What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Romance with blind/disabled heroine who doesn't "get better"

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Would love some suggestions for a blind/deaf/disabled heroine. Just read a fantastic beauty & the beast type story with a blind leading lady who, of course, miraculously recovers her eyesight at the end. That's usually the way things go: surgery, a knock on the head, love, magic... anyone know good romance books where it's just accepted but the love's still there?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Here are some lists that might be of interest:
Paralyzed/Lame:
https://www.rtbookreviews.com/forum-t...

Deaf/Hearing Impaired:

Blind/Eye-Patch:

message 3: by Bernie (new)

Bernie (muttersome) | 12 comments I just read Silent Melody and enjoyed it. The heroine is deaf and remains so throughout the book.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (celticoracle) | 27 comments Deafening by Frances Itani (I'm on mobile, so can't link properly - sorry!)

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments It's not the heroine but the hero who is blind in this historical romance, but he does not regain his sight at the end in Fortune Favors the Wicked.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Katie MacAlister has this with several of the heroines in her Dark Ones series. Even becoming the mate of a vampire doesn't "heal" the problems, so the women stay scarred, lame etc. Not ALL of them are like this, but there are several that are. Also, Katie uses a bit of humour in her series, so is a fun read.

Sex and the Single Vampire is, I believe one of the ones where the heroine is handicapped.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 6 comments These are both historical romances, the women went blind as children and stay blind
The Secrets of Mia Danvers by Robyn DeHart
The Parfit Knight by Stella Riley

message 8: by Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ (last edited Jul 17, 2016 01:31AM) (new)

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Thank you everyone!! They all sound like great reads & are going straight onto my to-do list :)

Edit: Found one completely accidentally: Never Seduce a Scot

message 9: by Zakle (last edited Jul 17, 2016 07:09AM) (new)

Zakle | 104 comments I recommend The Last Wish series by Lurlene McDaniel. The entire series (12 books) deals with ill people and their last wishes given to them by an anonymous group called One Last Wish.

It deals with things such as cystic fibrosis, brain tumors, leukemia, transplants, and diabetes.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 128 comments Not a book per se but a play that you might check out...

Children of a Lesser God It's been years but as I recall, it involves a relationship between a hearing man and a student at a school for the deaf.

message 11: by Christen (new)

Christen Wright | 93 comments The Edge of Darkness, the main girl is blind in the second book she starts to get better, but it just her being able to see colors then she losses the colors so she doesn't get better.

message 12: by Christen (new)

Christen Wright | 93 comments Archer's Voice love this book I know it's not what your asking for since it's the hero that can't speak, but when ever anyone is looking for a disable hero/heroine book I HAVE to tell them about this one. One of my favs

message 13: by BookNerdLife (new)

BookNerdLife | 53 comments Wolf Signs
I don't think the heroine gets better in the end.

message 14: by Astraea (new)

Astraea (astraeagroup) | 33 comments This isn't a romance, it's a children's narrative in which nobody gets "better".
Windows for Rosemary

message 15: by Melanie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 01:44AM) (new)

message 16: by Anny (last edited Jul 26, 2016 08:00PM) (new)

Anny | 11 comments I'm not sure if dwarfism count as disability, but if you're interested do check Stones from the River. Rest assured that the main character won't get bigger and be 'normal' by the end of the book.

Also, I'm currently reading All the Light We Cannot See and the heroine is a blind girl. Finger crossed she stayed blind in the end.

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 20 comments Silent Revenge by Laura Landon I really enjoyed.

message 18: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments The Storyteller's Daughter was a nice retelling of the Arabian Nights. Shahrazad is blind and a very strong heroine. I'm almost sure that she never regains her sight but it has been many years since I last read it.

message 19: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments By Cameron Dokey*

message 20: by Historic_Heroine (new)

Historic_Heroine | 74 comments Here is the link to Kirstin's suggestion! The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights

message 21: by Yhett (new)

Yhett | 11 comments Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson
Annie Trimble lives in a solitary world that no one enters or understands. As delicate and beautiful as the tender blossoms of the Oregon spring, she is shunned by a town that misinterprets her affliction. But cruelty cannot destroy the love Annie holds in her heart.

Alex Montgomery is horrified to learn his wild younger brother forced himself on a helpless "idiot girl." Tormented by guilt, Alex agrees to marry her and raise the baby she carries as his own. But he never dreams he will grow to cherish his lovely, mute, and misjudged Annie; her childlike innocence, her womanly charms and the wondrous way she views her world. He becomes determined to break through the wall of silence surrounding her; to heal... and to be healed by Annie's sweet song of love.