Start by marking “The Winter People” as Want to Read:
The Winter People

The Winter People

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  63,766 ratings  ·  8,741 reviews
West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter.

Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara's farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister. Alice ha
Published February 11th 2014 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Winter People, please sign up.
Anna B I really like this one.

I really like this one.

Even though the plot is formulaic, there's a universal theme that has me under a hypnotic hold. The supernatural and ghost aspect to this story is gripping, but the magnetic pull is the inconsolable grief and deep sorrow of the protagonist who will do anything to "be" with her daughter.

The author is a master at plot pacing. Her ninja-like somersaults from one POV to another is remarkable. She does this so well, that it's like watching a well-edited movie that fades in and out of scenes. (less)
Arwen Mellor No, only in winter when you can feel the cold and snow surrounding you in your safe warm home, an uneasy embrace of security against the creeping horr…moreNo, only in winter when you can feel the cold and snow surrounding you in your safe warm home, an uneasy embrace of security against the creeping horror that may lie without.

Of course it can be read any time.(less)

·  63,766 ratings  ·  8,741 reviews

Start your review of The Winter People
megs_bookrack ((is traveling for turkey))
**4.5-stars**

After my reread of The Winter People, I have decided to stick with my original rating of 4.5-stars, rounded down.

Although I LOVE the majority of this story, there's something about the final few chapters that gets a bit convoluted for me.

I do still think the atmosphere in this is top-notch. Also, I love how McMahon formats her stories. The way she is able to blend historical perspectives with the present; chef's kiss.

I'm super stoked for their 2022-release, The Children on the Hill
Delee
For me the difference between a 4-star book and a 5-star book is usually the ending- and Jennifer McMahon's THE WINTER PEOPLE lost a star in the final pages...but a 4-star read is nothing to complain about. This was a spooooooky, creepy tale that had me flipping the pages regardless of a weeeeeee bit of disappointment with its conclusion.

photo winteruse7_zpsrxmfpfte.jpg

January 29, 1908 West Hall, Vermont:

The Secret Diary of Sara Harrison Shea- The first time I saw a sleeper, I was nine years old. I recognized her at once- He
Debra
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books

West Hall, Vermont is a town where people go missing without explanation. This remote small town has it secrets and wants to keep it that way. The most mysterious secret is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter, Gertie. Skip to the present day where 19 year old Ruthie returns home to find her Mother, Alice, missing. Ruthie, her Mother and her Younger sister, Fawn, have been living in the
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Seriously people..these characters need to read more Stephen King. If they had read "Pet Sematary" they would have known that you just don't mess around trying to bring back the dead.

Granted, Mr. King wasn't around writing in the 1800's that some parts of this book took place.
I liked the older bits of the story more than the present day setting. One reason is because Ruthie really did not come across as realistic to me. I mean damn-a 19 year old girl with a curfew? Several things she did an
MarilynW
The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon (Author), Cassandra Campbell (Narrator), Käthe Mazur (Narrator)

For the first half of the book, I was hooked on the story, gory as it was for both humans and animals. Little West Hall, Vermont seems to be stuck in the past with the town barely changing for the last century. Nineteen year old Ruthie lives with her six year old sister, Fern, and their mother, Alice, in the same old farmhouse that was home to Sara Harrison Shea, long ago. Sara was at the center
Melissa
This is the quintessential Halloween read. It checks all of the required boxes - spooky, atmospheric, dark, eerie and full of old legends.

West Hall, Vermont is a little town with big history. There's no doubt in my mind, I would have hightailed it out of there; forget about uncovering the truth. I've watched way too many horror movies to be nosing around the woods or some creepy town looking for answers.

There’s a local legend surrounding a rock formation, a desolate farmhouse and a woman that w
Gabby
First 5 star book of 2021!!!
I loved this book so much, I'm obsessed. This book has MAJOR Pet Semetary vibes, dare I say I even enjoyed this book more than Pet Semetary. This book has two timelines, one in 1908 and one in the present day. We are following characters who are in this small town where people are going missing and there's no reason for it, the small town suspects something strange is happening, like alien abduction, they don't know what it is but they can't explain it.

I LOVED THIS B
Virginie Roy
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, fantastique
Wow! This was gripping!

I had no idea it would be such a suspenseful read. I had so much fun binge-reading it! I was drawn in from the first page. I kept trying to figure out how everything and everyone would be connected. The plot was more complex than I was expecting! It was the perfect mix of mystery and supernatural and the eerie winter atmosphere was perfectly described.

I absolutely loved The Drowning Kind, so I knew I had to read The Winter People sooner than later. I got a copy from the li
Julie
The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon is a 2014 Doubleday publication.

It’s that time of year when I find myself in the mood for a creepy tale of horror. Normally, I pull out an old favorite, like Peter Straub’s ‘Ghost Story’ or perhaps something by Poe, but this year I went in search of something new, or at least new to me.

This book grabbed my attention because it did not appear to fit into the typical ‘slasher’ style horror trope, and seemed to promise me a chilling, atmospheric tale that did
Patrice Hoffman
Every once in a while you're just in the mood for a good ghost story. A story that involves a small town desperately trying to keep its secrets, myths, and folklore hidden. These type of stories are always set in remote areas where they breed new life with every passing generation. These myths become fantastical whereas aspects of the truth are distorted to make an even more engrossing tale of why there are "sleepers" roaming the forrests.

The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon is gripping novel a
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Talk about CREEP FACTOR. This book was super spooky. Had a hard time putting it down. Highly recommend!
Ami
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm torn about rating this book. I absolutely blew through it--from start to finish in just about a day--both because the narrative is propulsive but also because I wanted to know what was going to happen.

The book is very wonderfully a small-town ghost story, told from multiple points of view from two different eras. You know what sort of monsters you're dealing with almost immediately: "sleepers," or people who have been recalled from the dead by people who miss them. If you are drawing parall
Michael David (on hiatus)
I’m sure we all have a deceased family member or friend who we’d give anything to spend more time with. Sara Harrison Shea did, back when her young daughter, Gertie, died in 1908. It’s tragic that Sara was found dead right behind her house just a few months later.

In the present, 19-year old Ruthie lives with her mom and younger sister...in the house where Sara lived. One morning, Ruthie wakes up to find her mom gone. Vanished. No clues to her whereabouts. When Ruthie and her sister come across
Norma
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 shivering stars! Well that was one heck of a spooky good read!

Why I wanted to read this one……I have read quite a few JENNIFER MCMAHON novels and although it has been a little while since I have read one I do remember really enjoying them so when I found this novel while perusing Overdrive I quickly borrowed it. What initially attracted me to this book was that beautiful cover and I found the title very intriguing as well which definitely enticed me to pick this one up!

Thoughts & what it's all
Lisa
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
This is going to be so hard for me to rate. I was really engrossed for much of the story and I was sure I had a solid four-star book in my hands. There were even some five-star worthy scenes. But then it started dipping dangerously into that two-star area... For the most part it was a good, solid, read, but there were just some things I didn't like. At times I wished that the author had gone a different direction and there were two characters in particular that didn't ring true to me when all wa ...more
Beverly
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 - One aspect of the ending was a tiny letdown, but overall I ADORED this. So unique and unsettling. I'll have a spoiler free video review up next week :) ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.5 Stars - Delightfully Creepy
This story is a perfect read for a cold, stormy winter night. While milder than more serious horror, McMahon weaves together a subtly disturbing story. The atmosphere was so well done.

This story itself is told over two different timelines: the early 1900s and the present. Personally, I preferred the reading the storyline in the past, finding it so much more intriguing than the modern mystery. If the entire story was had taken place in the past, I likely would have
Larry
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Two stories, happening about 100 years apart, told in parallel - and that’s not all they have in common. A good ghost story - won’t scare you, subtle chills - overall well written, I thought.
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3.5 stars.

Atmospheric. Suspenseful. Eerie.

After reading and loving this authors latest release, The Drowning Kind, I immediately wanted to get my hands on her backlist. This was a unique and engrossing story with a large supernatural aspect.

Supernatural is a hit or miss for me. This author has such a magical way with words, that her supernatural elements totally work for me. I can clearly envision her characters, atmosphere and storyline even with the ghost-y aspects.

This book was told through
Diane S ☔
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautiful cover, enticing title especially with the winter we are having. Hooked me from the very beginning, two young girls, Ruth and Fern, wonderful inquisitive characters, really wanted to find out what happened. Built of suspense, a little creepiness, exactly what is going on in this town and where has their mother gone? What about the dreams Ruth keeps having, what are they supposed to mean? Really wanted to know, kept reading and then plunk. Even in a book about the impossible, or so I hop ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
West Hall, Vermont 1908. Sara Harrison Shea is found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter. She has been acted weirdly since then and her death is horrifying.

In the present day is nineteen-year-old Ruthie living in Sara's old farmhouse with her mother Alice and her younger sister. They have always lived a very simple life, farming what they need staying away from the modern world as much as possible. When Alice comes home late one night can she s
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Note: this review was changed from 2016.

This novel was my first time reading Jennifer McMahon and the book that started it all. I originally gave this a 4 star review but have modified it to 5 on account of the fact that I haven’t stopped thinking about it even now, 2 years later, and recommending it to everyone.

This book was freaky AF and I don’t recommend reading it in the dark.... and especially not alone in the dark. I loved THE WINTER PEOPLE and if you like books that have a
Trish
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book by this author and once again it is a mystery thriller / ghost story. For those interested in a direct comparison, *here* is my review for the other book. However, I have to admit that this one was creepier for me.

Just like in the first book, we get different timelines that spiral towards one another, circling closer and closer until we get to the center of it all, the resolution.

The core of this story is a small town in Vermont where there have been numerous weird deaths
Melki
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Tell me, Auntie, please," I begged, "can the dead come back?"

I had a snow day off from work a few weeks ago, and I spent the entire day reading this novel. It's one of those books that had me completely mesmerized at the time, but now that many days have past, I keep wondering . . . was it really that good, or was the wintry, chilling atmosphere helped along by the fact that there were inches of white stuff piling up against my door as I read?

It was when she was on her way back out of the clear
PfromJ
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Silly me. I believed all the hype and was expecting a real chiller of a ghost story. What I got was an inane tale rife with clueless characters. Knuckleheads who opt to take a 5-hour drive to check out a completely iffy lead instead of doing a simple Google search. Who lack all common sense (Uh oh, these papers need to be destroyed or they could alter the fate of all mankind. Let’s keep them in one piece and toss them into this old dry well.) Stephen King already wrote the definitive piece on th ...more
Zoeytron
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Deep in the Vermont woods in West Hall, one can find the Devil's Hand, a conglomeration of rocks that resemble the fingers on a very large hand. Nearby, there is an orchard that produces bitter malformed fruit. In West Hall, there are a lot of ghost stories and legends, albeit with very few solid facts to back up the frightening tales of children gone missing.

This is a fine ghost story, deftly weaving mysterious happenings between 1908 and present day. With a focus on the power the dead have ov
Sadie Hartmann
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Winter People is one of the scariest books I have read in a long, long time. Many times I could feel my heart racing and my mouth dropping open. It feels good to read a book that sucks you in and keeps you there until you finish. I checked this out at the library on a Thursday afternoon and here it is Saturday night and I'm done. I'll be passing it off to my mom. Kinda thankful it will be out of my house! Seriously, this story is dark one. ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“There are worse things than death. Far worse.”

I decided to check out The Winter People last week when it was freeeeeeeeeezing outside. Of course, by the time I got around to reading it the temps were more like Spring because why have one season when you can have them all in the same week?

The story here is set in West Hall, Vermont – or, more specifically, a location known as “Devil’s Hand” – apparently named as such due to a rock
MaryannC. Book Freak
A totally awesome and creepy book! My book light bit the dust one night and I read some of this by small flashlight and let me tell you it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I am not usually a horror fan, but this was pretty damn good!
Play Book Tag: Winter People by Jennifer McMahon - 3 stars 1 9 Nov 03, 2022 01:37PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 18 Apr 01, 2019 01:16PM

• The Book of Accidents
  • Rock Paper Scissors
  • Things We Do in the Dark
See top shelves…
I'm the author of nine suspense novels, including Promise Not to Telll, The Winter People, and my newest, The Drowning Kind. I live in central Vermont with my partner and daughter, in an old Victorian that some neighbors call The Addams Family house. ...more

Articles featuring this book

Genres can be defined by what's waiting around the corner. In a romance book, it's happily ever after; in a mystery novel, it's the...
“If snow melts down to water, does it still remember being snow?” 57 likes
“Madness is always a wonderful excuse, don’t you think? For doing terrible things to other people.” 37 likes