instance). I really liked issue 3 in particular, and wish it was more indicative of the comic as a whole. I also enjoyed a lot of the retro ads, which were funny and depressing. I wish the feminist essays that ...more
  • Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift
  • Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain
  • Sex Criminals, Vol. 3: Three the Hard Way
  • Velvet, Vol. 1: Before the Living End (Velvet, #1)
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth (Rat Queens, #2)
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It
  • Injection, Vol. 2
  • Alex + Ada, Vol. 2
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 1 (Lady Killer, #1)

Bitch Planet (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
“What every girl should know: Your vagina is disgusting. It smells like the underside of a kangaroo pouch and he doesn't want to touch you because of the grossness. But thankfully, NEW brand douche, perfected by a leading gynecologist, gently cleanses and refreshes, making you feel feminine and special. Because what's more special than a vage filled with vinegar and chemical daisies? Also available in SPICY CINNAMON TACO, for the girl adventurer.” 9 likes
“Nothing is compulsory. Free will is paramount. But free will comes with the burden of consequences.” 3 likes