What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Strange Forces (Strange Forces #1)
This topic is about Strange Forces
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1990s YA fantasy series w/mystical creature that gives children powers. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (last edited Oct 06, 2016 01:26AM) (new)

Helen Gaskell | 6 comments Hi - asking on behalf of my husband. He's been thinking about this for months and Google is not helping him.

He read the first and last of this American series of 3-5 books in the 1990s - it was about young adults who come across a creature who is the last of its kind. He seems to think its name was something like "Ryul", or that it began with an S and that it was based on a creature from Native American mythology.

Anyway they help the creature escape from a villain, perhaps called The Collector, and in return it grants them magical powers. One is terribly unlucky but invincible, and can spread his bad luck in a field around him. Another can squirt some kind of fluid out of his body (ew) and my husband thinks this guy had the name "Jeremy". Another became a werewolf.

The final book featured the twin brother of The Collector, possibly called The Gamesmaster, who gave the group a challenge - they accept but he then takes away their powers and tells them it's a fight to the death or something similar.

He said he remembers the cover of the books as featuring CGI-style graphics of a creature leaping forward. There was also an index of the characters at the back which featured drawings of what they looked like.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

message 2: by James (new)

James | 2 comments Hi all - It is I, the Husband with more info
I remember reading this towards the end of the 90s, may even be just after. Reading level was teenage/tweener.
I believe the name Fairchild was important as either the name of the town or the name of the collector. Maybe even both.

message 3: by Krazykiwi (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:52AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments That would have to be the Strange Matter series.

"Join the students of Fairfield Junior High and the renegade lizard-monster, Rilo Buru, in a race against the Collector and his strange forces on an adventure that will change the natural and the unnatural world forever."

Strange Forces 1 is the first book (there are 16 total that I can find)

The series here on GR is a disaster most of the books are mistitled and only under one or the other author, so I'm going to work on cleaning that up.

Apparently they are long out of print, but available to read on Kindle Unlimited (the Amazon lending library thingy).

ETA: This is a better start: No Substitutions
Also the entire series is a lot longer than either you or I remembered!
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4087...

The Strange Forces one I linked first though, is part of a 4 book spinoff series, which seems to match what you remember most precisely.

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen Gaskell | 6 comments That's it! Thank you so much! He's very happy indeed. How terrific.

message 5: by James (new)

James | 2 comments perfect, thanks for this.