Gore and More discussion

General Horror Chat > Alien Horror

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
Alien Horror has always been one of my favorites subgenres. What are some of your favorite tales that blend these two genres together?

message 2: by Troy (last edited Jan 25, 2017 04:04PM) (new)

Troy (robotroym) | 37 comments My favorite alien horror story is the novella Who Goes There?
Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.
I'm also a big fan of some of the movies based off the novella including The Thing from Another World and John Carpenter's The Thing.

message 3: by Terry (new)

Terry | 47 comments I've read several of the Aliens books, based on the Ridley Scott movie. They've been ok.

message 4: by Kenneth (new)

Troy wrote: "My favorite alien horror story is the novella Who Goes There?
I'm also a big fan of some of the movies based off the novella including The Thing from Another Wor..."

John Carpenter's The Thing is an absolute masterpiece in my eyes.

message 5: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) | 37 comments Ken wrote: "Troy wrote: "My favorite alien horror story is the novella Who Goes There?
I'm also a big fan of some of the movies based off the novella including The Thing fro..."

Has some of the best special make-up and creature effects ever created, even compared to today's movies. I watch it every winter. Never gets old.

message 6: by Staci (new)

Staci Johnson Glad to find others with interest in Who Goes There and The Thing. I'd love to read again and visit with you guys about the read
Just joined the group.

message 7: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Stinger comes to mind.

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've read quite a few books about aliens, but not many I would classify as horror. Would Under the Dome count? Despite the crappy ending, the book was very, very good, but not really about aliens, they just caused the whole mess.

message 9: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 40 comments John Carpenter's The Thing is classic as are the Alien movies. There's also a great limited series comicbook by Garth Ennis called Caliban that's really good. And I guess technically most of Lovecraft's Cthulhu stuff is ancient aliens before ancient aliens flew in on the chariots of gods.

message 10: by David (last edited Jan 27, 2017 10:32AM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments Ken wrote: "Troy wrote: "John Carpenter's The Thing is an absolute masterpiece in my eyes ..."

And in mine.

Also enjoyed the Alien movies, particularly 1 & 2. Also, Lifeforce now seems really dated, but back in the eighties what wasn't to like? :)

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

One of my favorite reads from this sub genre is Blackout Blackout by Tim Curran by Tim Curran. It has a nice, creepy Twilight Zone-esque quality about it.

message 12: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Ken wrote: "One of my favorite reads from this sub genre is Blackout Blackout by Tim Curran by Tim Curran. It has a nice, creepy Twilight Zone-esque quality about it."

I like what I've read of Tim Curran. I think this needs to go on my tbr.

message 13: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments Ken wrote: "One of my favorite reads from this sub genre is Blackout Blackout by Tim Curran by Tim Curran. It has a nice, creepy Twilight Zone-esque quality about it."

Thanks, Ken. Added TBR.

message 14: by Kenneth (new)

David wrote: "Ken wrote: "One of my favorite reads from this sub genre is Blackout Blackout by Tim Curran by Tim Curran. It has a nice, creepy Twilight Zone-esque quality a..."

It's probably my favorite Curran read, so far. Hope you like it.

message 15: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 40 comments David wrote: "Ken wrote: "Troy wrote: "John Carpenter's The Thing is an absolute masterpiece in my eyes ..."

And in mine.

Also enjoyed the Alien movies, particularly 1 & 2. Also, Lifeforce now seems really dat..."

Lifeforce was so much fun.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Troy wrote: "My favorite alien horror story is the novella Who Goes There?
I'm also a big fan of some of the movies based off the novella including The Thing from Another Wor..."

Wow, I've never read it or thought about getting it much. Not sure why - as John Carpenter's The Thing is one of MY favorite movies of all time too. Bliss.

Surprisingly I've read little alien horror, I don't run into it much.

I read a sci-fi vintage YA by Christopher Pike called The Visitor last week that ended up alien involved.

I have read the two movie novelizations from the first Alien movies. I want to read some of the comic series.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim Lay | 5 comments Here are two recent reads in the genre of "alien horror" that I really enjoyed. Parasite by Darcy Coates and Deathform by Benjamin Allocco

message 18: by Wade (last edited Feb 09, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

Wade | 14 comments D20 wrote: "Stinger comes to mind."
I enjoyed that one as well. Great plot with big, interesting cast.

Scott Sigler's Infected (Infected, #1) by Scott Sigler Infected was quite an effective alien outing. His use of body horror will literally make you squirm in your seat.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 14 comments Ken wrote: "Troy wrote: "My favorite alien horror story is the novella Who Goes There?
I'm also a big fan of some of the movies based off the novella including The Thing fro..."

YES it is a total masterpiece! One of my favorite movies ever. Well-acted, great practical effects that have withstood the test of time, lots of suspense and truly frightening scenes. Hmm, it's been a while since I got to watch it, think I'll put it on this weekend :)

I'm finally reading Who Goes There? this weekend. I put it on hold at the library months ago and it's been overdue since the beginning of January, but it FINALLY got returned! Very excited to read it.

Would very much like to read more alien horror. Thinking about it, haven't really read much or any. I kinda wanna read nonfic books about alien abductions lol, that sort of thing has been on my mind lately.

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments Hmm..I tend to like my aliens and my horror separate as I like real life alien stories but I'd be open to a good alien horror if it sounds appealing enough to me. I know some have mentioned Tim Curran here and I'm reading one of his books now so if I like it I may take a look at his other books including ones mentioned here. I know Stephen King has one or two as well that sounds interesting.