The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - December 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6612 comments Mod
December. Final stretch of 2016. How are you finishing out the year?

message 2: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 850 comments How many people are extremely happy that Babylon's Ashes is finally coming out? I sure am.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3672 comments ^Me too. Gonna be hard waiting on the last few books.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Louie wrote: "How many people are extremely happy that Babylon's Ashes is finally coming out? I sure am."

Can't wait!! My side read group is going to be discussing it too. I'm planning out my next book so I finish on Monday and can jump right in on Tuesday.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2206 comments Starting the month (and ending the year) with River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 20 comments Got big plans for this month.

This is the the month where I've decided that I'll read at least 10 books a month, 7 which are part of a series, 3 that are either one shots, or with only one book out so far. I'll also try to read 20 days a month, with a main goal of reading an average of 150 pages a day, and bonus goal of an average of 300 pages a day.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Got big plans for this month.

This is the the month where I've decided that I'll read at least 10 books a month, 7 which are part of a series, 3 that are either one shots, or with only one book ou..."

Meanwhile I'll be happy to finish the book I started at the beginning of November and S&L's December pick before the year ends. :)

At least in text. I'll probably get in another 3-4 in audio.

message 8: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Dec 02, 2016 03:59AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3390 comments Mod
"Unofficial World's fastest Reader" and you're only reading 10 books this month? ;-)

S&L member 'Jenny (Reading Envy)' reads that many before breakfast :-)

Well not quite, but she is up to an impressive 309 books in 11 months.
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challe...

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah. Jenny's a robot though. I'm convinced of that. :-D

message 10: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) I'm reading A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay right now.

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2687 comments Finished my great Harry Potter re-read. It was magnificent and I enjoyed
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two. Diving back into Robin Hobb with City of Dragons.

message 12: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Just started The Chemist...picked it up cheap on black friday and so far it's really good. Got to get it finished up fast though beacuseI also have Babylon's Ashes preordered! Woohoo!

message 13: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 907 comments A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: First in her Shades of Magic series. I read this one more quickly than I thought--maybe a consequence of Schwab's YA experience? Those guys seem to be real good at grabbing me. Interested to read the sequel!

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang: I saw "Arrival" and thought I'd read the original story (along with 7 other stories). Very good collection, though some have dark endings.

I think my plan for the rest of the month are to read the next Schwab book, Shusaku Endo's Silence (Scorsese's film is coming out soon), Simmons's Hyperion Cantos, and the newest David Webers.

message 14: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3672 comments Reading the science fiction mega pack #8, edited by George Martin. Some interesting stories, but the quality is uneven. Waiting impatiently on book 5 of the Old Man's War series to come off hold at LA public library. Redshirts is an even longer wait, but that one is queued up.

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 443 comments As plugged on the podcast a while ago, I thought I'd give Asteroid Made of Dragons a go. Barely started yet though, and not really sure where it's going.

message 16: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 850 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Waiting impatiently on book 5 of the Old Man's War series to come off hold at LA public library."

Man, I'd really like to re-read through the entire Old Man's War series. There is just so much other stuff on my TBR pile at the moment.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 20 comments Rob wrote: "MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Got big plans for this month.

This is the the month where I've decided that I'll read at least 10 books a month, 7 which are part of a serie..."

Oh my god!

You must have one of those mysterious things called a life. How is it?

message 18: by Rob, Roberator (new)

No, I just have a WoW addiction atm..

message 19: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I used to play a lot of WoW; not so much lately though. So much of the game tends to be focused on raiding, and I work nights when most of that sort of thing is going on. Been playing Skyrim (the solo game, not the MMORPG) instead recently. Enjoying the flexibility it offers with regards to character creation, and it has an incredible amount of content.

Just read the Algernon Blackwood novella The Willows, now reading the Blake Snyder manual on scriptwriting, Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need. Not that I see myself writing screenplays any time in the near future, but several writers I respect had good things to say about the storytelling chops of scriptwriters, and this one is supposed to be a classic, so . . .

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

That was definitely the case last expansion, but less so this expansion. I'm running a lot of dungeons, pvping, and a lot of this new thing called world quests which are basically a much improved daily quest/ reputation grind system. The artifact weapons and 5 man Karazhan have been my highlight so far.

message 21: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2411 comments I will pick up this months book from the library on Monday. Until then I am finishing off The Girl with All the Gifts. The final book in David Weber's Safehold series should arrive next week so that will keep me busy throughout the holidays.

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 7668 comments My video card gave up the ghost, which I find frees up all kinds of time for reading.

message 23: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithdale) | 2 comments I just started The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu but I admit I'm having a hard time getting into it.

message 24: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3672 comments Trike wrote: "My video card gave up the ghost, which I find frees up all kinds of time for reading."

Did it kindle your desire for reading? Have you found a nice reading nook?

message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1294 comments Started on The Rook so I can finish on Monday, wake up Tuesday with Babylon's Ashes on my Tablet. Work on my acting so I can call in sick on Wednesday and have my bosses believe I am near death just in case I have to extend it to Thursday.

message 26: by Trike (new)

Trike | 7668 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Trike wrote: "My video card gave up the ghost, which I find frees up all kinds of time for reading."

Did it kindle your desire for reading? Have you found a nice reading nook?"

Actually, cat-like ipad across the room to my favorite reading chair.

message 27: by Silvana (last edited Dec 04, 2016 06:47AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1584 comments Starting Red Mars. Better than expected so far.

Stephen wrote: "wake up Tuesday with Babylon's Ashes on my Tablet. Work on my acting so I can call in sick on Wednesday and have my bo..."

This Tuesday...OMG I hate you so much right now. I am still waiting for my paperback since Kindle won't sell it to me. And that will take a month.

message 28: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1584 comments Rob wrote: "Can't wait!! My side read group is going to be discussing it too. I'm planning out my next book so I finish on Monday and can jump right in on Tuesday.

I think I'm going to cry.

message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Silvana wrote: "Rob wrote: "Can't wait!! My side read group is going to be discussing it too. I'm planning out my next book so I finish on Monday and can jump right in on Tuesday.

I think I'm going to cry."

Why is that?

message 30: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Finished up listening to A Crown of Swords, like a few of the other books I enjoyed it more on my reread than the first time (My Review).

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2792 comments Tassie Dave wrote: ""Unofficial World's fastest Reader" and you're only reading 10 books this month? ;-)

S&L member 'Jenny (Reading Envy)' reads that many before breakfast :-)

Well not quite, but she is up to an imp..."

I am not a robot!! I have theories on why I read so fast, that have to do with my brain and learning to read music so young. Plus I have no children. :)

message 32: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sounds like something a Robot might say. :-D

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2792 comments Rob wrote: "Sounds like something a Robot might say. :-D"
Beep boop bop dowheeeee!

message 34: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Haha.

message 35: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3390 comments Mod
Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I am not a robot!! I have theories on why I read so fast, that have to do with my brain and learning to read music so young. Plus I have no children. :)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qB...

I'm jealous. So many books, so little time to get through them all.

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 7668 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I am not a robot!! I have theories on why I read so fast, that have to do with my brain and learning to read music so young. Plus I have no children. :) ."

...that you know of. :p

message 37: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1584 comments Rob wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Rob wrote: "Can't wait!! My side read group is going to be discussing it too. I'm planning out my next book so I finish on Monday and can jump right in on Tuesday.

I think I'm go..."

because everyone seems to have copy of BA on the publication date and I will have to wait for one or even two months for a paperback copy (geo restriction at Kindle)

message 38: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3672 comments I'm excited to read it, but not so wildly excited that I have to have it day one. Plenty of other books to read while I wait for it to come available at the library.

message 39: by Rob, Roberator (new)

That's a bummer. International publishing rights get weird.

message 40: by Aaron (last edited Dec 05, 2016 07:08AM) (new)

Aaron Nagy | 379 comments Officially moved a few books to DNF.

Been in a slump this month mostly.

Opening Moves #2 rated book on RoyalRoadl, a big webfiction site, got an audiobook so I decided to pick it up and this book sucked and basically reminded me why I don't go there anymore. Pretty much litRPG with a way better than average premise...however the main character had basically zero agency and just followed what his helper AI told him to do...this made it just entirely too cringe for me.

Stiger's Tigers It was okay 2/5 years ago I might of given this a 3/5, but it was just too bland for my tastes, if solidly executed.

On a brighter note I started back up the Ember wars with books #3 and #4 Blood of Heroes, this series well...it does keep getting better at least. I compare this series and frontlines a good bit in my head, and while Frontlines has a better start...better writing...better characters. There is something about this series that just sparks my imagination and it's well fun. I think by the time I catch up on this series I'm going to be looking forward to the new ember war book a lot more.

Also catching up on a few random LN series I have let sit wayside for a while. Gifting the wonderful world with blessings is up first with books 5 and 6, and it continues to improve. After I catch up to current translations I'll move on to Accel World.

message 41: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3672 comments I just started Redshirts by Scalzi. This book is knock down, drag out hilarious. Probably the best he's ever done.

message 42: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2732 comments Reading the next book in the Rook series, Stiletto. It's good, but not first person perspective so different.

After that... not sure. Maybe Too Like the Lightning but it sounds... literary and I'm not sure I'm in the mood for literary.

message 43: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1458 comments Did a lot of driving this weekend, so I just finished listening to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet today. I really dug it. There has been a lot of comparisons to Firefly, and that is there, but I saw a lot of Gene Roddenberry influence as well. The universe is a little more used then a Star Trek one, but not nearly as much as Firefly. It's also interesting to have the main ship not be a military/ rebel one, or skirt the law. They are a working crew doing a job, and while they have adventure, it's not turned up to 11 all, or even much of the time.

The writing style was more on the simple side, comparable to The Martian or Ready Player One, but that made for it to be a quick listen. It still dealt with a couple of heavier issues, but most of this book was just getting to know a crew of mostly likeable charcters.

I think I will stick with the series, I just hope that it stays what it is and there is no pressure to keep uping the drama and action to the point where it isn't just a working space adventure anymore.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2792 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Did a lot of driving this weekend, so I just finished listening to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet today. I really dug it. There has been a lot of comparisons to Firefly, and ..."

I have the second book from the UK, saving it for the holidays. I think it isn't space opera but two characters on their home planet, at least partly.

message 45: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yes A Closed and Common Orbit focuses on two minor characters from the first book, and isn't really a sequel so much as another story set intthe same universe after the events of the first. I still enjoyed it though.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2792 comments I finally read Sex Criminals, Volume One: One Weird Trick, about two people who stop time when they orgasm, and start robbing banks. Fun times.

message 47: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 850 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I finally read Sex Criminals, Volume One: One Weird Trick, about two people who stop time when they orgasm, and start robbing banks. Fun times."

UGH, I can't wait for the fourth arc to start, in February.

message 48: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I was about to plunge into The Hydrogen Sonata, but then Babylon's Ashes popped up. So that first, then Banks.

Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6) by James S.A. Corey The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks

message 49: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 38 comments I just started Hell Divers (Hell Divers #1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith . It was getting some attention on Audible and I love R.C. Bray, but not sure I am fully enjoying this book. It is short so I will see it through.

message 50: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2687 comments Finished City of Dragons today. My review Going to finish this series with Blood of Dragons.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.