Start by marking “Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)

Hidden Talents

(Talents #1)

Martin Anderson and his friends don't like being called losers. But they've been called that for so long even they start to believe it. Until Martin makes an incredible discovery: each of his friends has a special hidden talent.

Edgeview Alternative School was supposed to be end of the road. But for Martin and his friends, it just might be a new beginning.
Published February 6th 2007 by Starscape (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Talents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Talents

Cheryl
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually my second read... when I found out there was a sequel I decided to reread this first and am glad I did. It's a bit earnest, and the hook has been done elsewhere, but I do appreciate Lubar's voice and am not surprised he's popular among his target audience. I think this deserves the awards it's gotten.
Adam Hahn
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that likes ironic books that keep you going till the end, and have surprise endings.
The book Hidden Talents, by David Lubar was a very, very good book. It is about a young boy, about our age, who has gotten kicked out of all of the schools back in his hometown for lipping off to the teachers and somehow always knowing just the right thing to make them feel bad. Now Martin is onto his last resort, Edgeview Alternative School. At this school he pretty much starts to do the same thing. He begins meeting a lot of new friends in the process and eventually finds out that they all ha ...more
Rosa
Krystl Louwagie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gah. Just lost the review I wrote for this.

ANYWAYS, my only complaints about this book was that it was too short (but it's written for a younger audience) and for the length of the book, it took too long to get to the actual meat of the thing. But, I still enjoyed everything along the way.

This book is ridiculously easy to relate to, even if I'm not a pre-teen boy who has hidden talents. This book struck more of a chord with me than most of the adult books I read, emotionally and otherwise. Simpl
Kimberly Ho
This book is very relatable for everyone who has ever felt like they did not fit in somewhere. It is light and easy to read, and Lubar's trademark sarcasm and sense of humor is in every character. The storyline didn't really peak my interest but it was still a fun read nonetheless. Definitely pick up any of Lubar's books if you need a light read.
Nicole Dust
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this about . . . 7 years ago, maybe? I don’t remember exactly when. I read the second book first, then read this one. I remember not being that impressed.

For me, it was nothing special, but I liked being reintroduced to the characters again. :) (Also, it’s clean, so no content to worry about here - except the main character kind of being a jerk. . . .)
Rachel
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
True talents lie in acceptance of personal imperfections.

"Hey, if I could read minds, I'd be thinking about how I could use my power to rule the world," I said.
"You sounds like a cartoon character," Lucky told me.
Flinch nodded. "Martin Mindmaster, Conqueror of the Universe."
Lucky started laughing, "With his faithful sidekick, Zucchini, who can read the minds of vegetables and fruits."
- page 184 of Hidden Talents

Leafing through my worn out pages of a book I read so many times before, I feel the
John Cameron Harrison
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like telekinesis
I read the book Hidden Talents by David Lubar. I liked this book because it has to do with telekinesis, and it is about kids our age. What I disliked about the book was that it was too short and everything happened too quick. I learned from reading this books that Martin Anderson, a boy with a big mouth, is sent from his school to an alternative school called "Edgeview Alternative School". Edgeview is where pretty much the whole setting was. Martin has been expelled from a lot of other schools f ...more
Kate
Martin has just been sent to the Edgeview Alternative School for kids who have gotten expelled from everywhere else. Martin's major problem is that he just can't stop himself from saying really insulting and hurtful things to people. He seems to fit right in with most of the other kids at the school - his roommate Torchie, who burns things but says he didn't; and Cheater, Flinch, Lucky, and Trash. The school bully Bloodbath just sees Martin as a new punching bag. As the weeks go by, Martin start ...more
Courtney
I remember a bit about this one...

The main character [Martin] is frequently getting into trouble for his smart mouth. He just seems to have a natural gift for saying the exact wrong thing at the wrong time, leading him to be on every adult's bad side. Finally, the decision is made to send him away to a reform school, hoping he'll learn something from the experience.

There, he makes friends with an odd cast of characters, including a pyromaniac known causing fires even in the controlled school se
Samuel L
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story about Martin Anderson who goes to edgeview alternative school.Martin had to go to a special school because he was a very bad kid.One thing that I liked about the main character was that he had a special talent.His talent is really cool.Something that bothered me was that there were a lot of bad kids that do bad stuff.People who like to read mystery will like this book because,all of Martins friends have talents.
Hannah
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
When no other school will take you … you end up at Edgeview Alternative. Martin Anderson is one of those boys. All the kids there have been treated like freaks and rejects for so long that they have all started to believe it. But when Martin gets to the school he notices something that no one else seems to see. Some of his new classmates have special abilities. Martin helps them figure out their hidden talents, but how they use them he never could have expected.
The kids in this book have really
Becky Birtha
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I have my local children's librarian to thank for steering me to Hidden Talents-- a story of life at an alternative boarding school for boys of junior-high age who have been kicked out of more traditional schools for their unacceptable behavior, which includes stealing, bullying, setting fires, cheating, and general destructiveness. Martin, the main character, has a habit of verbally insulting teachers in ways they can't forgive. The story is told in much detail, as Martin meets and scornfully j ...more
H.W. Hoyt
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I picked it off the shelf last night and read a few pages to my kids. They didn't pay any attention, but then I went and finished it today. I remember when I randomly picked it up from the library years ago and loved it so much I read twice in a row. It's still one of my very favorite books.
Jarius Walker
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
i understood when the boy was getting bulled and he got annoyed and he told people
Megan Deppe
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The book itself is written in a very interesting way - the snippets of conversations, memos between teachers and admins, and excerpts of letters from other characters give another dimesion to the ones we follow throughout the story. They also do a good job of adding tension, even though some of that tension seems like it won't pay off until the next book (though you wouldn't really know there are more books just based on the ending of this one). I also enjoyed the variety of the characters, not ...more
Kristina Kelly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Hidden Talents", is one of my favorite books of all time. It is about a boy, Martin, that goes to a boarding school for the first time as a last resort because of his behavior. Their he meets a group of friends that are each special in their own way. They each have their own, "hidden talents." This book is filled with humor, friendships, aventures, and more. It was very well written by, David Lubar. He captured all of the personalities of all of the characters very well and added just enough s ...more
Massimo
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This book contained a very good story in it.It mainly contained friendship in it.But there were also conflicts that happened between the friends in this book.Later on in the book one of them is going to find out that his friends have hidden powers,he is going to try to convince them but they won't listen to him.Find out what happens next in the book by reading the book "Hidden Talents", by David Lubar. I recommend this book to people that like stories that talk about the characters finding out t ...more
Connie Walters
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am over 50 and I still enjoyed this book. It is like a Hunger Games for the younger set. It looks like there is a second book in the series which I have to go to the library to check out. About a bunch of delinquents who are sent to a boarding school for troubled kids. One of the boys figures out that his friends have hidden talents and has to convince them first that they have the talent and then how to use the talent for good.
Dawn Taylor
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is proof positive that the publishing companies that give books to classroom teachers at NCTE are not wasting their money. I had never heard of this book before I received this copy and I read A LOT!! It’s a great book for any middle school classroom. High interest concept, fast moving chapters, intriguing characters, with a hint of super powers. I raced through this and can’t wait to share it with my students!
HeidiS.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maria Y. Calderilla
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young boy is sent off to a different school for troublemakers. There he meets a group of boys who unknowingly have psychic powers. Strange things start happening around them and they slowly discover the power they hold within. When the government finds out they attempt to capture and control the young boys' power. Which wasn't as easy as they thought.
Terri Jones
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Young Adult (YA) novel I'd give to any kid or any adult who was a kid like I was - loner, lonely, outcast, etc. If you weren't popular or one of the bullies, you'll probably enjoy how these kids figure things out and manage to carve out improvements despite the many obstacles facing them.

I just learned there's a sequel that takes place a year later; I added it to my to-read list. :)
Allen Beasley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was good.It starts with a fire gives you something hard at the beggening.funny at some parts.read this book is pretty good
Ken Lawrence
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
8th grade summer reading choice. Not bad.
Julieta
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is ideal for young adults. It is awesome!
Kibbenza
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story about a group of boys at an alternative school (the end of the line) who find out there's more to them than meets the eye.
Elena
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really fun to read. I really recommend it!
Maximilian Lee
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rated this book 4.99999999999999999999999999999999999 stars not 5 stars. This book was very strange because each main character had a super un-natural talent like someone who can fly (none of them can). Martin can hurt people with words, Flinch can sense what his opponent is going o do next, Trash can make stuff float, Lucky can find anything and Cheater can read minds.
Yamillet Vega
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Donuthead
  • Power Of Un
  • The Revealers
  • Over the Wall
  • Chance Fortune and the Outlaws
  • Eager
  • R.O.D. Read or Die 3 (R.O.D. Read or Die, #3)
  • The Summer I Got a Life
  • Pish Posh
  • Don't Call Me Ishmael!
  • On the Fringe
  • Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
David Lubar created a sensation with his debut novel, Hidden Talents, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. Thousands of kids and educators across the country have voted Hidden Talents onto over twenty state lists. David is also the author of True Talents, the sequel to Hidden Talents; Flip, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror selection; several short ...more

Talents (2 books)
  • True Talents (Talents, #2)
“A kid might help another kid who fell into a river, and a kid might help another kid search for a lost baseball, but there isn't a kid I've met who will help another kid out of a humiliating situation. We just aren't built that way.” 24 likes
“Have a heartattack!” 6 likes