EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
This topic is about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
CLASSICS READS > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaseadillla (last edited Jan 31, 2017 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the February 2017 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the CLASSICS category: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

This discussion will be spoiler-free. If you have already read the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

Sarah | 799 comments Started this last night and I'm loving the playful story! I'm on page 30 and it has made me chuckle twice already! I've read it before, but it was a long time ago. Enjoying my second round. :)

Sarah | 396 comments I'm hoping to get started on this next week :)

message 4: by Leesa (new)

Leesa Me too, It's next to nothing for an Ebook copy so hopefully sometime this week. I've never read it before so I'm looking forward to it!

Marcos Kopschitz | 1862 comments Mod
I read both Alice books as a child. They were very old editions that had belonged to one of my parents, my dad, I think, with the original illustrations by Tenniel!

So, this is a re-read. Here's my overstretched plan: to read the three of an English edition and two recent Portuguese translations at the same time, so that I can assess the translations!

If I manage to. That's quite a goal. If I don't, I'll try to read at least one translation. Plan C is just the English edition. :-)

Sarah | 799 comments How cool, Marcos!!

message 7: by Marcos (last edited Feb 01, 2017 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, Sarah! Let's see if I make it! :-)

message 8: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 20 comments I will be reading this with you! I also will be reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland Decoded: The Full Text of Lewis Carroll's Novel with its Many Hidden Meanings Revealed got it from the library.

I have to finish the book i am reading first so it might be next week.

Sarah | 799 comments Thanks for sharing the decoded book! I didn't know that existed, it sounds interesting!

Great suggestion, Cosmic!

Just found this! Thanks to Cosmic's push.
The Annotated Alice The Definitive Edition by Lewis Carroll
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 542 comments I love this book.

Sarah | 396 comments Better late than never I suppose.
I started this last night.
Hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1117 comments Mod
Hi all! Posting the pre-read threads just a couple of days early. I did update the book to be the original version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. This is the Bookshelf Catch-Up selection for October 2018.

Who plans to join in on this read? Will it be your first time or a re-read? What are you looking forward to most about it?

Renee (elenarenee) This book was ruined for m by a previous discussion. I learned to much about the author. I will be discussing but not re reading.

Trisha | 419 comments I read this a while ago, so won’t read it again this time but am happy to join in the discussions.

Kimberly Wendt | 203 comments I’ll definitely be reading this one!

message 18: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 700 comments I am looking forward to the discussion! I won't be reading it probably, I am behind in some of my reading goals to indulge myself in this one, but it will be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

message 19: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan | 27 comments Definitely reading this one. I’ve read bits and pieces but never the whole book.

message 20: by Nova (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nova Papasodora (awickedreaderslist) | 145 comments This is one of my absolute favorite stories of all time! That being said I'm not sure if I'll be re reading due to the amount to to-read books I have on my shelf right now, but who knows!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I started this one a few days ago and I finished the first two chapters. I don't think I read it when I was a child but I saw the Disney cartoon movie when I was young and then I also watched the Tim Burton live action film when it came out a few years ago so I'm familiar with the story. I'm enjoying the book so far. There are so many pop culture references to this book that it will be great to experience the source of inspiration for so many artists who followed.

message 22: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 965 comments I'll be reading the first half of The Annotated Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass for the notes by Martin Gardner. And trying not to think about the author's personal life.

I'll also be remembering high school geometry with fondness, because each chapter in our text began with a scene & quote from one of the Alice books.

message 23: by Robert Macias (last edited Sep 30, 2018 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Macias I'm pretty hyped to read this, I'm a big Disney person and I've always liked Alice in Wonderland. Living in Southern California I used to go to Disneyland a lot and Alice in Wonderland was one of my favorite rides, and I really like the darker adaptations of the story that have come out, such as American McGee's video game.

message 24: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 965 comments Well I hope that reading the marvelous actual book doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the adaptations! :)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) It seems like Alice, much like Peter Pan, is the type of classic children's story that appeals to adults as well as children, and there are many re-interpretations of both stories that are as captivating as the original.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) | 10 comments I'm going to try to join as well. I am going to try to read it for the story, and not get too caught up in all the symbolism. Sometimes that ruins classics for me. Looking forward to having people to discuss with as well.

message 27: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie Lynn | 1 comments one of my absolutely favourite books, I love the way Lewis Carrol displays Alice's relationship with herself. She is one of the most delightfully authentic characters I have ever had the pleasure of encountering!

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 153 comments I'm so excited to finally read this!

Quick question: for the purposes of this is it just Alice in Wonderland that we're reading or is Through the Looking Glass included?

Susan | 443 comments I only have Alice in Wonderland, as I thought that came up during the nomination process, but maybe someone else remembers for sure. I haven't read this in decades, so it will be interesting to see how it seems upon this distant re-read!

message 30: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 965 comments Yes, we're focusing only on the original book, not the sequel. But I know I'll be continuing, because my dtb has both!

Susan | 443 comments Thanks, Cheryl!

message 32: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 488 comments Cheryl wrote: "Yes, we're focusing only on the original book, not the sequel. But I know I'll be continuing, because my dtb has both!"

Death to be? Daring to be?

message 33: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 965 comments dead tree book, sorry!