YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
This topic is about Carve the Mark
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark #1) by Veronica Roth - Restarting September 3rd 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 236 (236 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
On a planet where violence and vengeance rule, in a galaxy where some are favored by fate, everyone develops a currentgift, a unique power meant to shape the future. While most benefit from their currentgifts, Akos and Cyra do not—their gifts make them vulnerable to others’ control. Can they reclaim their gifts, their fates, and their lives, and reset the balance of power in this world?

Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power—something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.

Akos is from the peace-loving nation of Thuvhe, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Though protected by his unusual currentgift, once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get his brother out alive—no matter what the cost. When Akos is thrust into Cyra’s world, the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. They must decide to help each other to survive—or to destroy one another.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Yay, I loved Divergent, this sounds very different and probably completely out of my comfort zone so we shall see...

message 3: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments Jumping in!

I liked Divergent, thought Convergent was okay and hated Allegiant

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Convergent ;-) I think it was Insurgent, maybe? Now you've got me not remembering ;-)

message 5: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I'm jumbling up the books original titles and the Brazilian ones LOL

message 6: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments (actually, the third book, Allegiant was translated as Convergent in Portuguese)

and yes, I'm sleep deprived LOL

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments LOL, well that makes sense :-)

message 8: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I just marked this as DNF, sadly...

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83324 comments Mod
That bad?

message 10: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I just couldn't make sense of the world building, and given how bad January has been so far, I'm not pushing myself to read anything

Oh dear, not understanding the world building is not going to lead to a happy reader!

message 12: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments Nope... And the weird names don't help either. I mean, there are political issues between people, and then currentgifts. It was just too much for me to keep reading.

I also kept remembering the fiasco of Allegiant, and decided to cut my losses

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Do you ever read psychological thrillers? That's kind of my go to when I just can't deal with any other type of book, and I really actually like the entire trilogy, so I'm curious to see how this goes, and I've never not finished a book, well very very very rarely, so we shall see :-) I will probably start tonight or tomorrow morning....

I don't do well with weird names and politics either. Will probably end up feeling the same way.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments I think with weird names it helps if you do audio, because then you don't have to figure out how to pronounce the name :-)

message 16: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments Audios don't work for me, as I'm hearing impaired...

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments OK, I'm going to start, fingers crossed I enjoy it more than you did :-)

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments I started last night, and you definitely get the feel that itis written by the same author as divergent, and I totally get what you're saying about weird names...

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments I was worried, but I am not finding the world building or the politics confusing or hard to follow, haven't really got a firm grasp on the characters yet, but so far I really actually enjoying this :-)

Atlas (atlasrising) | 4 comments Gonna try this one after getting it half price! Enjoyed Divergent - the other two were a bit rubbish :(

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Chapter 11(view spoiler)

message 22: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Graves (thebookhunter24) Starting this book today and hoping to join in on the conversation! What do you guys think about the supposed racism in this book? Has any of you who have read the book so far think it's racist?

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments I'm about 50% done, and I would not have even thought about that, but there are references to skin tone, but I saw it as more descriptive than anything.... but I suppose you could read into it, especially because I believe the suppose it good people are fairer skinned than the others, but it didn't even occur to me until you just mentioned it...

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Chapter 20(view spoiler)

message 25: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Barber | 10137 comments Bit behind-but I'm in two minds about whether this is the book for me right now.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Karen, I'm almost done and I actually really liked it, it is more character driven than anything, I didn't think it was weighed down with very much politics or world building, although the names are all a bit odd... but this is something I am learning I am not into a lot of action, fight scenes, and all that, so this was not slow to me, because I enjoyed the character development and I am still enjoying it, so I guess it is really what you're in the mood for :-)

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Chapter 32 (view spoiler)

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments And I am done! I really enjoyed it
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Graves (thebookhunter24) Haven't read much today
Did manage to finish chapter two today!
(view spoiler)

chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Berit☀️✨ wrote: "Chapter 32 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Berit☀️✨ wrote: "And I am done! I really enjoyed it
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments I really wish you could read spoilers on the app, I need to switch to my browser, curious to see what you thought :-)

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Sarah wrote: "Berit☀️✨ wrote: "And I am done! I really enjoyed it
[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

4 stars from you is a pretty darn good rating! And I totally agree with this, I'm not kidding I wonder if she has mother issues herself ;-)

Berit☀️✨ wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Berit☀️✨ wrote: "And I am done! I really enjoyed it
[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

4 stars from you is a pretty darn good rating! And I totally agree with this, I'm not kid..."

Yeah, I liked it ☺ (even though it was very slow), very different to divergent though.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Yes, definitely very different, and slow, but she did a really good job with character development :-)

I liked the very understated romance too. Not so obvious.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 4264 comments Yes, curious to see where that will go in the next book...

message 39: by Tayla (last edited Jan 28, 2017 05:37PM) (new) - added it

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) | 3093 comments im in

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting March 10th 2017. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
*********************************************************************************************************************************************

message 41: by Cinthia (new) - added it

Cinthia | 5721 comments I'm a few days behind but I will try to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

message 42: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 48 comments I plan to start this today! Anyone else?

message 43: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 48 comments Chapter 2~That was an intense chapter, (view spoiler)

message 44: by Meaghan (new) - added it

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3627 comments I'm starting right now! Have heard mainly bad things about this (but those bad voices usually are louder than the good), but I liked the divergent series and wanted to give this a fair opinion before writing it off!

message 45: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 48 comments I have heard bad and good about it, I agree that bad is usually louder. There will always be differences in opinion when it comes to books because everyone is different. So far, I'm liking the book!

message 46: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Sy  (sy_bianca) | 168 comments Gonna start reading the book after reading some poetry. ^_^

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Sy  (sy_bianca) | 168 comments Starting..

message 48: by Bianca (last edited Apr 19, 2017 06:16PM) (new)

Bianca Sy  (sy_bianca) | 168 comments I think I'm still in a reading slump for I am not absorbing the story that much. Are you guys liking it so far? I think I'll just continue reading this next time. :/

message 49: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 48 comments I haven't picked it back up since the first day I starred, because I started reading other books. I will pick it back up soon because I was intrigued.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Melanie wrote: "Chapter 2~That was an intense chapter, [spoilers removed]"

I'm only a little way in but I'm finding this quite initially confusing, too.

« previous 1 3 4 5