75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2017 GR Challenge) > Misty's 2017 100 Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I'm going to try and explore new or indie authors as well as some old faves.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2864 comments Way to go Misty! Keep up the good work.

message 7: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Carol wrote: "Way to go Misty! Keep up the good work."

Thanks Carol!! Just finished Hidden Dawn (The Tenants of Earth, Part One) by Elke Silvarain Thought it was pretty good.

message 8: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments It seems I've been reading sad books lately Sarah's Key and Winter Garden

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2864 comments Misty wrote: "It seems I've been reading sad books lately Sarah's Key and Winter Garden"

Oh my gosh... Sarah's Key!

message 10: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Yeah, what was I thinking? I guess I wanted to cry my eyes out.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2864 comments Misty wrote: "Yeah, what was I thinking? I guess I wanted to cry my eyes out."

I didn't really read the book description and didn't realize it was such a tear jerker.

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4115 comments Mod
Off to a great start Misty!!

message 13: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Andrea wrote: "Off to a great start Misty!!"

Thanks so much!!

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I really enjoyed Behind Closed Doors!! It was such a quick read, partly because it's actually not that long, but mostly because the story begs to be read in one sitting.

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Really loved Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt I listened to the audiobook and the preformance is top notch! Definitely recomend it!

Not so much Podkayne of Mars I was really looking forward to this Sci-fi but the author's view of the future sort of just felt like the era it was written (1963) had been plunked onto a colonized Mars. I mean female pilots were rare and they still were expected to be little more than homemakers. Some people may like it but it just wasn't for me!

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Here are a couple books I read last month but forgot to add: Redshirts Loved this story but the cursing was a little out of control for me, to the point where it detracted from the story a bit. I did enjoy the plot. Fun read!

I also read Life Drawing I'm a little torn with this book because the writing is beautiful and thought provoking. The words themselves could even be of masterpiece quality. However, I truly disliked the story itself. It was slow and, dare I say, boring to me. I've never read something where I loved the writing but disliked the story in such a stark, polar opposite manner so it's a little hard to express my feelings for this book.

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7810 comments Mod
CeeCee Honeycutt and Redshirts are in my TBR. Redshirts is narrated by Wil Wheaton! I'm all over that. I think I have a copy of CeeCee Honeycutt somewhere.

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Misty wrote: "Not so much Podkayne of Mars I was really l..."

I was so disappointed in this one, too.

message 19: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Elyse wrote: "CeeCee Honeycutt and Redshirts are in my TBR. Redshirts is narrated by Wil Wheaton! I'm all over that. I think I have a copy of CeeCee Honeycutt somewhere."

Oh man, I wish I would have got the audiobook! I didn't know Will Wheaton narrated it. Also, so sorry for the late reply!

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I haven't had the chance to enter my books read for a while so here are the ones I really liked......

Fahrenheit 451
Zendar: A Tale of Blood and Sand
Station Eleven
Never Let You Go
The Secret Sharer by Robert Silverberg

And here's a couple that were just ok, maybe even a little "meh".....
Leftover Girl
Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Misty wrote: "I haven't had the chance to enter my books read for a while so here are the ones I really liked......

Fahrenheit 451
[book:Station ..."

Love Fahrenheit 451! Station Eleven is in my TBR and I own it.

message 22: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Haven't had a chance to enter my books for a while. I'm still here! Still alive! Lol

Counting the Clouds
Taken Twice
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Ammonite
Ready Player One
The Writers of the Universe
Strands of Sand

And there they are!! My top pick would definitely be READY PLAYER ONE and second would probably be Ammonite but I really liked Mrs. Pollifax as well so it depends on mood.

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Misty wrote: "Haven't had a chance to enter my books for a while. I'm still here! Still alive! Lol

Counting the Clouds
Taken Twice
[boo..."

I just reread Ready Player One. Love it so much. :)

message 24: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Elyse wrote: "Misty wrote: "Haven't had a chance to enter my books for a while. I'm still here! Still alive! Lol

Counting the Clouds
Taken Twice
[book:The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifa..."

I'm so glad!! I could literally die in nerdy happiness!!

message 25: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Misty wrote: "Really loved Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt I listened to the audiobook and the preformance is top notch! Definitely recomend it!

Not so much Podkayne of Mars I was really l..."

LOVED LOVED LOVED Saving CeeCee Honeycutt!!! OMGOSH that was a great book!!!

message 26: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Elyse wrote: "CeeCee Honeycutt and Redshirts are in my TBR. Redshirts is narrated by Wil Wheaton! I'm all over that. I think I have a copy of CeeCee Honeycutt somewhere."

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE CeeCee Elyse. Totally.

message 27: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Misty wrote: "Here are a couple books I read last month but forgot to add: Redshirts Loved this story but the cursing was a little out of control for me, to the point where it detracted from the ..."

I really dislike books where there is gratuitous swearing or violence.

message 28: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Misty wrote: "I haven't had the chance to enter my books read for a while so here are the ones I really liked......

Fahrenheit 451
[book:Station ..."

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all-time favorite reads.
Station Eleven is on my TBR list. It was supposed to be read this year, but got pushed away for something else.
I loved Riding the Bus with My Sister, but I am a total Nonfiction junkienerd. ;-)

message 29: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Misty wrote: "Haven't had a chance to enter my books for a while. I'm still here! Still alive! Lol

Counting the Clouds
Taken Twice
[boo..."

I ADORE Mrs. Pollifax. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Ready Player One is on my TBR list and will get bumped up. :-)

You are reading some awesome books!!!! Go YOU!!!

message 30: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Misty wrote: "Really loved Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt I listened to the audiobook and the preformance is top notch! Definitely recomend it!

Not so much Podkayne of Mars ..."

Yes!! Did Ceecee Honeycutt make you cry? I was bawling happy tears like a baby!!

message 31: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Misty wrote: "Haven't had a chance to enter my books for a while. I'm still here! Still alive! Lol

Counting the Clouds
Taken Twice
[book:The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifa..."

It sounds like we like a TON of the same reading material!!!

message 32: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Misty wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Misty wrote: "Really loved Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt I listened to the audiobook and the preformance is top notch! Definitely recomend it!

Not so much [book:Po..."

I cried and laughed and cried again. SUCH a great read.

message 33: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "I ADORE Mrs. Pollifax. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Ready Player One is on my TBR list and will get bumped up. :-)
..."

Have you guys read any of the Amelia Peabody mysteries by the same author? I loved those even more than the Pollifax books :-) (Also, Ready Player One... LOVED it! Yes, Dawn Michelle. You need to bump it up the list!)

message 34: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 29, 2017 08:40PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments Isn't Amelia Peabody written by Elizabeth Peters? I read the first one in that series and didn't care for it. I have thought about reading the second one, but haven't really gotten around to it.

message 35: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments No, I haven't tried those. Are they a similar concept?

message 36: by Stacie (last edited Jun 30, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Isn't Amelia Peabody written by Elizabeth Peters? I read the first one in that series and didn't care for it. I have thought about reading the second one, but haven't really gotten around to it."

Blargh! Yes- my mistake. I always lump them together in my head because I first did them as audiobooks and the Peters and Gilman books were narrated by the same woman (plus, I listened to the series intermingled so the two are forever tied together in my brain- and this is why I shouldn't comment from my phone- no way to really double check myself before posting :/ ). Sorry you didn't like it! It's always a downer when you spend precious reading time on something that turns out to be a let-down :(

Misty, they are both cozy mysteries with a similar (to me anyway... although Pollifax has a 'sweeter' disposition than Peabody) feel with the way their main characters waded into new experiences with boundless enthusiasm, 'tidying' things up (aka solving mysteries and saving the day) as they went along. The Amelia Peabody books are set in Victorian times (so you've still got an MC taking on a role unexpected for her gender and age) and set mostly in Egypt during the excavation 'seasons' (I love Egyptian history and, fun fact, Elizabeth Peters is one of the pen names of Barbara Mertz, who had a PhD in Egyptology, and published under different names depending on what genre she was writing).

Caveat- my brain sometimes chooses weird associations! But, that said, I really liked the Peabody mysteries (especially the earliest ones).

message 37: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2819 comments HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow the picture of Mrs. Pollifax karate chopping an enemy doesn't bring to mind "sweeter" in my book, though Amelia does have a acidic tongue!!! LOL
We read that for book club and it really wasn't a waste; there were parts that I enjoyed and I still think about reading the second one and I wouldn't do that if I hated it. :-) I just started reading Mrs. Pollifax when I was young [my grandparent's got Reader's Digest Condensed so I started reading here there and then moved on to owning the actual books] and therefore am way more attached to her.
With Amelia, I did love the Egyptology part of it, but I did also spend a lot of the book thinking I was reading the book version of The Mummy. And I loved that movie and the book wasn't holding up. Even though they are not the same. I too have a very weird brain. LOL

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1813 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow the picture of Mrs. Pollifax karate chopping an enemy doesn't bring to mind "sweeter" in my book, though Amelia does have a acidic tongue!!! LOL
We read that for book..."

You haven't encountered her parasol yet, LOL! Although, I am not knocking Mrs. Pollifax (I wouldn't dare, lol)

message 39: by Carol (last edited Jun 30, 2017 11:18PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2864 comments Misty wrote: "Really loved Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt I listened to the audiobook and the preformance is top notch! Definitely recomend it!

Not so much Podkayne of Mars I was really l..."

Am thinking about reading Podkayne. I like old retro books. Think I would like this?

message 40: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments You might. It wasn't really that interesting to me overall but there are a few neat things about it. Even if you give it a try and don't like it, it's a very short read so not much time lost!

message 41: by Misty (last edited Aug 03, 2017 07:35PM) (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I've been doing some beta reading lately so I have some books that aren't quite books yet that I wish I could put down here. :)

But I did just finish three YA books that I really enjoyed. (Probably more than I should have at 36.) Edgewood and Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and Dead Close to Reality (Sandman Academy Book 1) by Jennifer Bull

message 42: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

Misty wrote: "I've been doing some beta reading lately so I have some books that aren't quite books yet that I wish I could put down here. :)

But I did just finish three YA books that I really enjoyed. (Probabl..."

Well, keep a list so you can add them when they get published!

message 43: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Elyse wrote: "Misty wrote: "I've been doing some beta reading lately so I have some books that aren't quite books yet that I wish I could put down here. :)

But I did just finish three YA books that I really enj..."

That makes so much sense!! . . . . . Probably why I didn't think of it . . . . . haha :)

message 44: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

This book was there for me during my full night of insomnia . . . or it was the cause of my full night of insomnia o.0

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2864 comments Misty wrote: "The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

This book was there for me during my full night of insomnia . . . or it was the cause of my full night of insomnia o.0"

Oh Misty! I can't read books like this. Really scary! You must be pretty brave...

message 46: by Misty (new)

message 47: by Misty (new)

message 48: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Why do I let myself read scary books? The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1) by L.M. Montgomery This book was delightful!!! I'll probably read it again after I finish the series.

message 50: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I found a really good indie book that I'd highly recommend to fans of sci-fi/fantasy Cursed Legacy (Aeterna Chronicles #1) by Anna K. Lane

« previous 1