Manga Book Club discussion

45 views
Questions > Ways to aline your shelf

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jingraves (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:35AM) (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments I was looking the other day and wanting to know a better way to put books on the shelf.

Right now I have 6 vertical normal shelves , 1 horizontal shelf (this one is taken), 1 small shelf, and 2 small vertical movie shelves.

what is a good way to rearrange manga:
-Publisher
-Genre
-A to Z

Right now I have one incomplete shelf, for stuff still coming out, everything else is full, and then I have one half full of incompletes and half full of completes. In the complete shelves I have one full of Omnibus or books that are as large as them on it.

Thoughts, opinions please. Thank you ^_^V.


message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) If I had another bookshelf (or 2), I'd organize them by genre and then author (you could do by title just as well). My top and bottom shelves tend to be reference and my middle shelf is fiction, generally organized by genre. There's manga hidden behind the massive stacks.




message 3: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments That's awesome! I'm riding on the libraries coat tails. All my friends laugh because my library is bigger than the manga sections at any retailers (Barns & Noble). I am very pleased that I have all of the Shonen Jump printed magazines before they went all digital.
My non-manga shelves look exactly like this though with some models or figures in places.


She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) | 6 comments Jingraves wrote: "That's awesome! I'm riding on the libraries coat tails. All my friends laugh because my library is bigger than the manga sections at any retailers (Barns & Noble). I am very pleased that I have all..."

Your shelf sounds amazing <3
If it were me, I would organize by genre and within the genres A- Z, if you get what I mean.


message 5: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments My biggest down fall is all the Tokyopop manga I have from when they went under and printed a lot that turned into one shots.


message 6: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments I don't have the shelves for my manga so instead I use bins I pick up at Walmart and use Excel to organize which books are in which bin. Excel also lets me organize everything alphabetically so I don't accidentally buy books I already had. Completed series and one shots tend to go into the same bins so I don't have to reorganize them constantly when things get tight and new bins are needed.

By the way Tokyo pop is back again even if they lost some of their titles to other distributors. I want new Sgt Frog. :)


message 7: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Totally big fan of SGT Frog. Glad their back in the game too.
I'll have to take some pictures and upload them.

I'm one of those people though that my friends laugh about because I can tell them without looking which shelf a book is on how many volumes there are if its complete and what its sitting by.

I'm right there getting close to the 3000 mark, off by just a few hundred. I just love collecting them and knowing their outside stories of how they were written.


message 8: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Jingraves wrote: "Totally big fan of SGT Frog. Glad their back in the game too.
I'll have to take some pictures and upload them.

I'm one of those people though that my friends laugh about because I can tell them w..."


Wow! Nearly 3000? I am barely over 1200 :)


message 9: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 375 comments Mod
WHAT!?!?!?! TOKYOPOP IS BACK!! Oh sweet Jesus I hope the last volume of Saiyuki Reload and the entire Saiyuki Reload Blast series will FINALLY be available in English!!!!!!!!!!!


message 10: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Miss Ryoko wrote: "WHAT!?!?!?! TOKYOPOP IS BACK!! Oh sweet Jesus I hope the last volume of Saiyuki Reload and the entire Saiyuki Reload Blast series will FINALLY be available in English!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://www.tokyopop.com/book-catalogue Yup as soon as I saw the Alice in Wonderland manga on a shelf I picked it up and found out they are coming back.


message 11: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Ian wrote: "Jingraves wrote: "Totally big fan of SGT Frog. Glad their back in the game too.
I'll have to take some pictures and upload them.

I'm one of those people though that my friends laugh about because..."


Ya, I love manga and can't help but read it. It's also my go to for stress relief haha.


message 12: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments It's coming back slowly, but surely.


message 13: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments How do you put a photo on your comment? Alex G can you help me in this area? (T_T)V


message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Jingraves wrote: "How do you put a photo on your comment? Alex G can you help me in this area? (T_T)V"

Upload your graphic to a free image-hosting service. A lot of people use imgur.com and I do too. You don't even have to register. Copy that URL And then Use the img src="url_to_image" HTML tag in your post.


message 15: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Alex G wrote: "Jingraves wrote: "How do you put a photo on your comment? Alex G can you help me in this area? (T_T)V"

Upload your graphic to a free image-hosting service. A lot of people use imgur.com and I do t..."


thanks


message 16: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments [image error]


message 17: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments [image error]


message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Jingraves wrote: ""

Whoa! @_@


message 19: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments [image error]


message 20: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments [image error]


message 21: by Jingraves (last edited Jan 30, 2017 12:15PM) (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments This all I've read, I took it Sat.

I have one in my room of all my stuff I need to read.


message 22: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Yup I need more shelves. Oh and money so I can catch up :)


message 23: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Ian wrote: "Yup I need more shelves. Oh and money so I can catch up :)"

You can do it. I believe in you, just a couple at a time. When I was younger, my mother would give me allowance every week, $20. I would make deals with her like mowing the lawn or something like that, that away she would let me get 3 instead of 2. Books-A-Millions buy 2 get 1 free was totally a blessing on my pocket book, because then I could get 6 sometimes.


message 24: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Jingraves wrote: "Ian wrote: "Yup I need more shelves. Oh and money so I can catch up :)"

You can do it. I believe in you, just a couple at a time. When I was younger, my mother would give me allowance every week, ..."


No kidding. :) I like saving for the Summer sales at Barnes and Nobles who does the same thing with buy 2 get one free. Still at 10 to 25 or so a book and paying rent, bills, and food It will just be a matter of time.


message 25: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Ian wrote: "Jingraves wrote: "Ian wrote: "Yup I need more shelves. Oh and money so I can catch up :)"

You can do it. I believe in you, just a couple at a time. When I was younger, my mother would give me allo..."


I know the feeling. I try to go for those sales or their bargain section for manga. Their just cheaper, if not I use Rightstuf, they are wonderful. Membership for a whole year is $25. They give you 10% besides if their having a sale and give you special coupons and stuff from time to time.

That's really were I get a lot of mine.


message 26: by Raven (new)

Raven (fallenravenqueen) | 4 comments Sorry I can't be any help on organizing shelves. I need more room period. At one time I had so many books I was tripping over them and having them crash down on me in my sleep. So honestly I've digitized most of my library. It was either that or build a building separate from my house to hold all my books. Since that would have cut into my book buying I opted not to do that. Thankfully now with all the eBooks available. I've gotten more digital books then actual books. My house is still running over with books but, I usually organize them alphabetically by author same with my digital eBooks and audio-book collection. I do have at least a few hundred disc full of books in big binders placed on my bookshelf and those are just haphazardly thrown together with no organization in sight.


message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Raven wrote: "I had so many books I was tripping over them and having them crash down on me in my sleep. So honestly I've digitized most of my library."

seriously? @_@

just out of curiosity, how did you digitize manga? did you cut the binding and then stack the individual pages in a scanner feed?


message 28: by Raven (last edited Feb 04, 2017 10:37PM) (new)

Raven (fallenravenqueen) | 4 comments I did scan most of them but also replaced those that have since been brought out as an ebook. Those really hard to find series I've kept as books stored in my closet. My closet is full of books and not clothing.


message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Raven wrote: "I did scan most of them but also replaced those that have since been brought out as an ebook. Those really hard to find series I've kept as books stored in my closet. My closet is full of books and..."

that's a lot of hours! you're hardcore. ^_-


message 30: by Raven (new)

Raven (fallenravenqueen) | 4 comments yeah it took me a while


message 31: by Jingraves (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:09AM) (new)

Jingraves | 33 comments Alex G wrote: "Raven wrote: "I did scan most of them but also replaced those that have since been brought out as an ebook. Those really hard to find series I've kept as books stored in my closet. My closet is ful..."

That's why Raven is one of my ideals. Her and I, in another group, are part of the top two that read a lot of manga in a year. The goal is at least a hundred books. I think my last was just over 300 and Raven was over 500.


back to top