Save Our Cozies Readathon discussion

Readathon Hourly Challenges > Hour 2 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine My all-time favorite cozy series is the Christine Bennett books by Lee Harris. Christine is a former nun who leaves the convent and ends up becoming an amateur sleuth. I love the books because they seem so simple but are so well-written and clever.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 13 comments Aww man! How can you pick just one? I have so many that I love, but I guess I will talk about Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen Baking Mysteries. I love the characters, the different relationships, the story lines, the recipes, and everything else about the books. I have read all of them except the most recent and they are great!
I think these were probably my first introduction to cozy mysteries.

message 3: by Randa (new)

Randa My current favorite cozy series is Victoria Thompson "murder on...." The gaslight series. I like the writing for the most part, the era, and the characters. The characters tend to compliment each other and make reading rather enjoyable.

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (ordinaryknitter) | 15 comments I love so many different series. I don't believe that I can choose an overall favorite.

My favorite cozy mystery that I have read this year is Killer Jam by Karen MacInerney. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. I enjoyed the storyline and characters. I am also interested in homesteading, which added to my enjoyment of book.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (getintothesun) | 8 comments My all time favorite is the Cat Who... series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (rivertam) | 24 comments I love the Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. I love the family in the series they sound like fun interesting people.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 30 comments I have to agree with Elizabeth, there are so many that I really like.
Monic Ferris, Leighann Dobbs ( She has at least 4 I read), Dianne Mott Davidson and Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen Baking Mysteries and the list goes on. I really like A Needlecraft Mystery. Betsy Devonshire inherits her store from her sister and is constantly being asked to help find the killer in her communities. She is assisted by the needle workers, especially Lars & Jill ( police officer & former police officer). There is humor throughout the book.

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Randa wrote: "My current favorite cozy series is Victoria Thompson "murder on...." The gaslight series. I like the writing for the most part, the era, and the characters. The characters tend to compliment each o..."

I love that one too! Love historical fiction. Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy series is another good one.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kristi wrote: "I love so many different series. I don't believe that I can choose an overall favorite.

My favorite cozy mystery that I have read this year is Killer Jam by [author:Karen MacInerne..."

I have Killer Jam but haven't read it yet. I LOVE her Gray Whale Inn series.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kathleen wrote: "I have to agree with Elizabeth, there are so many that I really like.
Monic Ferris, Leighann Dobbs ( She has at least 4 I read), Dianne Mott Davidson and Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen Baking Myster..."

Yes, the Betsy Devonshire books are soooo good!

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 8 comments I love the Pennsylvania Dutch mysteries by Tamar Myers. I enjoy Magdalena's sense of humor.

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell It's hard to pick only one. One of my favorite series is the Maine Clambake series by Barbara Ross. The mysteries are well-written. I like the characters and the stories.

message 13: by Terri (last edited Jul 15, 2016 10:39PM) (new)

Terri Crossley | 35 comments My favorite series would be Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series! Every book is hilarious and I learned some very interesting facts about birds that I would have never known!

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri Crossley | 35 comments Shelley wrote: "I love the Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. I love the family in the series they sound like fun interesting people."

I love this series also! I don't know who makes me laugh harder the Meg's father or her crazy cousins!

message 15: by Karen-Leigh (new)

Karen-Leigh | 32 comments Terri wrote: "My favorite series would be Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series! Every book is hilarious and I learned some very interesting facts about birds that I would have never known!"

I collect over 75 different series and Donna Andrews is definitely my favourite. In fact, it is the one series I am still buying in paperback when all the others are on my Kindle.

message 16: by Lin (new)

Lin  | 6 comments Its hard to pick just one series. Each author, even if the same theme has their own style so each is exciting. Sally Goldenbaum was my first cozy author. Each of her characters work well with each other and project geniune love. The location is great as well.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Riley | 23 comments I like so many too but the one I keep up with the most is the flower shop mysteries by Kate Collins. Love her mom and cousin because you never know what they will come up with.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori | 2 comments I think my favorite woud have to be the lucy stone series by Leslie Meier mostly because it was the first one i really read. I also like the royal spyness by rhys bowen

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Hockman | 13 comments I have a number of favorites but the relationship between Sally Goldenbaum's characters really speak to me.

message 20: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 163 comments Ronnie wrote: "
via GIPHY

Hour 2 Challenge!
A quick and simple challenge sing the praises of your favorite cozy. What's your favorite cozy/cozy series? What about it do you like? Tell us down below."

Too many favorites! Agatha Christie's Poirot / Miss Marple / Tuppence and Tommy is my all time favorite.

Current favorite: two series by Ellie Alexander

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I'm going to go with my first cozy series by Diane Mott Davidson as she introduced me to the cozy mysteries.

message 22: by Patrizia (new)

Patrizia | 22 comments I love too many series: it's impossible choose one!

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 8 comments One of my favorite cozy series is the Consignment Shop Mystery series by Duffy Brown I really enjoy her style of writing!

And another favorite of mine is the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. Love the bakery and cupcake theme!

message 25: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 163 comments Diana wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "
via GIPHY

Hour 2 Challenge!
A quick and simple challenge sing the praises of your favorite cozy. What's your favorite cozy/cozy series? What about it do you like? Tell us down bel..."

one is by Ellie Alexander and the other is by Kate Seeley-Dyer

message 26: by Anna Catharina (new)

Anna Catharina There are so many... my actual favourite is a german cozy mystery serie: Winston by Frauke Scheunemann. Winston is a British Short Hair cat and he solves little mysteries with his friends.

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Anna Catharina, I added Winston (French edition) to my wish list as Amazon does not have it in English.

message 28: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jul 16, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 17 comments There are so many to choose from, and too many that I haven't read or have only read the first book. My favorite also depends on my mood. Some of them are:

Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood. When I'm reading one of them I picture the characters from the tv show. Essie Davis makes an ideal Phryne with her spirit. I also love the setting, time and place-wise.

Chet and Bernie by Spencer Quinn is wonderful. Chet has such a way with words - he's one of my favorite characters of all time.

Charles Todd's Bess Crawford is more serious in tone. Bess has strong morals which lead her to having to investigate. Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs is another strong character. The books settings of WWI and the following years are very interesting and have provided me with more knowledge of that period

I suppose my favorites revolve around dogs and historical cozies, providing pure enjoyment and learning more history.

message 29: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 163 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "There are so many to choose from, and too many that I haven't read or have only read the first book. My favorite also depends on my mood. Some of them are:

Maisie Dobbs is a favorite of mine. I am relatively new to Bess Crawford and like what I've read so far.

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 7 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood. When I'm reading one of them I picture the characters from the tv show. Essie Davis makes an ideal Phryne with her spirit. I also love the setting, time and place-wise."

I read the first few before the television series began, so my views of the characters are slightly different. And I'm not exactly happy the television series took a departure from the books in some major ways with the characters' stories, but it's been fun to watch.

I live southeast of Melbourne, so it's really fun for me to read the books and then be able to go to the places and see how little many of them have changed in the intervening years. Melbourne has really done well with the historic preservation so you can still see many of the same buildings in place from the books. And it makes it really nice for the television series to be able to film in the exact locations.

I was lucky enough to be able to go to the exhibit of costumes at Ripponlea, which is one of the filming locations. It was such fun to see the costumes and be able to wander about the location and pretend to be Phryne.

It is a great series of books, I hope you enjoy them all. My personal favorite was Murder in Montparnasse, but I have enjoyed almost all of them.