Start by marking “Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)

Circus Shoes (Shoes #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  780 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Threatened with life in separate orphanages when their aunt dies, two children run away to search for their uncle who works for a circus and find that they can become a part of the hard work and colorful performances of the tenting season.
Published September 1st 1985 by Yearling (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Circus Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus Shoes

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The first of the "Shoe books" I ever read, and the only one I had access to growing up. I read it over and over, which tells you how good it is...in those days there were so many books to read that only a select few were re-reads for me.

Peter and the oddly-named Santa (not a normal English girl's name for the time, but then neither was "Noel"), born a year apart but as close as twins, were orphaned as tiny children and raised by their parsimonious aunt to believe themselves a large cut above eve
Katie
I read this as a kid, but I think just one time. (There's a book personality test for you! Does "just one time" mean something to you or do you read virtually all books just one time?)

Anyway, I like this as a story of belonging. That's the aspect that stuck with me all the years. (view spoiler)
Amber Scaife
An orphaned brother and sister run away from the prospect of being sent to separate orphanages and to their uncle, who works as a clown in a circus. They spend their summer traveling with the circus and hoping that they can win their way into their uncle's good graces and so stay with him once the tenting season is over.
Slow moving in places, but still a comfy little read.
Rosa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books, thirties
Love's conditional, kids. You have to earn it.
Sallie
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
Stayed up late last night to finish this book. Loved it! I love the different 'voices' of her characters and the way she presented the circus family. As a lover of animals, I'm always a bit leary of books about animals since I'm sure one or more will die, and I'll be devastated. I loved the way the circus people explained to Peter and Santa that the horses, dogs, elephants, sea lions, lions had 'moods' as do humans, and talk to each other even if we can't understand them etc etc etc.

I was kind o
LH Johnson
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Noel Streatfield had a handle on what made "working" children tick. Her sympathetic portrayal of characters who take to the stage, the circus, the ice-rink, is consistently smart and realistic. Circus Shoes is no exception. Peter and his rather splendidly named sister Santa face an uncertain future following certain events and as a result of this, they quite literally run away to the circus. What's more realistic for me and appealing in this story is Peter. Santa's ultimate fate is somewhat inev ...more
Rachel
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written novel about some kids who are taught to think of themselves as better and smarter than others but are actually quite ignorant and prideful. Due to their silly aunt's death,they go to live with their uncle in the circus and learn the truth about themselves,and as a result,become better kids than they were plus they learn to work hard at learning a talent so that they can stay with their uncle and the circus,which they like.
Morticia Adams
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was called The Circus is Coming when I read it. I don't get that every book by Noel STreatfeild on Good Reads has been changed to include "shoes" in the title, presumably for the sake of symmetry with the two she wrote called Tennis Shoes and Ballet Shoes - totally dumb and unnecessary!

Anyway, Noel Streatfeild was my Enid Blyton (whom everyone else loved but I hated) when I was young - I loved nearly all her books (I do remember one absolute stinker though)
Sally
Hooray, another new Noel Streatfeild for me! This one I absolutely loved. Such a charming, quick read. Peter isn't always likeable but he's at least interesting, and often mockable. I'm still wondering what Santa could possibly be short for too! The adventure getting to the circus was so much fun to read about, as was seeing the children fitting in - or otherwise. ;)
Drianne
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Okay book. Lots of charming details. Nothing, however, *happens*.
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Minnow on the Say
  • The Little Bookroom
  • Ash Road
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke, #3)
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • The Ship That Flew
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • The Haunting
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Grinny
  • Halinka
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, was an author best known and loved for her children's books, including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB p ...more
More about Noel Streatfeild...

Shoes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ballet Shoes (Shoes, #1)
  • Tennis Shoes (Shoes, #2)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Party Shoes (Shoes, #5)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7)
  • Family Shoes (Shoes, #8)
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • New Shoes (Shoes, #10)
  • Traveling Shoes (Shoes, #11)