Start by marking “Postcards from the Edge” as Want to Read:
Postcards from the Edge

Postcards from the Edge

(Suzanne Vale #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  11,298 ratings  ·  1,029 reviews
Fisher beautifully brings readers the inside of Hollywood through a web of humor, drugs, relationships, Hollywood Party Terror, and much more. The plot centers on a 30-year-old actress named Suzanne Vale, and follows her challenges as she overcomes her drug addiction, gets back into the swing of things, and falls in love, sort of.
Published December 31st 2002 by Pocket (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from the Edge, please sign up.
Thecajungirl Library. If not currently in your local library's collection then request interlibrary loan. Library will locate and borrow the book from another…moreLibrary. If not currently in your local library's collection then request interlibrary loan. Library will locate and borrow the book from another library for you. (less)

·  11,298 ratings  ·  1,029 reviews

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Carrie Fisher died today and now the interwebs are exploding with billions of fangirls who never watched a Star Wars movie until the Manic Pixies told them they should. That sounds hateful, but I don't really give a shit mean it to be . (Confession: I'm not a ginormous Star Wars fan myself.) I am a huge Carrie Fisher fan, though, and it's mainly due to this book.

Postcards from the Edge is a semi-autobiographical story about Carrie after coming out of a stint in rehab. I read this book when I wa
Carol
POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE is the semi-autobiographical novel based on the turbulent life of Carrie Fisher.

The first third of the story recounting 30 days of actress Suzanne Vale's life in rehab was pretty intense and nerve-racking reading (for me) and if you can get through lives and stories of drug dealers, addicts and rather disgusting Hollywood types in those pages, the rest of the novel will be a breeze.

While I loved the movie with its witty and sarcastic dark humor, the novel came across (for

Calista
I enjoyed Carrie's first novel. It was witty and interesting. Suzanne is obviously based loosely on her life from other stories I have read of hers. I feel like this was one of the first behind the scenes of Hollywood. I'm sure there were things before this, but this was a big tell-all basically.

There was the rehab portion, the looking for love portion of the book and the part where she is trying to accept normal portion. I felt the dialogue was snappy, there were funny moments. I enjoy the stor
Matt
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
In her first piece of fiction, Fisher seeks to relay some sentiments through this quasi-biographical story. Suzanne Vale is an actress who has succumbed to the horrors of addiction and finds herself in a treatment facility. While there, she recounts some of her views on fellow addicts and the trials of life on the inside. Released back into her real world, Vale begins the slow process of re-establishing herself, securing a new agent while trying to return to the life she knows so well. However, ...more
Erin
ok.

you know that moment, at the party-you-didn't-want-to-come-to, filled with the important-people-from-work-who-don't-really-like-you, standing in the corner-of-the apartment-marked-specifically-for-losers-and-the-apartment-cat (who is now drunk and stuffed on mini shrimp popper appetizers)? the moment where you realize that you didn't wear the right shoes, your dress is being worn as a shirt by the most beautiful woman in the room, and everyone in the entire WORLD is staring at you when they a
Jonathan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Motherfucking goddam shit. Rest in peace Carrie, you were wonderful

******

Get better soon Carrie, you wonderful nutbag. Am listening to Hearts and Bones and sending thoughts and strength and health in your direction.
Rachel Aranda
This was Ms. Carrie Fisher's debut novel and it's a good one. It's honest, fun, and quite realistic of the struggles of being a recovering "pills addict" and famous actress who doesn't quite know what normal is but trying to find a sense of normalcy. Like everyone in the world, Suzanne has doubts about herself, her life choices, and career as a movie star and I understood and connected with that. I'm a worrier and Suzanne is a worrier too. The only thing I didn't quite like about the plot is how ...more
Naksed
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes I feel like I've got my nose pressed up against the window of a bakery, only I'm the bread.

In Postcards from the Edge, Carrie Fisher writes a part-fiction, part-memoirs account about the highs and lows of life in Hollywood. And by that, I mean the highs of drug consumption followed by the lows of withdrawal during the inevitable stay in rehab.

It is truly fascinating to listen to the her voice spewing the most intricate, absurdist, intellectual and insightful witticisms, trying to cat
Maria
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I searched what became one of my favourite online bookstores for Carrie Fisher in the hope of finding a copy of Wishful Drinking. Instead, I found myself staring at a list of available titles that included Postcards from the Edge. And the question was, why not?

Postcards from the Edge mainly follows the story of an actress who found her way to a rehab clinic after losing – almost for good – her life to drugs. Suzanne has reached her thirties and, after her drug scandal, is having a hard time find
Stacey
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For someone who suffered from drug addiction and depression, Carrie Fisher was a force to be reckoned with when it came to being in touch with her feelings. She really puts them out there in the embodiment of Suzanne Vale, the novel's main character. Geez, she must have felt incredibly vulnerable doing so, too: both as a big celebrity presence and as a former addict. If anyone in Hollywood and America didn't know her story, they knew now.

And was she funny! There are some truly memorable lines h
Suzanne
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
I'll give it a 3.5. Not great literature, but entertaining, even if certain parts went on a bit too long. Fisher's writing style was definitely funny. I did laugh out loud several times, and not that many books make me do that.
debra
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know at the time I read this-I just loved it- and wouldn't stop reading parts of it to anyone who would let me. Don't know if it would be the same now-but at the time I thought it was just so funny and clever.
Julie James
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one--lots of wry, witty lines made all the better by Carrie Fisher's great narration.
Davita
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
She's an excellent author, the subject matter just wasn't to my liking & I just couldn't get into it. I am interested in giving her other books a try, though.
Liz
So good. In the middle, I wondered how it was going to wrap up or touch back on how Suzanne progressed throughout the novel. Very well done.
Elisabeth
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
This book only furthered my belief that Carrie Fisher is a genius. The book is NOTHING like the movie, except for a small part in the middle, but since Carrie also wrote the screenplay it is all good. A lot of what she says in this book rang oddly true to me which was a little confronting, but only made me love it more.

Negative parts? In the beginning when alex narrates the story, he was sooooo annoying, but then again, he was a cokehead and those are known for being annoying. So point well mad
Andi
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
review to come...

EDIT:

So. Here is the deal, because there is not much to tell about this book because nothing seems to happen after the character gets out of rehab.

This book has no plot for 2/3rds. Sad, but true. I think Carrie Fisher is a great writer. She has a way of creating this characters that have a ton of flaws but are witty and real. I think Suzanne is her - this was her outlet, this was her way of writing out her feelings and not caring if a story came out of it.

Also, Alex... why were
Herb
What an awful book! Sheesh....nothing but an overly long series of ramblings (yes, dear hearts, I realize the protagonist is a recovering addict & addicts are supposedly prone to rambling sometimes), but I kept waiting for a point to be made until I realized the book had ended & that possibly there wasn't going to be one. Terrible.
Wendy
Jun 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
maybe it's just me, but i didn't care about this book at all. i had high hopes, which may have been the problem. i found the characters and dialogue forgettable, and the action was limited. not impressed.
Ashley
May 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh, Carrie Fisher.... Such a terrible book. It wasn't poorly written, just hard to care about any of the characters, the narrator in particular. Thankfully, it's a short read so you don't have to suffer for long.
Janine Urban
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I picked this up to see what all the hype was about. I should have left it. It wasn't my cup of tea.
Louize
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Louize by: the movie
“Most people dream big, you dream small. It’s just whatever you haven’t got is what you want. It isn’t the life, it’s what you do with it. So, do something regular with your irregular life, rather than trying to get a regular one, ‘cause you’d just do something irregular with that.”

Driven by my fondness of the film adaptation, I grabbed this book from an on-sale bin from BookSale. I’m sure you’re all aware of the all-star cast movie; and of Meryl Streep and Shirley McLaine’s Golden Globe and O
Kasey
Nov 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nope
Not really sure there was a plot in there....anywhere. I am planning to watch the movie. I'll bet it's nothing like the book.
And I was right! Watched the movie just yesterday & was amazed that the screenplay was written by the author & almost unrecognizable.
Not that it was any good either!
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Aug 07, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bio
do I have this? did I read it? Hmmm... I think I bought it because I liked the movie - check packed boxes someday.
Kasia
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Fisher's debut novel is a hoot. The language is very fluid, seeping straight into my imagination with ease; the scenes are sometimes hilarious and other times scary but masterfully written, very impressive for a first book! For those who know anything about Carrie Fisher, they will see that the book is semi-autobiographical; sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I loved the myriad of original analogies and wonderful sentences, the book might be small and a fast read but fun and meanin ...more
C.
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked-up “Postcards From The Edge” over a decade ago, a highly-regarded literary oeuvre and film. My cinematic cover erroneously suggests the tale of an inadvertently-upstaging famous Mother, which I thought that the story was. However, just one week ago: our world lost Carrie Fisher. I was content to hear-out any story she weaved. I am a “Star Wars” fan but respect her as an acclaimed authoress too, whom I looked forward to experiencing. She was always a riot in interviews, like the one with ...more
Greta
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Carrie Fisher is a trip, excuse the pun as it echoes of the first section of this novel, and I'm super glad that I've now read this and have experienced the easy, authentic, fiesty voice and the simultaneous criticality and sensitivity with which she, in and through her characters, sees and communicates the world.

two quotations that stood out to me in this series of postcards and snapshots of sorts...

regarding intimate relationships; something to consider:

"My route to intimacy is routine. I est
Kyla
Everything after the first chapter could have been complete and total crap, and I'd still give this book 5 stars. Carrie Fisher's ability to allow someone who has never struggled with addition to understand the mindset and thought processes of an addict is unmatched. There's not one ounce of judgement or rebuke in this book, just a fascinating novel full of Fisher's singular wit and humour.

I enjoy the story and love the characters; but, as always, it's the writing that blows me away. This book c
Evelina Liliequist
Jag har sedan barnsben varit ett fan av Carrie Fisher, då för hennes rolltolkning av prinsessan Leia i Star Wars. Efter hennes tragiska bortgång nyligen ville jag lära känna Fisher som författare, vem skulle jag möta där? Efter vad jag har förstått baseras Vykort från drömfabriken delvis på egna erfarenheter eller bär iaf drag från Fishers eget liv.
Jag vet inte exakt vad jag hade väntat mig men Vykort kändes lite som att läsa en dramakomedi från 80-talet, rappa replikutväxlingar, scener där en
Callum McAllister
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the back of this book there's a quote which reads "It makes Moby Dick seem like a big, fat, dumb book."

I mean, any competently executed, charmingly written, understated novel will make Moby Dick look big, fat and dumb--but this one doubly so. It has all the sense of urgency-in-writing that the best American novels (and the best Mountain Goats' songs) have, and a confidence in style and voice that usually comes further down the line in a writing career.
  • The Llama Parlour
  • Shuttlecock
  • Papa John: An Autobiography by John Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas)
  • Wicked Women
  • Thing of Beauty
  • Art and Madness: A Memoir of Lust Without Reason
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
  • Passion and Affect
  • The Skin Type Solution: Are You Certain Tthat You Are Using the Optimal Skin Care Products? Revised and Updated
  • California Dreamin': The True Story of the Mamas and the Papas The Music, the Madness, the Magic that was
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Diary of a Mad Housewife
  • Dark Lover: The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino
Carrie Fisher was an American actress, screenwriter and author, most famous for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy. Fisher was the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds. She had one daughter, Billie Lourd (b. 1992).

Her final film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, was released on December 15, 2017 and is dedicated to her.

Suzanne Vale (2 books)
  • The Best Awful
Karl Marx: "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

Carrie Fisher: "I did masses of opiates religiously.”
260 likes
“I shot through my twenties like a luminous thread through a dark needle, blazing toward my destination: Nowhere.” 93 likes