READ 100+ BOOKS IN 2017 discussion

February Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Well, I didn't get many of the challenges read. I had high hopes but remodeling and cleaning out my house are taking a big chunk out of my reading time. I'm going to try and do better this month.

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with W.
2. Valentine's Day is coming so read a book about love and romance.
3. Mardi Gras ends the month so read a book set during a party.
4. I'll be going to San Antonio this month for a book convention so read a book set in Texas.
5. Read a Newbery or Caldecott Award winner.
6. Read a book about a spy.
7. Read a travel memoir.
8. Read a book with a characters name in the title.
9. Your choice

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 25, 2017 08:09PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) February challenge
Begins: 01Feb17 / Ends: 28Feb17

5 / 9 completed

2. Valentine's Day is coming so read a book about love and romance - One Plus One ✔ – 15Feb17

4. I'll be going to San Antonio this month for a book convention so read a book set in Texas.

5. Read a Newbery or Caldecott Award winner - 1940 Caldecott - Abraham Lincoln ✔ - 09Feb17

6. Read a book about a spy - The Quiet American ✔ - 20Feb17

7. Read a travel memoir.

8. A character's name in the title - A Man Called Ove ✔ - 02Feb17

9. Your choice - The Jesus Cow ✔ - 03Feb17

message 3: by Sheila (last edited Mar 02, 2017 06:19PM) (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Here I go:

5/9, 15 books

2. Valentine's Day is coming so read a book about love and romance. Size Matters by Alison Bliss--finished 2/4/17 Size Matters (A Perfect Fit #1) by Alison Bliss
4. I'll be going to San Antonio this month for a book convention so read a book set in Texas--Iron Rods by Brenna Zinn--finished 2/1/17 Iron Rods (Strip Club, #1) by Brenna Zinn
7. Read a travel memoir--Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod--finished 2/16/17 Paris Letters by Janice Macleod .
8. Read a book with a characters name in the title--Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready--finished 2/6/17. Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready
9. Your choice--She Touched the World: Laura Bridgman, Deaf-Blind Pioneer by Sally Hobart Alexander and Robert Alexander--finished 2/4/16 She Touched the World Laura Bridgman, Deaf-Blind Pioneer by Sally Hobart Alexander

Bonus:
Cecily G. and the Nine Monkeys by H.A. Rey--finished 2/4/16 Cecily G. and the 9 Monkeys by H.A. Rey
Anatole by Eve Titus--finished 2/4/16 Anatole (Anatole, #1) by Eve Titus
Caps for Sale--Esphyr Slobodkina--finished 2/4/16 Caps for Sale A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute--Jarrett J Krosoczka--finished 2/8/17 Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
The Pin-Up and the Pilot--Tina Holland--finished 2/9/17 The Pilot and the Pin-Up by Tina Holland
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly--finished 2/15/17 Hidden Figures - Screenplay by Taylor Sheridan
The Listening Palms by Juliet Shore--finished 2/18/17 The Listening Palms (Harlequin Romance, #1299) by Juliet Shore
Pride and Prejudice Sequels by Cheryl Bolen--finished 2/19/17 Pride and Prejudice Sequels 3 Jane Austen Inspired Novellas (Jane Austen Sequels, #1-3) by Cheryl Bolen
Devi's Bliss: A Story of Noelle by Mika Lane-finished 2/22/17 Devi's Bliss a story of Noelle by Mika Lane
Hot Combat by Elle James--finished 2/27/17 Hot Combat (Ballistic Cowboys #1) by Elle James

message 4: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 34 comments I as well didn't get many of the challenges completed. Oh well, I'll try this month. Just started a new volunteer position this morning - at our local library sorting through donated books! Could be exciting for me . . . But the first thing my wife as when I got home was "How did you like it?" and "How many did you buy?"

"Handmaiden's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.idn't win either the Newberry or Caldecott Awards but it did receive the Nebula Award and Booker Prize in 1986 and the Prometheus Award in 1987.
7. Read a travel memoir.
9. Your choice

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Chuck wrote: "I as well didn't get many of the challenges completed. Oh well, I'll try this month. Just started a new volunteer position this morning - at our local library sorting through donated books! Could b..."

I've been going through my books and donating them to the library (well, whatever the ladies of my book clubs don't take.) I donate some then go out and buy more. Oh, well, what better addiction could be have. It's not fattening, immoral, or illegal.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Rule of Mirrors (The Vault of Dreamers, #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien -Caragh M. O'Brien 2-1-17
This was the sequel to The Vault of Dreamers, which was one of the most interesting sci-fi/dystopian YA novels I read last year. This second novel of the Vault of Dreamers series was not as interesting as the first novel, but the characters were still well drawn, and I still found the plot to be fairly thought-provoking and somewhat entertaining. While this book didn't have an ending as extremely abrupt as the previous novel did, it still left several things up in the air, and I look forward to reading the next book when it's released.

The Cottage (Secrets of the Shetlands #2) by Michael R. Phillips -Michael R. Phillips 2-5-17
This novel was the sequel to The Inheritance and was also a well written and quite interesting Christian historical fiction novel with well developed characters. Because the stage was fully set with all the pieces of the complex plot of the series in the previous novel, this book didn't have a gruelingly slow start-up like the first novel did and simply took up the story almost exactly where the first one ended, and due to this fact, I gave this book the full five stars that the previous novel just missed out on. In any case, I continued to be invested in the lives of several of the characters and found their individual histories to be quite interesting. Therefore, this second novel of what is quickly turning into a fantastic series has definitely earned a place on my favorites' list.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove – Fredrik Backman – 5*****
What a joy this book is! Backman peoples the novel with an assortment of quirky characters, who form a community, and despite himself, Ove joins with them. I laughed aloud so often, and I felt for Ove’s. I also rejoiced at his triumphs, and marveled at his strength of character. I worried about him and cheered him on. I absolutely fell in love with Ove.
LINK to my review

message 8: by Chuck (last edited Feb 06, 2017 03:31PM) (new)

Chuck | 34 comments . Read a book whose author's last name begins with W.
"Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.idn't win either the Newberry or Caldecott Awards but it did receive the Nebula Award and Booker Prize in 1986 and the Prometheus Award in 1987.
7. Read a travel memoir.
9. Your choice
"1984" by George Orwell

message 9: by Chuck (last edited Feb 06, 2017 03:33PM) (new)

Chuck | 34 comments Finished reading "The Hand Maid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood and just reading "1984" by George Orwell.

"While the totalitarianism that provoked George Orwell into writing 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' seems to be passing into oblivion, his harrowing, cautionary tale of a man trapped in a political nightmare has had the opposite fate, and its relevance and power to disturb our complacency seem to grow decade by decade."

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove
– Fredrik Backman – 5*****
What a joy this book is! Backman peoples the novel with an assortment of quirky characters, who form a communi..."

I loved this book! He is so good with his characterizations.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger -J.D. Salinger 2-8-17
I will grant that this book containing a short story and a novella is well written, but I didn't care for it. Also, I will grant that the characters are extremely well drawn, but I hated them. I didn't like how the characters spoke or behaved. They're rude, arrogant, and blatantly disrespectful. However, I just have to quote another user's (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1...) parody a little bit here: "I mean to say, for God's sake, it's full of this kind of histrionic dialogue with incessant overuse of italics, and the people in it don't so much speak as hold forth as if they were on the stage somewhere for God's sake, and they just go on and on about Jesus and chakras and anahata and all this goddam mystical stuff." Sorry for the language, but the book really is like that, and so, fair warning if you're bothered by such stuff.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Jesus Cow by Michael Perry
The Jesus Cow – Michael Perry – 4****
When a calf is born on Christmas Eve with the distinct face of Jesus on his side, bachelor farmer Harley Jackson knows he’s in for a struggle. Michael Perry is known for his nonfiction essays on life in small-town Wisconsin; this is his first novel. Perry has a gift for describing people and situations; he makes the ridiculous totally believable. I am reminded of Carl Hiaasen, but with more heart. There are a few scenarios that really stretch credulity here, but on the whole I enjoyed the novel and we all need a little light entertainment now and again.
LINK to my review

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 34 comments 1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with W.
"Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.idn't win either the Newberry or Caldecott Awards but it did receive the Nebula Award and Booker Prize in 1986 and the Prometheus Award in 1987.
7. Read a travel memoir.
9. Your choice
"1984" by George Orwell
"Approaching Oblivion" by Harlan Ellsion

message 14: by Tia (last edited Feb 11, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Tia (tia_bookbandit) about the January challenge, i read like 4 books on 7. I think it wasn't that bad.
so here is the list for my February challenge
1.The picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
2. Adultery by Paulo Coelho
3. The great Gatsby
4.the holes.
5. The giver by Louis Lowry.
6. The Spy by Paulo Coehlo
7. the holy cow .
8. Heat wave by Richard Castle.
9. Thousand splendid suns.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher
Death Masks – Jim Butcher – 3.5***
I like this series mostly because I really like Harry. I love his puns and his self-deprecating humor. I like that he’s a decent guy who inflicts violence on the bad guys, and generally behaves like a gentleman. However, as I continue the series I find the plots more and more formulaic, although this installment has a few plot twists and some characters that lend additional interest.
LINK to my review

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Abraham Lincoln by Ingri d'Aulaire
Abraham Lincoln – Ingri & Edgar Parin d’Aulaire – 4****
This Caldecott-winner is a biography for young children. It follows Lincoln from his birth to the end of the Civil War, though it does not mention his assassination. The d’Aulaires were immigrants to America, and when the book was written the world was anxiously watching the events in Germany that would lead to a world war. They may have erred on the side of hero-worship in their portrayal of Lincoln, but I like that they portrayed a man willing to stand up against injustice.
LINK to my review

message 17: by Tia (last edited Feb 11, 2017 11:20AM) (new)

Tia (tia_bookbandit) Completed the first book of the month. here is the link to my review
Thousand Splendid Suns

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Days of Awe by Lauren Fox
Days Of Awe – Lauren Fox – 4****
This is the kind of character-driven novel I really enjoy. As Isabel reflects on past events and her relationships with best friend, daughter, mother, and ex-husband, the reader comes to know her. I felt her confusion, pain, loss, loneliness, but also her joy and hope for the future.
LINK to my review

message 19: by Chuck (new)

"The Last Mile" by David Baldacci
7. Read a travel memoir.
9. Your choice
"1984" by George Orwell

message 20: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 34 comments Currently reading "The Last Mile," Book #2 in the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci.

"Convicted murderer Melvin Mars is counting down the last hours before his execution--for the violent killing of his parents twenty years earlier--when he's granted an unexpected reprieve. Another man has confessed to the crime.

Amos Decker, newly hired on an FBI special task force, takes an interest in Mars's case after discovering the striking similarities to his own life: Both men were talented football players with promising careers cut short by tragedy. Both men's families were brutally murdered. And in both cases, another suspect came forward, years after the killing, to confess to the crime. A suspect who may or may not have been telling the truth.

The confession has the potential to make Melvin Mars--guilty or not--a free man. Who wants Mars out of prison? And why now?

But when a member of Decker's team disappears, it becomes clear that something much larger--and more sinister--than just one convicted criminal's life hangs in the balance. Decker will need all of his extraordinary brainpower to stop an innocent man from being executed."

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Forgiven (Keepers of the Promise #1) by Marta Perry -Marta Perry 2-11-17
This was a well written and interesting Amish romance novel with one plot set in current day and the other set during World War II. The characters were well drawn, and I was interested by the history of what a pacifistic society often deals with during times of war. I liked seeing the parallels between Rebecca's current story and Anna's historical one and the importance of family history and the knowledge one can gain from it. This novel has earned a place on my favorites' list, and I look forward to reading more of the series.

Stranded (Alaskan Courage, #3) by Dani Pettrey -Dani Pettrey 2-12-17
This was a well written and entertaining Christian suspense novel with a romantic subplot. I really liked the characters and the interesting plot twists along the way. I truly enjoyed it, and I look forward to reading more of the series. It has earned its place on my favorites' list.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Washington's Lady (Ladies of History, #3) by Nancy Moser -Nancy Moser 2-16-17
This was an excellent fictional biographical novel about Martha Washington. The author definitely brought her and several other main characters to life on the pages. The book was well written and interesting; I learned a bit more about the Revolutionary War era, and I enjoyed looking at a more personal perspective of it. I'd had no idea Martha had experienced so much grief and stress during her life, and it was even intriguing to read the author's epilogue at the end talking about what was drawn directly from history and what she'd embellished to make a full story, and I especially liked how she said that it might be said that while there might not have been a United States of America without George Washington, there might not have been a George Washington without Martha [my summary, not an exact quote].

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge)  Exodus  by Leon Uris
Exodus – Leon Uris – 3.5***
This is an epic novel covering the history of the Jewish people’s efforts to return to Palestine and form an independent state. I felt that Uris couldn’t make up his mind whether he was writing an epic romance, a war novel or a history of the formation of Israel. It certainly made me think. And I’m glad I finally read this novel.
LINK to my review

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Feb 18 - Currently Reading

TEXT - Old Dogs by Donna Moore Old Dogs / Donna Moore
AUDIO in the car - The Quiet American by Graham Greene The Quiet American / Graham Greene
MP3 Player AUDIO - The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith The Minor Adjustment Beauty SalonAlexander McCall Smith

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
One Plus One – Jojo Moyes – 3***
Four different characters tell the story: Jess, Ed, Tanzie (Jess’s daughter) and Nicky (Marty’s son and Jess’s stepson). This resulted in a slow start, while all the characters were introduced and the central conflict developed. The book jacket promises “an irresistible love story.” I don’t know about “irresistible” but it’s an enjoyable contemporary novel.
LINK to my review

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
I finished Hidden Figures. I enjoyed it. It wasn't what I expected. I expected the story of the women but she put in the social history of what was happening the area and country on segregation and integration. It helped to know what was going on outside of Langley so it was not as if they were living in a vacuum. These women were geniuses. I don't think I could have sat there day after day doing the calculations they did. I highly recommend this book.

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2) by Michelle Cooper
The FitzOsbornes in Exile – Michelle Cooper – 3***
This is book two in a series about the royal family of the fictitious island nation of Montmaray. It’s a fast read, an easy young adult novel about the beginning of World War II. The British social class of the late 1930s is described well, including the debutante season. I liked this one better than the first in the series. The characters are better developed, and I enjoy reading about strong, resourceful, intelligent young people.
LINK to my review

message 28: by Chuck (new)

"The Last Mile" by David Baldacci
7. Read a travel memoir.
"The Wangs vs. the World" by Jade Chang
9. Your choice
"1984" by George Orwell
"The Kept Woman" by Karin Slaughter

message 29: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 34 comments Just started reading "The Wangs vs. the World" by Jade Chang and this is her first novel. After reading the review in the Los Angeles Times I decided it was a "Must Read."

"Charles Wang, a brash, lovable businessman who built a cosmetics empire and made a fortune, has just lost everything in the financial crisis. So he rounds up two of his children from schools that he can no longer afford and packs them into the only car that wasn't repossessed. Together with their wealth-addicted stepmother, Barbra, they head on a cross-country journey from their foreclosed Bel-Air home to the Upstate New York retreat of the eldest Wang daughter, Saina. The trip brings them together in a way money never could."

(New York Times Book Review), an epic family saga, and a new look at what it means to belong in America.

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Nothing to Do But Stay by Carrie Young
Nothing To Do But Stay – Carrie Young – 4****
The subtitle is “My Pioneer Mother,” and much of this memoir features Young’s mother Carrine Gafkjen Berg. But this is really the story of a family’s experiences in the early 20th century in North Dakota. Rather than a strictly chronological order, the book is divided into chapters by subject. All are full of wonderful, loving descriptions of life on a settler’s farm, some funny, some touchingly poignant.
LINK to my review

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Messenger by Siri Mitchell -Siri Mitchell 2-18-17
This was a well written Christian historical romance novel with interesting, well drawn characters. Despite being the fifth book in a series, this novel stands on its own quite well. I enjoyed learning a bit more about the Revolutionary War era and how it intersected with ordinary peoples' lives. In particular, reading about how the Quaker Meeting Hannah belonged to decided to deal with the effects of the Revolutionary War was eye-opening. There were just two things I didn't care for in this novel: the slow start and the abrupt ending.

The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass -Kiera Cass 2-18-17
In this fourth book of the Selection series, we meet the children of America Singer and Maxon, particularly princess Eadlyn who is now the unwilling focus of her own selection competition, so we now have our Bachelorette show in our dystopian political world. This novel was well written and like the first three of the series was a very cute story with great characters. I enjoyed it.

The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass -Kiera Cass 2-19-17
In this fifth book of the Selection series, we continue the story of the children of America Singer and Maxon, particularly that of princess Eadlyn who surprises herself by falling in love and surprises her world by who she falls in love with, and the series concludes with her on the throne so that her parents could retire into a more private life.

Eden West by Pete Hautman -Pete Hautman 2-19-17
This was a strange novel about a religious cult told from the perspective of a teenage boy who eventually decides that he likes the "worldly" Leanna, and this fact among other things he learns over the course of his 17th year pushes him towards a decision he would not have made otherwise. Overall, I found this to be a mediocre coming-of-age novel although having the story set within a cult did add a level of creepiness and interest to what would have otherwise been a deadly dull book.

Ruby's Spoon by Anna Lawrence Pietroni -Anna Lawrence Pietroni 2-24-17
This novel belonging to the genre of magical realism, a genre I always find rather odd, was more interesting for me than is often the case for books of its kind. It was well written even down to the dialect spoken by the characters, but the characters themselves fell a little flat for me. I did like all the mysteries gradually being revealed throughout the story even though it was written in medias res, which annoys me every time I come across it. [Mini rant: I don't want to know even part of the end before I get there, much less to be told it at the beginning of the book and then be directly reminded of it in the middle! End mini rant.] Overall, I rather liked it, but due to its faults, I gave it three stars.
"This is the tale of Ruby Abel Tailor, who could not cross the water but dreamed of an easy plenty by the sea. This is the tale of three separated sisters--one witch, one mermaid and one missing--and how Ruby was caught up in between. And this is the tale of Cradle Cross, circled round with water, and how Ruby Abel Tailor learned to cross it."

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Quiet American by Graham Greene
The Quiet American – Graham Greene – 3***
This has been cited as the quintessential book about Vietnam, especially the conflict begun with the French war. I don’t know if I would agree, but it’s definitely a good book about what was happening in the country during the mid-1950s. The reader gets some inkling of the politics of the era, but is more consumed by the personal drama of these two men and the Vietnamese woman they both say they love.
LINK to my review

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Old Dogs by Donna Moore
Old Dogs – Donna Moore – 3***
A pair of seventy-something-year-old ex-hookers turned con-artists scheme to steal two antique be-jeweled Tibetan dog statuettes. But they are not alone in wanting those dogs. This is a comic crime caper that reminds me of Donald E Westlake or Carl Hiaasen. The characters are outrageous, the plot is ridiculous, but the whole package is great fun to read.
LINK to my review

message 34: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_bookbandit) When is the march list coming???????????/////

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Literary wrote: "When is the march list coming???????????/////"

Tonight.

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith
The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon – Alexander McCall Smith – 3.5***
I rarely get past book four or five in a mystery series, because they become formulaic for me and I lose interest. But this series is a wonderful exception. As in most of the books, there are two cases the Ladies work on in this 14th installment, but the real focus of the series is on the relationships between the characters. Fans of the series will find most of the characters they have come to love present.
LINK to my review

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Love Finds You in Miracle, Kentucky (Love Finds You) by Andrea Boeshaar -Andrea Boeshaar 2-25-17
This was a well written and heart-warming Christian romance novel. The characters were well drawn, and the story was quite sweet. I enjoyed it a lot.

Sebastian (Ephemera, #1) by Anne Bishop -Anne Bishop 2-27-17
This is mainly a fantasy romance novel, which sounds much dirtier than it actually is although there are a lot of crude innuendos. It is well written, and the characters are well drawn. This is, I believe, the second time I've read this novel, but it has been several years; in any case, I liked it even better and actually found a bit more humor in it than I did the first time around. At some point, I do plan on reading the next book of this series.