Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in October?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please tell us what you are reading, or planning to read, in October 2016!

message 2: by Peta (new)

Peta | 5 comments I have not been on this site for the best part of a decade unfortunately!!!!
Good to be back. Just finished the new Harry Potter and currently re-reading American Gods.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments finished the first book in Tour of the Merrimack: Volume One, The Myriad. Not bad, great ideas but the execution was all over the place

Presently blowing through another Jack Reacher book
The Visitor
it's good but as with every Reacher Book the writer always something that annoys me. This time its the uselessness of a Profile.
Other than that, fun book

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
Still trying to finish Inferno by Larry Niven and then the sequel, Escape from Hell. Tomorrow we leave for a driving getaway to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then Door County in Wisconsin, so I think I will get some time to read since our only plans are to hike, enjoy nature, and relax!

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Ooooh I'm jealous, say hi to the UP for me :)

Currently reading a memoir, Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots.

message 6: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments just finished Wizard and Glass but as i found it so poor im undecided on whether to continue with the series.

Currently readying some Star Trek short stories but will maybe read either This Census-Taker or The Last Days of New Paris along with something sci-fi but not sure what possibly A Fire Upon the Deep

message 8: by Ken (last edited Oct 03, 2016 08:07PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished The Visitor
Not bad, and there was a reason for the Profiling hate.

Started some nonficiton myself
Masters of Sex

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Pickle wrote: "just finished Wizard and Glass but as i found it so poor im undecided on whether to continue with the series.r..."

I havent read the books yet but I have a friend who loved the series.
Maybe take a month off and then dive into the next one

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 17 comments I just finished two: Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass, which I absolutely loved and Ilona Andrews's Magic Binds, which was much lighter fare.

message 11: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Colleen wrote: "I just finished two: Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass, which I absolutely loved and Ilona Andrews's Magic Binds, which was much li..."

New Kate Daniels book? Eee! :) Off to buy it for my kindle!

I'm currently reading some Harry Turtledove short stories. We Install and Other Stories

message 12: by Leserling (new)

Leserling Belana (vorleser) | 54 comments I just finished reading 'The Legend of Luna Levi' by Gordana Kuic for a book discussion club, and boy I'm glad it's over. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to read next. Decisions, decisions...

message 13: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Here is my review of Raft by Stephen Baxter

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I've been doing less reading on my vacation than I anticipated, but I did finish Inferno, 3 stars. Before I jump into the sequel, I decided to start the next book in our Deverry Series read, Days of Air and Darkness.

message 15: by Leserling (new)

Leserling Belana (vorleser) | 54 comments I'll soon read Omni (German scifi) and Das Mitternachtsversprechen (general fiction) plus Die Akte Zodiac (thriller) (all three for reviews).

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments I've just returned from a 12 day vacation; I read Spells of Blood and Kin which I rated 2 1/2-3 stars. I just didn't like it that much.
I also read Parasite which I did enjoy and will read the sequel.
I started the vacation by finishing up Ruin; thankfully my library had a digital copy so I didn't have to carry such a big book overseas. I highly rated this book, despite being very angry at the author for the ending (and the next book isn't yet out).
Now I've started on Last Song Before Night
My thanks go to Justine whose book lit helped me find a couple of these digital titles which were available at my library

message 17: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished the Harry Turtledove anthology, which was a combination of some amazing novellas, mildly amusing short stories (plus a few that I thought were sort of pointless), and nonfiction that I skimmed over. Worth reading for the novellas alone, but the quality of the rest was meh.

Now I'm on to Days of Air and Darkness, about a quarter of the way through and already hooked :)

message 18: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finally finished Days of Air and Darkness and am ready to start Theft of Swords for our November discussion.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Hi all! Working on stayed updated with my Goodreads groups. It's felt like a slow reading month, but looking back I've read more than I thought. I finished The Fireman on Audible which I would highly recommend if you're into slow-burners (pun intended). Next I listened to John Scalzi's newest novella The Dispatcher. I loved it! I think it's still available for free to Audible members & it's narrated by Zachary Quinto. Triple win! I'm currently listening to The Way of Shadows on Audible. I read it several years ago and it became one of my favorite series. It's been cool to enjoy it on a new medium.

Comic book wise I've read Wonder Woman, Volume 5: Flesh (good), ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times (great), and Young Avengers, Vol. 3: Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space (underwhelming).

I'm currently reading A Gentleman in Moscow which is out of genre and very enjoyable.

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finally finished Masters of Sex. it was a good read, interesting no holds barred look at Masters and Johnson.

Started the second Expanse book
Caliban's War

It's tough to put down

message 21: by Justine (last edited Oct 26, 2016 12:09AM) (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Christine wrote: "My thanks go to Justine whose book lit helped me find a couple of these digital titles which were available at my library"

You are so welcome Christine! I'm glad you enjoyed most of those. I'm right with you on the ending of Ruin ... dying! I'm so looking forward to reading that final book; I have it on my to-read shelf for December.

I've been busy lately but have read some excellent books this month. Here is what I've read so far this month and how I rated it:

The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace 2) - (5 stars)
All Good Children - (4 stars)
Behind the Throne - (3.5 stars)
Anna Dressed in Blood - (3.5 stars)
Steal the Sky - (3.5 stars)
Way Down Dark - (4 stars)
Cloudbound (Bone Universe 2) - (4 stars)
Radiant - Towers Trilogy 1 (5 stars)
Defiant - Towers Trilogy 2 (5 stars)
Towers Fall - Towers Trilogy 3 (3.5 stars)
Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms 1) - (4 stars)
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows 2) - (4.5 stars)
The Rains - (3.5 stars)

I'm currently reading A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers 2) and it is excellent so far.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.