The Haters Club discussion

I hate ITunes

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Fucking Christ it's always something. When I try to sync I'm only getting songs with titles A-J. What the fuck is that? I hate it so much but I can't live without it. BULLSHIT! Does anyone have some advice?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Does anyone have some advice?

Never pay for a hooker with a check.

message 3: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu Wait, what? Tell me exactly what's happening, Gretchen... I think I can help.

I had a similar problem in the past.

message 4: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Okay Gretchen, this is a simple fix. Just rename all your songs so they begin with the letters A-J. You can thank me later.

message 5: by smetchie (last edited Aug 02, 2009 06:39AM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Matt,

I have like 5000 songs in ITunes but only 2600 are loading onto my Ipod. I have the 120GB so plenty of space. I have my music saved on an external hard drive which sometimes gets yanked out by the cat and that has been the problem in the past but not this time. Last night Itunes got all confused and had "!" by tons of songs which I guess in macspeak means "I see nothing!" My husband fixed that issue, which I thought was the malfunction. But it still only wants me to have songs by artists A-J. Now thankfully my favorite band, The Drive By Truckers, is safe. But there are lots of others after J that I really kind of need.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments OK! I restored my ipod's factory settings and now it appears to be headed in the right direction. It says it's "copying 147 of 5226" so at least it has the right number now. It might be Tuesday before it's finished but whatever. I don't understand why it has to be so annoying. I know Mac people are all about Mac but do they realize that other programs don't crash so often? I don't have a ton of experience with Macs so I might be off the mark but when I had one it crashed all the time. My mom has a brand new one that crashes all the time.(but she still loves it for some reason) My itunes has monthly issues, sometimes just won't even open, ect. I don't get it. Maybe it has it's period.

message 7: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments well maybe I have the wrong definition of crash. When I say "crash" I mean shuts down for no apparent reason.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Grr, computers! My new Dell netbook is broken. I'm on my sister's right now. HATE computers!!!

Servius  Heiner I hate itunes on my PC, but it has always worked flawlessly on our Mac.

I still hate Itunes.

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Seriously? It never just sits there and refuses to open?

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I never really have problems with my iTunes. But I only have a few hundred songs and some books on tape. I cannot understand how people have thousands of songs. There are not thousands of decent songs in this world.

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments We have around 5 thousand. I don't love them all but I don't see why I can't still have them all. If ITunes can't handle it then I need something else that can. I'm sure that's a pretty average # of songs and there are tons of people out there with lots more.

message 13: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Rusty wrote: "I cannot understand how people have thousands of songs."

I grow tired of listening to the same stuff. After a week or two I'm bored with the song. If it's also being played on the radio all the time, there's a fair chance I might get seriously sick of it.

message 14: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I guess I don't put a lot of new stuff into the rotation because I only rarely listen to the radio. If I'm in the car, I'm listening to a book on cd.

message 15: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments How do you stand it, Rusty? How do you stand having someone read books to you? I've been really trying here lately but it bugs the living crap out of me. They talk too slow and I'm constantly re-reading it in my head with the stresses where I think they should be. And you can't skim the shitty parts!! How do you read without skimming?? It's killing me. I want to like it because I have a longish commute and I can read so many more books that way but it just puts me in such a bad mood.

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments It really depends on the narrator for me. Some really piss me off. Right now I'm listening to Contagious. It's read by the author, Scott Sigler. the dude sucks at voice work. He sounds like Norm McDonald, and no matter what the scene, he sounds like he's on the verge of giggling. He can't do voices for women, black people, military people, tough guys - they sound completely hokey and ridiculous. I can't really tell if the book is any good or not, because the narrator is pissing me off too much. For me that's the biggest factor. I like Simon Vance. I'm annoyed by Scott Brick, and want to punch him in the face, because all his characters sound so smug and self-impressed.

When I read on the bus, there are constant interruptions, so listening to the book is just easier.

message 17: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments By the way, I just listened to The Graveyard Book, read by Neil Gaiman, and he did a great job, in my opinion.

message 18: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I might check that one out just to see.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Gretchen, you should try books read by the author, especially if the "right" inflections are important to you.

message 20: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I listened to "Animal Vegetable Miracle" read by Barbara Kingsolver and it nearly killed me. I love her but now I'm scared the next time I try to read one of her books I'll hear her preachy, lilting, smirking fucking voice in my head.

message 21: by Rusty (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I just have to say that I hate to praise Gaiman, because everyone (by "everyone", I mean bookish, snobbish people) is always crapping their pants over him. I Like the Graveyard Book, but I'm not sure about reading anything else of his, because I expect it to be all queer and artsy.

message 22: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I've got Breakfast at Tiffany's on my mp3. Read by a Londoner. Seems like a good idea, right? WRONG. It was ghastly. Guy's Holly sounded like a British tranny faking menopause. I could not stand it.

Now I'm listening to On Writing by Stephen King (read by Stephen King), and it's really hard to take those headphones out when I have to. Besides some prose just reads well, and some doesn't, and King's stuff is always easy to listen to, no matter who the reader is.

message 23: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Rusty wrote: "I just have to say that I hate to praise Gaiman, because everyone (by "everyone", I mean bookish, snobbish people) is always crapping their pants over him. I Like the Graveyard Book, but I'm not s..."

I don't like Gaiman much, I thought there must be something wrong with me. So far I've read Neverwhere and Stardust and none of those impressed me much.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Gretchen wrote: "I listened to "Animal Vegetable Miracle" read by Barbara Kingsolver and it nearly killed me. I love her but now I'm scared the next time I try to read one of her books I'll hear her preachy, liltin..."

Yeah, but that's because that book is retarded and gay.

message 25: by smetchie (last edited Aug 26, 2009 11:28AM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments AGAIN!!
Again ITunes won't open. I have the music saved on an external hard drive and it got disconnected, AGAIN. Now ITunes won't open, AGAIN. I guess I should move it off of there but I don't understand why ITunes doesn't just remember where it is when it gets plugged back in. Stupid Apple product!

message 26: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Ok so I rebooted. (i know that's always the first thing you're supposed to do but whatever i like to freak out and bitch first.)
then ITunes opened. YAY. So I started playing my music. Now it's closed, but still playing music! I can't get it to open again so I am just forced to listen to whatever it wants to play! (or turn off the sound). CAN'T SOMEONE HELP THE POOR TECHNOTARD OVER HERE??

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I'd be happy to help, Gretchen. First, you'll need a hammer-- sledge for preference, but ball peen or claw will work at a pinch...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

For a Mac:
apple + option + escape (in that order, but don't let go of any buttons until you've pushed all 3) will open a menu of what's running and you can select and force quit iTunes.

For a PC:
ctrl + alt + delete

If that doesn't work, you can eject the external hard drive?

message 29: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments ctrl + alt + delete brings up the task manager right? (I prefer to say task MASTER but whatever.)
so this is the weird thing. It doesn't show Itunes as one of the programs running!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

It's probably the task manager for your central hard drive and not your portable hard drive. Can you eject your portable hard drive?

message 31: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I can...but I'm scared. Because every time the cat or I unplug it, ITunes gets all whacked out.

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) As opposed to now, where it's working perfectly smoothly?

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments :) I know. Tom you make me laugh.

But it's playing really good songs right now. I'm gonna unplug it the next time a rap song comes on, though.

message 34: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Ok, so I have shitloads of music and use iTunes too. But I never really had such issues with it. And I think I have figured out now why.... Hoekey. I set up global shortcuts to iTunes (using Hoekey, but I'm sure there are other programs that do similar thing). I never actually need to see the iTunes window, it starts up minimized and stays that way if I want to change a song I press my magic keys without exiting Photoshop or whatever program I'm currently in. That's my solution and it works for me.

message 35: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Kasia, as previously mentioned, I'm technotarded. you may as well be speaking Polish. But it sounds cool.

message 36: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I like that word - technotarded - but for some reason (don't ask me why) it makes me think of turd. Hehe

message 37: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Rusty wrote: "It really depends on the narrator for me. Some really piss me off. Right now I'm listening to Contagious. It's read by the author, Scott Sigler. the dude sucks at voice work. He sounds like No..."

Rusty, I'm listening to "Infected" right now and I completely agree. I wish they wouldn't do voices. I really believe I'll be able to keep up without the voices. He does a little girl in this one and I'm sure I'm supposed to like her but I just want to smack the shit out of her because she sounds like such a sissy. He's awful. However, it was a free download on itunes so whatever. It's a great story and his shitty narration isn't managing to ruin it for me.

message 38: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments That's how it was with Contagious. The story was good enough, and the characters interesting enough that I was able to get over the crappy voicework and in the end, I liked it.