What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > about a boy who comes across a missing person poster which he believes looks like himself, he goes to this family and he tells them that he is that missing boy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments I was in grade 10 English class (1995), we had to pick books to read and I came across this one book, which I cannot remember.

The book is about a boy who comes across a missing person poster which he believes looks like himself, he goes to this family (and from what I can remember) he tells them that he is that missing boy. I want to say the missing boy's name is Michael, but I'm unsure. I do remember the story did involve the mother struggling with the thought of her missing son, and this now boy saying he is her son.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember much else.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read this book. The Year Without Michael? Is that it?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 30, 2017 12:22PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Year Without Michael for Andy's suggestion.

Is this fiction or non-fiction? I think about that time there was a teenaged boy who had been taken as a younger boy who freed a younger boy who'd also been taken and went with him to the police, and told them that he'd also been kidnapped by the man he'd thought was his father. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the book (or the made-for-tv movie that they made from it), but is it possible that this is your book?

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Gotta love IMDB--I went and checked for the movie and from that found the book. While the boy's name isn't michael, it is written by a mike. . . Could this be it?
I Know My First Name Is Steven

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments I believe it may be the book. It fits the timeline, I'm going to have to grab it and re-read it.

Thank you!

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Another book loosely based on the true story of Steven Stayner (I Know My First Name is Steven) is Counterfeit Son, by Elaine Marie Alphin. It may be worth looking into that one as well.

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments Kelly wrote: "Another book loosely based on the true story of Steven Stayner (I Know My First Name is Steven) is Counterfeit Son, by Elaine Marie Alphin. It may be worth looking into that one as well."

For sure, that sounds like a very good book!

message 8: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Year Without Michael for Andy's suggestion.

Is this fiction or non-fiction? I think about that time there was a teenaged boy who had been taken as a younger boy who freed a young..."

It's actually fiction. I'm not 100% sure It's "a year without Michael" ...I do remember the boy finding the missing poster and believing it's him.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Shawn, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments It's definitely not The Year Without Michael. In that one, Michael disappears without a trace. The book is about his sister and the rest of the family.

message 11: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments I have not found this book yet.

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Shawn, did you rule out:

- I Know My First Name Is Steven by Mike Echols - Ann's suggestion? Do the abduction details match your book?

- Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin - Kelly's suggestion? Do the father and abduction details match your book?

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Counterfeit Son wasn't pubbed until 2000, though, and Shawn read his book back in '95.

message 14: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Bastien | 11 comments the book was definitely fiction.. unfortunately it wasn't the book by Mike Echols.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 255 comments Main character isn't a boy, but this sounds a lot like The Face on the Milk Carton. It also sounds a bit like Dead to You (2012).

Other possibilities:
The Deep End of the Ocean (1996) a child disappears and later returns, but focuses on the mother
Stranger in the House (1983)