The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Mercy Thompson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,660 (1660 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:24PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Mercy Thompson

Team Members:
♦ Laura Pye (Captain)
♦ Lulu (Co-captain)
♦ Alissa
♦ Anna
♦ Avni Aghi
♦ Brittany Gass
♦ Kushmi

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:46PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Laura (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Laura ◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈
O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip or Reverse, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

IMPORTANT
Books must be more than 100 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words using arbookfind.com

Note
For book titles starting with an article (A/An/The), the article can be ignored or used. So The Hiding Place, for example, could be used as title starting with T or H

message 6: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:03PM) (new)

Laura Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this
COUNTDOWN

Main cities, FYI:
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

IMPORTANT STUFF-
~All books must be more than 100 pages in length
~Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" with a read date during the challenge for them to count.
~Please post in the discussion thread how your book fits for different cards.
~Series numbers used are 1 to 9, and stand alone books counts as 0.
~ Letters used in UNO are Z, O, T, H, F, I, V, E, S, N, K, and P.
~You can use title, author name, character name, or place for the letters.
~ Also check if another team member has read the book or if you have already read a book someone else is reading.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura r

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura r

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jan 22, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

Laura Hi everyone I can't wait to "meet" you all! I'm Laura and UNO is one of my favorite team challenges! A little about me: I 'm from Nova Scotia, Canada; I love to hike, bowl and read. I read just about anything but my favorite genres are mystery, YA and historical fiction. I am currently reading Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25) by Laurell K. Hamilton by Laurell K. Hamilton. The new team names are very cool! I have yet to read a Mercy Thompson book! I guess since its our team name I may have to try one!

Teammates please link up your UNO shelf when you check in.
My uno shelf is: UNO2017

The planning spreadsheet will be available to everyone on the team. It allows us to keep track of our books and all options to fit the cards for the month of February. Please send a PM with your email address for access.

Friends requests will be sent out to all (it makes it easier to access your UNO shelf)

I hope everyone enjoys UNO!

message 10: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Hi Everyone!

I’m Lulu and I will be your co-captain this year. This is my second year in this challenge and I am super excited.

I have not read a Mercy Thompson book yet either but will probably at some point this challenge.

My uno shelf is: 2017 UNO Challenge

I’m looking forward to reading with all of you and I hope everyone has a great challenge : )

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks Lulu, I'll link up your shelf tonight. I guess everyone is still asleep or maybe just haven't found their way here yet! See you all soon!

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments Hi my name is anna I am from Baton Rouge Louisiana I love to read I love friends the TV show I'm a big animal larger and my baby is Oscar in my bassett hound qquestion how many books a month supposed to put on my shelf I wasn't aware that I needed a shelf in the shower

message 13: by Avni (last edited Jan 23, 2017 07:57AM) (new)

Avni (avniaghi) | 162 comments Hi everyone! My name is Avni. I am from India, Asia. I joined the group just a month back and this is the first challenge I am taking part in. I too haven't read any Mercy Thompson book yet so maybe i'll give it a try.
I pretty much read romance only (all kinds like fantasy, historical etc). But there are some non romance books which I love like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones (who doesn't love these two!?)
I am very excited for this challenge!
My UNO shelf is: uno2017

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments I don't know how everyone just have a short name for their initial I think I did this right in this is my initial Q there are no books on it
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list....

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Avni and Anna! Welcome!

Anna, your link isn't quite to your UNO shelf but I see it so I'll link it tonight after work! Thanks!
Who is super excited to start??

message 16: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 02:43PM) (new)

Laura Avni can you please send Lulu and I friend requests? It makes checking your shelf easier and makes it easier for us to check if a book works for that reverse card!

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments Thank you so I'm good do I need to do anything else for me to know the shelf?

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Anna wrote: "Thank you so I'm good do I need to do anything else for me to know the shelf?"

Nope nothing else for now! Once we actually start the challenge and you finish your books then Lulu and I will ask that you "tag" the book(s)to your UNO shelf so we can add the book to the spreadsheet.

Anna approximately how many books a month do you think you will read?

message 19: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Laura Just a quick reminder,
message 1 contains our spreadsheet, message 4 contains our shelves ( Avni I can't link yours until you accept my friend request), message 5 has the cards and message 6 is our countdown.

message 20: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

Laura FEBRUARY CARDS

card frequency
0 -------- 4
1 -------- 8
2 -------- 7
3 --------- 7
4 --------- 7
5 ----------6
6 --------- 8
7---------- 7
8--------- 8
9--------- 6
skip ------ 5
reverse---4
wild------ 4
wild 4----3

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura How about some "getting to know you " questions while we wait for UNO to start?

What was your favorite book you read last year?
What is your favorite series?
What is your favorite book of 2017 so far?

* feel free to add your own questions

message 22: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments *just stopping by to wave to Laura*

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 324 comments Hi!!! Really excited to play in this challenge. My shelf is https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 458 comments Hey Everyone,
Sorry I just saw the messages about the teams being announced. I have been sick the past few days so anyway I will tell you guys a little bit about me. My name is Brittany. I live in Arizona in the US. This is the third time for me to play UNO. It is hands down my favorite challenge out there. I read constantly and just about anything that I come across. I am in an historical fiction groove right now but I read and do reviews for many different genres. I am looking forward to this years challenge.

Here is my link for this years challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/17220487-brittany?shelf=uno-2017-read

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura Yeah Alissa and Brittany! Welcome.
I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Brittany! Feel better soon.
Alissa nice to *see* you again! I'm off to bed so I'll link up your shelves tomorrow evening after my bowling league! Goodnight all.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments " jumps up and down" wave to me wave to me :-)

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments I'm shooting for one a week I thought that's what we were supposed to read you mean how many books altogether or in this challenge? I generally read a couple at a time it takes me longer to finish than that way

message 28: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Anna wrote: "I'm shooting for one a week I thought that's what we were supposed to read you mean how many books altogether or in this challenge? I generally read a couple at a time it takes me longer to finish ..."

I think she just wanted to know your average for each month. So if you are one a week and 4 for each month that is fine. Do you remember what number you said on the sign up sheet?
I tend to read a few at a time too : )

message 29: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Hi everyone!!

I think the getting to know you questions are a great way for us to get started.

My favorite book last year was A Court of Mist and Fury

Favorite series is a little harder to answer. I read many different series in a few genres. I will say that I do like the Lunar Chronicles.

I do not have a favorite book of 2017 yet.

**Adding a question**

Do you have a favorite book or one that you just really like that was or will be made into a movie?

I love Pride and Prejudice so I have seen a bunch of those adaptations.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Good morning teammates!
Hope you all have a great day reading, unfortunately I'm doing that "work" thing. Anna hi!! *waves wildly to get her attention*
Enjoy your day everyone, I'll be back later tonight.

message 31: by Avni (new)

Avni (avniaghi) | 162 comments Laura wrote: "Just a quick reminder,
message 1 contains our spreadsheet, message 4 contains our shelves ( Avni I can't link yours until you accept my friend request), message 5 has the cards and message 6 is our countdown. "

Hey Laura. Sorry for taking so long. I just opened my account. I have accepted your request. :)

message 32: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments I read the giver and I thought that movie was a good adaptation to the book I also thought that the first divergent what the good adaptation I too like the fifth wave and thought it was a good book to movie

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura Avni wrote: "Laura wrote: "Just a quick reminder,
message 1 contains our spreadsheet, message 4 contains our shelves ( Avni I can't link yours until you accept my friend request), message 5 has the cards and m..."

Thanks Avni, it didn't take long at all.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura HI everyone, its a yucky day here, its raining and supposed to turn to freezing rain.

I'm going to read since my bowling league was cancelled!
Your UNO shelves are all linked up, now we wait for Kushmi to show up and for the challenge to start!!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Lulu wrote: "Hi everyone!!

I think the getting to know you questions are a great way for us to get started.

My favorite book last year was A Court of Mist and Fury

Favorite series is a littl..."

I like them too! And it passes the time away while we wait and lets us get to know our awesome teammates!

I am waiting patiently to read A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) by Sarah J. Maas . I'm glad to hear it was a favorite Lulu!

My favorite series, oh that is difficult I don't have just one. I 'm a big fan of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, Fatal series by Marie Force, In Death series by J. D Robb, Longmire series by Craig Johnson and I recently found the Kizzie Baldwin series by Sable Jordan.

I also don't have a favorite book for 2017 yet

My favorite book of 2016 is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah or It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins & Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth were both very good and the movies were terrific!

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura More questions! Are you all ready?
Favorite TV show?
Dogs or cats?
Worst book that you read in 2016?
Did you make a New Years resolution?

message 37: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 324 comments Ok I'll answer the first set of questions I have to do way more thinking for the second set of questions

my favorite book last year was the Martian.

so far this year voyager but that's only because it's the only serious book I've read (still reading) so far hopefully they keep getting better!!

I read to many series to have just one favorite so I'll just name a few Susan Mallery's Fools Gold series for romance, Harry Potter children's books, The Hunger Games for YA, Outlander for historical fiction and I'll stop there.

I'm interested to try the series for our teams namesake.

I think the Martian also made a pretty good movie. I would also like to see Ready Player One become a movie.

I think I got them all. Also excited that I have Laura as my captain for another challenge. She is awesome!!!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks for playing along Alissa. I thought the 2nd set were easier.... I'm going to have to think up some good ones for the next set! lol ( or let someone else ask the questions)
*blushes from Alissa's kind words* It was lots of fun. Happy to have you along for the UNO ride!! Did anyone else play Wobble? (Alissa and I were on the same team)

message 39: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments I have not played Wobble.

More answers to getting to know you questions!

Favorite TV show is a hard one. There is so much TV out there now. Grey's Anatomy is on my list of favorites though.

Definitely Cats

Worst book of 2016 for me would be Sing or Imprudence

No New Years Resolutions for me.

**Adding a Question**

Has anyone started picking books for the challenge?

I started and added a few to the Planning Spreadsheet

Have a good night everyone :)

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura Lulu wrote: "I have not played Wobble.

More answers to getting to know you questions!

Favorite TV show is a hard one. There is so much TV out there now. Grey's Anatomy is on my list of favorites though.

Defi..."

I used to love Grey's Anatomy! My favorite show now is The Walking Dead. I can't wait until the mid season break is over.

Definitely dogs! I have a 8month Lab/collie mix. My cat passed away on Thanksgiving.

No New Year's Resolutions for me either.
My dog needs out for a walk so I 'll come back and add my worst book for 2016 later.

Yes , my books are on the planning spreadsheet ( or a start anyway)

message 41: by Laura (last edited Jan 25, 2017 04:15PM) (new)

Laura Hello everyone,
I'm ready for round 2, a little invigorated after my walk with my pup! Earlier I posted a link to our planning spreadsheet and Lulu also posted a link to it last night. The planning spreadsheet lets us organize the books we are going to read with all the options that might work for each card. ( it also helps us easily switch cards around at the end of the month if need be)

Here are the books I 'm "planning" to read once UNO officially starts. I am a moody reader so hopefully I stick with these if not I will definitely find something else

Maid for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #1) by Marie Force
1-1st in series
4- author -Marie Force

Too Late by Colleen Hoover
0-standalone
2-title
3-author's surname -Hoover
6-character's name-Sloan

Rise of Memphis December Chronicles (Rebel and a Saint Book 12) by Kitty Kendall
skip-author's name-Kitty

I'm sure there will be more options for each of my books as I read them so I 'll add the other options as I read. I'll add more books to the planning spreadsheet as the challenge starts and I finish these.

* I took the 4th book of the planning spreadsheet as its an ARC that I want to finish this weekend. I will replace it with something else.

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments OK now I get how we can fix bugs out

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Anna wrote: "OK now I get how we can fix bugs out"

Yes, if anyone has any questions sbout the challenge feel free to ask, Lulu and I both have played before. We will do our best to try to answer them

message 44: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 324 comments Second round answers
Worst book goes to interview with a vampire I think it was partly because I expected it to be so great and it just wasn't

Like series I have to many shows to have just one favorite. Both Grey's and The Walking Dead (TWD) are on the list a new show that is really good is Timeless Outlander, Scandal, and This is Us also make the list

I don't have any pets if I did it would be a dog.

I didn't make a resolution.

Now I have homework this weekend to figure out what to read. :))

message 45: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 458 comments Laura wrote: "How about some "getting to know you " questions while we wait for UNO to start?

What was your favorite book you read last year?
What is your favorite series?
What is your favorite book of 2017 ..."

Here are some answers to the getting to know you questions.
I don't really have a favorite book because I read so many books. However, my favorite series is hands down the Goddess summoning series by P.C. Cast. I hardly ever read series more than once but I have read the whole thing through several times.
I will also be honest there is no way for me to plan what books I will read because I read so many and receive more daily. However, the way I usually handle this challenge is after I finish a book, I will list the manys it fits in the cards. It will be up to you guys to place them where you want them.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura Good morning teammates far and near!
Brittany that is ok if you post as you finish and list your options for each book. ( I've already admitted I'm a moody reader and don't like planning out my books. hehe)
Have a great day everyone!

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments I'm kind of the same way I can't find Vance when I'm going to run in trying it for this chilling with my pick out all my books I'll figure out how to post them if I can haha

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 178 comments How many times are we going to get each car over the course of the game

message 49: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Anna wrote: "How many times are we going to get each car over the course of the game"

Laura posted the cards for Feb in message 20 and I put it in this message just for reference.

I would say it will probably be random. We aren't assigning cards so it will mostly depend on what you read.
My suggestion would be to pay attention to the frequency of the cards every month. That way you know which cards there a more of.

Hope this helps

card frequency
0 -------- 4
1 -------- 8
2 -------- 7
3 --------- 7
4 --------- 7
5 ----------6
6 --------- 8
7---------- 7
8--------- 8
9--------- 6
skip ------ 5
reverse---4
wild------ 4
wild 4----3

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi everyone! What are you all currently reading?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34