/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

General > Prince of Thorns vs Farseer vs Tigana - Which of these 3 should I read next? Help

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Lanko (new)

Lanko | 16 comments Prince of Thorns is my favorite of the three. Considering your list, Assassin's Apprentice might be more your style, though. If you want to change it a bit, with much more pace and action, definitely go Prince of Thorns.
Haven't read Tigana.

message 3: by Drew (new)

Drew Abendroth | 9 comments Prince of Thorns is the only one I've read, and it was excellent. From what I hear, you really can't go wrong with any of those choices.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Harten Thanks!

message 5: by DJ (new)

DJ | 8 comments I haven't read Tigana, but I have read Prince of Thorn and The Assassins Apprentice. They are very different kinds of fantasy stories (not sure what type of story you are in the mood for) - but both were very good. Personally though, I'd say go with The Prince of Thorns. The Broken Empire trilogy is one of my favorites :)

message 6: by Yefim (last edited Jul 08, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Yefim (fgalkin) | 1 comments I've only read Tigana, and it was pretty good. As in, a lot better than anything by either Rothfuss or Sanderson, albeit perhaps not as good as the top tier of fantasy (whatever that may be, for you).

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt Hageman Having read every book that you listed except The Name of the Wind, I suggest Tigana, but then read Prince of Thorns right after! I didn't enjoy Assassin's apprentice, but you might!

Just read them all.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Harten Matt wrote: "Having read every book that you listed except The Name of the Wind, I suggest Tigana, but then read Prince of Thorns right after! I didn't enjoy Assassin's apprentice, but you might!

Just read the..."

thanks!

read name of the wind it is amazing

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana | 1 comments I haven't read Prince of Thorns or Tigana but the Farseer Trilogy is one of my favorites, I would highly suggest it.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Hughes | 9 comments The Farseer Trilogy is one of my favourites. Very character-based and not lacking in action. It's so beautifully well-written - I found myself having emotional outbursts in the most embarrassing places, (including my kids' local soft play centre) in response to the various plot twists. These are books I keep going back to and falling more in love with them each time I read them. I can highly recommend.

message 11: by Xeyra (new)

Xeyra | 7 comments Tigana is one of my favourite fantasy books ever and I highly recommend it. The Farseer Trilogy and the following series are also amazing. Robin Hobb is an amazing storyteller. To be honest, my advice is to read all of these books you mention in whatever order you feel like, but read them all.

message 12: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Jackson | 2 comments Tirana...It's one of my favorite books.Beautiful prose and really interesting involving characters. I didn't think much of Prince of thorns tbh. I loved the farsear trilogy, the Ship of Magic trilogy and the final Golden fool 3. If you want to be blown away though I'd suggest Erikson's Malazan Tales of the Fallen. Read fantasy all my life and in 43 years I've get to read a better, more well written mind blowing series. Truly the best I've ever read so far. It's not for the faint hearted though as you are dropped right smack in the middle and have to figure your way through learning as you go through. Erikson treats readers with intelligence and an expectation that you don't require babying along. Doing yourself a disservice if you don't try it..

message 13: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Jackson | 2 comments Sorry *Tigana..oops

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Luhman (andrea_luhman) | 8 comments I've read all three and really enjoyed all three. Prince of Thorns has my vote for what you should read first. Assassins Apprentice is my favorite Robin Hobb book. If you haven't read Robin Hobb before you are in for a treat. I liked Tigana, its long and slow, but looking at your recent reads I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem for you. Prince of Thorns and Assassins Apprentice are character driven, which I find more satisfying in a story. Tigana is more plot based. It has a heavy narrative and you can go many pages without dialog or character interaction.

message 15: by Nerva (new)

Nerva Maximus (nerva_maximus) | 3 comments The Farseer trilogy hands down wins from that list... I have not read the Tigana series but I have read the Prince of Thorns and I truly do not get the praise that is heaped on the series.

It is predictable and everything that you would expect from a dystopian fantasy, by which I mean it was trope filled to the point of having nuclear bombs.

The main character is well... I could life with him if he was simply unlikable but it isn't like he is a flat character, he knows why he is the way that he is, he hates the way he is, he hates the people that made him the way he is but he (with thought) refuses to change. To stand up and fight to be something else. It made the series pointless, that series needed to be about how he grows and changes, not about how he is a stubborn ass.

message 16: by Isaurathewriter (new)

Isaurathewriter | 2 comments I do not know how to make my own thread but I have a question.

what 2 books should I get?

The Gentleman Bastard Series books 3 - Mistborn 2-3
or The Name of the Wind and Ken Liu's Paper Menagerie, or The Fifth Season, or Perdido Street Station.

message 17: by Eivind (new)

Eivind Krog Ravndal Hi Isaurathewriter! The name of the wind is one of my favorite fantasy books. I highly recommend it. I just started reading "the lies of lock lamora". It seems good.

message 18: by Eivind (new)

Eivind Krog Ravndal Mistborn trilogy is also really nice.

message 19: by Isaurathewriter (new)

Isaurathewriter | 2 comments what 2 should i read first?

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Luhman (andrea_luhman) | 8 comments I've read great things about Ken Liu's book. I think Mistborn is an easy solid choice. You might want to borrow The Name of the Wind in case you hate it. It's one of those books people either love or hate. Let us know what you picked.