Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > What are you reading August 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2843 comments Mod
AUGUST???

I'm reading Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon and Glory and the Lightning and listening to The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto and will start Before the Fall later today.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I just finished Dark Matter but I finished while it was still July so I get to start August with a fresh pick. I have too many good choices here.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments How was it???

Janet wrote: "I just finished Dark Matter but I finished while it was still July so I get to start August with a fresh pick. I have too many good choices here."

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I'm listening to Everyone Brave is Forgiven, reading Sweetbitter, e-reading an ARC of All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, and also e-reading How to Meditate with Pema Chodron: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind for a meditation workshop I'm doing this summer.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Schultz | 8 comments I'm reading A Man called Oves by Fredrik Backman.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I saw your review, Janet - sounds great!

Sue wrote: "How was it???

Janet wrote: "I just finished Dark Matter but I finished while it was still July so I get to start August with a fresh pick. I have too many good choices here.""

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Sue wrote: "I saw your review, Janet - sounds great!

Yes, it was a 5 star read for me.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) Just cracked open The Mirror Thief. Looking forward to it!

message 10: by Cathi (new)

Cathi | 3 comments The Last Anniversary - Liane Moriarty

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Loved a Man Called Ove! I'm reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer Eating Animals and listening to Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta Under the Udala Trees.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 94 comments Just started to read Rage Therapy by Daniel Kalla....

message 13: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Well it took a while but I finished a book! Actually read a book! Last night I finished Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6) by Dorothy L. Sayers . I am now reading The Last Woman Standing by Thelma Adams . Listening to Inspector of the Dead (Thomas De Quincey, #2) by David Morrell .

message 15: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Boys in the boat audible book is very good. It's nice to see that you are reading it.

message 17: by Melissa (last edited Aug 08, 2016 05:36AM) (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I read Dark Matter yesterday. I am still reading Here Comes the Sun. I flew through Dark Matter in one day. It is very plot-driven and compelling. I also read Hawkeye, Vol. 6: Hawkeyes. I love this series.

message 18: by Britany (new)

Britany | 598 comments Finished The Girls by Emma Cline by Emma Cline- 5 Stars!

I LOVED this one- need to find more books about the Manson-ish cult in the late '60's. Ate up every single word.

My Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Linda (new)

I finished listening to Ruthless Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me by Ron Miscavige Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me. I will be starting Her Again Becoming Meryl Streep by Michael Schulman Her Again: Becoming Meryl Streep to replace it.

message 21: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Jumana wrote: "I'm reading for bookclub: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina GeorgeThe Little Paris Bookshop

I would like to know your thoughts on this one.

message 22: by Jumana (new)

Jumana Elizabeth wrote: "Jumana wrote: "I'm reading for bookclub: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina GeorgeThe Little Paris Bookshop

I would like to know your thoughts on this one."

Will do :)

message 23: by Cathi (last edited Aug 11, 2016 05:20AM) (new)

Cathi | 3 comments I enjoyed this book. Although at times, I was worried it might wander into the "typical," there were enough turns in the story to keep it from doing so. I loved the descriptions of the places they docked. Finding the exact book that you need at that moment - perfect.

message 24: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Thanks for the feedback Cathi.

message 25: by Karen (last edited Aug 12, 2016 02:19AM) (new)

Karen | 293 comments I'm reading I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh I Let You Go

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I just finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood . An absolute 5-star stunner of a book. Definitely not for everyone - the love interests meet (and fall in love) when she is 8 and he is in his early 20's - but it is brutally beautiful, original, and heartbreaking. It made my head spin in the very best way.

message 27: by Britany (new)

Britany | 598 comments Finished The Ballroom by Anna Hope by Anna Hope-- 4 Stars.

1900's insane asylum featuring a gorgeous ballroom. Insert broken characters searching for freedom, and beautiful writing and you've got this one.

My Review:

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 560 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "I'm reading I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh I Let You Go"

Just picked this up at the library yesterday but wonder if I'll get to it. Let us know what you think about it Karen.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 293 comments I will Carol :)

message 30: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I am reading Gold by Chris Cleave Gold.

message 31: by Britany (new)

Britany | 598 comments Finished Glory over Everything Beyond The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom by Kathleen Grissom 5 Stars

Loved this one even more than the first! How is that possible?

My Review:

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments I'm reading Glaciers -- I requested it from the library after reading Marrow Island by the same author. Glaciers is her first novel and I really like it. Short, spare, but full of emotion just under the surface.

message 33: by Linda (new)

While I'm still reading several books (The Mirror Thief, War and Peace, Glory and the Lightning among others) I have been working my way through a series of graphic novels that I found at my library. I read #7 (not knowing it was #7) and have now read #1 and have several of the others lined up - Amelia Rules! Volume 1 The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1) by Jimmy Gownley Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 94 comments Just going to start No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay...love this author

message 35: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I started The Muse by Jessie Burton The Muse.

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Just finished Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis and recommended it to all my Ohio peeps.

message 38: by Linda (new)

Janet wrote: "Just finished Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis and recommended it to all my Ohio peeps."

Duly noted, but I don't think of Ohio as Hillbilly country. I know, I know. Read it, Linda.

message 39: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments There are Hillbillies in every state believe me.

message 40: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I finished The Widow on audio; didn't particularly enjoy it. Just started The Last Painting of Sara de Vos, also on audio, which I knew nothing about, and it's off to a great start.

message 41: by Britany (new)

Britany | 598 comments Finished Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult-- 4 Stars.

Elephants, a Psychic whose lost her way, and a teenage daughter searching for her mother. Jodi Picoult has done it again.

My Review:

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisgitt) I loved American Heiress by Jeffrey Toobin, a book about Patty Hearst and was deeply disappointed by A Wife of Noble Character. Yesterday, I started After Disasters and am enjoying it so far.

message 43: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I have started the new Harry Potter and am really resenting the fact that I have to waste good reading time by going to work.

message 44: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Esther I know your kidding right?

message 45: by Esther (last edited Aug 18, 2016 03:17AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) Gerald wrote: "Esther I know your kidding right?"

No kidding, I really do have to work :0) (And I am really enjoying the new HP)

message 46: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I only asked that because I'm in between jobs so you can have my not working and I'll take your job.

message 47: by Esther (last edited Aug 18, 2016 03:51AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) Gerald wrote: "I only asked that because I'm in between jobs so you can have my not working and I'll take your job."

I sympathize.
I do love my job but at present it is a bit slow even though I am covering for my vacationing colleague. When I am filing in order to pass the time I just think 'I could be reading'.
When I was so busy I had to work 12-14 hours days it was much more tiring but also much more exciting.

ETA if I didn't have this job I couldn't afford to buy myself all these lovely books, which is possibly one of the best enticements for engaging in paid employment.

message 48: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Actually the job I had allowed me to listen to a lot of books at work. It was a sit down mail opener.

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Goodman | 8 comments I'm loving my August reading - and have a huge stack of library books to take with me on vacation later this month. Really enjoyed The Last One. Currently reading My Life on the Road for book club and slowly savoring her stories - feels like she's talking to me.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) Finished The Mirror Thief. I didn't see everything the many glowing reviewers saw, but still liked it very much! My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1