Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
This topic is about Crooked Kingdom
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Bardugo, Leigh - Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) - Informal Buddy Read; Start December 15, 2016 **REVISIT** 6 July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Book synopsis:
Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Ladiibbug Hi Eunice!

Just picked up Six of Crows at library! Will begin tonight.

Have you read Leigh Bardugo's The Grisha trilogy? I read it last year and each book was a 5++ star read -- topping the best of the best Urban Fantasy I've had the pleasure to read.

I've been ***SO*** anxious to read SOC, but have begun reading series back to back or closer together. I am VERY EXCITED to dive into this tonight!!

Buddy read for SOC and/or Crooked Kingdom still open for anyone interested.

message 6: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice | 497 comments Leigh Bardugo is a new author for me. I did plan to read her other book sometime in the future. A probably distant future because I plan on emptying that to-read list. At least some of it. The two books' BR threads are separate, so... we should probably separate the two books. We go on the other thread first before here.

Ladiibbug Eunice wrote: "Leigh Bardugo is a new author for me. I did plan to read her other book sometime in the future. A probably distant future because I plan on emptying that to-read list. At least some of it. The two ..."

Oops, I meant to post in the Six of Crows (book 1 of 2) thread.

message 8: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice | 497 comments Ladiibbug wrote: "Eunice wrote: "Leigh Bardugo is a new author for me. I did plan to read her other book sometime in the future. A probably distant future because I plan on emptying that to-read list. At least some ..."

I'll be moving to the other thread now. :))

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14346 comments Mod
Are you both still intending to read this one? I'd like to get to it in December if you're up for it - I just need to refresh myself on book 1 first as it has been a while

message 10: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I think I'll join you in December.

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke wrote: "I think I'll join you in December."

Great!

message 12: by LB (new) - added it

LB (raceforthepuck) | 228 comments When are y'all looking to start your read in December? Have had this checked out forever and looking for an excuse to finally read it if you're looking for others to join. :)

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have it on reserve at the library, looks like I should get it for mid December if that works for everyone.
If we say 15 Dec?

message 14: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Great, I think I can fit that in with the BOM's I want to join.

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great :)

message 16: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky | 2 comments Me too

Brooke | 4 comments I planned to read this this month already so I'll join in! :)

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started this today (a bit early I know) because I had some time available.
Part One
It took me most of this part to get my head around all the characters again and remember who is who and what happened at the end of the last book. I always find myself wishing that series books would give a quick summary at the start of the last book! ;)

I'm worried for Inej, but confident that the gang will rescue her. I wonder if Bajan will turn and join them too?
That last scene was pretty tough. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh I got a notification from the library that this is due back on the 17th and someone else has it on reserve so I can't extend! Darn!
Not sure if I can finish it by then, but I'm going to try :o

Brooke | 4 comments I just started this today!

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part Two
I find I'm getting more into it now as I remember the characters and what it going on. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part Three
I'm just going to have to take a library fine and keep going (it is only 30c a day!)
(view spoiler)

message 23: by LB (new) - added it

LB (raceforthepuck) | 228 comments Up to Chapter 4: Inej (Loc 789)

I'm slowly getting up to speed with the characters and the plot again, though even with the hints sprinkled in my mind is a little fuzzy on what happened in the first novel. It's been so long since I read it and I remember I was a little disappointed when comparing it to the Grisha trilogy. My biggest question so far is do we know Retvenko from the first novel? I remember Wylan, Matthias, Inej, Kaz and Nina, but I'm drawing a complete blank on Retvenko.

While I'm not always a fan of Kaz and think his characterization is a little odd at times, I love this quote: "I'll tell you a secret, Hanna. The really bad monsters never look like monsters." (Loc 480) It works on so many levels when you compare it to real life, and to Kaz himself.

I also liked this little insight into Kaz's character: 'Kaz always spoke logic, but that didn't mean he always told truth' (Loc 634). After dealing with the election cycle here in the States, this sentence carried a lot of weight for me.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think Retvenko was from the grisha trilogy. I found this online:
"Retvenko, the former Ravkan squaller of Councilman Hoede. Since the death of Hoede, Retvenko has been working to pay off his indenture and return to Ravka to get a pardon from King Stormhund."

message 25: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I've started today and I've read part 1 and have just started part two. I like that the story starts immediately and with the plan to rescue Inej.

message 26: by LB (new) - added it

LB (raceforthepuck) | 228 comments I kind of remember them travelling by sea in the Grisha trilogy but it's been a while since I've read the books and still not ringing a bell. Thanks for the insight though! :)

message 27: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Just finished part 2 and loved the flashmob.

message 28: by LB (new) - added it

LB (raceforthepuck) | 228 comments Up to Part Three (27%)

I'd kind of forgotten on this past part how annoying (view spoiler)

The plot hasn't gripped me yet, but I will say that Inej's storyline is the most interesting. It's probably the only part that's really excited me much so far. The story feels very slow to start off, so hoping it picks up in the next part!

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree Elise with Nina and Matthias. It annoyed me

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book the other day and I've been sitting on this review because I still don't know how I felt about this sequel.
It just didn't have the pacing and "wow" of the first book. Quite a bit of time was spent on character back stories, which really should have been explored more in the first book. I also found the "Kaz is always one step ahead" a little unrealistic.
I still love Bardugo's writing, and the Grisha world, but I was ultimately not in love with this book.

message 31: by LB (new) - added it

LB (raceforthepuck) | 228 comments Up to Part Four

I'm still having a hard time getting into the plot even though I'm about 50% done now. I think my fundamental problem is that the pacing is too slow. Like Karen mentioned above, it doesn't have the "wow" factor or the progressive pacing to move the story along. I would say the majority of the novel so far has been spent on backstory and character development. While I hate a story with no development, there's a thing to be said about too much development as well. So far, Crooked Kingdom doesn't have that balance of characterization and plotting yet.

message 32: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

*********THIS BUDDY READ IS BEING REVISITED!***********

Date to start reading July 6, 2018

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1871 comments Thanks mods!

(Team Tonks)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be participating! (Team Tonks)

message 35: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice | 497 comments I’ll be participating too!

message 36: by Lexi (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 2651 comments I'll join too. (Team Lupin)

Nicole Finished the first one yesterday & I loved it, so i'm looking forward to reading this!

message 38: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix I finished the first one a while ago and never read the second one, looking forward to finally reading it!

message 39: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 677 comments I'm in from Team Tonks-a reread but this is one of my all time favorite series

Nicole Although I haven’t read the second one Teri, I foresee this being one of my favourite series as well! I loved the first book.
I also love the Shades of Magic series - have you read that one?

message 41: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 2651 comments I started a little early and am a fourth of the way through. I look forward to everyone's opinion. It has been a bit since I read the first one so it took me a little bit to remember who was whom.
(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2737 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, and am looking forward to finding out the rest of the atory. Oh, almost forgot Team Flitwick.

message 43: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 2651 comments So I finished it last night. I enjoyed it a lot though a little less than the first one since it was less of a surprise for the characters.
(view spoiler)

Nicole I’m half way through & loving it. Lots of emotional parts in this one from learning more about the characters backgrounds.

message 45: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 677 comments Nicole wrote: "Although I haven’t read the second one Teri, I foresee this being one of my favourite series as well! I loved the first book.
I also love the Shades of Magic series - have you read that one?"

I have not read it, I will look it up!

Deanna | 2737 comments Just started today and read part one.

The situation - (view spoiler)

Kaz - (view spoiler)

Inej - (view spoiler)

Nicole I just finished this one! Loved it just as much as the first. So many feelings! Jesper, Nina & Wylan; saints I love them so much ❤️

Nicole I officially have a book hangover 😆

message 49: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 677 comments So good, I didn’t find this one as good as the first but still loved it. Glad you all enjoyed! I haven’t started my reread 0.o
I hope to get to it on vacation.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1144 comments Sounds like this one is getting positive reviews as well. Hoping to start early next week, so i'll be a little late.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crooked Kingdom (other topics)
Six of Crows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leigh Bardugo (other topics)