Start by marking “It's Kind of a Funny Story” as Want to Read:
It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  165,878 Ratings  ·  8,466 Reviews
Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets h
Published April 3rd 2007 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about It's Kind of a Funny Story, please sign up.

Joanna Most books about depression can be a trigger and put you in a depressing mood (like Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher which I couldn't even finish…moreMost books about depression can be a trigger and put you in a depressing mood (like Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher which I couldn't even finish because it made me feel so crappy) but this also seems to have a hopeful tone to it. Maybe its because you know that in the end Craig is going to be okay. I didn't have any problem reading it and I loved it. Yes, it takes place in a mental institution but it has some comical undertones to it so that helps.(less)
Nimsay It had me laughing out loud a couple of times, but I wouldn't describe it as hilarious to be honest.

Raeleen Lemay
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It's Kind of A Great Book
Richard Derus
In respectful acknowledgment of Vizzini's suicide on 19 December 2013, I have cleared my rating of his book and removed my review.

There is no more tragic occurrence in a family's life than the suicide of one of its members. My most heartfelt sympathy to Vizzini's wife and young son.
Megs ♥
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

I came across this movie the other day on TV and watched it. I didn't think the movie was great or anything, but I thought the idea of the story was interesting. So I decided to give the book a try. I loved this book. It is about teens and it discusses suicide, sex, drugs and more, but it is a great book with an important message. Sometimes you have to get all the way to the bottom of the barrel before you can get back to the top.

Craig is like a lot of teens nowadays. Overly stressed out. He is
Emma Giordano
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy I finally read this book! It's been recommend to me for YEARS and I have no idea why I've been putting it off for so long.

I loved the way this book captured depression and suicidal idealization. I really resonated with Craig's story. He really spoke to me and his journey of growth was very inspirational in my opinion. I also feel it had a more positive view of inpatient treatment/crisis intervention. A lot of YA books that approach this topic go the route of showing it as an unplea
Kim
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Young Adult books seem to have a few formulas: divorce, unrequited love, death of a parent, self-transformation, and as of late... vampires. Oh... and angst. Usually always angst. Sometimes these can be written quite loverly. As with the few that have been jostled around GR lately,Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Book Thief ,I Am the Messenger ... These authors will come along and break, twist, switch it up...make.you.think. And manage to rise above the whole stigma of what it means to b ...more
Lain
Dec 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Take a good helping of "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," add a heaping spoonful of "Girl, Interrupted," and stir in a dollop or two of "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," and you'll have a good idea what you're going to get with "Funny Story."

A week after the author, Ned Vizzini, was discharged from his own stay in the psychiatric ward of a New York hospital, he began the tale of depressed teen Craig Gilner. On the point of suicide, Craig checks himself into the hospital, hoping to come to
Kaitlyn
May 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
I refuse to believe that writing a book from the perspective of a fifteen year old boy is any excuse for the level of transphobia, sexism, homophobia, and classism that defines this book. I kept trying to excuse the narrator--he's fifteen, he's sheltered, he's a stupid kid who wants to have sex with every female-bodied person he encounters (minus the poor ones, duh)--but that's not fair to fifteen year old boys. I was tolerating the book until Craig, our hero, refers to a human being as "he/she/ ...more
Aria the Blue Fairy
While I could relate to this book on some levels... there was something about it that didn't quite gel with me.

Was it the character? Not at all. I actually kind of like Craig.
Was it the plot? Nope. I actually books that deal with psychological issues.
Was it relatable? It was. It dealt with depression quite a bit. Even had suicidal thoughts at some point. So this was not it either.

But I had a big problem with how the story was told. It dragged out on a lot on the first part of the book. It was on
Frankie
Was ok. Not a massive fan.
Seen the film too.
rachel
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011
April (Aprilius Maximus)
DNF at page 155 for personal reasons. I found this book extremely triggering for my anxiety and depression and could not continue.

It's fantastically written though and I still recommend it if it sounds interesting to you!

Trigger warning: suicide and suicidal thoughts, self-harm, depression, anxiety.
Eve
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
“Everybody has problems. Some people just hide their crap better than others.”

Craig Gilner is a fifteen-year-old Brooklynite who’s spent the past year waiting for “The Shift” to take place. Up until a year ago he wasn’t an insomniac, could hold down more than four bites of food, didn’t break out in cold sweats, could finish his sentences, and didn’t have cycling thoughts about committing suicide.

Through a series of events, Craig finds himself in the adult wing of the local psychiatric hospital w
Lotte
I read this in less than 24 hours. All I can say is, that it's still such an important read and one of all-time favorite books. I recommend it to everyone.
Zeynep Derya (Zeynep's Library)
Depresyona girmiş bir karakterin hikayesi ancak bu kadar eğlenceli olabilir sanırım. Okumadan önce kapağının tatlılığına vurulsam da aklımda hep "bu kitap bayar mı ki ya, depresyon bu sonuçta?" diye bi düşünce vardı. Ama Craig'i o kadar sevdim ve okurken onu o kadar iyi anladım ki... Tuttum ben bu kitabı :')

On beş yaşındayken intiharın eşiğine gelmek artık çok normalleşti sanırım. Çünkü hepimiz "başarıya" odaklanırken mutluluğu es geçtiğimiz bir dönem yaşıyoruz illa ki. Kaç yaşında olursanız olu
Drew
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. For such a moving and detailed look at an important subject, I can't believe how little I've heard about this book. I was hooked from the first sentence: “It’s so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.”

It's Kind of a Funny Story is a brutally honest contemporary following a teen who has a mental illness - yep, it's another one of those. But out of the thousands already published, this one stood out because it was so well written.

My hat goes off to Mr. Vizzini. He gave an hones
Alexa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sophia Park
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Sophia by: Kayla
okay, so, i don't know what to say about this book. it focuses on some privileged white dude's depression recovery in the Best Possible Circumstances and ends up, starting in the middle of the book, becoming really, strangely transphobic/transmisogynistic (think "trans women as deceivers for the male gaze"), to the point where after our trans lady is bussed out of the novel, the main character decides, 200 pages later, to remind us that his new girlfriend isn't a trans girl, but "a *real* girl". ...more
Bern
It's Kind of a Funny Story isn't my usual kind of book, to be honest. Its synopsis makes it clear from the get-go that it's a book about a character going through some tough times, which isn't usually my thing because I'm of the opinion that we go through enough tough times ourselves without watching or reading about other people having it too, but I have myself gone through depression and I thought, "Well, here's your chance to read about tough times you actually identify with."

And weirdly enou
Becca
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really cannot describe how much this books means to me. I read it for the first time when I was only twelve years old on a trip to Wisconsin and it helped me come to terms with a situation in my life I really couldn't understand. I had read it many times between that and the last time I read it, sometime last year, when I felt almost exactly like the main character in this book did. I really cannot say in any words how much this book helped me in my life.

I hope Ned Vizzini knew how much his bo
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Ned Vizzini has a distinct advantage over other authors who write about teen depression, attempted suicide, and the ins and outs of psychiatry--as a teen he was clinically depressed and even spent time in a psychiatric hospital. That experience has allowed Mr. Vizzini to bring to life the kinds of situations that were once largely absent in teen fiction; that of the fact that not all teens are happy, spontaneous, happy-go-lucky youths.

For Craig Gilner, gaining
Alyssa
I’m just going to put this out there, in case you have the preconceived notion - like I did - that this book is supposed to be a hilarious, slap-knee comedy about being a depressed teenager on the brink of suicide: this book really isn’t that funny, and I seriously wish it hadn’t been so desperate to be.

To an extent, this book is enjoyable, even credible. Within the first 100 pages of this book, the MC-underdog Greg Heffley Craig Gilner won my heart with his realistic voice, and the portrayal o
Greg
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A Synoptic Version of a Review Written but then Deleted. Accidentally

This is a book about a kid who thinks about killing himself but doesn't. It is edgy; I mean that there is sex and f-bombs in the book. The characters do drugs too. Kids will like that, some parents will get their closed little minds into a fucking tangle over it.

I wrote a whole review and then accidentally refreshed the page and lost it.

Oh well. I'm not even going to try to re-write what I had written. Your lose. You missed a
Romie
By the time I finished this book, I was in tears. Because this end is full of hope, and this hope wasn't enough for the author, and it breaks my heart to know some people won't ever recover from depression.
But let's talk about this book a bit, shall we ?
The writing is raw, if you've been through or are suffering from depression, you'll understand what I'm talking about. What Craig is going through, it hits home for many people, it hits home for me, and I think you have to be in a specific mood
Ephemera
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of people have summarised this already, so I won't bother. I started off really liking the book because Craig is a character that I found easy to relate to, as I have depression and some similar thoughts to his. At some point, however, it fell kind of flat, especially when Noelle was introduced. At that point it became all about sex and how much he wanted it, and sex was treated like the key to overcome his depression...all wrong. At that point, the characterisation seemed to flop a bit, t ...more
Amy | shoutame
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A beautifully delivered novel - something I would definitely read again in the future.

- We follow the story of a teenage boy named Craig. Craig is an extremely ambitious young man who has a very clear idea of what he wants for his future and how he is going to get there. Unfortunately the build up of pressure and stress surrounding school causes Craig to slip into a very depressed state. With circumstances not seeming to get any better and the onset of suicidal thoughts, Craig makes the decision
Scarlet

I'd prefer not to review this in detail. Suffice to say that what began as a smart and touching narrative ended up feeling too forced and flippant as the story progressed beyond the halfway mark.

It is extremely saddening that the author, who chose to end this book with the very optimistic word "Live", couldn't make himself do just that. Depression, when it well and truly hits, is seldom a funny story.

2.5
Hanna
EDIT: I've just watched the movie! Or what my eyes managed to let in, anyway. I think I stopped after the first half hour or less. I mean, I disliked the second part and surprise surprise, the movie eats up the first essential part and starts with the second one. I must admit the movie fucked the book very well. And I thought the book was boring? The movie is much worse! And much more boring, ugh.

I'm not going to rate this book for now, possibly forever. Because this might be the most co
hanna
what a way to start 2017.
Marco Tamborrino
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
"I'm going to be here until I'm cured?"
"Life is not cured, Mr. Gilner. Life is managed".

Vediamo un po'. In Italia, Moccia a parte, il romanziere acclamato che scrive per adolescenti e viene invitato a parlare nelle scuole è d'Avenia. Tizio che non ha fatto altro che prendere una storia vera sentita da supplente e trasformarla in un libricciolo per gente stupida. Adolescenti stupidi. L'America, oltre a Chbosy e al suo The perks of being a wallflower, ha anche Ned Vizzini. Ned Vizzini ha veramente
Maede

بعد از نوشتن ریویو متوجه شدم نویسنده در سن ۳۲ سالگی در سال ۲۰۱۳ خودکشی کرده ، درست همونطوری که در کتاب هست...در آخر نتونسته بوده به غول افسردگی غلبه کنه هرچند راجع بهش می نوشته و صحبت می کرده و سعی می کرده بقیه رو نجات بده...صفحه آخر این کتاب فوقالعاده بود...وقتی که راهی برای زندگی کردن پیدا شد. ای کاش خودش هم مثل همون صفحه ی آخر راهی پیدا کرده بود

این کتاب رو کسایی درک می کنند که نوجوانی های سختی داشتند، کسایی که مدت ها تو افسردگی و فکر های بی سر و ته و
سیاه دست و پا زدن

کرگ بعد از مدت ها به شدت
Mental Health Boo...: August - It's Kind of a Funny Story 5 10 51 minutes ago
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: It's Kind of a Funny Story 5 14 18 hours, 25 min ago
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 3 5 Aug 21, 2017 01:13PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: It's Kind of a Funny Story 1 4 Aug 16, 2017 01:09AM
Book vs Movie 4 49 May 02, 2017 11:57AM
  • Last Night I Sang to the Monster
  • Derby Girl
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • Going Bovine
  • Get Well Soon (Anna Bloom, #1)
  • My Most Excellent Year
  • Clean
  • Hold Still
  • Brooklyn, Burning
  • Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Vizzini grew up primarily in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn in New York City. He attended Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan, graduating in 1999. While still a teenager, he began to write articles for the New York Press, an alternative newspaper.

After he wrote an essay that got published by the New York Times Magazine, several of his essays about his young adult life ended up being combi
More about Ned Vizzini...

“I didn't want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that's really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you're so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” 5717 likes
“I can't eat and I can't sleep. I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human, you know?” 2201 likes