Start by marking “Stinger” as Want to Read:
Stinger

Stinger

In the remote Texas town of Inferno, a creature of evil beyond anything the world has ever encountered descends. He traps the town and ravages the land with grisly executions and horrible mutations . . . until the people rise up in a final, desperate battle. From the author of Swan Song. Original.
Published April 1st 1988 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Stinger, please sign up.
Judy I enjoyed it very much. I am a fan of McCammon. Read a good bit of his work but not all by any means.

Start your review of Stinger
Mort
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy 5 Stars!

“Cody Lockett is a human being. You are human beings. What is the difference?”

And there lies the secret to life, right? The only race that truly matters is the human race. So why is it so difficult for us to let go of all the petty bullshit?

***
Inferno, Texas, is a dying town. Hell, it's already dead, since the school will be closing permanently after tomorrow's graduation, so what will be left? Will the Rattlers and the Renegades, the two gangs, finally declare a full scale war to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
That was pretty damn good!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Char
STINGER by Robert Mccammon is simply 80's horror F-U-N! With the entire book taking place over the course of one night, it's a great example of the horror being written during that time.

This is the story of a duel alien invasion-one alien crashed on earth due to a ship malfunction, (Daufin) and the other a bounty-hunter come to track the first one down, (Stinger). All of this takes place in the town of Inferno, in west Texas.

With a variety of small town characters putting aside their differenc
Dan Schwent
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2010
Dirk Grobbelaar
Deep down, in the centre of the blackness, something might have shifted—a cautious, slow stirring; an ancient thing, contemplating the shine of light that touched it through the murk. Then it was still again, pondering and gathering strength.

McCammon takes some time to set up his story and his characters. This is one of the aspects I enjoy about Horror novels like these; it’s quite the immersive experience. On the other hand, I didn’t care much for the whole Renegades vs Rattlesnakes gang war th
Paul O'Neill
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy Stinger, this was unbelievably good! I'm in shock.

McCammon is cementing himself as one of my favourites.

What can I say about this book?
- It's one of the creepiest books ever Where's the guardian?
- The atmosphere is vividly described and stays with you throughout
- The characters are all great and you learn to care for them as a collective
- I like what it says about humanity
- Two alien races who aren't just dumb monsters laying waste to the land, they have purposes
- The writing is c
Char
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure I read this as a teenager, but if I did, I sure don't remember it, so this book was entirely new to me. And what a great book it was!
I'm a HUGE fan of Robert McCammon and have slowly been reading and re-reading all of his books. By doing so I've been treated to to the birth and growth of an incredible author, and a damn fine good time.
Stinger has everything a horror fan could want, great characters, a great setting, humor, wit, and downright creepiness. Oh, and nasty monsters,
Adam Light
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
McCammon masterfully spins 80's horror/sc-fi tale for the ages. This one ranks right up there with the author's spectacular epic Swan Song as one of his best, most enduring works. I'm completely satisfied with this book. Read it!
Karl
This is copy 285 of 1000 signed numbered copies signed by Robert McCammon.
Chris Berko
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 actually. I have not read an unentertaining book by Robert McCammon. I've read the great: Swan Song and Boy's Life, and the good: Mine and The Five, but not yet the bad. Stinger is close to being great and I can't quite put in words what it's lacking. The 80s vibe was killer and it successfully straddled the line between horror and sci-fi, with a little bit of the whole teen/angst The Outsiders thread thrown in. Maximum fun-ness.
Thomas Strömquist
This was an extremely painful read that I have no idea why I put myself through. To be fair, it started out as a fun, time-honoured sci-fi horror with no need for a reader to question anything too much (well, after the first 50 or so oddly slow pages).

Unfortunately, McCammons editor was either drunk or asleep or both and let pass 300 pages of mind-numbingly boring, repetitive and extremely predictable ‘story’ that I wouldn’t wish on any reader.

At the half-way mark I was thinking that either I w
Josh
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own, camping_reads
A character driven story set over a 24hr period which echoes the best of Stephen King while blending horror and science fiction.

*full review to come*
Courtnie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, horror, reviewed
McCammon delivers for me a second time. Gruesome and riveting but with a lot of heart. My sample size is small yet as this is only my second McCammon, but I might prefer him to King.

A small Texas town is rocked by the crash landing of an object of unknown origin. While something a little strange is going on with a local veterinarians young daughter who interacted with the busted up remnants first, the foreign object is not anything that the nearest air force base and personal can't contain and r
Obsidian
I have to say that it appears besides "Boy's Life" I'm not destined to like any of Robert McCammon's books. "Stinger" dragged forever. I almost DNFed it, but I just decided to finish it so I could count it as a bingo read. I ended up not caring about any character we are introduced to, I wasn't scared, and I just went than goodness when I got to the end.

The dying town of Inferno, Texas is on its last legs. In a few months when the local high school closed there won't be anything left of the to
Bill
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
For the most part, Stinger was a fun read. I love a good mixture of horror and sci-fi, and this tale of an extraterrestrial on the run was an okay one.
I liked the concept of Daufin, and her pursuer, and I liked the relationship between Rick and Cody. Apart from that, though, I don't much else to say about it.
I think the story could easily have survived with 200 less pages. By the time I was 400 pages in, it seemed action was just a little too drawn on, and I was getting to the point of, okay, ca
Paul O'Neill
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books ever and a study in how a horror book should be made. Great characters, awesome setting, terror at every corner and excellent writing.
Dreadlocksmile
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
First published back in 1988, Robert McCammon’s sci-fi horror novel ‘Stinger’ followed on from the successful novels ‘They thirst!’ and ‘Swan Song’. Already with quite a well respected name for himself within the horror world, McCammon’s ‘Stinger’ was a widely anticipated release for this author.

Set in the not too distant future within a dusty Texas town named Inferno, the books starts off setting the scene in this scorching hot dying town. Work is hard to come by and life is hard for the reside
Alondra Miller
4 Stars

What a blast, that was!

It was like a B-Movie on acid. Much better than Invasion of the Killer Tomatoes.

It had all the elements: Fat, loser sheriff; goody-two shoes family, crotchety old rich lady; town drunkard, racial tension, bullied-by-everyone-town-nerd, and gangs. Oh, and did I mention the gloriously, disgusting monster who also happens to be a "bounty hunter!??" It doesn't get any better than this.

I really had no expectations of greatness, but this was a great horror story, and w
Kimberly
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Re-read remains a solid 5 stars!
Twerking To Beethoven
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could you blend "The Terminator", "ET", "Close Encouters of the Third Kind", "Tremors" and Under the Dome (only with a far more satisfying & better ending)? What would you get?

STINGER, that's what you'd get.

4.5 stars.
Russ
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was brutal, gory, action packed blast to read!! I love McCammon!!
Marvin
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Robert McCammon is quite gifted at taking old ideas and infusing them with new life. He also tends to write like he is writing with the movies in mind. He wrote Stinger like he had a TV movie in mind. The idea of good alien being chased by bad alien while endangering the human race is somewhat of a standard idea. The author does manage to write some excellent action segments and the ending moves like a runaway train ablaze. Yet his characters are cardboard cutouts. McCammon uses every small town ...more
Lance Dale
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One sentence review:
Masterfully told story which answers the age old question of who would win in a fight between a dolphin and a scorpion.
Rose
I normally like McCammon but this was far from my favourite horror story. I was doing fine for the first third but then things got a tad cheesy. I know it’s because it’s been decades since this was written, totally not the author’s fault, but when you want to laugh while reading a horror then you know that book isn’t for you.

The first thing I thought was funny was that an evil alien ship landed on Earth and it turned out to be the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas. Not the actual hotel but an immense bla
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
An alien spaceship crashes near a small Texas border town, its occupant a bounty hunter on the trail of another alien of a different species who has recently escaped from a prison planet. That certainly sounds more like science fiction than horror but the way Robert McCammon unfolds this plot is pure horror. Trust me. The nature of the bounty-hunter alien (nicknamed “Stinger”) is a scorpion-like, mucus producing, monster with the ability to rapidly replicate allies using spare machine parts and ...more
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robert-mccammon
Before reading Stinger I read three other McCammon titles and considered myself a fan. I wasn't a rabid, hardcore fan -- but a fan nonethless.

Stinger changed that. I'm now a very dedicated fan of Robert McCammon.

This book is about two opposing terrestrial forces that comes to a small, dying town in Texas. One -- Daufin -- is on the run and the other -- Stinger -- is a bounty hunter looking for the criminal alien force.

I know what you're thinking -- that sounds like the plot of a cheaply-made
Carl I.
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yup, I'm giving this one the ol' "5 Star" rating!
Basic premise: Alien shows up on earth, takes over the body of little girl, another alien shows to bring back the other alien who we find out is an escaped "prisoner".
The power within this book is 100% the characters. McCammon gives us such string characters that we have no choice but to get wrapped up in the story. His whole book could have been about the stuggle between the two gangs, or the relationship between Cody and Curt (son and drunk da
I. Clayton Reynolds
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? McCammon's got it as usual. It wasn't on the same level as Swan Song, Boy's Life, or Usher's Passing, but it was still a solid five star read. Excellent B-Movie style sci-fi horror premise that went on to a fun story with some heart.
Devonta
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Stinger is a very straightforward book that doesn’t leave you guessing in any way. McCammon even tends to go out of his way at points to explain things to you. The characters are given some back story but I found them to be mostly two dimensional. The rivalry between Cody and Rick as the big bad gang leaders felt ridiculous and poorly written. I attribute this to the fact that it was written in the 80′s and not that McCammon is a bad writer, the decade just called out for cheesy rivalries like ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Nov 02, 2016 marked it as couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, kindle, sf-fantasy
While reader a paper book I prefer falling asleep while reading with my kindle (voyage had an inbuild light that switches off after a short while so I am reading 2 books.

The Dark Son and this one. I have been thinking of picking another ebook to read because the town he sketches, the people that he describes are all so depressing and the story began so slow. Is still slow. However the pace did pick up just a little bit and I will give it another try tonight.
I love this author's writing but perha

• Creature
  • Woom
  • Crota
  • The Manitou (Manitou #1)
  • If You Could See Me Now
  • The Hungry Moon
  • The Wise Friend
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • The Nightmare Girl
  • If It Bleeds
  • Floating Staircase
  • The Extinction Agenda (The Extinction Agenda #1)
  • Summer of Night (Seasons of Horror, #1)
  • The Siberian Incident
  • Children of the Night (Seasons of Horror #2)
  • Snow
  • Wendigo Road
  • Gills: A Novel
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. Among his many popular novels were the classics Boy's Life and Swan Song. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

His next novel, a standalone book called The Li