Start by marking “The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3)

The Last Colony

(Old Man's War #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  41,420 Ratings  ·  1,964 Reviews
Retired from his fighting days, John Perry is now village ombudsman for a human colony on distant Huckleberry. With his wife, former Special Forces warrior Jane Sagan, he farms several acres, adjudicates local disputes, and enjoys watching his adopted daughter grow up.

That is, until his and Jane's past reaches out to bring them back into the game--as leaders of a new human
Published April 17th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Colony, please sign up.
Brian Hogan I think so. you don't really need to read them in order but you'll get the maximum effect if you do.
Brian
Almir Filho Its pretty important, the finale of the first trilogy. Plus, the fourth book, Zoe's Tale, is the same history, by the eyes of the daughter.
…more
It´s pretty important, the finale of the first trilogy. Plus, the fourth book, Zoe's Tale, is the same history, by the eyes of the daughter.
(less)

mark monday
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: futuristic
stupid fucking humans, you are the worst! always getting shit wrong and not caring!

John Scalzi sort of agrees but sort of doesn't. he's a humanist who loves the individual as well as a scornful critic who slams systems, systematized secrecy, imperialism, and the use of conflict as a way to achieve goals. so he gets to have his cake and eat it too. his love of people is on display as ever, and although his characters often lack depth and aren't particularly interesting, they are still warmly char
Kemper
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, aliens, sci-fi, war
I’m no expert at colonizing newly discovered worlds, but I gotta think that naming your new planet ‘Roanoke’ and your settlement town ‘Croatoan’ is just asking to be pimp slapped by fate. Why not just christen a ship ‘Titantic’ or call that new nuclear plant ’Chernobyl’? What’s the worst that could happen?

The third installment of this series finds John Perry and his wife Jane retired from the Colonial Defense Force and living quietly on a colonized planet with their daughter. The CDF approaches
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
This is the point in the series where the story needed to make me fall in love with it as much as the first book did. Coming off a decent, albeit underwhelming second novel (Ghost Brigades), I wanted Last Colony to evolve into a series I could endorse as passionately as The Expanse. Alas, while I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish, the book did leave a few points to be desired.

My biggest complaint is the lack of description. Scalzi has all of these interesting alien species, but I'm
Terence
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
After retiring from the Colonial Defense Force, John Perry and Jane Sagan started a new life on the Human colony Huckleberry. The two of them live with their adopted daughter Zoë, work local jobs, and have a farm. All of that changes when they are approached to be the leaders of a new human colony which will be colonized by people from other human colonies. There is more to this arrangement than they were told and the family finds itself once again forced to fight to survive.

John Scalzi shows an
Lyn
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Way cool SF writer Scalzi returns to his Old Man's War universe.

This time around John Perry and his badass wife Jane are out of the CDF and are no longer green, having been given retired human bodies. Nowadays they are chillaxing on a colony basking in their boring new roles, living a quiet life with their adopted daughter Zoe.

But their lives change when a CDF general invites / demands / requires them to lead a party of new colonists on a brand new planetary colony that reminded me of Robert A.
Mayim de Vries
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
“It is an interesting thing to be both critical and expendable to humanity’s effort to populate the stars.”

Woodrow Wilson's wet dream goes interstellar!

“The Last Colony” is so far the weakest in the Old Men's War series. After “old people" (part one) and special forces (second volume), in the third instalment, Mr Scalzi focuses on the colonists and colonial life in general. The main characters are our old friends, John Perry and Jane Sagan. In a sense, this book finalises the stories of these tw
Dan Schwent
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, 2010, the-scalz
John Perry and Jane Sagan have left the CDF and have been living with Zoe on a colony called Huckleberry until they're uprooted and sent to start a new colony, Roanoke. Only the CDF isn't telling them the whole truth and the Conclave is on the prowl for rogue colonies. Can Perry and his family save Roanoke without being traitors to the Colonial Union?

Wow. I loved this book almost as much as I loved the first in the series, Old Man's War. John Perry is back and in fine form. Scalzi crammed a lot
Tom Merritt
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's an easy brilliance to the OMW series that I think shines at its best in Last Colony. At any moment you may feel like you're reading a light novel with snappy dialog and a straightforward plot. The phrase 'beach reading' May even flit through your mind. But the. You'll realize that these characters are green super soldiers, alien generals with eye stalks and emotionless guardians of a teenage girl. Then it strikes you that the themes aren't just love and family and such but also war and o ...more
Lata
3.5 stars. A good installment in this series. I enjoyed this much more than I was expecting, and totally loved these women: Jane Sagan and Savitri Guntupillai. I'm looking forward to seeing this story's events from Zoe Boutin's perspective soon. I wanted to spend so much more time with these three people.
It's nice to see that some of the revelations in book 2 are followed up here, (view spoiler)
Veronique
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
Third volume in the Old Man's War series

This one felt rather different to the previous two - much lighter in a way although the stakes are still pretty high - but as enjoyable to read.

The narration is back from the point of view of John Perry, who is living a peaceful life on a colony with Jane Sagan and Zoe, after the explosive events of The Ghost Brigades. Eight years have passed and the two ex soldiers look at ease in this new life, the first as an ombudsman and the other as a constable, deal
Michael
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review from October was wrongly placed with the entre piece of the serialized book:

This was a well-paced, fun space opera in the same universe as Scalzi’s series starting with “The Old Man’s War”. The confederation of human planets known as Colonial Union was formed in response to alien civilizations out to exterminate our species, and in response to their success hundreds of alien species have formed their own confederation, the Conclave. The resulting peace from strength has become shaky
seak
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I think Scalzi's a fun author to read, one you can always go back to knowing you'll have an entertaining read. He's got smart characters you can root for, fast-paced plots, and you always know you won't have to think too hard. I love to be challenged in my reading, but I don't want to be challenged with every single book I read. Thus, authors like John Scalzi make for the perfect break in your intellectual readings.

The Last Colony is the final Old Man's War universe novel with John Perry and Jan
Mpauli
Overall this was a fantastic read and a lot of fun. Seeing the story again told from John Perry's point of view was a blast and the combination of humor, plot, twists, characters and action worked really well for me.
The ony complaint I have is that for the plot to really work at two points people who should have know better make actually some stupid decisions. I think if everyone had really acted like I would assume leaders of large political groups would act, then the story couldn't have played
Marijan
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
treća knjiga, trećapriča, i opet prilično različita. mrvicu slabija od druge. i mada na kraju knjige najavljuje oproštaj od storylinea, vidim da se nije baš oprostio :)
Semjon
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Während ich vom ersten Band begeistert war (5 Sterne) und den zweiten Band zumindest gemocht habe (4 Sterne), hat dieser 3. Band mich von Anfang an nicht überzeugen können. Stilistisch unterscheidet er sich deutlich von seinen Vorgängern, die technischer und abenteuerfixierter waren. Vor allem die Idee, Senioren zu Kampfmaschinen umzubauen, hatte im Krieg der Klone einen großen Unterhaltungswert. Unser Held Perry war sich auch nie für eine Aufgabe zu schade beim Kampf der Menschheit gegen fremde ...more
Igor Ljubuncic
This is a good book, but nowhere near as good as the first (best) or second (very good).

Let's start with the 'me like' stuff: John has a nice, easygoing writing style, so even if there isn't too much happening in the book, it's still quite all right. Overall, the arch-story of the series continues, and we get additional exposure to the politics of CU and the Conclave. John Perry is back, it's first person again, and the focus is now on the colonial side of the union.

Unfortunately ...

The Last Col
Kaethe
2012 January

At the end of the book Scalzi says he isn't going to write any more about these characters. So even though I'm midway in Zoe's Tale, I'm having a sad. It's smart science fiction, interesting characters, intriguing problems with colonization, and Sagan and Perry are so good at working things through. I would happily read many more stories about them. Great scifi, and, for those of us who enjoy twists, plenty of them. Really, Old Man's War is an unusually strong series. There must be f
Ivan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Book started off slowly.Initially It's mostly about misadventures of cutoff colony but somewhere around half of the book there is a point where "shit gets real" and book reverts to that fast paced space opera we all know and love.

First half: 3 stars.Slow but necessary.

Second half: 5 stars.Best part of the series, when things got going I couldn't put it down.
Hosein
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
اگه میتونستم بیشتر از 5 ستاره بدم، صددرصد میدادم.

شاید بهترین چیزی که من میتونم برای احساسم در مورد "آخرین مستعمره" بگم، حس استار وارزیه:دی با این تفاوت که "آخرین مستعمره" از کل فیلم های استاروارز داستان قوی تری داشت و به نظرم یکی از قوی ترین کتاب های علمی تخیلی بود که خوندم.

تا اینجای مجموعه جنگ پیرمرد، هر جلد تفاوت های جالبی نسبت به جلد قبل داشته. جلد اول فضای نبرد و نظامی داشت، جلد دوم بار فلسفیش به همه موارد دیگه می چربید، جلد سوم یک کار سیاسی بود. توی این جلد بیشتر از اینکه با فلسفه کار داشته
The Shayne-Train
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wowzers. Just....plain....wowzers.

description

This was such a perfect end to the trilogy. We go back to the first-person narrative of Major John Perry, formerly a reborn-supersoldier, now a husband and father and space-colonist.

Plenty of good kill-all-da-alienz stuff, but also a lot of good making-your-way-in-the-world-today-takes-everything-you-got stuff too. Oh, and some DOWN-WITH-THE-MAN stuff. Can't forget that.

Goodreads tells me there are more books in the series. I find that odd, because it felt like
Mehrzad M.
خیانت، توطئه و جنگ، یادگار سال ها استعمار کهکشانی بشر و نژاد های هوشمند دیگر هست، اما برای زنده موندن از این مجادله، وقتی تمام آمار و ارقام و پیشبینی ها، حتی تصمیم سیاستمدارها به کشته شدن و فدا شدن به احتمال باقی ماندن نژاد بشر هست، چطور باید معادله ها رو بهم زد، چطور باید در عصر پیشرفت تکنولوژی برای بقا به قرن بیستم بازگشت و در نهایت با تمام سختی های ایجاد آخرین مستعمره انسانی و مبارزه با اکوسیستم این سیاره ی نامشخص، برای زنده موندن مبارزه کرد...

Sandi
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more of John Scalzi’s work I read, the more I like his writing. Set in the same universe as “Old Man’s War”, the 2008 Hugo nominated novel, “The Last Colony” does not disappoint. Scalzi has a gift for writing science fiction that fires the imagination and remains completely believable. He doesn’t fill his novels with a bunch of boring exposition. Any technology that needs explanation is explained in a comprehensible manner, not with a lot of jargon. In many ways, his novels hearken back to t ...more
Dorothea
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found The Last Colony really disappointing compared to Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades. Here's why:

1. The first two books got a lot of their structure from the military training that their protagonists, John Perry and Jared Dirac. The process of learning new skills and ways of thinking also made Perry and Dirac interesting characters. The Last Colony doesn't have any training; Perry is the protagonist again and he does have to adapt to a new career as the administrator of a new colony, bu
Stuart
The Last Colony is the third installment of the Old Man’s War series by John Scalzi, and will probably be my last visit to Scalzi world. I really enjoyed Old Man’s War, as it had the perfect blend of a sympathetic and wise-cracking main character, intriguing concept (recruiting 75 year olds with the promise of powerful new military bodies to fight aliens threatening humanity), basic training with the new bodies, first combat, and an exciting finale.

However, with each successive book I’m learning
Silvana
This is disappointing since I usually can count on Scalzi for keeping me glued to the screen of my Kindle. The book, or series, has been underwhelming for me since The Ghost Brigade. I think the parts where it should spend more time on got shortened like the going ons in other planets during the war with the Conclave etc, and vice versa. There are many conversation with arguments made clear at the start but somehow the characters keep paraphrasing it without uncovering new insights. I was really ...more
Milda Page Runner
2.5*
Some spoilers in here, read at your own peril.

The good:
John Perry - I loved his voice, his humour, the way he has with the people around him.
Colonizing new planet - the adventures and difficulties that came with uncharted territory.
The ending - Scalzi seems to deliver happy optimistic endings every time and I love it.
The bad:
Too much politics
CU acting like complete morons. I can accept one person doing stupid mistake but organisation that successfully led humanity for few hundred years colle
Krbo
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Povratak dide Perryja u akciju - je da ga vratiše u "obično" tijelo kao i gospođu no ne može imati mira mada se mislio skrasiti u miru nakon obavljene vojne službe.

Perry mu je očito omiljeni lik - čim ga je vratio Scalzi je opet uključio britki humor i živahne dijaloge.

Dosta bolji dojam od #2 - jaka četvorka i preporuka odlične zabave
Jason Pettus
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
(My full review of this book is much longer than Goodreads' word-count limitations. Find the entire essay at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

Regular readers will know that I've found myself in a special situation this month, because of accidentally getting my hands on a total of eight out of the twelve science-fiction novels nominated this year for either the Hugo or Philip K Dick award; today's review is the sixth of that series*, with the rest of them found
C.T. Phipps
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
American pioneer heritage is something which has kind of a sordid history once you peel back the legend and myth-making which was deliberately added to it. Disease, exile of religious dissidents, slaughter of locals, and shameless land grabs are the least of it. I was hesitant about John Scalzi's take on the subject with the story of Old Man War protagonist John Perry taking up the role of a colony head in a book series primarily about the evils of colonization. I shouldn't have doubted Scalzi a ...more
Fred Hughes
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
John Scalzi continues in his Old Man’s War series with The Last Colony.

Our main characters are John Perry (ex Colonial Defense Forces soldier) , Jane Sagan (ex Colonial Defense Soldier) and their adopted daughter Zoe (whose real Dad tried to kill humanity).

John and Jane have been chosen to lead 2500 citizens to form a colony on the planet Roanoke. It is uninhabited and with a little work can support humans.

But the universe is a tough place and habitable planets are in demand by many different
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Last Colony [Aug 2017] 43 36 Sep 25, 2017 11:46AM
La Stamberga dei ...: L'ultima colonia di John Scalzi 1 5 Oct 26, 2014 06:59AM
Space Opera Fans : [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - The Last Colony 14 43 Aug 11, 2014 05:02PM
  • Victorious (The Lost Fleet, #6)
  • Cauldron (The Academy, #6)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Marsbound (Marsbound, #1)
  • CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14)
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • Judas Unchained
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

Old Man's War (6 books)
  • Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
  • The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2)
  • Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War, #4)
  • The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
“The story of how I left Huckleberry begins -- as do all worthy stories -- with a goat” 27 likes
“I seem to be good at speaking the politicians’ language,” Szilard said. “Apparently there’s an advantage around here to being mildly socially retarded, and that’s the Special Forces for sure.” 4 likes