Start by marking “Kin” as Want to Read:
Kin

Kin

On a scorching hot summer day in Elkwood, Alabama, Claire Lambert staggers naked, wounded, and half-blind away from the scene of an atrocity. She is the sole survivor of a nightmare that claimed her friends, and even as she prays for rescue, the killers — a family of cannibalistic lunatics — are closing in.

A soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder returns fro
Published October 25th 2011 by Cemetery Dance Publications (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Kin, please sign up.
Warrenh There is some gore, and some is creative in a gnarly way but it's not too much and didn't seem superfluous given the story. This was my first foray in…moreThere is some gore, and some is creative in a gnarly way but it's not too much and didn't seem superfluous given the story. This was my first foray into the slasher/gore sub-genre and I was nervous myself! I may be less squeamish than you, but this was a really well written book independent of the gore. (less)

Start your review of Kin
Kat
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
maybe a 1.5?? i really try not to use half stars, but this wasn’t the worst thing ever, just soooooo sooooo disappointing. le sigh 😔

ok, i've gotta write a review to get my thoughts down or else come the end of the month i'm gonna have no clue wtf i read in here. some thots:

1. the writing of this was so tedious. sentences were stretched into paragraphs, paragraphs into pages, etc. the level of detail should have lent itself to creating a picture in the reader's head, but it just felt like KPB was
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT 10/10/16: Are you looking for a story that really grabs you by the pussy????? Then this might be the one for you. On sale this week for $.99* (or FREE with Kindle Unlimited).

*Barf bags additional

“All my friends are gone. Everything is dead.”

What if this . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Was only the start of the horror movie???? Such is the case with Kin as Claire stumbles out of the woods half dead from the hands of her captors. Thus begins a fin
Johann (jobis89)
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"It seemed he always had blood on his hands no matter how hard or how often he washed them."

Naked and covered in blood, Claire Lambert emerges from a massacre that has claimed the lives of her friends. As the sole survivor, Claire wants revenge for the cannibalistic family responsible for the hell that she has endured. But she's not the only one, others have been affected by this nightmare and they too want this family of lunatics to pay...

What did I just read?! As a forewarning (I feel like I'm
Ginger
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, buddy-read
Great writing and book!

Side note: This book is not for the squeamish or for readers who have issues with certain trigger warnings.

I will not go into each trigger warning in this review because I feel like they can be spoilers to some readers. If there is a subject matter that is hard for you to read, please reach out through direct messaging and I will let you know.

I’ve loved the writing of Kealan Patrick Burke for some time now and this is another book by him that does not disappoint!

I was plan
karen
for some reason, i thought this was going to be another one of those downtrodden working poor novels i so love. damn that cover: barn, grass, isolated-looking rural atmosphere. i didn't even realize that blob in the foreground was a nude girl. oops.

i knew this had a horror angle; i knew it was going to have some - you know - cannibalism in it, but that's never bothered me any; i just for some reason thought this would have some of the poetic literary language i love from these books - the way e
Dan Schwent
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, 2016
When Claire Lambert and her three friends crossed the paths of some murderous cannibal hillbillies while hiking in Alabama, their lives were destroyed forever. Claire lost her friends, her virginity, a few fingers, and her eye. But the Merrill family made one mistake: they let Claire live...

You know, when a book starts with a mutilated woman staggering along the side of the road, you know shit is only going to get worse. And it does.

Kin is a gore-strewn tale of depravity and a twisted notion of
Larry
Jun 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Somewhere between a 1 and 2, but the end was so poor that I trended to the low end of the spectrum. Heavy on the gore. Strangely, the author put a lot of effort into describing and developing the characters, relationships and story introduced in the first 80% of the book, then seemed to breeze through the end. And, based on one aspect of the ending, could there possibly be “Kin2”? Let’s hope not...
Marie
There is a small warning with this book as some parts are extreme, so tread carefully if you have a queasy stomach and are not able to handle extreme situations. For those of you that love the extreme and want to take a walk on the wild side, then by all means pick up this book!

This was my first time reading author, Kealan Patrick Burke, and I am so happy that I finally read this book as I have had this book for awhile on my kindle waiting to be read. The book starts off with a bang and doesn't
Char
Kealan Patrick Burke-I love the guy. I'm slowly catching up on everything he has available. I was excited to see he had a new novel out, KIN.
The protagonist of this novel is Claire. Claire survived rape and torture at the hands of a "Deliverance" type family. The story begins with Claire's escape from them, the only one of her group of friends to do so.
From that point on, the story ripples outward to all of the people involved: Claire's friends and family, the antagonist's family, and the fami
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Whew, that was dark at points and super suspenseful! This one gets ALL the trigger warnings, but if you've ever wanted Deliverance or Wrong Turn + a revenge story in a novel, this is going to be right up your alley. Not only does it keep you on the edge of your seat, but Kealan manages to craft characters so well. There's a fairly large cast to the story, yet each of them had their own clear motives (good or bad), and it's easy to feel some type of way about them all, whether you're rooting for ...more
Krystal
This story is both deeply disturbing and absolutely brilliant.

It's very much a gruesome slasher flick, which begins with a horrific massacre and doesn't get any prettier, but there's also an intelligence to it that contrasts the violence with very real character depth.

This is not horror for horror's sake.

This is horror that allows for a fascinating examination of trauma.

One of the most incredible horror stories I've read in a long time.

I have this rule about only giving 5-star ratings to books I
Sadie Hartmann
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No spoiler/No plot points review: Just my feelings:
This book is the closest I have come to watching a scary movie I would *never* watch. If you know me, you know that I read all the horror books I can get my hands on but that scary movies are too much for me and I rarely watch them. It has a lot to do with the connection the reader has with the author vs. the director. Authors can *show* me things but the imagery ends with me. A director shows me everything--I have no choices on what I see or do
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
I’m keeping this short and to the point (for a change) because I’m pretty sure I was one of the last people in the horror community to read this book but that’s nothing new for me. After hearing that it was brutal for YEARS I went in prepared and parts of it (mostly the beginning) were brutal but not as in your face disgusting as I feared. But I’ve read/seen some dreadful things and liked them so you probably can’t trust me on this statement. There is one scene, however, that I swear I could SME ...more
Lou
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I interviewed Kealan Patrick Burke here.
The writer of The Turtle Boy, a Bram stoker award winner, brings to you this tale. This story is dark, not of the paranormal kind but that of the darkness of the heart and the evil that men do.
His story is a taut visceral story of one woman's survival, her pain endured and being the soul left behind from the fallen ones. Nightmares are to haunt her salvation and she is in need of succor, need of embrace and love. There is a need for revenge, vengeance and
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
tw:// graphic content, message me for the specific triggers before you read if needed

With horror literature, I mostly read stories about ghosts and demons (or the latest Stephen King offering) so this was a welcome change. I am quite a novice, as horror cinema is where my expertise lies, so this was my introduction to Kealan Patrick Burke.

“Kin” gave me the same feelings that I would experience whilst watching a horror movie, but it somehow feels even more grim reading it and having to visuali
Janelle Janson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, horror
SO EFFING GOOD
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust by: Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
4 " I RECKON THIS ' ER STORY IS CRAZIER THAN SQUIRREL TURD SUNDAE" STARS

WOW! .. This story was one big cup of redneck fuckery and I loved it. The first 40% had me saying..

...but then around the 43% I thought ...

..... Yeah, my impatient ass was not pleased with the sudden shift in storyline. Thankfully I didn't give up because around the 60% I was back to this..

..... Friends, this is NOT for the faint of heart. I've read some pretty fucked up shit yet my stomach required 1/2 a bottle of pepto t
Edward Lorn
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What would have happened if John Steinbeck wrote The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

You'll find your answer within the pages of Kealan Patrick Burke's novel, Kin.

Everything from the characters, to the locations, to the message hidden in the words on the page, sings with an operatic brilliance. If I wasn't moved, I was disgusted. Both are emotions I look for in a horror outing. Kealan has that rare ability to make carnage and filth somehow beautiful.

This book is now in my top twenty favorite novels o
Terry
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going with 4.5/5.0, rounded up. Despite the tough subject matter (and there is some for sure), this book is just so well written that it made it a really enjoyable and easy read. If there is one thing that I think most of us want, it's to read impactful scenes, the type you don't forget and remember long after. I can think of at least three scenes I'll not soon be forgetting from this read, and I chalk that up to the great writing and the great characters. I look forward to reading more book ...more
Mindi
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first full length novel I have read by Burke, and I was really excited to start it since I loved his novella Sour Candy so much.

A few days ago I posted some pics of Sour Candy and Kin on Instagram, and I was delighted to find that the next day Mr. Burke himself had liked my pics and commented on them! I have never had a writer actually thank me for reading his works, so needless to say I was flabbergasted and thrilled to actually interact with such a fantastic novelist.

Kin has some
Luke Walker
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal but not unnecessarily so, this is first rate writing as well as a superb horror novel. Great characters, cleverly plotted and satisfying. Loved it.
Jon Recluse
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KIN is an incredible, trailblazing novel by an author at the top of his game. It begins where every other book and movie in the subgenre ends and tells the tale that always needed to be told. How evil does not exist in a vacuum. That an act of violence creates a series of ripples that can do more damage than the initial act itself. How real people, flawed or not, react in the aftermath. Pushing the boundaries of the entire genre and pulsing with raw, visceral emotional power, KIN is sure to beco ...more
Jason Parent
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Kin kind of begins with motifs stereotypical of the inbred redneck serial killer genre (sub-sub-genre?). But as one reads further, the title, and with it the depth of the novel, becomes more meaningful. Kin tells the story not only of the victims of one atrocity, but of their surviving kin and the kin of all others impacted by it. Some fill with misdirected hate, others fear and loss, still others with thoughts geared toward vengeance. Only then do we see as readers that Kin means so much more t ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

He would wait a while for the bleeding to cease, before he sewed her up again.
Until then, he would pray.
And when he was done, he would take the girl to his car and head for
Mason City.
We'll get you home, he promised.

Kealan Patrick Burke's Kin is an original three acts take about slasher tropes and clichès, answering to the questions about what happens to the Final Girl after surviving from the masked killer or, like in this case, from your friendly backwoods cannibal hillibillies family...
First a
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Joe Valdez
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Final Girls, backpackers, depraved hillbillies
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I came to visit with Kealan Patrick Burke's KIN courtesy avid recommendations from two bibliophiles on Goodreads whose taste I trust. After reading this lightning paced novel in three days, their literary credibility is intact. I do not trust them well enough to go hiking in rural Alabama anytime soon. This book surpassed all my expectations and gave me one rough nightmare, so, my psyche knows the author hit his mark.

KIN begins where the slasher movies of the '70s and '80s typically end. Teenage
Paul Nelson
Not for the faint hearted Kin is an emotional gut wrenching ride into the minds of the abused, those seeking retribution and a cannibalistic redneck family that hunt and kill people.
You won’t find more of a hard hitting, brutal and compelling opening than the image of Claire, severely tortured both mentally and physically, running for her life, running from the Merrill clan.
Claire and her three friends were hiking through the backwoods town of Elkwood when they were stalked and attacked by the M
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a grief and revenge horror. Two of my favorite sub-genres rolled into one book. I’ve always been fascinated by the final girl. The struggles that she had to endure but more so her journey to overcome the darkness within. This book would be like if the movie ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ kept playing. We would get to see how the final girl lived with the darkness she is left with. We would also get to see how the butterfly flapped its wings and caused all the tornadoes in its wake. If you lov ...more
Gary
Well plotted

The author manages to maintain a constant sense of tension throughout the story. The characters are well developed, interesting and the dialogue between them is realistic.
This is another hillbilly cannibal story, yes. Sometimes a formula works based on the story built around the concept. There are books that have completely new ideas that fail miserably. This book succeeded in drawing me into the story and keeping me there.
There are moments of shock and times where the tension reach
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
3.5ish
I really enjoyed the perspective in this book. It opens up AFTER a teen joyride into backwoods Alabama ends in a brutal massacre by cannibalistic rednecks. We open up on Final Girl Claire stumbling her way to find help. It was a great start to a fascinating story! I'm knocking it down a star and a half because the middle section got a little tedious and started to focus on unnecessary character perspectives. I will say that the author puts in the effort to write characters with motivations
Horror Aficionados : September 2020 Group Read : In Honor of Jon Recluse: KIN 221 413 Oct 05, 2020 07:44AM
I have some news from Kealan Patrick Burke 1 12 Sep 25, 2018 12:07PM

• Gone to See the River Man
  • Dear Laura
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • Children of the Dark
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more

News & Interviews

“Finch was his own country, the government unstable, the population volatile.” 15 likes
“Living is hard; Death is easy. And there are no answers on either side.” 5 likes