Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
This topic is about The End of All Things
The End of All Things, by John Scalzi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments "Humans expanded into space…only to find a universe populated with multiple alien species bent on their destruction. Thus was the Colonial Union formed, to help protect us from a hostile universe. The Colonial Union used the Earth and its excess population for colonists and soldiers. It was a good arrangement...for the Colonial Union. Then the Earth said: no more.

Now the Colonial Union is living on borrowed time—a couple of decades at most, before the ranks of the Colonial Defense Forces are depleted and the struggling human colonies are vulnerable to the alien species who have been waiting for the first sign of weakness, to drive humanity to ruin. And there’s another problem: A group, lurking in the darkness of space, playing human and alien against each other—and against their own kind —for their own unknown reasons.

In this collapsing universe, CDF Lieutenant Harry Wilson and the Colonial Union diplomats he works with race against the clock to discover who is behind attacks on the Union and on alien races, to seek peace with a suspicious, angry Earth, and keep humanity’s union intact...or else risk oblivion, and extinction—and the end of all things."

Definitely not the place to start in the series, this one is sixth and it concludes the story arc begun in The Human Division. It also won't be the last book, as Scalzi's new contract with TOR stipulated two more Old Man's War books.

I liked this one better than The Human Division but still not as well as the first two books. It continues the short story format but is actually 4 novellettes, meaning that we have more time to spend within each story. The first tale was crazy strong, and had it stuck with that focus, this might have been my favorite book of the series.

The series reading order is:

Old Man's War (Novel)
Questions for a Soldier (Short Story)
The Ghost Brigades (Novel)
The Sagan Diary (Novella)
The Last Colony (Novel)
Zoe's Tale (YA Novel)
After the Coup (Short Story)
The Human Division (Novel)
Hafte Sorvalh Eats a Churro and Speaks to the Youth of Today (Short Story)
The End of All Things (Novel)

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Can you let me know in the posts which week you're reading for? It saves me from hunting down your plan to add them to the bookshelf :)

message 3: by J (last edited Jul 24, 2016 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments Sorry, missed that one. This was for Week 3: A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated).

I just recently caught on to the importance of these posts, when you mentioned them in one of the other threads. So now I am trying to catch up on ones that I neglected to do.

message 4: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I can usually find the books in people's plans so no need to go back and check old threads. It just makes it faster so something to remember for the future :)

message 5: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments Thanks Laura,

I have been slowly learning how this group works as I have been participating in it. I think my focus was only on reading my books and staying on task early in the year but I wish that I had kept better track of the locations for my books (for the map).

I avoided making threads for quite a few of my books simply because I did not think they would spur any discussion. But I seem to have been wrong on that. I certainly don't want to flood the folders with my posts, but I that that I will work to start these missed books and any future ones I start reading.