Start by marking “The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories

The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  5,224 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
6 of the Roaring Twenties chronicler's most scintillating short stories, chosen from Flappers and Philosophers (1920) and Tales of the Jazz Age (1922). This inexpensive volume comprises "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz," "The Ice Palace," "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," "May Day," "The Jelly-Bean," and "The Offshore Pirate." Publisher's Note.
Published July 11th 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories

Ivana Books Are Magic
After reading this one, I must say that Fitzgerald seems to be just as brilliant when it comes to writing short stories. I always thought of him as a novelist, but now I see that is not where his talent ends. The Great Gatsby and Tender Is the Night are, to this day, one of my favourite American novels. He is a great writer, no doubt about that. I will probably attempt to read all of his works, as I usually do, when I really really like some writer. People always talk about Fitzgerald as a write ...more
Ivana
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition consists of five short stories. They always talk about Fitzgerald as a writer that defined the Jazz Age and etc but for me that is not that important. What draws me to his writing is probably the way he creates his characters, sometimes managing to capture their very essence. I’ll give you a fair warning. This is not going to be a short review.

First things first.

The Diamond As Big As The Ritz 5/5

Beautifully written and absolutely unsettling because of its implications. One of them:
Ghost of the Library
This was actually a revisiting of an old dear friend - and i so am glad i did it!
Everyone always talks, raves, pens essays, articles and books about F. Scotts Great Gatsby or Tender is the Night...yet somehow his short stories are always "forgotten", even by those that are fans of him.
True, Fitzgerald didn't think of himself as a good writer of short stories, and admitted to doing them for the money...and yet, in most of them you will find, in a more youthful less bitter manner, the many featur
André
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
Não me apressei a ler este livro, antes preferi saboreá-lo moderadamente, a passo e passo. Afinal é uma colectânea e tal oferece-nos a vantagem de podermos ler um conto hoje e iniciar a leitura de outro na semana que se segue sem perder o fio à meada, o que o torna realmente agradável.

As histórias são muito boas. Nem todas são extraordinárias, mas fiquei com vontade de ver pelo menos três delas transformadas em narrativas mais densas ou mesmo em novelas acabadas. Depois de ler The Great Gatsby,
Jeffrey
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
The Diamond as Big as the Ritz to me is the marquee story of the 20's. The language and prose is crisp and clear, and you can image the descriptions as art direction for a tux-and-flapper-dress movie or a series of art deco murals. The story is a great blend of high adventure as well as exploitive campiness. While the other stories still have that distinct art deco elegance, the Diamond story is just so over the top, like a Hollywood blockbuster.
Sergio
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories as big as life.
بسام عبد العزيز
لم أتوقع الكثير عندما بدأت المجموعة القصصية.. لكن للغرابة كنت جيدة بما يكفي..
سكوت فيتزجيرالد يعري المجتمع الأمريكي.. طغيان المادة.. سيطرة المظاهر.. غياب الحس الإنساني.. الحلم الأمريكي الذي تحول إلى قيمة المجتمع العليا.. كل هذا من خلال قصص قصيرة أشبه بأحداث يومية قد تحدث حتى في أي مكان آخر و ليس بالضرورة أمريكا..

ماسة في حجم الريتز :
ماذا يحدث عندما تمتلك جبل كامل من الماس؟! ببساطة إنك تملك الأرض بمن عليها.. انك تملك البشر.. إنك تملك الحياة بأكملها.. الجميع يتحول إلى سلعة في يدك.. الجميع تراهم مج
Romaissa
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second read for Fitzgerald and i usually prefer novels, but i enjoyed these stories. This edition of the book contains five stories and each one tackles with a different aspect from the American society in the 1920s.
In the first story, "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" Fitzgerald gave us an image about the wealthy poeple and how they can control everything and everyone with money. Though he always made his rich characters seem fascinating, i sensed a bit of satire behind the lines, li
Irene Chia
This is a story about a school boy, John Unger, from a respectable rich family in Hades, a small town on the Mississippi River. The period is early 1920s or thereabouts. At 16, John was sent to St Midas’ school in Boston for a New England education which is a necessity for all promising young men.

At the school, he met Percy Washington, a very rich student, even by St Midas’ standard, judging by his clothes. However, Percy stayed aloof from everyone and the only person he was slightly friendly w
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I prefer Ernest Hemingway over F. Scott Fitzgerald, and still do. However, this gem of short stories will have me reading more novels by Fitzgerald. It may be my own prejudice that has kept me from reading a lot of Fitzgerald, since Hemingway thought he was a drunken hack.

What I saw in these short stories, shows me that my favorite author may have been wrong. Don't look for any happy endings in any of the stories here; there aren't any. Bernice Bobs Her Hair has the most satisfying ending. Hell
Nicholas
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
F Scott never fails to amaze me. Absolutely brilliant stories. Definitely an instant favourite.
Olivier Aarieux
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Understand that in life, what results you achieve won't resemble the ends you sought. Wield this understanding in your eye, look at hopeful people with either pity or malice, depending on your assessment of their character, whether they believed in some good or brought bad along their long-drawn plight.
Ben
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jewels are absolutely useless. What purpose do they serve other than to decorate? to pronounce excess? Is there any other possession adorned with such all-consuming envy while simultaneously void of all practical use? Jewels and gold are as intrinsically meaningless in backing wealth as numbers on paper. They have cavernous souls which prey mischievously on Man's affinity for power. They fill the void of there existence by manipulating the weakness and vice of mankind. They are the instigator; a ...more
Chinchilla_clouds
The reality of Fitzgerald's often unusual stories!
Personal favorites "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" for its dazzling descriptions and "Bernice Bobs Her Hair", which seemed to me as one of the most intense psychographies in literature I have ever read.
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
*edit* Someone checked it out today, and I told him I liked Fitgerald's writing, mentioning Great Gatsby. He was like, 'Great Gatsby? Couldn't get into it.' Are you serious?? Well, if you didn't like that one, it's pretty much guaranteed you won't be into this, either! F. Scott's characterizations are all pretty much interchangable, and the stories are shallow fluff, but it all represents the opulent 20's before the Great Depression-as it were. Take it or leave it!

F. Scott Fitzgerald is great re
Denise Mullins
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
In this collection of short stories, the author shows his contempt for those with wealth, power, or pedigree and the havoc they would inflict on Everyman if given the opportunity. The antagonist in "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" is a particularly mean-spirited bitch who surrounds herself with the beautiful young people devoid of any common decency or compassion for an outsider. While she is given her comeuppance, the lengths the title character goes to obtain it is traumatic.
In "The Diamond as Big as
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I made a perfect fool of myself while I was reading the first short story from this edition (Diamond As Big As The Ritz). It just couldn't be helped because the spectacular descriptions ignited a spark in my already far too avid imagination and people around me started eyeing me suspiciously once they realized I was responsible for the short bursts of either laughter or audible elation (the characters bathed in rosewater, folks!). Overall, I liked these short stories better than the ones I had r ...more
A. Dawes
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Fitzgerald is one of my favourite writers and his short work is every bit equal to his longer length novels. The Diamond as Big as the Ritz takes Fitzgerald into the realms of the fantastic, with a rich, supercilious dynasty, in an opulent hideaway. Their vast wealth means that they are aloof and precluded from a world that they've exploited through their greedy and bullish capitalist ideals. That is until all Hell breaks loose. This is a wonderful novella with a scathing attack on capitalism, c ...more
Jonathan Dunsky
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Imagine a family finding a diamond as big as a mountain and living off that diamond bit by bit over the decades.

Now, a friend of the family's young son has come for a visit and he discovers how the family has hidden its riches - to prevent the diamond prices from plummeting - how they still employ slave labor well into the 20th century, and how they lead their life.

Is it a social critique of the glitzy 20s or merely a good story? I find it to be both.

The other stories in this collection are also
strawberry miso
I loved this collection. I really think it's F. Scott Fitzgerald at his best. The prose was quite enchanting and surprisingly easy to read. The descriptions and details of each story were beautiful and delicate, and each tale expressed such a quintessential aspect of human nature. I enjoyed these so much better than The Great Gatsby. I hope Fitzgerald has some more novels that I can glorify in. And cry buckets after reading. Because that's what happened with each short story in here.

Torie
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought I wanted to read more F. Scott Fitzgerald when I was biking through the South of France a few weeks ago and kept recognizing the names of towns from, I think, Tender is the Night. So I borrowed this book from someone in Barcelona when I was feeling too lazy to read Spanish. The short stories didn't do much for me and I am trying to remember if I actually liked the book that took place on the Cote d'Azur...
Susana
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've never been much of a Fitzgerald's fan, but I have to admit he knows how to play the words and in these stories we get a good look at how well he does it. It's better than a sound of the piano tenderly following the keyboard as it plays Fur Elise or the way nature blooms into spring as easily as it becomes naked wtih winter. I strongly recommend this one collection of tales. Instead of reading Tender is the Night and become quite unimpressed(it is a little like reading a gossip magazine with ...more
Jenny
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The literary equivalent of a handful of diamonds. "The Offshore Pirate" was my favorite but they were all wonderful: "The Diamond As Big As the Ritz," "The Ice Palace," "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," "The Jelly-bean," "May Day." Fitzgerald's genius is evident in his short stories more than in any of his novels (save Gatsby, of course).
Benjamin
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Actually 3.5 stars, a book full of great stories. But my favourites are the cut glass bowl and may day. Sometimes just a bit boring. But I really enjoyed reading this. I now have a really good idea on Fitzgerald's ways of writing and to know if I am a fan.
Maryana Matsyuk
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Diamond..." is the best and the rest ones are great as well
Amy
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Whitney
A Diamond As Big As the Ritz is my favorite F. Scott story. I think you'll see why.
Muhammad Nusair
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
عنميتشين أهلك يا فيتزجيرالد
Charles
This collection, in my opinion, offers a great selection of Fitzgerald's short stories from different periods, which, therefore, explore, or complement, most of the major thematic concerns that made his novels so famous.

While Fitzgerald was not too proud of his short stories, he criticized 'May Day' for example, in his Preface to 'Tales of the Jazz Age', complaining that he was unsuccessful in interweaving the story's segments into one fluent whole, they are still much more than just an enterta
David
Feb 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having read The Great Gatsby some years ago, and been unable (in spades) to understand the fuss, I thought to give a further chance to F. Scott Fitzgerald. Sometimes, I thought, a writer you dislike from years back says something to you when read years later. Sorry to say, with The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories, in the Books Box Jury all three of my votes come decidedly down on the MISS side.

The Cut Glass Bowl is a bowl given to Mrs Harold Piper as a malicious wedding gift by an
Raj
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I'm completely unfamiliar with Fitzgerald's work, so when I found this collection of short stories in a charity shop, I thought it was a great way to introduce myself. I sort of wish I hadn't. I really didn't enjoy this collection at all. Every time I finished a story, I'd go and look at the table of contents to see how many more I still had, and that's never a good sign.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Fitzgerald is a bad writer, far from it, but I just didn't enjoy his stories Most of them are
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover 2 189 Nov 27, 2016 09:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combined 3 25 May 07, 2016 09:55AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald 5 30 Apr 16, 2015 09:49AM
The Short Story May Day 1 32 Mar 23, 2009 06:19PM
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Twenty-one Stories
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Same Door, Short Stories
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
“Under the stars,' she repeated. 'I never noticed the stars before. I always thought of them as great big diamonds that belonged to someone. Now they frighten me. They make me feel that it was all a dream, all my youth.'

It was a dream,' said John quietly. 'Everybody's youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness.'

How pleasant then to be insane!'

So I'm told,' said John gloomily. 'I don't know any longer. At any rate, let us love for a while, for a year or so, you and me. That's a form of divine drunkenness that we can all try. There are only diamonds in the whole world, diamonds and perhaps the shabby gift of disillusion. Well, I have that last and I will make the usual nothing of it.”
68 likes
“Everybody's youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness.'
'How pleasant then to be insane!”
64 likes