Start by marking “Eleanor & Park” as Want to Read:

Grca badge winner
Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on
Published February 26th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
    Eleanor & Park: Exclusive Special Edition
    Release date: Oct 04, 2016
    #1 New York Times Best Seller!

"Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it's like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it's like to

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 11186 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 23 - Mar 30, 2017

Countries available: US and CA

Format: Print Book

read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor & Park, please sign up.

Kai Its totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic…moreIts totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic unless it was significant in some way? Plus, if it were that would be some crazy foreshadowing genuineness.
    Also, reading comics together was the beginning of their relationship and a big part of their life together. Its simple, beautiful and would be pretty brilliant writing. (less)
    Marina The Spanish translation actually says there were two words... And "I love you" has two words in Spanish ("te quiero").

Just my two (or three xD) cents.

Steph Sinclair
    Should I break out in song and dance to "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep?" One lonely star. I'm just as surprised as you are, considering I just KNEW going into Eleanor & Park that I would love it, love it, love it. What reason would I have to believe otherwise? Almost all of my friends loved this book and have sworn fealty to the Goddess of Feels and Might, Rainbow Rowell. And I get it because she is a pretty awesome person and I think she is totally lovely. So trust me when I say I REALLY wanted to ...more
    Katrina Passick Lumsden
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you've experienced that first love - that heart-wringing, soul-squeezing, crush-the-air-out-of-your-lungs-whenever-you're-apart first love - this book will bitch slap your feels all to hell.

I love it. I love its warmth and its vibrancy, its heartache and its pain, its humor, its meanness, the ugliness, the beauty, the crying, the laughter, the sarcasm. I love Eleanor and I love Park, and I love that there's still a tiny chance for them...and for everyone whose first love was torn away. Ev
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    Mar 15, 2013 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
    HOLY BATMAN THAT ENDING. I'M A MESS. THAT HURT, BUT IT DIDN'T AT THE SAME TIME. WHAT IS THIS FEELING EVEN? NYEAAHHH.
    Cinda
    May 30, 2013 Cinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ya, diverse
    I've often said that nobody should write for teens who doesn't remember what it was like to be one. Rainbow Rowell remembers, and has captured it beautifully in this book.
    Emily May
    Oct 15, 2012 Emily May rated it liked it
    Shelves: young-adult, romance, arc, 2012
    He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
    "I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered.

Three stars is not a wholly negative rating but I have to admit that I'm disappointed with this one. Eleanor & Park has enjoyable parts, but the only real difference I can see between this and Pushing the Limits i
    Duchess Nicole

READ THIS QUOTE, MY ROMANTIC HEARTED FOOLS...READ IT AND LET YOUR HEART GO PITTER PAT...
    `*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~
    ““I don't like you, Park," she said, sounding for a second like she actually meant it. "I..." - her voice nearly disappeared - "think I live for you."
    He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
    "I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since
    Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    I fully admit that I'm a sucky book reviewer. This book for me was so personal that this review is just for me.
    Eleanor is just that girl. The weird one that people pick on. Who knows exactly why? She doesn't stand up for herself, she doesn't fight back. I was that girl. This is me my 10th grade year.
     photo 023_zps56102e5a.jpg

If this book had been around then I would have completely worn the pages out. As it is I feel like highlighting and just re-reading the thing until it falls apart.
    Talking about Romeo and Juliet Ele
    Lola  Reviewer

I should have read Eleanor & Park during winter, when it’s freezing outside.

Because it completely warmed my heart, and it’s so hot already, I thought my heart would burst into flames inside my chest.

Believe me or not, but I always thought I was immune to the usual young adult romanticism in books. You know: hand holding, shy smiles and flushed cheeks. I didn’t think I would ever feel actual butterflies reading a YA contemporary romance book.

But I did. And it took me by such surprise that at
    Natalie
    Jul 24, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reread, diverse-reads
    “She never felt like she belonged anywhere, except for when she was lying on her bed, pretending to be somewhere else.”

I randomly decided to read Eleanor and Park again because I have no chill.
    Also, I recently picked up Fangirl (for the tenth time), so that definitely had a weighing hand in whether I should reread more of Rainbow Rowell's stories. But I don't have any regrets for rereading this wondrous book.

description
    This review contains *spoilers*.

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic f
    Kat O'Keeffe
    Apr 10, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing
    AMAZING BOOK! Heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time! I wasn't expecting to care so much about these characters and their relationship but I was completely caught up in this story. It's told in 3rd-person past tense, which I sometimes have trouble connecting with, but not so in this case! I feel like I really know both Eleanor and Park, and I love them both separately but I especially love them together. It seemed like their relationship shouldn't work, but it does, so well. I was g ...more
    karen
    Apr 17, 2015 karen rated it really liked it
    Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
    years after everyone else, i have finally read this book. and now i'm all caught up on the zeitgeist! phew. and damn, now i understand why rainbow rowell is so beloved. i mean, i read Fangirl and thought it was excellent, but this one, while it is not as good as Fangirl, does a couple of things so freaking well that it gave me all the swoons and the swirls.

rainbow rowell has this ability to tap into the teenage experience that is a little spooky. and while john green gets all the credit for bei
    Etnik
    Sep 27, 2014 Etnik rated it it was amazing
    description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
    “Eleanor was right. She never looked nice.She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

____________________________________________

5 PERFECT STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never read contemporary books.I have read like 4 maybe till now and didn't really like them.Anyway I decided to
    Ariel
    Nov 26, 2013 Ariel rated it it was amazing
    I have so many thoughts and ideas and things I want to discuss, and I can't possible put them all here, but here are some of my main thinkings:

1) PARENTS: Parent's are such an integral part of teenage life - they are the reason you can do things, the reason you can't do things, the reason you have money, etc. This book had parents that were just as important, interesting, and developed as the main characters and I so appreciated that. I especially enjoyed Park's parents: they were so complex and
    Feb 05, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it
    This review originally appeared on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.

*Reviewer's Note (added 2/5/2016)*
    Please be aware that I have turned off all notifications for this review and do not check or respond to comments. It's not that I don't like y'all; it's just that I'd rather spend my time talking about books that I actually, ya know, like.

I have thought about Eleanor & Park everyday since I read it two months ago.

That’s not a compliment.

In some respects, my attitude is perhaps not terribly fair beca
    Christy
    5 stars!

photo 20824a81-2911-4d85-b4f2-28c544caf86c_zps7rxmlkxt.jpg
    “You’re my favorite person of all time.”

Eleanor & Park… this has been sitting on my kindle for a year. HOW has this been just sitting on my kindle for a year??? First off, I’m going to say if you have this book, don’t let it just sit on your kindle. Read it, listen to it, whatever. Just make sure you don’t overlook this one. It’s a book that deserves to be read. These are some of the most special characters and Rainbow Rowell writes some of the best YA ever. So read the book.

photo 27142517-5e3f-4c00-ba79-533cc321a23d_zps8rkgq7fr.jpg

E
    Tiffany
    Mar 10, 2013 Tiffany rated it did not like it
    I know I said I wasn't going to do a review, because I feel that my status updates are pretty telling enough, but...

First, I just don't see Park's parents as a good example of a couple that "made it" against all odds, as John Green implies. There is NOTHING in this book about how or why they fell in love. As an Asian woman, I look at it through a more disbelieving lens. It sounds like a white man "saving" an Asian woman from her "poor," "lower-rung," "terrible" life. She is basically forced to a
    caren

This book was everything I've been searching for since Anna and the French Kiss. It gave me that melty, clenchy feeling in my chest, the warm fuzzies in my stomach. I was basically a mess throughout the entire thing. These two characters had my emotions going up and down like someone was beating on them with one of those sledgehammers at a carnival, trying to get them to climb to the top of that lit up pole again and again. And every time I thought they couldn't go any higher, Park would do or s
    Maggie
    ❝He made her feel like more than the sum of her parts.❞

Eleanor & Park was the very first Contemporary I ever read, and this book is probably the reason why I love contemporaries so much. Maybe because they're quirky and small, but also because of the detail the romance has in it. Of course, it's Contemporary Romance that is my favorite. Not caring about other reviews and not bothering to read them (sorry,) my little heart will always have a place for this. Rainbow Rowell definitely impress
    Lily C
    Jan 09, 2017 Lily C added it
    Well that was sad.

Full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMwH...
    Diane
    May 22, 2013 Diane rated it did not like it
    Shelves: young-adult
    I need to state right away that YA is not one of my favorite genres: I hated the Twilight books, I'm not a fan of paranormal romance and I've been avoiding the flood of YA dystopian novels. I want this to be clear because if you like YA, than my negative reaction maybe won't apply to you. You may love this book, as many others already have.

I wanted to read this novel because it received several glowing reviews and it was being compared to John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, which I really liked
    Ryan
    1.5/5 stars

DNF at page 195

Apologies in advance to anyone who liked this book. This is simply my opinion.

Looks like it's time for another unnecessarily long gif-filled rant review, folks.

My friends, after this book:

Me, after this book:

description

Never have I ever been happier to check a book out from the library.

Did I even read the same book as everyone else? I was expecting a swoon-worthy misfit love story. Did I get that? Nope. I got whiny characters and angst. A lot of angst.

Seriously, a more app
    Kristen
    Oh, man. This book made me feel ALL THE EMOTIONS! I ugly-cried at least five times while reading it. And, I can't lie, I didn't actually want to read it at all. It was one of those books I kept hearing buzz about, and words like "gritty" and "romance" and "abuse" and it just didn't sound like my kind of book at all. I also was a little annoyed that it was set in the 80's--what teen today is really interested in reading books about the 80's? But somehow it all came together for me. I loved Eleano ...more
    Stephanie
    5 glowing stars - touching, yet heartwrenching story of young love...

I will admit that I have had Eleanor & Park sitting on my TBR pile for a LONG time.... a REALLY LONG time. One of those books that I wanted to read, but just wasn't sure was for me. I am so excited to have finally read it -- motivated as it was chosen as the BOTM for one of my groups.

I chose the audio format and enjoyed the narration. Most chapters switched back and forth from Eleanor's POV to Park's. It worked really we
    Brandi
    Dec 04, 2013 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Everyone
    description

I absolutely adored this book! I don't really know what else to say. It was such a wonderful experience. Eleanor and Park have become a part of me, I was completely wrapped up in their story. Their voices are so real and honest. I love them. Plain and Simple. My only compliant is that I wanted more.

“I don’t like you, Park. Sometimes I think I live for you”

Highly recommend this one!!
    Tabetha
    Oct 31, 2015 Tabetha rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites-recent
    I thought this was going to be a lighthearted contemporary by Rainbow Rowell...I never even glanced at the description, but I soon found there were deeper, sometimes darker subjects layered in with the sweetest, most passionate love story between sixteen year olds Eleanor and Park, who each felt they did not fit into the typical normal high school student mold. It is set in Omaha, Nebraska in 1986, and I really enjoyed the mid-80's references and details contained throughout the book...took me b ...more
    Tatiana
    Jan 27, 2014 Tatiana marked it as abandoned
    Shelves: ya, romancelandia, printz, 2014
    I must be the only person in the world who finds this endlessly boring...
    Lotte
    Eleanor and Park are my literary OTP. Screw Romeo and Juliet. Or Anastasia and Christian Grey. Rainbow Rowell is able to make me feel way more about a scene with two characters holding hands, than any other author with an explicit sex scene ever could.
    Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss

If I could use one word to describe this story, it would be "adorable". Eleanor and Park fell in love on the bus listening to '80's music and reading comic books. Can it get any cuter than that? I submit that it cannot! Told in alternating points-of-view, this story will grab onto you and not let you go until the ending.

Eleanor is the new girl in school. She describes herself as chubby and plain. After her mother's abusive husband kicked Eleanor, she moved in with some family friends. Now, a ye
    Sarah (Starry Night Reader)

This book first appeared on my radar when I read that a group of parents had tried to ban the book in a Minnesota high school district. If there's any sure way to get me interested in a book, create controversy over it...

I started this book four or five times before I got into it, because I felt certain this was going to be a boring pleasant little high school romance and not much more. What could possibly be controversial about it?!

Apparently, the controversy was over the amount of swe
    Darth J
    Mar 03, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it
    After reading Fangirl and liking it, I decided to pick up Eleanor and Park. I ordered a used copy and somehow ended up with an autographed first edition.

I was reading this on the heels of another book set in the 80’s, After Last Call, so I was completely in the zone for that decade. While there are plenty of references to the times in this novel, I feel like the story is a bit timeless. There could be a connection to a certain set of star-crossed lovers made here, but I think it’s safe to say t
    Around the Year i...: Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell 15 57 17 hours, 54 min ago
    Eleanor&Park or Fangirl, any idea? [Rainbow Rowell] 13 69 Mar 25, 2017 11:44AM
    YA Buddy Readers'...: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - Restarting March 24th 2017 288 472 Mar 25, 2017 10:39AM
    Addicted to YA: Eleanor & Park 43 626 Mar 18, 2017 12:15PM
    Who would play Eleanor & Park in a movie? 117 3350 Mar 16, 2017 02:04AM
    • Maggot Moon
    • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
    • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
    • The Lucy Variations
    • The Tragedy Paper
    • A Corner of White (The Colors of Madeleine, #1)
    • Five, Six, Seven, Nate!
    • Boxers (Boxers & Saints, #1)
    • Endangered (Ape Quartet #1)
    • Scowler
    • In Darkness
    • Reality Boy
    • The Scar Boys (The Scar Boys, #1)
    • Saving Francesca
    • Midwinterblood
    • Orbiting Jupiter
    • The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B
    • Wise Young Fool
    4208569
    Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
    More about Rainbow Rowell...

“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” 7340 likes
    “Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.” 2524 likes