You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Flying Monkeys reporting back

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2016 12:48PM) (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments Hi team...Be a Flying Monkey! Please report books read here! :)

don't make me release flying monkeys photo: FLYING MONKEYS FlyingMonkeys.jpg

Flying Monkey's Damage:
Annette - 50
Ariane - 30
Casceil - 55
jaxnsmom - 80
Kristie - 35
Lori Z - 30
Sharon - 20
Susan - 90
Pragya - 40
Mariab - 10
Sam - 50

Total Damage Done: 490

Extra points
5 extra points if the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy.
5 extra points if the book is Halloween related.
5 extra points is the shoes are red.

Countdown to end of toppler

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Read Haunted Destiny which could count for either romance or mystery, whichever we need.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments I finished Cocaine Blues for the set between 1900 and 1950 task.

EDIT: Added +5 for a main character named Dorothy.

message 4: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1847 comments I finished Mystery of the Ivory Charm
Scarecrow task - Children's book

message 5: by Pragya (last edited Oct 24, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments I finished The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story for book into movie.

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I finished Sin and Sensibility for the royalty task.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments Please make sure to note if your book meets any of the additional points requirements.

Extra points
5 extra points if the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy.
5 extra points if the book is Halloween related.
5 extra points is the shoes are red.

message 8: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1847 comments I finished Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba for the set in 1900-1950 task.

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I finished Take the Monkey and Run Take the Monkey and Run (Call of the Wilde #4) by Laura Morrigan for Toto or the Cowardly Lion or mystery. Probably mystery is the simplest.
The two animals on the cover are a Capuchin monkey and a dog named Moss. Both are important characters in the story. Arguably, the dog is a common animal (though he is half timber wolf) and arguably the monkey is a wild animal, except he seems fairly domesticated. So let's go with mystery. Ding, Dong the Witch is Dead.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments 70 points photo: 70th 70-l.gif

Seventy points already! Way to go, Flying Monkeys!!

message 11: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Finished Burying the Honeysuckle Girls which could be.. book about family or mystery or took place between 1900-1950 (half of it does)

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I just finished Ruse & Romance for Tin Man.

message 13: by Ariane (last edited Oct 25, 2016 07:04AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I just finished Lucas which qualifies for the tin man, romance.
It is also full of werewolves and vampires... Halloween related?

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Not unless it takes place around Halloween or has some other strong connection.

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I finished The Perfect Wife which qualifies for the tin man, romance.

message 16: by Pragya (last edited Oct 24, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I finished The Immortals. I had wanted it to count for the scarecrow but it had a professor rather than a student as a main character. so I suppose it could count for "Follow the Yellow Brick Road/You're Off to See the Wizard" – Read a fantasy book instead.

message 18: by Susan (last edited Oct 24, 2016 03:44PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Finished Paw Enforcement for the Toto - Read a book with a 'common' animal as a main or secondary character. (dog, cat, rabbit, duck, horse, pig, etc) task.

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Finished Halfway to the Grave for "Follow the Yellow Brick Road/You're Off to See the Wizard" – Read a fantasy book .

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments Finished The Radetzky March. Can go in classic, between 1900-1950, or royalty character categories.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Finished That Old Flame of Mine for mystery.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments Just added another 100 points!! We are now up to 175 total!

100 photo: 100 100.jpg

message 23: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Hello! Finished Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage... it's a nonfiction

message 24: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1847 comments I finished Cappuccinos, Cupcakes, and a Corpse for the "Ding, dong the witch is dead task" read a mystery.

message 25: by jaxnsmom (new)

message 26: by Susan (last edited Oct 27, 2016 06:57AM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I finished Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige and loved it. I think this one will count for Ruby Slippers - Read a book with a pair of shoes on the cover and maybe 5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy. Waiting for a ruling on that since Dorothy is the villain rather than the protagonist in the story, I'm not sure if that counts...

Edit: Yes! Counting the extra 5 points for Dorothy - so 15 points for this one.

message 27: by Ariane (last edited Oct 26, 2016 02:25PM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I finished Under Different Stars which qualifies for Dorothy Gale - Read a YA book

message 28: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments I finished Picture the Dead It could be horror or family or romance or young adult

message 29: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I finished Dreams of Gods & Monsters
No 'common animal' in my book o_0
"Read a book with a wizard, magician, or confidence man as a main character". Plenty of that in my book!

message 30: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I have finished Southern Spirits, which qualifies as either a mystery or fantasy.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments Up to 270 points!! Way to go team! Keep up the good work!

way to go photo: Way to go ! noname3.gif

message 33: by Sam (last edited Oct 28, 2016 12:41AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2145 comments Reporting catch up from the new monkey:

I've read Black Beauty which counts for a classic or the common animal since its told through the eyes of a horse

and The Sisterhood which counts for Scarecrow he lacks a brain as the main character is a student working on her college thesis.

Sadly no bonus points achieved with these though so just the 20 points for me so far.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Finished listening to A Kiss Before Dying for the Book that was made into a movie task. I could only find it in audio form in my library, I usually prefer reading the book myself, but I made it work. This book also has a MC named Dorothy so 10 + 5 points for this one.

message 35: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Finished Beauty and the Clockwork Beast
It could count as sci fi... steampunk counts as scifi, right?
It could also be family, romance or mystery... there is also an earl as a MC.. if that counts for royalty.

message 36: by Susan (last edited Oct 27, 2016 06:15PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Ok! Finished The Wicked Will Rise. So this one should count for YA or the Wizard category for 10 points plus 5 for MC named Dorothy.

message 37: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I finished The Skeleton in the Closet, for fantasy or mystery. (It's a mystery, but many of the characters are ghosts.)

message 38: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments Finished The Gentleman for fantasy.

message 39: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Finished Where Things Come Back for YA.

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2145 comments And I've just finished Tea Time For The Traditionally Built for "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" – mystery book.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2016 07:10AM) (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments We're doing great! Keep going, Monkeys! We still have one day left. (I'm not sure where the rest of the week went!)

keep going photo: Keep On Going! KeepGoing_zps907e7a69.jpg

keep going photo: Keep going! Animal.gif

Countdown to end of toppler

message 42: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2145 comments And I've finished my fourth and last with Katharine Hepburn for "If I Only Had a Brain" – nonfiction book

Again no bonus points but every little helps!

message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2145 comments Thanks to my motorbike addiction and this weekend's Malaysian GP I have somehow managed to finish another book with Lost City of the Incas for a book that takes place between 1900 and 1950.

Now that really is my last one...

message 44: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Haha Sam, we won't mind if it really isn't your last. ;)

message 45: by Susan (last edited Oct 29, 2016 06:19AM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Finished Yellow Brick War. I suppose we can count this one as "Follow the Yellow Brick Road/You're Off to See the Wizard" – Read a fantasy book and also add 5 points for a character named Dorothy.

message 46: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Finished Deux soeurs pour un roi, which qualifies for a book into a movie

message 47: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Just finished Gateway to Fourline. I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it. It is a fantasy and I believe also a YA

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments I finished On the Island for romance.

message 49: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I finished Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge for fantasy. Also qualifies for bonus points as a Halloween book.

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Annette wrote: "Finished Beauty and the Clockwork Beast
It could count as sci fi... steampunk counts as scifi, right?
It could also be family, romance or mystery... there is also an earl as a MC.. ..."

It could count as any of those.

« previous 1