Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives (closed topics) > The Mortal Instruments

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steph (kingsteph) I'm currently reading "The Mortal Instruments" book series by Cassandra Clare. I've heard a lot of people give bad reviews on it, but personally, I love the series. The series is about a girl named Clary Fray who is told that she is part of a different world called "The ShadowWorld". in the ShadowWorld there are warlocks, witches, vampires, werewolves, and shadowhunters. Shadowhunters are half-human and half-angel. They hunt and kill demons protect mundanes (mundanes is what they call mortals). Clary's mother is kidnapped by her ex husband, Valentine, and Clary goes on a wild adventure to find her.

Landree Rennpage | 9 comments It's a great series. And the TV series debuted this year as well, and it is so much better than the movie that came out a few years ago (I like this Jace much better, too). There's also The Magnus Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, sets of short stories by Cassie Clare and other authors as well. The Shadowhunter's Codex is filled with fun scribbles from Jace, Clary, and Simon.

And the prequel series, The Infernal Devices, is also great. Set in Victorian England, it follows the adventures of some of the ancestors of the current characters, as well as Magnus Bane, one of my all time favorite warlocks. There are also manga versions of this trilogy, which are beautiful and true to the spirit of the books.

The sequel series, The Dark Artifices, just began this year, with Lady Midnight, which is also great.

David Day (davidday) | 29 comments I enjoyed the series but after the 3rd or 4th book I was too tired of the innocent v. incestuous controversy (brother and sister or lovers). I gave up.

I enjoyed the infernal devices and the Clockwork Clockwork Angel series (just 2 books) was wonderful.

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2569 comments I thought the premise good, and I like Magnus characters (I tend to like secondary characters more than primary in general), but the incest thing kind of bothered me, not because it was incest but because it was clearly a case of YA insta-love. Being a case of "we just met but I know we're meant to be together forever and even when I know you're my brother/sister I still can't stop thinking of you" I figured how things would turn out in the end early on. Therefore I was more annoyed with the angst than anything else. In fact not a huge fan of YA angst in general, especially as I was never a particularly angsty teenager myself and can't sympathize.

Didn't know there was a TV series though, only knew about the movie.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Nov 07, 2016 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 68 comments I like this series too.
I love the characters and the stories, though I do think the quality of the writing could be a bit better.

The movie was just terrible.

The TV series...well its good if you take it on its own. As an adaptation, its not that great either. They changed so much its kind of ridiculous.

I enjoyed the Infernal Devices series too. I started reading Lady Midnight a few months ago and struggled to get into it, so its further down the TBR at the moment. It might be because Emma just irked me to no end in City of Heavenly Fire.

The Bane Chronicles were good too. Some of the stories are serious, some are humorous.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.