This topic is about The Omen
Group Reads > November 2016 Group Read #2: The Omen

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (new) - added it

Char  | 13908 comments Mod
Here's a place for us to read the runner up for November's Group Read:
The Omen. The Omen by David Seltzer

Please use spoiler tags as necessary and happy reading!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments I plan on joining in for this one:-). I'll have to put my ILL request in at the library this week.

message 3: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10842 comments Mod
I may join this one. I'm not sure yet.

message 4: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 3 comments I'm IN! I haven't read this. Looking forward to it!

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 31 comments Ok just started and the opening line... a perfect classic start. It happen in a millisecond. A movement in the galaxies that should have taken eons occurred in the blinking of an eye.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 340 comments HAs anyone watched the tv series that was just on? I recorded it but haven't watched it yet

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10842 comments Mod
I did for a while. I liked it but couldn't watch it for free on amc's website anymore so I had to give it up

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 900 comments Kenneth wrote: "Ok just started and the opening line... a perfect classic start. It happen in a millisecond. A movement in the galaxies that should have taken eons occurred in the blinking of an eye."

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, but this sounds great!

Missy | 199 comments I am planning on joining this one. Had to buy one from Amazon because my library doesn't have a copy. (WTH???)

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 900 comments Missy wrote: "I am planning on joining this one. Had to buy one from Amazon because my library doesn't have a copy. (WTH???)"

I had the same problem. I checked all the local libraries and none had a copy, so I'm waiting for Amazon to fill the gap.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never watched the movie. Either of them! I ordered the book, though, and can't wait to start. I've never met a devil I didn't like.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments Tabitha wrote: "I've never watched the movie. Either of them! I ordered the book, though, and can't wait to start. I've never met a devil I didn't like."

:-)

I've seen bits and pieces of the movie, but it's been years. I mostly remember the scene of the nanny yelling, "It's all for you, Damian!"

I've never read the book. I hope my copy comes soon. I'm getting mine from the library, from an interlibrary loan.

PrinzessBookDragon | 12 comments i surprisingly couldn't get an e book from the library. (WTH?? is right) lol

message 14: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam (adamskijondicky) | 2 comments I read this not long ago, loved it ^_^. I didn't know there was a TV series made, I'll have to look out for it!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments I just got my book today, woo hoo! I should be able to start it tomorrow.

I'm surprised how short the book is. Mine is an older hardcover version, only 152 pages. I checked to make sure it wasn't abridged, LOL! I think it's just small print, though.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments Wow, not much discussion on this book! I wonder if many plan to read it?

I still haven't started it yet. It's up next, after I finish Kin.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments The original movie is excellent - the remake not good

The second movie was great, the third watchable, the fourth made for TV terrible

The TV show was a huge disappointment - I was excited but they were weird with it

The box set of the old DVDs had these neat features for the original films, weird history with making the first movie

This book The Omen was written with the screenplay in mind but they did well

The Omen II movie novelization was also good - if you enjoy this one, you may like checking that one out

I'm not surprised this is hard to find at some libraries, including ebook (I'm surprised there was an ebook version if there was)

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 900 comments Kelly wrote: "Wow, not much discussion on this book! I wonder if many plan to read it?

I still haven't started it yet. It's up next, after I finish Kin."

I finally got my copy from Amazon.

I thought it was a fast paced, taut book. I see in Erin's comment that the book was written with the screenplay in mind, and the movie (original) was very faithful to the book.

I enjoyed it. Glad the group picked it.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments I just started this today, and so far I really like it. It's a fast-paced read.

The kid is only four years old, and already he's creepy:-).

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 900 comments Kelly wrote: "I just started this today, and so far I really like it. It's a fast-paced read.

The kid is only four years old, and already he's creepy:-)."

Damien is a creepy kid. Not talking contributes to that -

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments I'm almost at the halfway point, and I'm wondering why (view spoiler)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments Finished it:-). I enjoyed it. Rated it 4 stars.

Having seen the movie (albeit years ago), I didn't find anything surprising about the book. Maybe that's why there's been so little discussion: everyone knows the story so well, there just isn't much to say about it.

message 23: by C.a. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.a. Anderson (caanderson) | 91 comments Fantastic story, compelling characters, and a true page turner. You feel sorry for Mr. and Mrs. Thorn. What they wanted was a family, what they got was a parent’s worst nightmare.

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 31 comments I'm on page 100
Very well written
This is so much more than a horror story I also get the sense of a thriller that keeps you on the edge. I cannot remember how it turns out from when I saw the movie staring Gregory Peck so after I finish the book; I'll have to re watch the movie and compare the two.

Missy | 199 comments I loved this book and am so happy that I participated in this group read.
The book read quickly but it was so well written. The action kept me turning the page. Haha I really wanted to call in sick just so I could read the book in one sitting!

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 31 comments Just completed it
Took my time since it was so well written, I savored it. I do enjoy the rollercoaster ride this story took me on. I'm also placing this on my top ten plot twist at the end.