SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Challenges > Task Nominations: Walt Disney Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:26AM) (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Walt Disney Challenge
The below movies were all produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. The group must come up with one task per movie and you need to select 25 of the 30 listed movies to complete the challenge.

1 Snow White
2 Pinochio
3 Fantasia
4 Dumbo
5 Bambi
6 Cinderella
7 Alice in Wonderland
8 Peter Pan
9 Lady and the Tramp
10 Sleeping Beauty
11 101 Dalmations
12 The Jungle Book
13 The Aristocats
14 Robin Hood
15 Winnie the Pooh
16 The Rescuers
17 The Little Mermaid
18 Beauty and the Beast
19 Aladin
20 The Lion King
21 Pocahontas
22 The Hunchback of Notre Dame
23 Hercules
24 Mulan
25 Tarzan
26 Lilo & Stitch
27 Bolt
28 The Princess and the Frog
29 Tangled
30 Frozen

Everyone may nominate 2 challenges from now until Sunday. Then I will open the nominations again until we have 30 tasks. Please nominate in the order of the movies. So the first person to nominate will nominate tasks for 1. Snow White and 2. Pinnochio.

Please stick to these general rules:
- Tasks may not be set for graphic novels or books that are less than 150 pages long.
- Don't nominate tasks that are unfairly restrictive, e.g. forcing participants to acquire expensive or obscure books, or find books set in their home town (it's easy for some, impossible for others).
- Since this challenge is not genre-specific, don't limit your tasks to any one genre.
- Be creative.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Janice (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:24AM) (new)

Task so far:

1. Snow White - Read a book with an apple on the cover or mentioned in the book.
2. Pinochio - Read a book where the main character tells a lie and is caught out on it.
3. Fantasia - Read a book where the main character is a wizard/magician or is an apprentice/intern.
4. Dumbo - Read a book that is set in a circus.
5. Bambi - Read a book where a character's mother or father die or are dead.
6. Cinderella - Read a rags to riches book where the main character ends up better than they started off as. eg. a normal person becomes a king/queen at the end of the book.
7. Alice in Wonderland - Read a book where the main character discovers or is transported to an alternate world.
8. Peter Pan - Read a book where a person discovers they are special in some way and defeats a 'baddy'.
9. Lady and the Tramp - Read a book where a woman/man falls for a woman/man deemed 'beneath' them. e.g princess falls for a servant, prince falls for a commoner etc.
10. Sleeping Beauty - Read a book where someone wakes up from a coma or a lengthy sleep (e.g. cyrosleep).
11. 101 Dalmations - Read a book with a number in the title or where one of the main characters are held imprisoned.
12. The Jungle Book - Read a book by an author who won the Nobel Prize for Literature or a book closely connected to India during the Raj.
13. The Aristocats - Read a book by a French author or set in Paris.
14. Robin Hood - Read a book about thieves, or where archery is a large theme, or a book with a bow and arrow on the cover.
15. Winnie the Pooh - Read a book about friends, or a book about bears or a bear on the cover.
16. The Rescuers - Read a book where the main character helps someone in need.
17. The Little Mermaid - Read a book that has a mermaid as a character or takes place under water for a lot of the book.
18. Beauty and the Beast - Read a retelling of this. GR Best retellings of Beauty and the Beast
19. Aladdin - Read a book set in a desert, or a book with/about Djinn.
20. Lion King - Read a book set in Africa, deals with wildlife or has a lion on the cover.
21. Pocahontas - Read a book which features Native Americans/by a Native American author or set in the United States prior to 1900.
22. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Read a book set in or about the Renaissance.
23. Hercules - Read a book where a character is the son/daughter of a god. Or where a god, half-god is the main character.
24. Mulan - Read a book set in Japan or where a character of one gender disguises themselves as a member of another gender.
25. Tarzan - Read a book set in the jungle or a book about someone having to cope in a new environment
26. Lilo & Stitch - Read a book where the relationship between siblings is important to the plot.
27. Bolt - Read a book with a dog on the cover or where one of the main characters owns a dog.
28 . The Princess and the Frog - Read a book where the main character is a person of colour or is set in New Orleans.
29. Tangled - Read a book about someone going on a journey.
30. Frozen - Read a book set in a cold climate or deals with sisters or has snow on the cover.

message 3: by Janice (last edited Oct 10, 2016 11:18PM) (new)

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling:

1 Snow White - Read a book with an apple on the cover or mentioned in the book
2 Pinochio - Read a book where the main character tells a lie and is caught out on it

message 4: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) | 0 comments 3. Alice in Wonderland: Read a book where the main character discovers or is transported to an alternate world.
4. Sleeping Beauty: Read a book where someone wakes up from a coma.

message 5: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2261 comments Mod
13 The Aristocats - Read a book by a French author or set in Paris
27 Bolt - Read a book with a dog on the cover or where one of the main characters own a dog

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
5. Bambi - Read a book where a character's mother or father die or are dead.
6. Cinderella - Read a rags to riches book where the main character ends up better than they started off as. eg. a normal person becomes a king/queen at the end of the book.

message 7: by Jax (last edited Oct 11, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Vernice wrote: "Read a book where someone wakes up from a coma." Maybe extend that to other kinds of lengthy sleep - such as cryosleep or similar? (for the Fantasy and Sci-Fi geeks) :)

22. The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Read a book set in or about the Renaissance.
14. Robin Hood: Read a book about thieves, or where archery is a large theme, or a book with a bow and arrow on the cover.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments Winnie the Pooh - Read a book about friends, or a book about bears or a bear on the cover

message 9: by Janice (new)

Another round of nominations is now open. You can nominate another 2 tasks until Sunday.

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
8 Peter Pan - Read a book where a person discovers they are special in some way and defeats a 'baddy'.

9 Lady and the Tramp - Read a book where a woman/man falls for a woman/man deemed 'beneath' them. e.g princess falls for a servant, prince falls for a commoner etc.

message 11: by Janice (new)

3 Fantasia - Read a book where the main character is a wizard/magician or is an apprentice/intern.

4 Dumbo - Read a book that is set in a circus.

message 12: by Jax (last edited Oct 17, 2016 03:20AM) (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
18 Beauty and the Beast - Read a retelling of this.
GR Best retellings of Beauty and the Beast
19 Aladdin - Read a book set in a desert, or a book with/about Djinn.

message 13: by Carolien (last edited Oct 17, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

12 The Jungle Book - Read a book by an author who won the Nobel Prize for Literature or a book closely connected to India during the Raj.

21 Pocahontas - Read a book which feature Native Americans/by a Native American author or set in the United States prior to 1900.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments 20 Lion King - Read a book set in Africa, deals with wildlife or has a lion on the cover

30 Read a book set in a cold climate or deals with sisters or has snow on the cover

message 15: by Carolien (new)

I'm going to be running around for the rest of the day so here's my contribution so that we can finish the tasks.

101 Dalmations: Read a book with a number in the title or where one of the main characters are held imprisoned.

Mulan: Read a book set in Japan or where a character of one gender disguises themselves as a member of another gender.

message 16: by Janice (new)

And another round of nominations is now open. You can nominate another 2 tasks until Sunday (or until all the movies are finished).

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
17 The Little Mermaid - Read a book that has a mermaid as a character or takes place under water for a lot of the book.

23 Hercules - Read a book where a character is the son/daughter of a god. Or where a god, half-god is the main character.

message 18: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) | 0 comments 26 Lilo & Stitch - Read a book where the relationship between siblings is important to the plot.
27 Bolt - Read a book where the main charachter is put outside of thier comfort zone.

message 19: by Janice (new)

Hi Vernice, we already have a task for Bolt. The outstanding movies are:

16 The Rescuers
25 Tarzan
28 The Princess and the Frog
29 Tangled

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 770 comments 25. Tarzan - Read a book set in the jungle or a book about someone having to cope in a new environment

29. Tangled - Read a book about someone going on a journey or

message 21: by Janice (new)

16 The Rescuers - Read a book where the main character helps someone in need.

28 The Princess and the Frog - Read a book where the main character is a person of colour or is set in New Orleans.

message 22: by Janice (new)

That's it! Looks like we have a great selection of tasks.

Reserve your spot for the challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by Carolien (last edited Oct 25, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

This is a lovely list of tasks. If anybody needs inspiration, here's some recommendations:

Fantasia - try any by Ben Aaronovitch (if you like Dresden files, these are better. If you dislike Dresden files (that's me), these are much better)

Alice in Wonderland - my latest addiction Kingston Raine and the Grim Reaper.

Cinderella - Waking up in Vegas - I adore Romy Sommer's romances.

Bambi or Sleeping Beauty - If I Stay (I wish I knew where my copy disappeared to)

The Aristocats - one of my favourite police procedurals discovered this year is The 7th Woman. I'm planning on reading the second book in the series for this task.

Pocahontas - one of the best discoveries in my quest to read a book by a female author published in each decade since 1800 - Ramona. It's beautiful.

Mulan - planning to try Claws of the Cat

Tarzan - going to indulge myself with another new author that I discovered this year A New Life. Highly recommend her series starting with Delayed Death.

Princess and the frog - planning to try Murder In The Rue Dauphine.

Robin Hood - Little Elvises (or you can start at Crashed).

I might read Circus Shoes with my daughters for Dumbo.

Frozen: I have never felt as physically cold while reading a book as I did with Cold Granite. Only book I can remember reading where the author apologises to the local tourism board...

Anybody got any other nice recommendations? (I need some for the rags to riches tasks

message 24: by Janice (new)

Thanks for the suggestions Carolien. I need to do some planning.

There's a list of rags to riches stories if you want to check them out:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 25: by Janice (new)

For A Little Mermaid, if you don't want to read a mermaid story you could probably read something like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

message 26: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
@Janice: For interest sake...
For the Little Mermaid task - would something like Nicole Peeler's "Jane True" series count?
Jane isn't a mermaid, but she is part Selkie? And there are other water-based fey in the series...

message 27: by Janice (new)

Jax wrote: "@Janice: For interest sake...
For the Little Mermaid task - would something like Nicole Peeler's "Jane True" series count?
Jane isn't a mermaid, but she is part Selkie? And there a..."

I'm going to leave that up to Lu to answer as she came up with the task.

message 28: by Jax (last edited Oct 26, 2016 03:12AM) (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
*Facepalm*
She did too!
Sorry Lu! For reasons unknown, I thought Janice nominated the task...
(Because, I couldn't possibly have scrolled up slightly to check that!)
Shakes head at self

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Selkie works for me :)