Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > What are you reading October, 2016

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2781 comments Mod
Time is flying bad too quickly for me to catch up. I am listening to Smoke by Dan Vyleta Smoke on my iPad and Rules of Civility by Amor Towles Rules of Civility in the car.

I'm hoping to beat a library due date by reading Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8) by Alan Bradley Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd and The Imitation Game Alan Turing Decoded by Jim Ottaviani The Imitation Game: Alan Turing Decodedand continuing through Glory and the Lightning by Taylor Caldwell Glory and the Lightning and War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Linda wrote: "Time is flying bad too quickly for me to catch up. I am listening to Smoke by Dan Vyleta Smoke on my iPad and Rules of Civility by Amor Towles [book:Rules of Civility|1..."

A Reader Dear to my heart!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Robin wrote: "Linda wrote: "Time is flying bad too quickly for me to catch up. I am listening to Smoke by Dan Vyleta Smoke on my iPad and Rules of Civility by Amor Towles [book:Rules..."

I get there eventually, Robin.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments I'm reading The Wonder by Emma Donoghue by Emma Donoghue. She spoke at our local festival of books yesterday and was wonderful.

message 5: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments I'm listening to Dracula and reading Dark Matter.

Dracula by Bram Stoker Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Nadine in California (nadinekc) I'm starting The Queen of the Night tonight, while continuing to read the short stories in Her Smoke Rose Up Forever.

message 7: by Deb (new)

Deb | 92 comments Taking my time to savor every word of Born to Run
Then it's on to Affinity
Commonwealth before I get to see her on the 20th!
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Dark Matter

message 8: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments My reading has taken a shot on all levels , paper, e book and sadly audible. It's been tough. I fall asleep at night, battled bedbugs (don't get them) during the day after getting home sprayed up and down. Now I'm moving books around because I'm moving to another room. That's not the end of it. Looking forward to digging out of this hole.

message 9: by Nancy (last edited Oct 03, 2016 09:55AM) (new)

Nancy | 24 comments Robin wrote: "I'm reading The Wonder by Emma Donoghue by Emma Donoghue. She spoke at our local festival of books yesterday and was wonderful."

I saw her speak as well and she was lovely! I'm about to start Becoming Nicole, after seeing the author speak. Once again, it was a wonderful event!

message 10: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments I like the title and hope to read THE WONDER.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail | 74 comments Gerald...I hope that things settle down for you. I always enjoy your comments!

message 12: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments Thank you

message 13: by Coleen (last edited Oct 04, 2016 07:52AM) (new)

Coleen (coleena312) | 23 comments Welcome October! I'm still listening to Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and reading and listening to Rules of Civility by Amor Towles . I hope to read Madonna in a Fur Coat by Sabahattin Ali and This House is Haunted by John Boyne . I'm trying to read some of the TBR books on my shelf before it collapses :)

message 14: by Susanne (last edited Oct 04, 2016 06:47AM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments Coleen wrote: "I'm trying to read some of the TBR books on my shelf before it collapses :) "

Right now I literally have 8 books stacked on by nightstand. EIGHT! Considering I only read four books last month, I'm not sure I'll get all of them read by the end of October, but I'm sure going to try!

On my Nightstand
Dracula by Bram Stoker Dark Matter by Blake Crouch The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving Night Film by Marisha Pessl The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake

message 15: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments Four books a month! You should be proud of that. Probably more then most people. Congratulations!

message 16: by Coleen (last edited Oct 05, 2016 06:16AM) (new)

Coleen (coleena312) | 23 comments I agree! Four books in a month is awesome! I wish I could name 8 books on my nightstand. There are hundreds of unread books in my house and yet I keep buying them!

It looks like you've got some awesome choices there! I love, love, love Shadow of the Wind and The One in a Million Boy!

message 17: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments Right now I don't have a nightstand!

message 18: by Coleen (new)

Coleen (coleena312) | 23 comments Gerald wrote: "Right now I don't have a nightstand!"

Me neither - my nightstand is a pile of books!

message 19: by Linda (new)

I just finished Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd. Flavia does not show up often enough. I need the next one.

message 20: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments Gerald wrote: "Four books a month! You should be proud of that. Probably more than most people. Congratulations!"

Colleen wrote: "I agree! Four books in a month is awesome!"

Thanks! Books are my TV, but I'm a slow reader. I'll be lucky to finish the five that I had planned on reading this month much less the extra three that hopped into my hand when I went to the library.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Started Trump Revealed An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power by Michael Kranish Trump Revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power as if I don't already know he's not my choice.

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I just finished The Nix The Nix by Nathan Hill on audio and loved it.

In the Country: Stories In the Country Stories by Mia Alvar remains my palette cleanser between novels. I'm on the last story, but have a few other collections ready to go, including The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu and Fortune Smiles Fortune Smiles by Adam Johnson .

In print, I'm halfway through Problems Problems by Jade Sharma .

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments I will likely finish Winter Storms by Elin Hilderbrand today -- I'm a sucker for a series and had to find out what happened to the characters. Nutshell by Ian McEwan was on the new book rack at the library last night -- it sounds bizarre, from the little I've read about it, but I'm going to give it a go. :-)

message 25: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 100 comments If I could get my bookstand (which is by the computer rather than by the bed) cleaned and organized I might be able to figure out what I have to in my to be read pile. I do have a small bookcase by my bed though.

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie | 241 comments Just finished Homegoing. Loved it!! Now on to Before the Fall.

message 27: by C. John (last edited Oct 08, 2016 03:05AM) (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 100 comments Took three mysteries to Vancouver last weekend and finished off two of them
Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5) by Lee Goldberg which I had started reading earlier
Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die by Hazel Holt which I read entirely over the weekend and
Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4) by Jennie Bentley which I started but have yet to finish. May take it to bowling tomorrow.
I have also pulled up from downstairs A Case for Infant Baptism (Worship) by Colin Buchanan to read

message 28: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A I am reading for my bookclub: Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Mycroft Holmes

For my other bookclub formed by friends at work: The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich The Midwife of Venice

It's going to be hard with two bookclubs but I'm going to try

Listening on my phone: Little Women Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

And still listening in the car: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt The Goldfinch it's good but really long

message 29: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments Mycroft Holmes written by Jabber. The Goldfinch is a tough literary novel that I had a hard time reading and was grateful to finish. It was all over the place.

message 30: by Emgee (new)

Emgee  | 33 comments I still have Stephen King's IT It by Stephen King on my Currently Reading list. I've been distracted by the books I find at my local library! I've just started Elizabeth Taylor's The Soul of Kindness. The Soul Of Kindness by Elizabeth Taylor

message 31: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 100 comments I can sympathize with the library problem. Until my fines got too high I kept taking things out of our local library and not reading books I already own.

message 32: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 100 comments Finished off the last of the mysteries and a bit more than halfway through the book on Infant Baptism. Stared a book yesterday at bowling Venus In Danger. More light reading. Since I am doing some indexing for a comic book site I do not have a as much time to read as I used to.

message 33: by Gail (new)

Gail | 74 comments Several books that I can recommend that I have recently read...some old and some new.
Never Let Me Go
Barkskins
Bel Canto
The Magician's Assistant
My Brilliant Friend
The Story of a New Name
I am looking forward to Book 3 and Book 4 of Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan Series. Did you hear that her identity has been outed?
I am currently listening to The Nightingale. Is it considered YA?

message 35: by C. John (last edited Oct 17, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 100 comments Started a book Convergence Infinite Earths, Book One by Jerry Ordway today that is checked out of the library on my wife's card (she is the only one without a large amount of fines owing) so I figure I need to get it read also indexed a graphic novel Shamballa by Alan Grant that I think I shall add to my read this month (hopefully) stack.

message 36: by Britany (new)

Britany | 541 comments Back from vacation so a couple to catch up on:

Finished Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson by Jenny Lawson 4 stars. Another wonderfully funny and poignant account of the author's struggle with depression. Highly recommend the audio version read by the author.

also finished Good as Gone by Amy Gentry by Amy Gentry 3 Stars. I wanted this thriller to be as good as I had anticipated, but the ending fell apart for me, and the the chapter layout was confusing at times.

message 37: by Linda (new)

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee Pachinko I haven't gotten too far, but this is the book that was mailed to the attendees of this weekend's Hachette Book Brunch this Saturday.

message 39: by Britany (new)

Britany | 541 comments Finished Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell by Rainbow Rowell-- 4 Stars.

This one brought back all the awkwardness of teenage love.

My Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Britany (new)

Britany | 541 comments Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera by Milan Kundera-- 3 Stars.

Simple story with philosophical undertones that I'm not entirely sure I understood.

My Review:

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 272 comments I started HOMEGOING on the plane to VA. last week, but I'll t will leak into November. So good so far!

Nadine in California (nadinekc) Just finished Nutshell by Ian McEwan . Here's my review: