Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > 28 Books You Must Read to Call Yourself Well Read

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 66926 comments Mod
Bookworld have compiled a definite list of books to call yourself well read at every age. How many have you read?

1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
2. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
3. The BFG by Roald Dahl The BFG by Roald Dahl
4. Harry Potter Boxset (Harry Potter, #1-7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
5. The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon
6. The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3) by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins
7. Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
10. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
11. Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
12. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré
13. Rabbit-Proof Fence The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time by Doris Pilkington Rabbit-Proof Fence: The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time by Doris Pilkington
14. Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson Neuromancer by William Gibson
15. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
16. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
17. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
18. Persuasion by Jane Austen Persuasion by Jane Austen
19. Animal Farm by George Orwell Animal Farm by George Orwell
20. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
21. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
22. Guns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
23. A Fortunate Life by Albert B. Facey A Fortunate Life by Albert B. Facey
24. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
25. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
26. The Brain That Changes Itself Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge
27. The Tipping Point How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Malcolm Gladwell by Malcolm Gladwell The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Malcolm Gladwell by Malcolm Gladwell
28. Gallipoli by Les Carlyon Gallipoli by Les Carlyon

Here's the referring link: http://services.bookworld.trclient.co...

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I've read 13!

message 3: by Michael (last edited Jun 08, 2014 09:29PM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I'm clearly not well read as i have only read 3. I know lists are subjective but that is actually not a bad list. I have a few on my bookshelves on the list i need to read.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 708 comments 15!

message 5: by Marina (last edited Jun 08, 2014 09:34PM) (new)

Marina Finlayson | 284 comments I'm just behind you, Brenda. I've read 12. There are a couple on there that have been on my "I really must get around to reading that" list forever, and one (The Book Thief) that I just bought yesterday. At least there's only one that I've never heard of (Guns, Germs and Steel), so I'm not doing too badly!

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It isn't a bad list is it Michael!

14, 16, 22, 26, 27 - never heard of those! lol

Marina, you'll have to get to The Book Thief soon! A great book IMO:)

message 7: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 10514 comments Mod
I've read 17 of them. I have to say that if you are going to choose only 28 books then you would expect them to be 28 well known books!

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

They're very diverse Phrynne!

message 9: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

I have not heard of 14, 22, 26 and 27. But it is good for a 'well read' list to include children's books and non fiction as well as the usual.

message 10: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Oh and I did wonder why they chose Persuasion out of all Jane Austen's books?

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Jun 08, 2014 10:52PM) (new)

Phrynne wrote: "I have not heard of 14, 22, 26 and 27. But it is good for a 'well read' list to include children's books and non fiction as well as the usual."

Same ones as me;) Yes, we probably all read the children's books when we were young (a long time ago!)

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Phrynne wrote: "Oh and I did wonder why they chose Persuasion out of all Jane Austen's books?"

No idea!

message 13: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 7111 comments I got 12 too.... including 27 which was very interesting

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve | 875 comments I've only got seven. Some of them look interesting enough to add to my TBR. I think one of the 'X and Y' books of Austen would have been a much better choice, simply for the fact that they are much better known.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I've only read 10 but I have to say this isn't a very decent list. It isn't really a decent selection of different genres. Also The Harry Potter series is not 'one' book, neither is the hunger games.

Have people forgotten what the definition of books are?

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael it's only a bit of fun! Lighten up;)

message 17: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 6507 comments I've read 22. More if you take into consideration that Harry Potter is 6 books that I've all read and Hunger Games is 3 books that I've all,read.

Michael I think it is a good range of genre - you are never going to get all of them in a short list like that.

A book is some words between two covers - ok pages with writing on them (either printed or hand written) bound together along one side and then enclosed in a protective cover.

message 18: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments I've read 7 and a half. Some interesting choices in this list.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Brenda wrote: "Michael it's only a bit of fun! Lighten up;)"

Never, they need to learn to do better. This list just looks like the books they want to sell for the week.

message 20: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 5 comments Michael wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Michael it's only a bit of fun! Lighten up;)"

Never, they need to learn to do better. This list just looks like the books they want to sell for the week."

Michael, I got the same impression.

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

But Michael, you are so predictable! I knew when I was creating the thread that you would react exactly the way you have :)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Brenda wrote: "But Michael, you are so predictable! I knew when I was creating the thread that you would react exactly the way you have :)"

Maybe if they stuck to 28 books and not 36 I would of been ok with it.

message 23: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I've only read 7 but there are others on this list that I would like to read at some point.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 144 comments I've done 7 which isn't really too bad.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Beitz (KatieBeitz) | 30 comments 10 for me!

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Higgins | 105 comments I've read 9. 14 is a sci fi book. I read it a few years ago.

message 27: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 894 comments Ten with two more very high on Mount TBR :)

message 28: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis There are some on this list I have no desire to waste my time reading. While there are thousands upon thousands of books in the world I do still want to read. I guess that makes me not well read or something (and fated never to be) but to me it's just a list compiled by someone who thinks very differently from me. I dont have a problem with people recommending books to me as such but I do wonder what makes them think they can be definitive about which books are important for being "well-read". I think I scored about 12 or something. I may want to read one or 2 others on the list...but not immediately

message 29: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 6507 comments Stef wrote: "There are some on this list I have no desire to waste my time reading. While there are thousands upon thousands of books in the world I do still want to read. I guess that makes me not well read or..."

I really 100% agree with you. I get annoyed by people who assume I am not well read. I read because I enjoy the book I have picked up. Doesn't matter what the genre is, doesn't matter if some high brow English professor or High School teacher tells me it is 'worthy'. If it is boring I am not going to read it. If someone reads a book and says this is really good give it a try, I probably would. But if they say read it as it will make you well read (implied - compared to the rubbish I think you read now) then I get my back up.

Stef you are just fine reading the books you like to :)

message 30: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments Ditto Sally. Well said

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well said Sally!!

message 32: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments I've read only 12. But there are books listed that I just don't wish to read. I'm happy reading the books that I choose to read. I don't want to read what a list tells me to.

message 33: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments With you all the way Bette.

message 34: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

I agree but isn't it funny how we all tot up our own "scores" anyway :)

message 35: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 6507 comments Phrynne wrote: "I agree but isn't it funny how we all tot up our own "scores" anyway :)"

LOL - so true :)

message 36: by B the BookAddict (last edited Jul 03, 2014 11:47AM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments @Phrynne lol, very apt! Is it simply within us to always measure ourselves against lists like these? I know I automatically counted to see how, to use their term, well read I am!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (saphfyre42) | 11 comments 12! And most of the ones I haven't read are the "classics"

message 38: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Corrigan | 94 comments I've read 5. I have absolutely no desire to read Harry Potter, in fact when my kids watch the movies I always find something else to do just so I don't have to suffer through the tripe.