Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 111 'Out of this world' Mod Neil

Comments Showing 1-50 of 205 (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jul 17, 2016 05:46AM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 4070 comments Mod
This is a genre specific group.
Only adult fiction books classified as scifi, fantasy, dystopian and paranormal/supernatural are allowed.
In joining this group you have agreed TO READ AND REVIEW ANY FOUR ALLOCATED BOOKS within the set 12 week limit.

Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate preferences. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – even within the same genre, we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Make sure you have an author profile set up before you join and that your book is available for sale on amazon (not pre-0rder).

Please let me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available, but reciprocal reviews within the group are strictly prohibited.

Once we have ten members, I'll set up the order of reviewing and we can get started.

Your group moderator will be
Neil Carstairs

Member Links
1.Katherine Espano
2.K.A. Lentz
3.James Hockley
4.David J. Tucker
5.Frank Palumbo
6.Kristy Cooper
7.Joshua C. Cook
8.Chrys Cymri
9.E.M. Swift-Hook
10.Jeanne Foguth

Book Links
1.The Infinity Bloom
2.The Reaper Realm: Threads of Compassion
3.Fear's Union
4.Genesis - the Battle Within (Pillars of Creation, #1).
5.Sullen Falls
6.The Departed
7.Bridgefinders
8.The Temptation of Dragons
9.The Fated Sky: Transgressor Trilogy Book One
10.Star Bridge

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Espano | 11 comments I'd like to participate with my book, The Infinity Bloom:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 3: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Quick of the mark Katherine, welcome aboard.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Espano | 11 comments Thanks, Emma! :)

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Lentz (kalentz) I'd like to be added to the list for The Reaper Realm: Threads of Compassion

message 6: by E.M. (last edited Jul 15, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 3278 comments Mod
As I have completed my required reviews in Group 103 - am I free to apply here?

If so, would be with The Fated Sky: Transgressor Trilogy Book One again.

message 7: by David (new)

David Tucker (Teachertron) | 73 comments I would like to also participate with my book:

Genesis - the Battle Within (Pillars of Creation, #1). by David J. Tucker

David J. Tucker

Ta :)

message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Cooper | 19 comments I would like to add my YA dystopian thriller: The Departed https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

I am currently already reading and reviewing Katherine Espano's The Infinity Bloom for another group, so I cannot be assigned her book.

Thanks!

message 9: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

If you have finished all 4 of your reviews in your other round you can join up.

message 10: by E.M. (new)

Thanks for the info Emma - and thanks for adding me here. Looking forward to some great summer reading :)

message 11: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Hi, Please forgive the question, but I am somewhat new to Goodreads. I have a newly released novel, July 15, 2016, and am interested in getting it reviewed. I have PDF copies to hand out. the book Sullen Falls is available on Amazon. It is a dark fantasy/horror if that is acceptable.

Here is the back cover blurb
Deep below Sullen Falls
stirs an ancient evil.
Seth left Sullen Falls monastery five years ago in search of answers to his life. With the unexpected appearance of a comet, he is lured back to the town he once called home. There he discovers that an evil warps those he cared about and threatens the woman he loved–Sophia.

The Coughlins thought that vacationing in the scenic campgrounds of Sullen Falls would provide the respite from the crazy world and build a closer bond between parents and teen children. Drawn into town by what appears to be a festival, the family of four is plummeted into a nightmare none can awake.

The secret to defeat the evil lies in an ancient book, guarded by the last of an order thought to be extinct. To save Sullen Falls, the Coughlins and Sophia, Seth must find the tome and accept his destiny, even if it would cost him everything that is dear to him.
Sullen Falls
Sullen Falls by Frank Julius Palumbo
Thank you for your time and help, Frank

message 12: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome aboard Frank, this group is filling nicely.

message 13: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Thank you Emma. Please let me know what to do next. I have never done this before. Thank you, Frank

message 14: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

When we have our ten members, I'll allocate each member four books to review, and four different member to review your book. It is your responsibility to get your book to your reviewers. Everyone has to accept PDF, although most people can offer mobi or epub files as well/ Some people download the book via KU, if it is in the scheme.
Hope that helps.

message 15: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Got it, Thank you. Looking forward to being a part of the group. Cheers Frank

message 16: by E.M. (new)

Frank wrote: "I have never done this before."

Welcome Frank! This is my second-time around and I can promise you the process is both entirely painless and very enjoyable. I have made some friends, read some awesome books and had some good laughs too.

Everyone is very helpful and someone will always explain anything you need to know and answer questions. You will be told what needs doing - on this thread - when the group has filled up, until then kick back and enjoy :)

message 17: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Cooper | 19 comments Emma wrote: "When we have our ten members, I'll allocate each member four books to review, and four different member to review your book. It is your responsibility to get your book to your reviewers. Everyone h..."

Hi Emma,
I listed my book above, but have not gotten added to the list (I want to make sure I don't miss out since it seems to be forming quite quickly). Is it not qualified for some reason? Thank you.

message 18: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Thank you everyone. Very excited!

message 19: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jul 16, 2016 05:23AM) (new)

Sorry Kristy, I assumed when you meant you were in another group, you meant another round here. I'll add you now and keep you and Katherine apart.

message 20: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Cook | 23 comments I would like to ad my book Bridgefinders https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks! :)

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Cooper | 19 comments Emma wrote: "Sorry Kristy, I assumed when you meant you were in another group, you meant another round here. I'll add you now and keep you and Katherine apart."

OK, thanks. Sorry I wasn't more clear!

message 22: by Chrys (last edited Jul 16, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Chrys Cymri | 420 comments Mod
I'd like to participate with 'The Temptation of Dragons':

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Joshua Cook has reviewed this novel on a previous round, but I have other books I could offer him instead.

message 23: by James (new)

James Hockley (hockleyjames) | 38 comments Go on then - I'll give another round a go! I've completed my reviews in round 104.

I'd like to join with Fear's Union (fantasy).

I have been reviewed by Chrys Cymri, and I have reviewed Bridgefinders by Joshua C. Cook.

Many thanks

message 24: by E.M. (new)

Is it me, or is this round filling up rather sharpish? ;)

message 25: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Yep, I think we can fit Chrys and James in.

it does seem like we are more 'out of this world' than in it.

message 26: by David (new)

David Tucker (Teachertron) | 73 comments 1 more to go :)

message 27: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Foguth (jeannefoguth) | 44 comments I would like to include Star Bridge by Jeanne Foguth - don't know why Goodreads still shows the old cover.
Jeanne Foguth

message 28: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome aboard Jeanne. You can change the default cover that shows on your book page by adding a new edition.

We have out ten members. I'll sort out the reading order for everyone ASAP. Watch this space.

message 29: by E.M. (new)

Emma wrote: "Watch this space."

*watches* ;)

message 30: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Jeanne had signed up for two groups (partially my fault as I missed her sign up for the novella round). I'm just waiting for her to decide which she would like to be in. Plus, its Sunday afternoon. Might not get to it today, but I'll try.

message 31: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Foguth (jeannefoguth) | 44 comments Emma wrote: "Jeanne had signed up for two groups (partially my fault as I missed her sign up for the novella round). I'm just waiting for her to decide which she would like to be in. Plus, its Sunday afternoon...."
Emma, I am fine with this. And I would have been fine with Group 10. Thank you for accepting Star Bridge.

message 32: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

So which group do you want to be in?

message 33: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Foguth (jeannefoguth) | 44 comments 11 is fine with me.

message 34: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

cool.

message 35: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jul 17, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

START DATE: 17th July 1016

END DATE: 9th Oct 2016

Round 1 – post your review by 7th Aug
Round 2 – post your review by 28th Aug
Round 3 – post your review by 18th Sept
Round 4 – post your review by 9th Oct

As AUTHORS you send your book file to:

111-01__ Katherine Espano
Jeanne Foguth for round 1
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 2
Chrys Cymri for round 3
Joshua C Cook for round 4

111-02__ K.A. Lentz
Katherine Espano for round 1
Jeanne Foguth for round 2
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 3
Chrys Cymri for round 4

111-03__ James Hockley
K.A. Lentz for round 1
Katherine Espano for round 2
Jeanne Foguth for round 3
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 4

111-04__ David J. Tucker
James Hockley for round 1
K.A. Lentz for round 2
Katherine Espano for round 3
Jeanne Foguth for round 4

111-05__ Frank Palumbo
David J. Tucker for round 1
James Hockley for round 2
K.A. Lentz for round 3
Katherine Espano for round 4

111-06__ Kristy Cooper
Frank Palumbo for round 1
David J. Tucker for round 2
James Hockley for round 3
K.A. Lentz for round 4

111-07__ Joshua C Cook
Kristy Cooper for round 1
Frank Palumbo for round 2
David J. Tucker for round 3
James Hockley for round 4

111-08__ Chrys Cymri
Joshua C Cook for round 1
Kristy Cooper for round 2
Frank Palumbo for round 3
David J. Tucker for round 4

111-09__ E.M. Swift-Hook
Chrys Cymri for round 1
Joshua C Cook for round 2
Kristy Cooper for round 3
Frank Palumbo for round 4

111-10__ Jeanne Foguth
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 1
Chrys Cymri for round 2
Joshua C Cook for round 3
Kristy Cooper for round 4

As REVIEWERS you will receive books for review from:

111-01__ Katherine Espano
K.A. Lentz for round 1
James Hockley for round 2
David J. Tucker for round 3
Frank Palumbo for round 4

111-02__ K.A. Lentz
James Hockley for round 1
David J. Tucker for round 2
Frank Palumbo for round 3
Kristy Cooper for round 4

111-03__ James Hockley
David J. Tucker for round 1
Frank Palumbo for round 2
Kristy Cooper for round 3
Joshua C Cook for round 4

111-04__ David J. Tucker
Frank Palumbo for round 1
Kristy Cooper for round 2
Joshua C Cook for round 3
Chrys Cymri for round 4

111-05__ Frank Palumbo
Kristy Cooper for round 1
Joshua C Cook for round 2
Chrys Cymri for round 3
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 4

111-06__ Kristy Cooper
Joshua C Cook for round 1
Chrys Cymri for round 2
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 3
Jeanne Foguth for round 4

111-07__ Joshua C Cook
Chrys Cymri for round 1
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 2
Jeanne Foguth for round 3
Katherine Espano for round 4

111-08__ Chrys Cymri
E.M. Swift-Hook for round 1
Jeanne Foguth for round 2
Katherine Espano for round 3
K.A. Lentz for round 4

111-09__ E.M. Swift-Hook
Jeanne Foguth for round 1
Katherine Espano for round 2
K.A. Lentz for round 3
James Hockley for round 4

111-10__ Jeanne Foguth
K.A. Lentz for round 2

Please remember the commitment you are making to your fellow group members. If you pull out after the start date for any reason it is the other members who will be faced with the problem of finding a replacement, or missing out on reviews, through no fault of their own. Please don’t ask the moderators to chase after replacements as we just don’t have the time.

It is the responsibility of the author to get their book to their reviewer in a format the reviewer can manage. Everyone must be able to accept and supply PDF. There are no set dates for the start of each round. You can each work at your own pace, within the limits of the round deadlines.

When you have posted your reviews, please post the three links to your reviews in this thread.

All reviews must be posted to GR, Amazon .com and Amazon.co.uk.

Postings to any other sites are by agreement by both author and reviewer.

If I’ve missed something that results in you being asked to review someone who has already reviewed you, please let me know asap.

To exchange book files, my advice is to use PM to give email addresses to each other (save the chance of spammers getting your addies from this open forum). I'll stay with you until your mod takes over as your group moderator. Happy reviewing, everyone :)

message 36: by James (new)

James Hockley (hockleyjames) | 38 comments Hi Emma. You have me down to review Bridgefinders by Joshua C Cook, but I made a comment that I have already reviewed this book.

message 37: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 670 comments Hello and welcome everyone

Thanks once again to Emma for doing all the work in setting up this Review Round.

Have a quick read through the following points to familiarise yourself with the process.

1. The authors are responsible for the delivery of their respective "books" to the reviewers. The usual formats are pdf, mobi/kindle, and epub.

2. Reviews should be honest (e.g., you must have read the book in full) and civil. But your review does not have to be Positive (three stars or more). There should not be any discussion of the reviews on the Group thread. A 'Thank You' should suffice.

3. Reviewers should avoid "spoilers."

4. Reviews should identify, with examples if appropriate, what the reviewer liked or did not like about the book - the writing/language/style, plot, characters, etc. Errors, formatting issues, etc., should be commented upon in a helpful manner.

5. Reviewers are not obligated to provide a "critique" or edit of the book though everyone is encouraged to be as helpful as possible. Please communicate these "extras" through the personal messaging function of Goodreads.

6. Post the links to your reviews (Goodreads, Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk) in this group thread for our collective benefit. Please try to wait for all three links to be ready before posting to keep things nice and neat. For Amazon you will receive a confirmation email with a direct link to your review.

7. There is no need to review in the given order, and no need to wait until deadline day to post reviews. Feel free to read and review four books in four days if you so wish.

8. If you have any problems in your real life that might cause delays to posting reviews please drop me a line either through this thread or by private message. We all encounter day to day issues (work, sickness etc) and you will find all moderators understanding and sympathetic, we just like to know.

For those new to this Group here are a couple of links that should help you along your way:

What is a review and how do I write one

How to send a private message

I have checked the author links at the top of this thread and they all work and all authors are set to allow messages to be sent to them so we should be ready for me to say ready, steady, go!

message 38: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jul 17, 2016 08:20AM) (new)

James, Joshua has other books you can review, sometimes its necessary to change the book being reviewed in order to fit everybody in.
As Neil has put in an appearance, I'll scuttle off to set up some more groups.

message 39: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 670 comments Thanks, Emma, enjoy your scuttling

message 40: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Hi everyone. My email is frankpalumbo777@gmail.com. Authors, please send you books for me to review to that email. Reviewers, you can email me if you want, and I will send you my book via your email. Or, I will send it however you wish. Thank you all, and good luck!

message 41: by James (new)

James Hockley (hockleyjames) | 38 comments Fair enough - I shall speak to Joshua and see what he would like me to review this time. Thanks.

message 42: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 670 comments Hi Frank,

We'd normally recommend not posting email addresses to threads as they can be picked up and used by spammers. Private message is the best way to contact other authors

message 43: by Frank (new)

Frank Palumbo | 24 comments Thank you Neil.

message 44: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Cook | 23 comments Just a friendly note, something that's nice for authors to do is if you and the author are both on Kindle Unlimited, getting their book that way gives me a tiny amount of $$, and the review shows up as a 'verified review'

Josh

message 45: by E.M. (new)

Joshua wrote: "Just a friendly note, something that's nice for authors to do is if you and the author are both on Kindle Unlimited, getting their book that way gives me a tiny amount of $$, and the review shows up as a 'verified review."

I totally agree it is a great idea for folks on Unlimited to do this - one kind reviewer did that for me in the last group I was in. But their review still did not show up as verified, so not sure that necessarily works out all the time.

message 46: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 670 comments Yep, good point, Joshua

message 47: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jul 17, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

KU 'borrows' do not come up as 'verified' as the book is not bought, merely borrowed.

message 48: by E.M. (new)

Emma wrote: "KU 'borrows' do not come up as 'verified' as the book is not bought, merely borrowed."

The big advantage is there is no need to mention that it was a review copy, as it was not.

I have just taken a free trial on Unlimited (something I had been resisting as I believe it deprives indie authors of proper sales) as it has a month free trial. Hopefully I can support the authors I am reviewing that way, if their books are available on the scheme.

message 49: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Foguth (jeannefoguth) | 44 comments This is the first Goodreads Review Group I've been involved with, so I'm not positive how it works. Specifically, are the 4 books assigned or do we choose which ones we want to read?
Star Bridge is available on Kindle Unlimited. IF you're assigned Star Bridge (assuming reading is assigned) and/or if you choose to read it, but don't have a KU account, please message me and I will be happy to send you a complimentary pdf copy.

message 50: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 670 comments Hi Jeanne

They are assigned. If you look up at message 35 you will find under As REVIEWERS you will receive books for review from: your name followed by four books/authors that you will be reading and reviewing. For you it will be:

111-10__ Jeanne Foguth
K.A. Lentz for round 2

dates for the rounds are also given at the top of the message

« previous 1 3 4 5