2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2017 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ April > APRIL - A book that has been adapted into an Oscar-nominated movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lea (last edited Feb 19, 2017 06:17AM) (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
There is actually a LOT to choose from. These are just some of them:

Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Room - Emma Donoghue
The Price of Salt - Patricia Highsmith
The Martian - Andy Weir
Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
The Danish Girl - David Ebershoff
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed
No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
The Return of the King - JRR Tolkien
Q & A - Vikas Swarup
Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang (this is a short story collection including Arrival, which was adapted into that Amy Adams movie)

A more detailed list of books can be found here, at the Oscar’s Library.

ONTD Original: Oscar Nominated Horror & Sci-Fi Films Based on Books

Reminder that the book you chose for January does NOT count for this month!

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 149 comments does the film need to have been nominated for a major category? I was considering picking up 'The Great Gatsby' but it only won awards for costume design (both the 1974 and 2014 adaptations)

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
Any category is fine, Alyssa.

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (chigangrel) | 9 comments I considered rereading past faves but I think I'm gonna stick with something new and read King Solomon's Mines, because I've been meaning to read it for forever.

message 5: by IMY (new)

IMY Gone with the Wind has been on my to-do list since forever so no more excuses.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Apr 06, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
I think I'm going to aim for 2-3 books this month for the challenge.

My idea list:

The Silence of the Lambs (won five Oscars in 1991)
Rosemary's Baby (Best Adapted Screenplay, 1969)
The Children of Men (nominated Best Adapted Screenplay, 2007)
Jaws (won Best Score, Editing... nominated for Best Picture, 1976)
The Exorcist because I haven't read it since high school (won Best Adapted Screenplay in 1974)
Misery (won Best Actress, 1991)

maybe I'll make a post of horror/sci-fi books-turned-movies that have nominated or won oscars, haha. i'm so lazy tho...

TRACKING THREAD FOR MYSELF UNDER THE SPOILER: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Lea (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
That's a great idea for a post, Rachel! Please do!

Um, I think I might go for The Return of the King in April, but looking at that Oscars library, there's also Rebecca, All Quiet on the Western Front and Hamlet that interest me... maybe this will be the month when I finally read Rebecca lmao

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I'm going to try and do two for April. Right now I'm thinking A Long Way Home (which is what Lion is adapted from) and Jaws.

message 9: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julzreads) | 94 comments I sort of want to copy what Kelly is planning to do. Lol

message 10: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I'm going to be reading Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. It got two nominations and has been on my dresser for awhile, just waiting for me to read it :)

I also want to read A Long Way Home.

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 149 comments Rachel wrote: "I think I'm going to aim for 2-3 books this month for the challenge.

Rosemary's Baby (Best Adapted Scr..."

oh man Rosemary's Baby is SO GOOD.

message 12: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I'm gonna go with The Price of Salt and continue to put off Rebecca lol

message 13: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments FYI, Catch Me If You Can (got nominated for supporting actor and original score) is $1.99 for the ebook rn at Amazon, B&N, and others: https://www.bookbub.com/books/catch-m....

It would also be a good book to read in June for No Fam, It Was I! and that's probably when I'll read it, but I wanted to share :)

message 14: by Miki (new)

Miki (mikilove13) | 6 comments I'll probably wind up reading The Martian since I've been meaning to since the movie came out.

message 15: by Cara (new)

Cara (hidingmyheart) | 35 comments I'm tentatively planning on reading What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, which was brought on by watching the series Feud: Bette and Joan.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments This doesn't leave many choices for me. One of my only options is The Price of Salt which I have previously started and stopped because it was so bad and also the movie stunk.

Is it acceptable to read The Shootist which Unforgiven was based on?

message 17: by Lea (last edited Mar 17, 2017 09:17AM) (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
Unforgiven was an original screenplay. It was ~inspired by~The Shootist but wasn't based on it, ie, it wasn't an adaptation. So it wouldn't count.

(Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/faq)

HOWEVER, I looked it up and there actually WAS an Oscar-nominated movie (Best Art Direction) based on The Shootist, called... (wait for it) The Shootist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sho...

So you may indeed pick The Shootist, because of this 1976 movie starring John Wayne and Lauren Bacall.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments Oh damn that is a plot twist Lea! I'm going to go with that then since the Price of Salt bored me to tears last time.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (winterlace) | 20 comments I thought this would be a perfect occasion to re-read Picnic at Hanging Rock but it turns out it the film was never nominated for an oscar. Complete travesty. I've got Postcards from the Edge as a back up

message 20: by tanya (new)

tanya (tanyafili) | 6 comments I picked up a copy of Brooklyn for this month's topic! I'm also going to read Fight Club again because it's been awhile and I feel like I can do more than one book on this theme.

message 21: by Liz (last edited Mar 27, 2017 11:48AM) (new)

Liz (lizleeee) | 20 comments I'll be reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, nominated in 1983 for Visual Effects and Production Design for it's film adaptation, Blade Runner. It's been sitting in my queue for years and now is as good a time as any, especially with Blade Runner 2049 coming out later this year!

message 22: by Cecil (new)

Cecil | 24 comments Currently waiting on a hold of A Long Way Home. Praying that comes in before the end of April.

I'll probably end up watching Lion beforehand though.

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Eoria wrote: "Currently waiting on a hold of A Long Way Home. Praying that comes in before the end of April.

I'll probably end up watching Lion beforehand though."

My hold just came in yesterday! I'm just finishing up another book first which is short but I don't like it so it's a struggle. :|

message 24: by W (new)

W | 2 comments I'll go with the stories of your life and others. I've had it on my list for a while

message 25: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I decided I'm also going to read Silence of the Lambs since I've never read the book, but the movie has been one of my favorites for a long time :)

message 26: by Rachel (new)

just as FYI, a big book post for April's challenge will be submitted hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest! so if you still need ideas for a book, we've got you covered :D

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Eve wrote: "I decided I'm also going to read Silence of the Lambs since I've never read the book, but the movie has been one of my favorites for a long time :)"

This is such a good book. Red Dragon as well.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Kelly, this may be a silly question but is it necessary to read red dragon before Silence?

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Rachel wrote: "Kelly, this may be a silly question but is it necessary to read red dragon before Silence?"

Not at all. It works completely fine as a stand alone. Like it's referenced a little bit but more of like... almost in an easter egg type way than it affecting the plot or characters at all.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

thanks!!! i just put Silence on hold at the library! I'm definitely gonna read that and Rosemary's Baby.

message 31: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochestar) | 43 comments Thanks for recommending "catch me if you can", Eve. I've surprisingly never seen the film and I want to switch gears into something lighter for this month. I actually don't know if this is light but it seems fun(?). I'm also interested in reading Pygmalion because I only remember some of it from my youth and I think it deserves a proper read so if there is time (and there probably won't be) I'd like to read this one, too. Also, one of my residents was reading Schindler's List for class and now I want to read it but like I said I'm in the mood for *light* so that'll have to wait :)

message 32: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Rochelle, I haven't read the book either! The movie is great though, it's pretty light for the most part. If the book has a similar tone, I'm sure it'll be what you're looking for :) Enjoy!

message 33: by Rachel (new)

April post is up! A ton of recs here: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/...

message 34: by Juliana (last edited Apr 01, 2017 04:32PM) (new)

Juliana (julzreads) | 94 comments I'm going to read A Long Way Homefor April. I may also read about the Von Trapps and The English Patient. We'll see how well I do this month. I said I'd read three last month for the challenge and I only read two

message 35: by Lea (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
I'm going to be travelling a lot this month so I'm only going to commit to one book (probably Stories of Your Life).

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie (javilla) | 8 comments I'm going to read either The Cider House Rules or Wuthering Heights. I have a copy of The Cider House Rules on my Kindle, I'm leaning towards that one.

message 37: by Kat (last edited Apr 02, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Kat | 54 comments My list of potentials this month is:

The Martian
Arrival
A Long Way Home
The Return of the King - I found the audiobook on yt so I'm gonna listen to it

message 38: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochestar) | 43 comments Eve wrote: "Rochelle, I haven't read the book either! The movie is great though, it's pretty light for the most part. If the book has a similar tone, I'm sure it'll be what you're looking for :) Enjoy!"

I started it yesterday and so far I'm liking it. I don't think I'm going to *love* it but I can easily see it translating well to film. At this point I just I wanna finish it quickly so I can watch the movie :)

message 39: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjunipero) | 41 comments I'm planning on reading The Price of Salt. I might also read Misery because I've wanted to for so long.

message 40: by Keri (last edited Apr 02, 2017 09:06PM) (new)

Keri (keri91) | 39 comments There's so many good books to read this month! I'm currently reading Dracula [Bram Stoker's Dracula - Best Costume Design/Makeup - 1993] but I will definitely do another from this category. Maybe Misery and Jaws???

message 41: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments People saying they're reading Misery makes me want to reread it!! Let me not overcommit though...I hope you guys enjoy it!! It's one of my favorite King books

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 53 comments i'm going to skip catching up on march until later, and go straight to reading The Return of the King. life kicked my ass last month and is continuing to this month, so I'm going back to Tolkien for comfort reading lol - I read the Silmarillion last year and have been itching for a reread

message 43: by astrea (new)

astrea (messyshelves) | 24 comments I'm still trying to figure hout what book to read. I'm leaning towards Misery since I was planning on reading that anyways (the theatre company I work for is doing a production soon). But I also want to read The Martian... hmmm.

message 44: by Dessi (new)

Dessi | 15 comments I will be reading In Cold Blood. I am excited, i am a total wuss so I never read thrillers/true crime, but i have been using this challenge to go out of my comfort zone and has been working wonders so far!

message 45: by Lea (new)

Lea | 325 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "I'm still trying to figure hout what book to read. I'm leaning towards Misery since I was planning on reading that anyways (the theatre company I work for is doing a production soon). But I also wa..."

The Martian is a pretty quick read, it's very fast-paced, you can probably read it in a weekend if you have a bit of free time

message 46: by Rachel (last edited Apr 06, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Dessi wrote: "I will be reading In Cold Blood. I am excited, i am a total wuss so I never read thrillers/true crime, but i have been using this challenge to go out of my comfort zone and has been w..."

Dessi, I made a thread for in Cold Blood! I will go to the library either today or Saturday to pick up my copy so I will start the book this weekend.

Thread here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 47: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 149 comments Decided to read Gone, Baby, Gone for this - Amy Ryan was nominated for best supporting actress.

message 48: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochestar) | 43 comments Eve, I don't know what I was thinking when I said I wouldn't love it! Catch me if you can is a wild ride!!! After the initial set up the story becomes more and more thrilling. Some of it seems so outrageous to be true, but I fact checked some of it and he aint lyin. I think you'll enjoy reading it in the summer for "no fam, it was I". Thanks again for recommending. Looks like I'll be able to squeeze in another book this month so I'm planning to read the "Handmaid's Tale" in anticipation of the series. My first foray into Atwood didn't really pan out so here's hoping this one delivers.

message 49: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 13 comments I've been meaning to read The Color Purple for so long! Yes! Perfect opportunity :)

message 50: by Cara (new)

Cara (hidingmyheart) | 35 comments I finished What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? and really enjoyed it. A great old-school suspense novel. Had me on the edge of my seat quite a few times.

« previous 1