Start by marking “Silent Revenge” as Want to Read:
Silent Revenge

Silent Revenge

In just six days, Lady Jessica Stanton will turn twenty-five and inherit enough money to make her one of England’s wealthiest women. And when that happens, her stepbrother Colin will swoop in to take it all—along with her freedom. The only solution: find a husband strong enough to stand up to Colin. But even if she’s able to find someone able to protect her, what man will ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Montlake Romance (first published August 27th 2012)

Start your review of Silent Revenge
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
Well, I read it more than a month ago and forgot to review. So here goes.
I liked it, liked the h/H (H only after some way into the book), the plot is good, the villain and ow behave beautifully (read aptly and very evilly).

The h (along with her wealth, of course) wants to escape her evil step brother's clutches and only marriage can save her. She sees this dissolute man who thumbs his nose at the ton and sees nirvana. Only he's an ass, but a contrary principled ass who won't sell himself for mo
angela
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love does concur

Aww what an extraordinary romance and that old saying love concurs all is certainly true. This was a very good dreamy love story, that I enjoyed very much.
Lu
Great marriage of convenience story: wallflower (with a secret disability) and cold man set on revenge.

Jessica is a wallflower that keeps a secret (a disability) from the ton. When she inherits a fortune her stepbrother comes after her set on sending her to an asylum and on stealing her money.
A marriage of convenience seems to be the only solution for her problem and she ends up with Lord Northcote, a cold and unfeeling man set on revenge.
The story is emotional, beautiful and well-written.
Great
Tandie
DNF at 85%. A bit cheesy, but I kept listening to the audio during a long drive. Devolved into a nonsensical melodrama. Jessica is Mary Sue Martyr. Gag. Simon is Uber Alpha with a touch of Drama Queen. Repetitive dialogue and choppy writing really put the last nail in the coffin. I couldn't get myself to care enough to finish the last 15%. The characters were getting even more OTT cheesy, and the poorly manufactured angst was ridiculous.
Pulled the plug. Not even going to donate the organs.
Debby
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-k-l
Definitely a marriage of convenience. Lady Jessica Stanton needs a husband to protect her from her vicious step-brother who is capable of putting her into an asylum all because she is hearing impaired. Simon Warland, Earl of Northcote needs money to restore his family inheritance that his father squandered away after he married his ex-fiance. Both have emotional baggage that they bring to the marriage, but an unexpected attraction and passion seeps its way in their marriage agreement.

When the s
Sumaira
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
There is always a book that you read and think what is everyone going on about? Have I just read a completely different book? Silent Revenge is such a book for me. I feel really bad only giving it 2 stars but I could not get on with the books.

The story starts off with Jessica attending a ball and sitting off to the side because she wants to blend in as a wallflower. She does not want to draw attention to herself and discourages any male interest. The only reason Jessica has decided to attend the
Gerbera_Reads
This book was very promising when I read the blurb but it didn't live up to my expectations. The villain was far-fetched and the love between the MCs felt non-existent.

Jessica is a recluse. She is the secret legendary modiste who provides designs for ladies' gowns, she is a wallflower but this is because she is deaf. She dreads that people will know so she keeps to herself. She played the part of proud and strong woman until the villain comes prancing in and then she has to have a husband. Yeah
BookMaven
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to BookMaven by: Daily Cheap Reads website
Lady Jessica Stanton has just been told that she must marry by her 25th Birthday which is 6 days away or her evil step-brother will have her committed to an asylum in order to steal her inheritance. She believes he can do this because she has a frailty which could give her step-brother cause in the eyes of Regency England. If she marries by her birthday, her fortune would go to her husband, and her husband could protect her from her step-brother's evil intent, if she picks a strong, powerful hus ...more
Tanya Sridhar
Looks like I've found another KU author! Yay!

I thoroughly enjoyed this MOC book, and despite it having a very run of the mill set up I found it refershing in a way. Will definitely be reading more by the author.

Jessica Stanton has a secret, one she must keep from the world at all costs. And this secret has kept her hidden away from polite society for long enough, but when circumstances force her out of her carefully sheltered life she realizes she isn't as inedept as she's believed herself to
Cheesecake
Jessica and Simon. A heroine who has hidden her deafness from the Ton since she was a girl. An anti hero who is at first a complete jerk... well actually he's a jerk over and over again. But eventually pulls his head out of his arse. A psychopathic villain. A handful of friends. A self absorbed vain step mother with loose morals (to say the least).
I've never read this author before and was expecting a rather fluffy historical romp and it does start out rather boring. But once word comes that Je
azerjaban
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF at 48%.

I picked up this book because I was intrigued by the deaf heroine plot line. Off the bat the hero was horribly disgustingly rude. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt (he was drunk, he's depressed.. He was really drunk) but the author has to write their first kiss in that scene really? The one where he insults and disgraces her?

But the hero got no better in the next scene where he's again disgustingly rude- and sober. He says quote "“Or perhaps His Grace doesn’t know that you
Zoe
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the typical Lauran Landon charms with 2 characters after my own heart. I have always loved her characters and this book is no exception.

At the same time, this book also has the same weaknesses of her other books: rather typical settings and unoriginal plots. Simon and Jessica married out of convenience. Simon needed Jessica's money and Jessica needed a husband to get away from her evil stepbrother, who incidentlly was Simon's archenemy. The plots really aren't all that great,
KP Pryce
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found the heroine's angry ruminations (about the things the hero was making her do when she had yet to even explain her avoidance of those things) tedious.

Okay the lady is deaf, but I quickly lost sympathy for her. Ditto the hero, who made much ado about marrying her for her money and to protect her from her stepbrother, but never really got the nerve to tell her about his thirst for revenge against said stepbrother.

They were as bad as each other, and lamentably self-pitying.

I also found it in
Gilgamesha
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was the typical damsel in distress and knight in shinning armors to the rescue. But I really enjoyed reading this book which is a true indicator of Landon's writing prowess. She is a magician that tricks you into believing you have had the time of your life enjoying an unbelievable phenomena. I enjoy her magic tricks despite knowing what they are.
Niki (mustreadalltheromance)
Reclusive Jessica Stanton has resolved to be independent and focused on her secret endeavors as a designer of spectacular lady's gowns. Jessica can barely even bring herself to accept an invitation to a ball as she strives to hide her deafness from society, but when her solicitor informs her that she is to receive a large fortune upon her 25th birthday as an inheritance from her late father, Jessica believes her independence is assured. Unfortunately, her greedy stepbrother Colin, Baron Tanhill, ...more
Lorka
Oct 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-at-all
I rarely spend money to purchase ebooks these days, as I already have a huge collection waiting to be read and/or the library has tons that I still need to read. Having said that, I saw this book advertised on BookBub as being on sale for only $0.99 and the blurb looked perfect. Marriage of Convenience, then falls in love...

Well, it WAS a marriage of convenience. And they DID agree to marry each other strictly for their own reasons that had nothing to do with love. The heroine really needed the
Preethi Venugopala
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fairytale romance from page one.
Jessica has two big secrets and so has Simon.
When they both agree to a marriage of convenience, it fulfills both their needs. But they hadn't expected that their secrets would put the love that blossomed between them and their lives in danger.
Will they find a happily ever after when a fiend of a man is out to get them?
Read to find out.
Darbella
Julija
Silent Revenge is the kind of book that reeeeally makes me need those damn half-stars. Because it's not quite fit to be on the ever-growing shelf of three-star (read: meh) romances but not quite good enough for the special four either. Insert my Very Sad face here.

The thing is, I love revenge plots. Especially when they consume a character entirely. It's always so much fun to see them ruin every single thing in their lives. This book does have a revenge plot. A quite solid one, at that. But unf
Caron Pescatore
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I loved this story. It's the second book I've read by this author. The first was Intimate Deception, which was also a five star read for me. The plot in Silent Revenge is fast paced and completely engaging. The heroine is courageous, intelligent, and well defined. The hero is emotionally flawed. He is a man tormented by events in his past including a bitter betrayal by the woman he loved. Consequently, he is angry, bitter, distrusting, and determined to never again put his heart in the h
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Silent Revenge by Laura Landon Laura Landon

Laura has done it again. This the first historical romance I have read about a deaf heroine. Jessica lost her hearing in childhood from a fever. The same fever that took her mother. She lives a lonely, quiet and shattered life. She only goes out to ball to see the haute ton woman wearing the creations she has designed. She has one friend Melinda, a duchess, and they both keep the two secrets of her live, that she is deaf and also that she is the London's famous design. Jessica l
Kathy Martin
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely historical romance. Lady Jessica Stanton needs a husband fast. She will turn 25 in just a few days and will be inheriting a vast fortune from her father. Her evil stepbrother Colin is determined to commit her to an asylum so that all the lovely money will be his.

Simon Westland, Earl of Northcote, needs money fast to save his family estates from being repossessed. His profligate father and the woman he married, who just happens to have been Simon's fiance, have spent all the mo
Karen Wilson
Charlie
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a load of rubbish!
How was it that the only person that Jessica could marry just so happened to be best friends with her best friends AND also her brother's nemesis?

Her disability was an original idea that is worth credit, but it was totally diminished by her preternatural ability to read lips.

Last, but certainly not least, the overuse of the swear words "bloody hell" really ground at me. That was NOT the only way to swear at the time. I haven't been able to find out where the author is from
Melania Ramona
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-ish
It was painful to finish this book. I wanted to give it up several times, but then I thought "I have already lost time over this, might as well finish it".
I have no problem with the writing, and the story was still interesting and even original, but what killed it for me was the romance. From the terrible lack of communication to the jerk-ish hero who changed his attitude much too late for me, this romance seemed... off-kilter. Sometimes I liked the heroine, Jess, but even she became annoying wi
Vins
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals, have
Absolutely loved this marriage of convenience story
I liked both the MC's. Simon was arrogant as an earl but he was so sweet at some places and very supportive of Jessica.Jessica with her disability is a strong beautiful heroine.She stands up for herself, i liked reading about her.The story of them falling in love was beautiful to read. There were quite a few sweet moments.
If i had a but , it would only be that , i wish the author had described more tender, romantic moments to prolong it more for
CAITLIN
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rejected
DNF at 75% - the writing quality went downhill and the characters started behaving confusingly. Like, I know it's a romance novel, but SO MANY TEARS over things that aren't the end of the world??? Plus, the "climax" hadn't happened yet at 3/4ths of the way through, and it was setting up to be a predictable/ridiculous confrontation that I just don't have any interest to read. Really sucks since I liked the first half of the book very much! (Which is why I gave it 2 stars instead of 1!)
Shannon Burke
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I found a new favorite author! This was such a unique book that I really cannot compare it to some of the others that I have read and can't wait to read some of Laura Landon's other works of art. The story moved great, there was fun and and excitement! And the way the hero deal's with his Lady's secret just took my breath away!
Elaine
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this audible novel. OMG, this story was so thrilling, made even better by the narrator, Rosalyn Landor. Rosalyn's charming voice and her expertise in speaking female and male parts, and also different accents (even an Indian male), made the story come alive for me. I was flabbergasted at the talent and skill she had shown. I will definitely buy more stories read by Rosalyn.
Sometime
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all the books by this author. I love how her heroines all have a disability large or small and I love seeing what it might have been like to be a disabled person in regency England. The romance between our H/h was so sweet.

Heat level: mild/PG
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 08, 2015 12:54PM

• Undone by the Duke (Secrets in Silk, #1)
  • Pursued by the Rake (Season of Scandal Book 1)
  • Highland Surrender
  • The Viscount's Sinful Bargain (The Dukes' Pact, #1)
  • A Lyon in Her Bed (The Lyon's Den)
  • Never Doubt a Duke (Never, #1)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • The Scoundrel's Score
  • A Dazzling Stranger in the Earl's Arm
  • The Rogue's Wager (Sinful Brides, #1)
  • Defying the Dashing Duke
  • Always the Bluestocking (Never the Bride, #6)
  • Undressed by the Earl (Secrets in Silk, #3)
  • The Marquess' Daring Wager (The Duke's Pact, #2)
  • Fed to the Lyon (The Lyon's Den)
  • Loving a Noble Gentleman
  • An Earl in Wolf's Clothing (Rules of the Rogue, #1)
  • Unlaced by the Outlaw (Secrets in Silk, #4)
Laura Landon taught high school for ten years before leaving the classroom to open her own ice-cream shop. As much as she loved serving up sundaes and malts from behind the counter, she closed up shop after penning her first novel. Now she spends nearly every waking minute writing, guiding her heroes and heroines to find their happily ever afters.

She is the author of more than a dozen historical n