What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)
This topic is about Hidden Talents
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA novel about kids with useless superpowers [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariel (new)

Mariel | 2 comments I read this about 10-15 years ago, it's set in a boarding school (I don't remember if it was middle or high school age) for kids with superpowers, but all the powers are really weak/unhelpful.

The protagonist is a boy who, as soon as he meets someone, knows the most insulting thing he could possibly say to them. At the beginning of the book, he doesn't have his ability under control and just insults everyone he meets, but by the end, he's gotten better at not just saying the first thing that pops into his head, and figures out that if he concentrates, he can also sense the greatest compliment he could give.

I think the plot involves the school being in danger of getting shut down, because at the end, the protagonist has an interview with someone who decides whether the school gets funded, and he knows that he could insult her by making fun of the fact that she couldn't get into (I think) the textbook industry, or he could compliment her beautiful eyes, but instead he decides to not use his powers at all and just explain how much the school has helped him and his friends.

The only other detail that I think I remember, although I could be pulling this from a different book, is that the protagonist's best friend can turn invisible, but only when no one is looking.

message 3: by Mariel (new)

Mariel | 2 comments LauraW wrote: "Hidden Talents???"

Thank you!!! I knew the title was something simple, but I could not come up with it.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
A popular book - it's been requested and found eight times in this group.