Start by marking “Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)

Emily of New Moon

(Emily #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  43,315 ratings  ·  1,865 reviews
Emily Starr never knew what it was to be lonely--until her beloved father died. Now Emily's an orphan, and her mother's snobbish relatives are taking her to live with them at New Moon Farm. She's sure she won't be happy. Emily deals with stiff, stern Aunt Elizabeth and her malicious classmates by holding her head high and using her quick wit. Things begin to change when sh ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published April 1st 1983 by Dell Laurel-Leaf (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Emily of New Moon, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Yes. And I speak as a person who married at 20 to a man who was 37. We're still married happily, 36 years later. But he is waaaay to possessive of her…moreYes. And I speak as a person who married at 20 to a man who was 37. We're still married happily, 36 years later. But he is waaaay to possessive of her from the git-go. All that stuff about how "I saved your life so now your life is mine" just raised my hackles. There were men like that in those days--still are; but that doesn't make it a good choice in a YA novel of that time, or this time, for that matter.(less)
Csilla http://www.feedbooks.com/author/547
L.M. Montgomery died more than 7o years ago, so the rights to her books are expired. (in other words: legally free ebooks)(less)

·  43,315 ratings  ·  1,865 reviews

Start your review of Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Emily of New Moon (Emily of New Moon #1), L.M. Montgomery

Emily of New Moon is the first in a series of novels by Lucy Maud Montgomery about an orphan girl growing up in Canada. It was first published in 1923.

The Emily novels depicted life through the eyes of a young orphan girl, Emily Starr, who is raised by her relatives after her father dies of tuberculosis. Montgomery considered Emily to be a character much closer to her own personality than Anne, and some of the events which occur in the Em
Wendy Darling
Re-reading for our discussion on Friday, May 27th! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Anne fans, I INSIST that you try Emily at some point.

[image error]

-----------------------------------

I love the Emily books so much. Her passion and her dreams, along with her dignity, were expressed in a way that really appealed to me when I read them as an impressionable teenager. The formative years of every girl's life are filled with wild hopes and worries and exhilaration, and as an adult, I re-read
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oh how I wish this was written in our time because this would be so, so gay. Emily and Ilse belong together and we all know Nancy and Caroline are a thing. What a heckin shame.
Also, CATS.
That's it. That's the review.
Duane
Emily of New Moon is right up there with Anne of Green Gables. Emily Byrd Starr is another timeless and unforgettable character from the mind of L.M. Montgomery.
She's more serious and complex than Anne but just as stubborn and just as lovable. Written for teens and young adults, but anyone can enjoy this wonderful classic.
Helene Jeppesen
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, this book ressembles "Anne of Green Gables" a lot. It speaks of a young girl who admires the world's beauty while growing up amongst family and friends. However, "Emily of New Moon" touched me a lot more. There was something about Emily and her personality that appealed to me a lot. The same goes for her struggles which, in my opinion, were really cruel and harsh and made me care for her even more.
I also really liked the fact that Emily actually grows up in this book and goes out
Manybooks
Even more so than L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series, her Emily of New Moon trilogy novels (Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs and Emily's Quest) have always been absolutely and utterly personal favourites, and mostly so because while I have definitely and certainly enjoyed reading about Anne Shirley, her bubbly extrovertedness is not and can never be even remotely as close to me and to my own rather internal and quiet personality as equally imaginative and dreamy as Anne Shirley but als ...more
Rachel Aranda
My heart overflows with love for this book. I completely understand the love and admiration so many people have for the characters and author of this series!

I read “Jane of Lantern Hill” back in April and May of this year. I really enjoyed it and became determined to read more by Mrs. Montgomery. It was a little ridiculous how long it took me to choose between all the book options available. (Color me impressed that she wrote so many novels throughout her life.) Being in a reading funk didn’t he
Katharine
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit, 2010
Emily of New Moon has a much darker quality than the Anne of Green Gables series – and Emily as a character is not nearly as likable or sweet as Anne. But she seems real. Although LMM tends to stylize/idealize her heroines a little, you can sense the three-dimensional quality of Emily's personality from the first chapter. Anne is 3D too, of course, but Anne's character tends to emerge little by little, whereas Emily dominates her story right from the start. And there's plenty of attention to ...more
June Geiger
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Maud's Betsy-Tacy series had its Emily, bless our souls, Lucy Maud had hers. And I say "bless our souls" in the most literal sense, because time spent with either Emily can feed an inner flame reduced to the faintest flicker by heartbreak, doubt and despair. But please--Emily Byrd Starr is no shrinking violet. Here we have a fierce, free-spirited young iconoclast who, even more than Anne with an "e", has a thing or two to teach any adult with enough sense (and imagination) to listen.
Rikke
Emily. My dearest Emily; my childhood friend and childhood idol, my inspiration and my consolation. There are books so special, read in such a tender age, that they become part of you. I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it wasn't for Emily Byrd Starr.

It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside-- but sometimes, just for a
Megan Baxter
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
With this review, we're revisiting another one of my old favourite, my comfort reads, the books I can still pick up and read with a great deal of pleasure, almost as much as when I was curled up in my bed as a girl, discovering this world for the first time. Which is all to say that this review is naturally heavily coloured by all of who I was and who I am now, and how this book has fit into my personal mythology for many, many years.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the ch
Elinor  Loredan
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
It's interesting, because I think I'd be a little afraid to meet Emily because of the scrutiny with which she approaches people-although I do that myself!

I love her spunk, though. When she hid under the table to listen to the family conclave and was retorting furiously to them in her mind, I immediately thought, "I like this girl!" I also feel like I relate more to Emily than to Anne. Emily is more brooding and withdrawn like me, whereas Anne is someone I wish I was like.

Delight and magic are fo
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was little, my mom passed on to me and my sister all of her glorious, hard-back books from her childhood. Louisa May Alcott, Gay Melody (look it up), and, her favorites, The Anne books. She told us how her father, the quiet newspaper editor, took her to the library and insisted she had to read about Anne Shirley. Something about the book jacket made Mom sneer, but her dad insisted, so she read it. As we all know had to happen, Mom fell in love. And when her daughters were old enough, she ...more
Farah Shamma
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet tale about Emily, a young orphaned girl, who lives with her relatives in New Moon and long the way finds family, friendships, and home.

I liked this book well enough. It had its moments, but I couldn't help comparing it to Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorite books. There were many similarities between the two books: orphaned girl with spunk, stern Aunt, clumsy mishaps, writing and poetry, the works.

That said, this book did surprise me at times (Dean Priest!) and it certain
Amy
Oct 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I spent most of the book wondering why this one wasn't as popular as Anne of Green Gables and then reached that awful, maudlin ending and realized why. It is definitely a product of its time and unfortunately, that doesn't give it a lot of scope to work with.
Emily makes an interesting foil for Anne--both are unwanted orphans raised unwillingly by a set of siblings. But Emily is more reserved than Anne. She seems to take herself a bit more seriously and not go on such flights of fancy.
The story
Celeste
It took a while for this book to grow on me. I’ve always loved Anne of Green Gables, and I know that for some readers the Emily books are even better. I think that might depend on which heroine you meet first because, while I grew to appreciate Emily Byrd Starr, she’ll never usurp Anne Shirley in my heart.
“To love is easy and therefore common - but to understand - how rare it is!”

Somehow Emily’s story manages to be both easier and less idyllic than that of Anne. Emily gets to experience the com
Rebecca
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside - but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse - and heard a note of unearthly music."

*relates*

Rachel
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish viciously that I'd read this as a child, because goodness, there is so much here that brought back what it felt like to be enraptured by words, and thinking that putting them together was the single best thing I could do with my life. How wonderful Emily is. Extraordinary. Big sigh.
kris
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
[Also read: ~2006/07]

After Emily Byrd Starr is orphaned, her Aunts Elizabeth and Laura take her to live with them at New Moon—and soon Emily finds herself quite at home at the proud farmstead. She founds the local underaged artist's guild, writes and writes and writes, and grows into her legacy.

1. For a book allegedly for children, this review is going to have a lot of swearing in it [trigger warning for fucking goddamned child predators]:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DEAN PRIEST IS A FUCKING PEDOPHILE A
Mel Campbell
I recently decided to reread this – one of my childhood favourites – because I am sick of people banging on about Anne of Green Gables when Emily was always my favourite Montgomery heroine. I told my mother I was rereading it and her face absolutely lit up, because Emily was her favourite too, and the copy we both read had belonged to my mother's mother.

The early chapters I found viscerally moving. I was reading in the window at Mario's and found myself snuffling away tears at Emily's loss o
Kathryn
Nov 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This series is so dear to me! I cannot describe how much it meant to me, what a gorious friend I found in Emily, and how her journey to become a writer and a woman fit so well with my own heart and aspirations. I hope to visit these beautiful books again; Emily will be a kindred spirit for life!
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
4 Stars
Great story, filled with some terrible, potentially triggering, adults. The teacher, Miss Brownell is a sadistic monster, the local doctor is a misogynist who treats his daughter like an unwanted stray cat, Emily's aunt Elizabeth is cruel and unjust and don't get me started on Teddy's weirdo mother. Which is one of the reasons this story is so compelling; unfortunately, many of us knew adults like this when we were children. As this book points out, there is one system of justice for adul
Michaela
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is just... perfect. *sigh* I absolutely loved it! It was so good! Anne of Green Gables is a masterpiece; however, I can't compare it with Emily of New Moon. There is a certain different aspect with Emily. Anne is simply Anne (although there is nothing 'simple' about her), and Emily is particularly Emily. Anyway, I highly recommend this book! It is SO WONDERFUL! :)
Patra
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One thing my husband and I enjoy doing is reading a book out loud together. We take turns choosing one of our favorite books, which the other person hasn't read, and we read it together. There's no surprise here that he hadn't read Emily of New Moon because it definitely looks like a girly book, but I think the first in this series by L.M. Montgomery is a classic, so we read it together. I don't highly recommend the sequels to this book. It seems the author just felt some responsibility to expla ...more
Misty Mount
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story! I really savored this one. As a child I read the Anne series but somehow I missed this little gem which is just the same sort of warm and fuzzy goodness! They don't make stories like this anymore.
Subashini
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An eternal favourite.
Rebecca McNutt
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While it certainly wasn't Anne of Green Gables, this book, featuring a slightly similar character, is nearly as fun and well-written. Emily's adventures, day-to-day life and friendships are intriguing and easy to follow along with. I think my favorite character though was Ilse, she really added a feeling of rebellion and excitement to much of the novel.
Morgan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This might be an unpopular opinion but very tempted to say that Emily is my favorite Montgomery heroine.
Kavita
Nov 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: canada, children
I wanted to read something light and decided on the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery. I had recently read her Anne of Green Gables series for the first time ever and enjoyed it (at least the first few books). I had hoped this would be in the same vein. On the surface, both Anne and Emily seem to have similar lives. They are orphans, living with strict guardians who eventually develop a soft soft for them. But as heroines, they are so different!

Emily's father dies and she is then taken by the prou
Jessica
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it

This morning I noticed Mel Campbell's review of the book come up in my newsfeed, and my first reaction was a sharp intake of breath--a kind of preemptive wince born of the idea that anyone might, in any way, not love Emily wholeheartedly, or love her the way that I do. Clearly Emily's passionate loves and jealousies were something I was drawn to as a child!

As an adult, I enjoy the latter Emily books more--Emily is less dreamy, more pragmatic, though still drawn to making disastrously bad decisio

• Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1)
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • Freckles (Limberlost, #1)
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Jo's Boys
  • What Katy Did
  • Typowy kot. Czyli jak wytrzymać z ludźmi
  • The Secret Garden
  • Little Men
  • Lockdown
  • A Little Princess
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Heidi (Heidi, #1-2)
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

Emily (3 books)
  • Emily Climbs (Emily, #2)
  • Emily's Quest (Emily, #3)