Start by marking “Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)

Rosemary's Baby

(Rosemary's Baby #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  102,088 ratings  ·  3,320 reviews
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse, an ordinary young couple, settle into a New York City apartment, unaware that the elderly neighbors and their bizarre group of friends have taken a disturbing interest in them. But by the time Rosemary discovers the horrifying truth, it may be far too late!
Published September 1st 1997 by Signet (first published March 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary's Baby, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lindsey Albright
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  102,088 ratings  ·  3,320 reviews

Start your review of Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”She opened her eyes and looked into yellow furnace-eyes, smelled sulphur and tannis root, felt wet breath on her mouth, heard lust-grunts and the breathing of onlookers.”

Nightmare? Passionate dream? Real? How could it be real? It can’t possibly be real.

photo rosemarysbaby_zpsxdtqp8se.jpg

Rosemary Woodhouse wants a baby. She is married to an actor named Guy. They have recently broken another lease to take an apartment in the exclusive Bramford Building. Guy, who glibly uses his acting skills to spin stories, has no difficulty extracting them from t
Delee
I knew from a young age that I probably didn't have the maternal instinct that is necessary to raise a child. I hated dolls- they creeped me out, and instead of dressing up the ones I was given as gifts- the dolls sat in the corner in various stages of undress- while I wheeled my cat whiskers around in a baby carriage- showing off his cute bonnets and frilly dresses. He was the best dressed kitty in the neighborhood. And if my parents were not convinced then, that I would never give them grandch ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1), Ira Levin
Rosemary's Baby is a 1967 horror novel by American writer Ira Levin, his second published book. The book centers on Rosemary Woodhouse, a young woman who has just moved into the Bramford, an old Gothic Revival style New York City apartment building with her husband, Guy, a struggling actor. The pair is warned that the Bramford has a disturbing history involving witchcraft and murder, but they choose to overlook this. Rosemary has wanted children fo
El
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am not marking this review as containing spoilers, because honestly, it's the 21st century and if you know nothing about the book or the movie, then that's just sad and shame on you (unless you don't like scary things, in which case you shouldn't even be on this page). If you don't want to know anything about the story, then please stop reading here.

Disclaimer 2: This is probably going to be a long review because I have a lot of thoughts. If you don't want to read a long review, then please sto/>Disclaimer
Candi
"She didn’t know if she was going mad or going sane…"

Well, this classic horror novel certainly hit the spot this month! You simply can’t go wrong with pure and ‘simple,’ subtle fright for some pre-Halloween entertainment. This is a book very firmly set in the period of 1966 New York City, yet it never feels outdated on the creepiness scale! It has such a nightmarish quality that seeps into your psyche and makes you wonder on whom you can truly rely. Are people something other than what they a
Mariel
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I'm afraid of karma
Recommended to Mariel by: the movies
This is why I will never have children.
Joe Valdez
What shocks me most about reading Rosemary's Baby is what fantastic fiction it is. Published in 1967, this thriller by Ira Levin flew off shelves and was adapted to film in 1968 by Roman Polanski into not only a prestigious studio picture but one that stands the test of time as one of the best horror films ever produced. In an afterword penned in 2003 and included in this edition, Levin expresses surprise by how faithful the hit film was to his book--preserving virtually all of the characters and sc ...more
Carol
ROSEMARY'S BABY is creepy as HELL!

I truly had no intention of reading this novel until I realized Ira Levin was the author. He sure could write creepy-scary too, and as with his other novels, he moves right along in the telling describing a 1966 New York City setting, young newlyweds Rosemary and Guy, and their new place of residence in the 'old' Bramford apartment building with a very dark history.

If you've only seen the scary as HELL movie, you'll find the book very similar, if not exactly the same, complete with weird 'old'history.

IfHELL!

I
Celeste
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Thanks, Mr. Levin. I hate it.

I had so many problems with this book. Because I feel the need to vent about said problems, there will be an abundance of spoilers in the review below. I’ll try to keep things as vague as possible, but yeah. Spoilers. If you’re unfamiliar with the story and have any desire to read it without prior knowledge, please skip reading this review.

You have been warned.

I feel like one of the very few people in my part
Rebecca McNutt
This book might not be the most modern one out there, but it's still timeless, written in the era of the "love generation" and incorporating subtle elements of creepiness into the story until finally, it takes a dramatic turn for the bizarre and sinister. What could be more scary than knowing that a devil's cult wants your baby?

This book just isn't the same without the accompanying film though, the vibrant bright colors of celluloid film and the excellent acting and soundtrack were what brought
Abigail
holy mother of fucksticles
that
was
aye-maze-ing
4.75 This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening. stars.
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary and her husband Guy are moving, looking for an apartment to have their children. When a place opens up at Bramford, they do all they can to get it, but it may have been the worst decision of their lives...

Rosemary and Guy have been married for several years, Guy is a failing actor, he just can't find any jobs. Rosem4.75that
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

The horror of this book is not the devil, nor his baby-demon. The horror of this book is represented by the corrupt, deranged mortals who surround Rosemary, all of them led by Guy, her husband. He sold his wife's body for success. He drugged her, stood there and watched his wife being rapped by the devil.

description

He stood there and watched her conceive the devil's child... and getting tortured by the cre
Tom Lewis
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
In case there’s anyone out there in GRland who hasn’t seen the Roman Polanski film, or isn’t familiar with its shock ending, I’ll keep the spoilers to a minimum. The film is a faithful adaptation of the book. They’re both eerie, atmospheric, and unsettling; but never really cross over into being scary.

My takeaways from the book (and film) – beware of kindly old busybody neighbors who are overbearing with their gifts. Never accept a smelly good-luck charm from said busybody neighbors.
Shaina
AMEERA
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
OH GOD 💔💔'
Ellen Gail
“There’s nothing to be afraid of, Rosemary; honest and truly there isn’t.”

If you've seen the movie, you've basically read the book. I never realized what a faithful adaptation Polanski made, down to entire passages of dialogue and what clothes the characters wore. That said, both the book and the movie are fantastic.

I have to give the movie the slight edge due to Mia Farrow's outstanding performance, but I had a great time reading this.
Zuky the BookBum
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, 2017
This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening.

Note to self and others: beware of overly friendly neighbours.

This is amazing. At just over 200 pages, this novel takes you on a hell (excuse the pun) of a journey that you won’t forget anytime soon. Levin has managed to make a novel so witty, and at the same time, so terrifying. In a way, the tone of this book is reminiscent of American Psycho (or rather American Psycho is reminiscent of this as it came out afterwards), but rather than
Caro the Helmet Lady
I always say that you should never trust non working retirees, they have weird hobbies and too much free time on their hands and it's a common knowledge that the devil does find work for idle hands. This novel is the best example to prove my theory.

All right, I don't want to be mean to senior citizens, but I do have my suspicions, OK?

Other than that I definitely enjoyed the book, it didn't feel much dated, on the opposite - it felt quite on time in times when we still have to debate
Gabrielle
Just as with “Stepford Wives”, “Rosemary’s Baby” is a book that seems to be about one thing, but that has many more layers than meet the eyes waiting to be peeled back by the reader. This is the magic of Levin: he makes you think you are reading a story about one thing, but introduces you slowly to a whole other level of creepiness that you could never have expected by reading the synopsis at the back of the book. And also just like in “Stepford Wives”, there is an interesting feminist subtext t ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oct-tbr, classics, horror
4.5 Stars
This little novel certainly holds up a horror classic! Dark and twisted, this would be a wonderful (or terrible) book to read when pregnant. The ending was so bizarre, but I think I liked it. I don’t always connect with classic literature, but I found this one to be very accessible and engrossing. I would highly recommend it to other horror readers.
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I would like to start of this review by posting a special NOTICE for folks who own this novel from THE STEPHEN KING HORROR LIBRARY and have not read the novel before. DO NOT read the forward by Stephen King until after you have read the novel. I love King. I love King's analysis and opinions on things. But this is the first time that I have read something written by Stephen King that made me want to punch the man in the face. I don't mean that literally of course, but it's the best way that I ca ...more
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
“Could anyone know when an actor was true and not acting?”

This review is going to contain some minor spoilers, because I just assumed that the majority of people has seen the movie anyway (like I did), or at least knows what the story is about.

I must admit that, if I wouldn't know how the plot of Rosemary's Baby was going to progress, I would have stopped reading this book after the first few chapters. The tension
Becky
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Becky by: Maciek
4.5 Stars

I admit that I'm a little torn on what to rate this book, so I split the difference, although I'm really tempted to go all StarSearch™ up in this piece and do 4.75 stars. (Wait, did they have a 5 star rating system? No, I think it was only 4. Crap. Well, anyway, you get the point. That is, unless you're younger than me and don't even know what StarSearch is. In that case, you're a jerk, and go away.)

Anyway, I'm torn because, having seen the movie before, I think that Rom
Puck
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic (horror) fans
This book is not about a baby.

Okay, maybe a little, but don’t be mislead readers because there is so much more to this horror book that what the title indicates. This is a terrifying story about isolation, about control (and losing it), about spousal-abuse. About being horribly betrayed by people whom you should be able to trust. About sweet Rosemary, who despite her role as protagonist, has the least power of all.

"Before Rosemary’s Baby nature was the enemy, in the form of ghosts and death and decay.”
aPriL does feral sometimes
Rosemary is pregnant.

‘Rosemary’s Baby’, by Ira Levin, is a wonderful novel! It begins slow, but then as the clues pile on, the plot thickens, gentle reader, like a ripening seed!

Rosemary’s belly is hurting terribly all of the time - four months so far.

Isn’t being pregnant supposed to be good news? She wanted and wanted a baby, but her young husband Guy Woodhouse, failing actor, always said maybe later.

Then, a lucky break! A five-room apartment becomes available at a surp
Estelle
I really quite liked it! It wasn't scary but there was a nice tension throughout the book and a great climax.
If you like the movie, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the novel as well. Both are very similar and Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is easily one of the best horror adaptations out there.

Overall, a good way to start the #SpookyBRB month!
Mindi
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even count the number of times I've seen the film Rosemary's Baby. To this day, it remains firmly in my top 10 favorite movies list. Perhaps it was my love for the film that kept me from reading the novel it was based on, but I finally decided to give it a go, and I'm kind of making it into a theme now. The next two books on my TBR pile are popular novels from the 60's and 70's that were made into equally popular films.

Now that I have read the novel, I understand why I love t
Bill
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is more like it.

Prior to reading this, I was a month and 800 pages into George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords, a sprawling epic with dozens of characters and several storylines.
After stumbling across severe spoilers, and still 400 pages to go, I threw in the towel. I was burnt out on the story, and was getting much more excited about my to-read pile than the book I was reading. It was time to stop.

This is what I needed: A nice & tidy, straightforward story.<
Addy
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was simply fantastic! Great scary read for Halloween that gave me the creeps throughout. Most everyone has probably read this great classic, so I won't go into the details of what it was about. I will say it had a lot of surprises for me and kept me on the edge of my seat, so I can see why it turned into a classic horror movie as well. Just beware if you hear some strange chanting in or near your abode. Make sure you know you're neighbors, let alone you're own husband and always keep a ...more
Vanessa
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much!! I couldn't read this fast enough. The writing style the pacing was delivered expertly, with the right amount of creepiness that never felt over the top. I loved everything from beginning to end, including the slightly ambiguous ending. I will definately have to source some of this author's other books. I have watched most of his movie adaptations but not read his books up until now. I will have to rectify that quick smart!
Selecting The Most Effective Nappy Covers 1 6 Sep 14, 2019 03:12AM
Creatures, Creatu...: August Group Read: Rosemary's Baby 59 27 Aug 15, 2019 02:59AM
Vampires, Weres a...: Horror Challenge: Rosemary's Baby 47 22 Jul 28, 2019 02:39PM
Stephen King Fans: Rosemary's Baby 20 68 Apr 02, 2019 08:44PM
Gothic Literature: Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin 6 11 Feb 22, 2019 12:36AM
Need recommendations for cult horror 3 15 Aug 30, 2018 10:53AM
Dead and Well-Rea...: Discussion 2 6 27 Oct 31, 2017 11:15AM

• The Amityville Horror
  • The Omen
  • The Exorcist
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)
  • Psycho (Psycho #1)
  • The Howling
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • Misery
  • The Fog
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • Ghost Story
  • The Talisman (Volume 1): The Road of Trials
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play

Rosemary's Baby (2 books)
  • Son of Rosemary
“Anyone who needs more than one suitcase is a tourist, not a traveler” 162 likes
“Like so many unhappinesses, this one had begun with silence in the place of honest open talk.” 23 likes