The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Books, Movies and Music > Currently reading / recommendations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith Marie (new)

Judith Marie | 43 comments Hi everyone,
I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about the books from the list we're reading independently from the group, or those we have already read and would like to recommend.

I'll start with The Portable Dorothy Parker, which I have just finished and can only recommend!
(I actually didn't read "The Portable DP", but "The Collected DP", which contains "The Portable DP" and other works.)

It's really funny, and the irony in a lot of the stories even reminded me of the style of Gilmore Girls sometimes.
Rory read this in the episode "Rory's dance", in which she takes it to the ball in her purse - one of my favorite episodes I think.

Next I'm reading The Second Sex, so if anyone is currently reading one of those books, has already read them or is planning on reading them, I would love to talk about them :)

message 2: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 17 comments Thanks for creating this thread! I'm currently reading several books in an attempt to get out of this reading slump and they are Talking As Fast As I Can, Spirit Bound from the Vampire Academy series, Game of Thrones and The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. They're all really good and are proving effective at getting me to read. However the main reason I came to this thread was to tell you that I just found a four book series by Amy Sherman-Palladino based on the Gilmore Girls, I wished they had a book series when I watched the show and it turns out they kind of do!

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 42 comments I am currently reading A Clash of Kings (2nd book in the A Game of Thrones series) and am loving it so far and the way the chapters are laid out. I loved in the revival during the summer episode, where Rory has the boy holding her umbrella call her "khaleesi".

message 4: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 17 comments Rosa wrote: "I am currently reading A Clash of Kings (2nd book in the A Game of Thrones series) and am loving it so far and the way the chapters are laid out. I loved in the revival during the summer episode, w..."

Are the chapters laid out the same as in GoT with the characters names? I loved the Game of Thrones references in the revival. I just watched the second episode of the new Peter Kay's Car Share and the actor for Vary's played a drunk middle aged woman who gossiped about everyone and was dressed as Smurfette, it took me so long to clock on to who he was!

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 42 comments Jennie, yes, each chapter is a character's name and is from their POV. When I grabbed the first book, I wasn't sure how I'd like it, thinking I'd get confused with so many different characters and places, but I really like the lay out now and look forward to certain chapters of my favorite characters.

Sorry, idk how to "reply" to someone specific on my phone lol.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (violettfem) | 5 comments I just started Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming. I'm only one chapter in and it's witty, engaging and emotional.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Joelle (stephaniejoelle) | 7 comments I think this one is on the list because it was mentioned in GGAYITL, but I just read part one of Wild. I love it. It is very eloquently written and compared magnificently well with the film so far. I love this story so much and am so glad I finally decided to pick it up and start reading! 😊

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) | 3 comments I am reading .

Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Xx

message 9: by Patri (new)

Patri (patritorres) | 13 comments Hey, I just finished The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories and I wasn't very fond of it. But tomorrow I'll be starting The Night Circus which is not in the challenge but I am really looking forward to it, I have heard nothing but wonders about it!
Let's see how it turns out!

message 10: by Judith Marie (new)

Judith Marie | 43 comments Jennie wrote: "Thanks for creating this thread! I'm currently reading several books in an attempt to get out of this reading slump and they are Talking As Fast As I Can, Spirit Bound from the Vampire Academy seri..."

I'm happy to see people actually commenting on this thread :D
Apart from Anna Karenina I'm currently reading the Sherlock Holmes series. So far I read A Study in Scarlet and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Next up is The Sign of Four.

I can only recommend them (I'm not sure if they're on the list, but they are definitely books Rory would read). They are not too long and I find them very engaging.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Elliot (jennaelliot) | 7 comments I read The Hound of the Baskervilles which is a Sherlock Holmes book, and I can definitely agree that books about Sherlock Holmes are engaging! I'm not sure if that one is part of the series, but I liked it because it was a little creepy, and I didn't guess the ending (not that I'm usually good at guessing, but still). :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next from Rory's list, but I do have a book by Rebecca Solnit on my beside table waiting to be read called Men Explain Things to Me. I'll be reading that one soon. It's a book about Feminism, so I still think Rory would approve! :D Actually, if anyone sees this and wants to buddy read the Solnit book, I'm down! Just throwing that out there! :)

message 12: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 9 comments I'm currently reading "In Such Good Company" by Carol Burnette. I have laughed out loud so much. I remember watching reruns of her show in the mornings before school. I highly recommend it even though I'm not even halfway through.

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) Caitlin wrote: "I'm currently reading "In Such Good Company" by Carol Burnette. I have laughed out loud so much. I remember watching reruns of her show in the mornings before school. I highly recommend it even tho..."

I'm adding this to my To Read list. I grew up watching her show and I love her!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I'm reading catch-22 right now. I have to say I'm not enjoying it a lot. The characters are odd and the story is a bit jumpy. I'm hoping that as I progress farther in the book (I'm maybe 40% in) it will make more sense as the story comes to it's arch.

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) I'm working my way through Diana Gabaldon's Echo in the Bone from her Outlander series, and I just finished Professor and the Madman (about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary...so good) and Okey Ndibe's memoir Never Look an American in the Eye, which was also good. I usually have a few books going at the same time, so I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. I'm caught up with the group, so I may poke around on my bookshelves at home and pick up something that I haven't read that is just sitting there.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I just finished catch-22, since it was already read when I joined. Ive just started the final day(3rd in a series) because I requested it from the library a while back and if I don't read it now I don't know when I could get it again. Yesterday I read the old man and the sea for the first time as well. I plan on reading Ethan Frome today( these are both really short) Another member of this group mentioned the 1001 books you should read before you die list and I noticed that there is a lot of overlap with this list but I want to do that list as well.
I also want to read Anna Karenina, as I missed the read and re-read.
Im sure I will read more books not on the list as well. I have a few things I requested on my kindle from the library and I will tackle those soon too. Plus, there is the spring mini challenges and the book for April.
Its not really outside weather here yet, so I will have extra reading time.

message 17: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments I just finished “Roman Fever” by Edith Wharton. It was quite a good short story.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison | 2 comments I just finished reading Beezus and Ramona because I didn't remember reading it as a child. I'm also reading Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, which is a fun and light read.

The best book I read in the past few months, however, is The Hate U Give, and it really does demand the widest readership possible. If it doesn't become required reading for junior or senior high school students in many schools in the near future, I would be surprised.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Moving right along Im reading formerly known as food, don Quixote, the shack, the sun also rises, 1913: the year becore the storm. Im still trying to finish tender is the night( Im just not loving it). I also read the magnolia story a few days ago. i liked it a lot. It was sweet. I also read wild, astrophysics for people in a hurry, man myth messiah, the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime, after you( the sequel to me before you) and talking as fast as I can. I've also just picked up some new books from the library and cant wait to start those soon!!

message 20: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments "The Da Vinci code" from Dan Brown.

message 21: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments I'm starting "A brave new world" from Aldous Huxley tonight.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (krazikellz) | 2 comments Today I began book 1 in the Mercy Thompson series; Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. My current read is not on the list, but I am excited to read a book highly recommended by a good friend.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I just finished brave new world. I thought it was on the list but I cant find it.
I just started “in the midst of winter” by Isabel Allonde

message 24: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments @Stephanie: "Brave new world" is indeed on the list:

https://www.listchallenges.com/rory-g...

message 25: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments "The Hobbit" from J.R.R. Tolkien.

message 26: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I'm listening to Velvet Underground and Nico. NOT my thing at all but it's a Gilmore book and I needed a book starting with V for a couple of my other challenges. Haha At least it's short.

I just finished Oliver Twist and it was excellent.

message 27: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) I love listening to dramatized audio books from the list. I listened to The Crucible a couple weeks ago and it was amazing. Right now I'm listening to Moby Dick and have Hunchback of Notre Dame up next.

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I've already read the last few groups reads (Carrie - loved it; Eat Pray Love - hated it) so I'm going back and reading the group reads that I've missed... Just finished Howl.

I'm currently reading Valley of the Dolls. I'm really enjoying it, but it is taking me a very long time to read. I can't put my finger on why!

message 29: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments I'm reading "The fellowship of the ring" from Tolkien. I like it, but somehow it takes me longer to read it than other books.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasreadingnook) | 1 comments I’m currently reading “Anna Karenina” by Tolstoy. Anyone else want to join me this November?

message 31: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments I just read "Bambi, a life in the woods" from Felix Salten. (Also on the Rory Gilmore-list).

message 32: by Marianna (new)

Marianna Kleczewska | 3 comments I'm reading Swann's Way currently, if someone reads it too and would like to discuss it I will be very happy to hear from her/him.

message 33: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 36 comments I just finished Bhagavad Vita and will start with Jurassic Park from Michael Crichton.