Disabilities in YA 2016 discussion

What are you reading for Disabilities in YA?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (city-of-fiction) | 23 comments Mod
Name the book you are planning to read for Disabilities in YA 2016!

message 2: by Katriann (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) I think I will be reading Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson if I can get it from the library. I've wanted to read it for a while, so I figured I can read it for this group. :)

message 3: by Fer (new)

Fer [Hellskape]  (hellskape) | 1 comments Well, Wonder by R.J. Palacio has been in my tbr for a long while so now seems perfect. Wonder

message 4: by Katriann (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) Wonder sounds interesting @Fena. Turned out Wintergirls is not available at my library right now, so I have decided to go with The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson instead.

message 5: by Dara (new)

Dara | 1 comments isn't Wonder middle grade
I will read Song Of Summer , its about a deaf character

message 6: by Katie (new)

@Dara @Fena

I really don't mind if it's middle grade or YA, I'm just happy to see people read fiction with disabled characters! I picked YA as a guideline because its the community I am most involved in.

All the books everyone's chosen sound so interesting! I've wanted to read Song of Summer for a while, but I haven't yet decided what I'm going to be reading for Disabilities in YA, but it's definitely a contender!

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam I will (re)read Otherbound Otherbound but I'm also looking for another book to buy and read as well (good excuse to buy a new book :P)

message 8: by Katie (new)

@Lisa sounds great! Hopefully I will have my list of some good YA books with disabled characters up soon to act as a guideline if you are looking for a new read. I'm currently on holiday, and I'm busier then I expected, so it's taking a bit longer then I anticipated.

I'm enjoying checking out the books people are suggesting though!

message 9: by Monika (new)

Monika B (booksnrambles) I dont have any in mind other than Me before you but that got a lot of backlash from the disabled community so I think I'll just wait for your list :P

message 10: by Monika (new)

Monika B (booksnrambles) Oh and there's this one I've wanted to read for a while: It's Kind of a Funny Story

message 11: by Katie (new)

@Monika I've have made a start on the list, but it seems to be quite heavily focused on people with hearing problems/or deaf at the moment, and I'd like to get a bigger mix in there before it's officially out there in the open!

I'm sure if you searched for YA disabilities you'd find it, so far I haven't been able to find any other lists that focus on YA in disabilities, which is very sad.

In fact, when researching to make the list, I searched for disability on Google, and Goodreads came up and my list was the 12th result, which really shows how much we need this!

If you have any suggestions please leave them in the 'Leave your book recommendations here!' page. Thanks!

message 12: by Monika (new)

Monika B (booksnrambles) Jeez, yeah, that's bad. I'll start looking too and try to help you out with the list ^_^

message 13: by FA (new)

FA (books_nd_coffee) | 6 comments I'm reading Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon and I'm loving it! I'm just scared that Nicola Yoon will kill Madeline in the end to be honest.

message 14: by Katie (new)

(My lips are sealed) but I loved Everything Everything! Can't wait to hear what you think!!

message 15: by FA (new)

FA (books_nd_coffee) | 6 comments I have a question by the way. Can we read more than a book for the discussion? I'd love to read more than a book so I'd have different perspectives on the topic. But then again, I'm not sure if I can finish the second book. But I'd try if reading more than 1 book is allowed.

message 16: by Katie (new)

Go for it!!! Read as many as you'd like! I'm trying to read two (but my chosen second book is out of stock, urgh). I'd love to know how the two books compare!

message 17: by FA (new)

FA (books_nd_coffee) | 6 comments Alright. Thank you.

message 18: by Katie (new)

I'm reading the Summer of Chasing Mermaids, and Not if I See You First. I've been really enjoying both so far!

message 19: by FA (last edited Aug 17, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

FA (books_nd_coffee) | 6 comments Guys! I've just finished Everything, Everything and if you haven't read it yet then read it if you think you can finish it until 21st-read it even if you won't be able to finish it until 21st- because that book is really interesting. Anyway. Hope everyone's enjoying their books.

message 20: by Katie (new)

@Feyza I totally agree!! It's a very interesting book to read for this subject matter. Personally I loved the book (but I didn't love the representation so much, we can discuss that on Sunday!)